Hunting the Hunter Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So, with that in mind I've coming here to beg assistance. More is better, but at this point I'll take what I can get: information, blessings, spiffy weaponry...whatever. Or, I don't know, send guardians to help protect them. Anything. Though frankly the warm fuzzies you particular gods seem to trade in, while swell, aren't going to be that useful. Think practicality."

She frowned to herself and considered what else she had or wanted to say. There was something, in her heart, as it were, but she hesitated to say it, all things considered. Well fuck it, the broad told her to. She should know, she was the priestess right?

"Ok, since I'm here and I'm apparently supposed to be saying what I think, or feel, or what ever the hell 'in your heart means', I have to say that you are kind of disappointing as a mother. I thought you Aedra were supposed to be all cuddly and sympathetic. I get the tough love thing, I really do. Letting your kids duke it out, live or die by their wits, being stronger for it...but come on, this is just unfair. Even my own mother, who was the queen-imperial of tough love, would have at least offered some advice by now. Seriously. They're getting hunted down to extinction. As far as we know there's one pride left, and that one has been on the run for decades. Decades! Did you seriously not notice that? If these were my kids I'd be on their ass like white on rice."

"I know you god types reeeeally don't like us lowly mortal scum getting too big for our britches, but sometimes these things just need to be said...you know? Plus don't you people have all kinds of deus ex machina hoodoo all set up and waiting in the wings? Maybe some implausible hero who can ride in and save the day? 'Cause I could totally use one of those right now...it would really cut down on my work load. If this is the case, and we just haven't gotten to that part yet, could you, I don't know, give me a sign or something? So I know to just go about my business and stop worrying about it?"

She cracked an eye and peered up an the statue. It peered solemnly off into the distance. She did notice that the priest was staring at her like she'd just grown a new head. "What?" she asked. "Did I do it wrong?"

The woman's look of...what ever it was, got stronger and she tipped her head as if trying to figure out what she was looking at. She was about to reiterate her question when a lion appeared in the corner of her eye. "Huh, would you look at that." the lion was smaller, too small to be one of hers she decided, since it wasn't Mori or Ambrose...and it didn't 'feel' like one of hers either. Just your standard run of the mill mountain lion. She didn't like how close it was to her bag though.

"You think that's my sign or did it just smell food in my bag? Hey! Lion! Eat those chocolates and I'll stuff and mount you." And not in the fun way, she added silently with a mental chuckle. It looked toward her and cocked it's head, surprisingly calm, all things considered. "That's right pussy cat, I'm talking to you." she dusted off her legs and stood, deciding for the moment to ignore whatever look the woman was giving her and focused on the cat. "So...great timing and appropriately cat like. Are you my sign? If so, what do you mean?" She tried sending out magica feelers, but she got nothing...it was just, apparently, a cat. It looked at her for a bit, then moved on. Her bag remained untouched.

She decided if anything she'd take it as a good open. The cat didn't look angry like they normally do around people, and it didn't steal her stuff. By her measure that was a good thing.

"It's a blessing." The woman had stood up beside her and was now watching the forest where the cat had disappeared to.

"Oh yeah? What kind? Do I get magical cat powers or something?"

The woman frowned again. "Are you always so crass?"

Ianna grinned. "Yes."

The woman sighed and shook her head. "I won't pretend to understand what you just spoke of...but I have heard of the legends of the children of Kyn...but those are ancient and lost to us in these days. It is clear that she supports your efforts and this has been a sign of that."

"Alright. So this is going to be one of those" she gestured ambiguously to the air around her head, "...fare thee well stalwart soldier deals then? She wishes me luck and generally hopes I make it out alive, but that's more or less it?"

The woman looked up to the statue and then back to where the lion had stood. "I cannot say. Sometimes the gods work in mysterious ways."

Inanna scoffed. "Yeah...and sometimes they're just waiting and seeing, and hedging their bets like the rest of us. But" she countered, and turned to the statue. "I'm glad to know you're interested at least and thank you for humoring me. I just mean to be helpful to them...but I'm sure you know that, what with your being a god and all." she bowed low at the waist. "Hopefully if I'm ever back in these woods, I'll have better news for your divine ears."

Not knowing what else to do or say she simply turned and fetched her things. The priest was still watching her. "Do I pay you or anything? Like, donations?" She asked while shouldering her pack.

The woman did smile at that. She opened her arms and tipped her head back. "What need have we for money who have for our walls the mighty cedar and the sky as our celestial ceiling?"

"Food?" Inanna hazarded, regretting it the moment she did. It was never good to give a priest an opening to sermonize.

She turned her gaze back to her. "What is needed, Kyn provides." She said simply, and turned back to the statue.

Well, that wasn't so bad. The priests of the tribune just went on and on and on if you let them. She could get used to this. Though she wasn't totally comfortable with the distant, ephemeral nature of the Aedra. A Daedra isn't too good to at least tell you to kindly fuck off if you're bothering it. Aedra seem kind of...uppity.

Luckily the trip to Hircine's shrine was a quick one. She'd come across it before in her travels so it didn't take too much wandering around in the woods to find it. And as an added bonus she recognized one of the legionaries headed down the road. So she was able to buy a ride for the low, low price of a thigh grope and a smack on the ass. Cal always was the handsy sort...but harmless enough.

Once there, a much more familiar sight greeted her. A preacher was standing on a stone near the statue, and a number of followers were sitting on benches in front of the sermonizing Dunmer. Behind him rose the weather worn statue of a man with a stag's head, flanked with hounds, and a number of sacrifices piled before the alter.

She sat on the nearest empty bench and waited politely for the sermon to finish. She'd missed most of it...but it sounded like he was explaining how whatever she had missed was an allegory for the hunt...or maybe that was the other way around...regardless, it was pretty trite and obvious from what she could tell. Though, when he began reciting the four steps of the kill, she found herself listening more intently.

"...Stage One -- The Drag, in which the Lesser Dogs drag the ground to flush out the Hare. Stage Two -- The Chase, in which the Greater Hounds drive the Hare before them. Stage Three -- The Call, in which the Greater Hounds trap the Hare and summon the Huntsmen for the kill. Stage Four -- The View, in which the Huntsman makes the kill..."

That was something to ponder. She gnawed her bottom lip thoughtfully. In her head she began her own allegorical comparison. The drag...were their hunts...and now the attacks on the forts which flushed them out and put them on the run. The Chase, was catching wind, or sight of the prey...what they were doing now with Des and the thieves. The call would be next. For some reason the word 'trap' was strong in her mind.

Hircine liked his hunt to be a two way affair...where the hunter could become the hunted at a moments notice. So what was true in one direction was true in another. Her stomach shifted in a way she didn't like. It was more than possible that while they were on step two, the enemy might already be working its way to three...or worse...the thought caused a deep frown to cut furrows in her brow. With a dangerous and clever prey, it was best to assume that you were already a step behind. The thought didn't sit well with her.

"Praise be to Hircine," she muttered when he finally finished. She waited an appropriate period of time before making her way up to the statue and the acolyte guarding it.

"What is it you desire friend?" He asked as she approached.

She gave a half-bow. "To give petition to intrepid Hircine." She hoped she'd said it right. She'd only dealt with Morrowind temples and they tended to be run a little differently. He arched a brow.

"You must first make an offering."

She cast an eye to the foot of the statue and could guess what that offering typically was. "I don't suppose he'd be interested in trying something new?" the previous offerings were the skins of bears and wolves...some how she didn't think Kynareth would be too thrilled by that.

"Petition demands an offering." He reiterated staunchly.

Well ok then. She really didn't have time to go running around on a hunting trip if she didn't have too...never mind Kynareth...so, what to do? What to do?

When in doubt, bluff. She put her hands on her hips and sauntered boldly up to the statue, looking up into its strange deer eyes. "Serjo Hircine." No reason not to be polite, after all. "I am on a hunt for a mysterious and formidable prey...time is of the essence. So, if you want a hide, of wolf or bear, send me one of your great hounds to gut, or better yet, appear before me in one of your aspects and I'll skin you were you stand."

Now there was really only three possible reactions to this. The first and most likely was that the Daedra would ignore you. The second was that they'd take up your challenge and kill you but good. The third was that they'd think you were awfully cute and funny, and decide to humor the amusing little mortal. She was aiming for the third.

To her surprise a strange and hollow voice filled her head. "Mortal we know of your quest. Why do you importune us without a proper offering?"

"I'm trying not to piss off Kynareth." she responded aloud. "If there's something you'd like me to hunt for your sake which doesn't involve her furry little woodland creatures, I'd be honored to do it."

"You will give gold then...but only this once. I approve of your hunt, and have an interest in your success, and so I will allow you this courtesy so that you will not lose your trail. Do not test my patience again." Interest? That could be very good or very bad.

"You're very gracious my lord. May I ask what interest it is you have in my lowly mortal affairs."

"I have watched this particular hunt for many years, and you have made it more interesting by far. Fresh hunters and fresh prey. The end of the hunt is near and wagers as to your success have been placed. Your master and I are in accord on your success." Well it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either.

"My master?"

"Lord Boethia, of course. She feels that you will triumph. I am not as certain, but you have proven yourself most entertaining thus far. I have not been disappointed."

"Ah, of course. Give my Lord my best when you see him...er, her. I'm terribly flattered and gratified by your confidence, but it is unfortunate. I'd hoped to ask for assistance, but if there are already wagers involved then you are no doubt obliged to remain neutral."

"True, but you are also a supplicant at my shrine who has come of their own freewill. I can not assist you directly, but my acolyte will." Inanna looked toward the acolyte and noticed the Dunmer stiffen and get a far away look in his eyes. "Give your offering of gold, and receive your blessing. I will tell you only this, that you hunt a beast with many, colored arms, but only one, golden head."

Golden head? What had a...Altmer! A fetching Altmer, and probably a necromancer...figured. Fetching S'wit! She could think of no one more deserving of an arrow through the cranium. She heard a low chuckle in her head and guessed that the Daedra had been party to her thoughts.

"Good luck hunter."

And then he was gone. Her head felt oddly empty and silent...which was a disconcerting feeling. She shook it off and cleared her throat. "So, your boss says we're good to go..." She pulled open a pouch she had hanging off her belt and took out several gold septimi.

The acolyte accepted them, seeming to have shaken off his own momentary daze, and motioned for her to kneel before him. She did and closed her eyes as he placed his hand on top of her head and began muttering a prayer...or perhaps it was a spell...it was difficult to tell. She felt something strange shoot through her, tingling like inner fire and filling her. It felt like it was in her blood, her veins, her skin. The tingle withdrew inside of her until it seemed to condense itself, concentrating in a few choice places...her head especially seemed to buzz with it.

Eventually it dissipated until there was just a residual echo.

"Go supplicant, with the Hunter's blessing. Be swift of foot, strong of arm, and sharp of mind." The Dunmer removed his hand and leaned in, speaking in a voice only they could hear. "And if it's Altmer you're hunting, get some good reflective spells." She looked up, surprised, wondering if Hircine had told him or if he'd somehow been party to the conversation. He smirked, in friendly enough way, and stepped back so she could rise.

She did, looking around. Some people were watching curiously, but most were occupied in prayer. Supplicants to Daedric shrines weren't totally uncommon...nor was their receiving a response...though it wasn't always a positive one. She was happy to take what they would give her...but something more concrete would have been nice. Then again, Altmer was a start. Not an X marks the spot...but surprisingly helpful coming from Hircine. After all, it was the hunt he enjoyed...not necessarily the kill.

She thanked the Acolyte and collected her things. It was already close to sundown. It would be dark when she reached the city, not a good time to be wandering the woods. Then again, she'd rather wander them then sleep alone in them.

The walk back to the city was surprisingly uneventful. The woods were quiet, and all she encountered on her way were a handful of startled deer who took off, leaping over a creek bed and off into the trees.

She came into the waterfront district from the wrong side, which was probably why they didn't see her. Two men were loitering suspiciously near her shack, keeping a watchful eye, it appeared, on both entrances. She winced and melted back into the shadow of the trade houses.

"Fancy meeting you here." A voice whispered in her right ear, making her swallow her tongue.

She twisted her head sharply at the sound and was relived by the brilliant white smile which greeted her. "A," she breathed, "you gotta stop doing that." His smile seemed to leap from his dark skin and the shadows around him into which he so easily blended, it almost seemed disembodied. Redguard were dark like Dunmer, only their skin leaned to shades of red tinged brown where Dunmer tended to be more blue or grey. Though she'd met one Redguard so black she thought he looked near blue in the sun...though in that case she almost suspected him of having Dunmer blood in there somewhere.

Armand, or A as he was called, was a Doyen for the thieves guild, and a damned good one. "Come." He pulled her deeper into the shadows. She knew better than to argue. He slipped them into a hidden door behind his house which lead them beneath the shipping buildings of the harbor. The staircase was cool and empty...silent. He pulled them through a few corridors until they came to an unassuming door. Inside it was bright and warm, and a good number of people were about, filling the air with a pleasant hum of chatter. A few people looked up and nodded or waved a greeting, but most were deeply involved in their conversations, or in their dinners.

"You eaten?"

"No, not yet. Just got into the city."

He nodded sagely. "As you can see, it's not a great place for you to be right now. Words out apparently, and it seems they know who you are...I dare say they know about your other home as well, or will soon." She nodded. It wasn't surprising...unfortunate, but not unexpected. It meant she couldn't linger. She'd have to check with Des, and then get her ass back to Cheydinhal asap. Even if it meant a horse again.

He sat her down and went to get them something to eat. She took a moment to look around. She'd been here before, it was sort of like a 'guild hall' for those in the loop. It was a lot less formal though, so it looked more like the common room of an inn and had more of a communal feel than most guilds. Here business was conducted in dim corners over drinks, not over a desk with formal writs and orders...and bonus, no paper work. After all, you didn't want anything to be tracable.

He came back with stew and bread and they got down to the business at hand. He apparently already knew all about Des, which was both disconcerting and convenient, and had arranged for an operative to sneak her over once they were done. Dar'jirra, her name was, the same one the last thief had mentioned.

While they waited for her to arrive he filled her in on what little they had. They had a list of names of regulars who were seen at the Red Diamond jewelers for her to pass on to Des, and an identification on the merc who'd pissed her off last she was in the city: an Imperial who lived in the city and currently went by Fenius, though they were ninety percent sure that was just one of many names. Disconcertingly, he'd been recently seen leaving the city, but the tail lost him north of the Yellow Road fork. She really didn't like how much closer that was to Cheydinhal.

Thankfully Dar'jirra was prompt and didn't make them wait too long. She thanked A for the intel and the food, and was off without ado. Another great thing with this group, they all understood that if you rush off it isn't personal, and that time is of the essence when there's business to be done.

Dar'jirra was every bit the sneaky thief she'd been led to believe she was, and led them with startling speed and competency through the under works, avoiding the usual pitfalls one finds in ancient sewers with aplomb. Sneaking was generally done silently, so there wasn't much talking. Inanna did take the time to check out what she could, though with the leathers and hood there wasn't much to see. She was the typical slim, gracile khajiit one usual associates with the prefix 'Dar'. She was even a bit shorter than Inanna, though not by much, and fine featured from what she could see. Her muzzle and the tip of her tail was a dark brown, and the rest of her visible fur the color of caramel. When she smiled at Inanna and paused at a trap door, her teeth were little pointed daggers, bright against her dark muzzle. She pointed up toward the door.

Inanna bowed her thanks, and the female bowed back and slipped off into the dark tunnels. The door was unlocked. She opened it cautiously and peeked into the room. It was a cellar, and not an interesting one. There was a lamp lit in one wall sconce which was enough to let her know that the coast was clear.

She carefully made her way up the stairs, pausing to listen at the door...which didn't do much good since it was pretty thick. It was also locked. Damned inconvenient. She cast a life detection spell and noted there were two warm bodies on the first floor...still not that helpful actually. She had two options. She could pick it, or she could just knock. In the interest of time, she knocked...hoping she was actually in the right place.

1...345678