Steamboat Willy Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sally insisted we go home to our doublewide so I could get some rest. She was right, I was pretty tired when we were settled in and we took a nice nap after lunch. We went back and helped out as best I could for three or four hours. This established a routine for the next ten days until I went back to the doctor and the stitches were taken out. I was feeling much better by then.

Sally and I took upon ourselves the task of arriving at solutions to a bunch of problems that required deviation from the original practices and operations. For instance we could not operate at night with out electric lights for running lights. That meant we had to have a generator. We decided to install a steam-powered generator since we had a source of steam.

We had to install holding tanks for all the waste, solid and liquid. The wood fired stoves were removed and propane stoves were added. We had to install a fire fighting system and some other things to please the Coast Guard. We decided to use oil-fired boilers. The original boiler was retained; we just added oil fed burners. We had bunkers of false cords of wood hiding the fuel tanks. There were seemingly endless things to evaluate and decisions had to be made on all of them.

We decided that because all the tests were to be done on the Ocklawaha River with its sharp turns we would install modern bow and stern thrusters. They would be under water at all times and thus invisible. I called Miami and put some of our engineering people on researching what units were available and what size would be needed to turn a flat bottomed displacement hull 84' 4" long and drawing 4 feet of water and weighing 65.5 tons.

They came back with a recommendation of a unit called a SP285TC made by Sea Thrust. The company would install the thrusters and set up the controls. The units required 24 Volts of DC power. These thrusters delivered almost 750 pounds of thrust each; which had to be plenty of power. I knew that there was no way two slaves pushing on poles could produce that much thrust.

I contacted Sea Thrust and we were able to schedule the installation for the following week. We bought a Diesel powered generator which would run using the same oil we would be burning in the boiler. The generator was large enough to carry all the lighting for the whole boat. We wouldn't be able to use oil lamps for anything while carrying passengers for hire.

Sally and I decided to take the yacht and run to the Bahamas for a week or two. We would be back in time for the launching.