Devonny Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Prince gave her a knowing look. "Gabriel spends much of his time hunting and riding. Elijah joins him on occasion. But there are many parties and balls. There are guests coming and going throughout the season and every young woman within thirty miles is throwing themselves at one or the other, perhaps both. Count yourself lucky that there's a summer staff and you don't have to manage all that."

Devonny nodded and took another bite of her apple. "Honestly, I have no idea what I'm going to be doing with myself. It sounds like little will be needed of me and there are only so many books I can read."

"Ride," Prince suggested. "Orion seems to have taken to you. You can ride, read, and go to balls."

Devonny snorted. "I don't think I'm on the guest list at any balls, Prince."

Prince looked at her seriously. "There are colored balls during the season. I will introduce you to Elizabeth's family. I should think that the two of you should be fast friends and would be happy to chaperon." He wanted to broach the next topic carefully. "Devonny," he said softly. "Perhaps you would meet someone. Someone who can be what you need."

Devonny looked at her hands in her lap. She knew where he was going with this. It wasn't as if she hadn't thought the same things to herself.

"Gabe and Eli are good men," Prince continued. "The best men I know, white or otherwise. But Gabriel can never be what you want."

Devonny shook her head. "I neither want nor expect anything from Gabriel Davenport."

Prince looked chagrined. "Whether he likes it or not, Gabriel wants something from you." His tone was serious. "I've never seen Gabriel in a fury like that. Ever." he said. "I don't think I've ever seen Gabriel lose control like that. Anyone who knows him like I do would know that you've affected him." Prince's voice was soft and hesitant. "I do not mean to embarrass you. Nor would I ever suggest that you would..." he sighed. "Blast it, this is devilishly awkward. "I just don't want to see you hurt."

Devonny smiled at him, a genuine smile. "I know, Prince. Thank you. You're a good friend."

Prince waved off her thanks and stood offering his hand to her, pulling her to her feet. "Ah, I should mind my own business. Come, let's go. Kedleston Hall is just over the next hill."

12