Believer Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"She's doing everything she can to create division and chaos." said Tanya Perlman. "Of course she'll say she's just reporting on what's already there."

"Yeah, that could've been reported in a way to be factual but not so divisive." Teresa Croyle said agreeably.

"And it wasn't even factual, in some places." said Cindy Ross.

"Crowbar," growled Sheriff Griswold, "are you responsible for Goodwin running for I.G.?"

"I wish I could take credit for it, sir." I replied. "But Goodwin needed no convincing. First, he's from here and wants to get back here full time. Second, he hates Finneran as much as we do. And third, I think he sees writing on the SBI wall. If a Democrat is elected Governor, he's likely out. If a cronyist, pro-illegal-immigration Establishment Republican, especially Karl Handel, is elected, he's definitely out. So he's running for a position that suits him well, and lets him return home."

"And this turrrrmoillll with the SBI can't be helping any desire he might have to stay with the SBIiiiiii." drawled Chief Moynahan.

"Chief, I'm not sure there really is that much turmoil." I replied. "Of course, the truth is not going to stop Bettina from her maliciously false agitating... er, reporting."

"And from what I was told," growled Sheriff Griswold, "the State Medical Board is not nearly as divided as Bettina was trying to make us think it is. They're just going to confirm Norm Chow's findings... they've already interviewed everyone at University Hospital... and then they'll find in Laura's favor, and that will be that." I knew that the Sheriff's source for that was the Governor of the State.

"What about the University Ethics complaint?" asked Cindy Ross. "And those professors coming out like that? What Dr. Rivera said about President Wellman? She must be looking to get fired."

"Yeah," I said, "he doesn't appreciate public disloyalty like that. I think she's trying to goad him, but also take some of the pressure off of Carmela and Camp. And for them to work with Bettina shows me that the nature of the attacks on Laura is personal about her and also about me as a Police Officer. And I remember that they tried to get my own wife to denounce me or be fired in the Peter Dwayne Gordon case." (Author's note: 'Falsely Accused', Ch. 03.)

"And we just heard what Dr. Rivera thinks about you as a Police Officer." Teresa said. "Dirtiest cop in the State? Harrumph."

"At least Dr. Chase is providing Laura legal representation." said Tanya. "Any other professors or doctors on Staff supporting Laura?"

"Yes." I said. "But you know Bettina would never show any of them. Maybe KFXU will."

"And Bettina took her shots at you, Don." Tanya said. "Really tried to goad you about not making any comment."

"True." I said. "So maybe I should make a comment... or better yet, give a Press Conference."

"WHAT?!" roared five voices at once.

"I'm sorry, did I stutter?" I asked with a grin.

"Yes, I think you did stutter." said Cindy. "Or hiccup. Did we hear that correctly?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After introductions and news stories, Catrina Pierce of Fox Eight News said "While some professors have come out against Dr. Laura Fredricson, many others have strongly supported her. You will not hear these professors's comments on our competitor KXTC's agenda-driven broadcasts. Roll tape."

Tape rolled. "I feel so strongly that what is being done to Dr. Fredricson is wrong, I took up her case as her legal counsel pro bono." said Dr. Chase.

"What some coward is doing behind the cloak of anonymity with false so-called 'whistleblower' attacks is despicable." said Dr. Larry Woodrow of the Criminology Department, and once head of the TCPD Crime Lab.

"This is just another example of a good person and a good doctor being railroaded by political activists and thugs with an agenda that can't win if it's exposed to the light of day." said Dr. Marvin Milton of the Mathematics Department.

"Dr. Fredricson is one of the most wonderful persons I've ever met, and a truly great doctor. I trust her with my child's life." said Dr. Stephanie Steele of the Astronomy Department, whose adopted child Marie often really was in Laura's care.

"And we have breaking news!" said Meredith Peller. "The Town & County Police Department has just announced that Dr. Fredricson's husband, Police Commander Donald Troy, will give a Press Conference at 9:00am!"

"Wow!" said Catrina Pierce. "It is very rare for Commander Troy to give a Press Conference, so it must be something big!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was the most crowded the Media Room at Police Headquarters had been in months. There was so many reporters that velvet rope lines had to be installed to clear an aisle from the door to the podium, enforced by Uniformed Officers, which had the effect of squeezing the reporters uncomfortably together like sardines in a can.

I put on a white shirt and black tie with my semi-formal jacket with ribbons, so that I could wear stars on the collars of my shirt (this was frowned-upon if I was wearing the light blue shirt I normally wore, which expected either shoulderboards or metal insignia on the shoulder epaulettes). My uniform was pressed, and metal objects and my shoes shined to an impeccable standard.

At 9:00am on the dot, Captain Damien Thompson strode up to the podium. "Ladies and Gentlemen," he said loudly, "if you act correctly and respectfully while Commander Troy gives his prepared remarks, he will open the floor for questions. If you start shouting over one another or are otherwise rude, he won't." That quietened down the bloodthirsty mob posing as 'journalists'.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Police Commander." announced Captain Thompson. I strode into the room, walking quickly and confidently, and assuming the podium with an air of being in command of the room.

"Thank you for coming." I said, my voice strong and authoritative. "I have come here today to address some issues concerning the actions of Dr. Laura Fredricson, who I am extremely proud and lucky to say is my wife. First of all, I have not heard a single reporter discuss what actually happened. While some of it can't be discussed due to medical privacy laws, I can tell you that Dr. Fredricson's actions in guiding two other doctors through an emergency procedure saved the life of a baby and his mother."

"What you may not know," I said, "is that the father of that baby and the husband of the woman involved is a Town & County Police Officer. I sat with him as we waited for news, waited to find out if his son and his wife survived. Because Dr. Fredricson went into that O.R., they did. I know that some of you journalists believe in post-birth abortion, and would have enjoyed reporting on the death of the baby, but thankfully that did not happen."

I could feel the Press hatred welling up as I continued: "What you also may not know is that on October 16th... a day which will live in infamy in this County... Dr. Fredricson was operating on Rhonda Hooper for the same complications that were affecting my Police Officer's wife in her delivery. As you know, Rhonda Hooper died and my wife was severely injured in the terrorist bombing of the Hospital."

Your Iron Crowbar: "Because of Dr. Fredricson's decades of experience in deliveries, which many doctors don't like to do, she was able to guide two other doctors through the procedures to save the baby's life and then the mother's life. We now have a healthy baby, recovering mother, a grateful Police Officer who is now a proud dad... and two more doctors who now know what to do in that emergency situation."

"As to the SBI investigation," I said, changing tack, "Dr. Fredricson has correctly asserted that there are no statute laws that even cover her situation, much less laws she could possibly have broken. And I agree that whoever accused her of committing a crime but is hiding like a coward behind a false cloak of 'whistleblower' anonymity, has committed both criminal and civil slander and defamation of character, and Dr. Fredricson deserves her day in Court to make him answer for his crimes."

I went on: "On the flip side of that, as a Police Officer myself, I know that we get tips of possible crimes, and we investigate them. It wasn't wrong for the SBI-OER to look into the matter; and indeed, Lt. Norm Chow's investigation revealed the truth that no crimes nor even ethical violations were committed by Dr. Fredricson."

I finished up, which was the point of all this in the first place: "I'll conclude by saying that whether or not the accuser is covered by whistleblower laws is now in the Courts and legally ongoing, so it may or may not be illegal to reveal his name. However, it is not illegal for me to know who he is... and I do know who he is! And all I'll say now is that 'what comes around, goes around', and 'karma is a bitch'. What are your questions regarding this statement?"

"Will you tell us if the whistleblower is part of the Hospital Staff?" asked Priya Ajmani loudly.

"I won't answer any questions regarding the accuser's identity," I said, "except that I know it."

"Are you planning to physically assault the whistleblower?" Lester Holder shouted out.

"I'm not planning to, no." I said. No one with a brain was fooled by that statement.

"Commander, will you cooperate with the US Department of Justice's prosecution of Mayor Allgood?"

"It's not a prosecution, it's a civil suit." I replied. "And that is outside the scope of my statement. Any more questions regarding the statement I just made?"

"Commander," said Meredith Peller, "Your wife sued SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell personally, and although the suit was dismissed, as SBI Reserve Inspector you work closely with Inspector Maxwell. Will this situation affect your working relationship with Inspector Maxwell, and even the entire SBI?"

"I hope not." I said. "Inspector Maxwell is an outstanding and professional law enforcement officer, and I'm sure we'll work together as we always do to expose and stop corruption in this State."

"Commander," said Cynthia Freeman of KSTD, "obviously you're going to take your wife's side in all of this, but isn't it reasonable to investigate the ethical violations the whistleblower claimed she made? And isn't it unethical to go into an O.R. while severely injured?"

"It's a teaching Hospital and a teaching University." I said. "Senior doctors lead junior doctors through operations all the time. And by the way, are you going to accuse me of ethics violations if I guide Detectives through an investigation and making arrests even if I don't physically do it myself? That whole premise, that sharing one's experience and guiding them to a result that saves life is somehow unethical... is ridiculous."

And then I went for it: "But I don't expect you reporters to understand that. KXTC still employs a Racist who called my daughter a racial epithet. Talk about having no ethics and no morals! Look in the mirror before even deigning to ask me about something like that!"

That got Lester Holder's blood pressure up more than a little bit. His face was a mask of hatred as he yelled out "Commander Troy, do black lives matter?"

The room went silent. I just looked at him and said "Of course they do, as does everyone else's life.."

"That's racist!" Holder yelled furiously.

"Really?" I thundered back. "Are you saying that only black lives matter, to the exclusion of everyone else's? Is that what you're saying? Are you saying that Asian lives don't matter? That Hispanic lives don't matter? That White lives don't matter?"

"That's racist! And you're a racist for saying it!" shouted Holder.

"No I'm not." I replied loudly. "But you're going to call me a racist no matter what I say, so your racist hate speech is of no value to anyone. Next question."

But that pretty much concluded the Press conference. I was told later that KXTC had immediately cut away from their live coverage after Holder yelled that I was a racist, trying to give him the last word. But SNN showed it State-wide, perhaps hoping that viewers would see my reply as the racist comment...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:30pm, Tuesday, December 3rd. ADAs Franklin Washington and Paulina Patterson came to Police Headquarters. After greetings, we went to the Main Conference Room, and I 'invited' Captain Tanya Perlman to join us upon Franklin's request.

Franklin Washington started us off: "One of our new Investigators got a lead on a couple of relatively new gangs to this area. The 'Eighth Street Latinos', named after their origins in the City, have spread to Midtown and to here. The NS-14 bases out of Southport and points further south, but they also have a very small footprint in our County. But up to now they've kept their heads down."

"Can't imagine why." Tanya said with a grin.

I said: "You can thank T-Square more than me for that."

Paulina said "As an aside, you do realize that T-Square has been getting out of the illegal businesses, a lot like Cerone and Molinari did? He's got plenty of money from his legitimate recording businesses and royalties from his music, and he's planning on getting more active in Social Justice issues. So he's divesting."

I nodded. "I've heard that, and Sheriff Griswold has been influential with T-Square on getting clean and legit. But we were talking about Latin gangs?"

Franklin said "Yes. The Eighth Street Latinos are an increasingly powerful drug gang in the State and Region, and our Investigator found that they see the University market as a very lucrative one that they want to exploit. They intend to use the State Line as a defense against you, Commander, and make runs over the State Line, maybe south of here and coming up through Coltrane County."

"Fine by me." I said. "Limited means of entry into the County makes it easier to interdict them." Tanya nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Truth is," said Paulina, "Edward Blassingame paved the way with his smuggling business through his trucking companies. And the Eighth Street Latinos studied his methods and learned them well. For example, those Kroger trucks making deliveries... may not be delivering to Kroger."

"Who is T-Square passing off his gambling, drugs, and prostitution empire to?" I asked.

Paulina said "He may be keeping the prostitution part on the side. He likes to sample the 'merchandise' himself. The gambling operations were never very large, and they're mostly in counties south of us. And he may just throw the drug operations out there like a big, meaty bone, and let the pitbulls fight for it. Survival of the fittest."

"Noooooo." I said. "He does not want that war hurting his businesses. His customers in his clubs will still want their supply. The handoff will be orderly. The only question is to whom he is gifting it."

Franklin said "In any case, the Latino gangs may see this as their opportunity to get a foothold in this County. Our Investigator is working on leads on how they're bringing in the drugs."

Tanya said "Are your Investigators cooperating with my Vice Detectives? After all, we're the ones that have to go in and make the arrests, and stop the drug flow."

Paulina said "That's why we're here now. Giving you a heads-up on this."

I said "Y'all still haven't introduced us to these Investigators of yours. Why not bring them here to discuss this?" Franklin's eyes dropped. Paulina bowed her entire head and studied her fingernails. And I understood... or thought I did.

I said "Miriam Walters told you not to bring them?"

"Miriam doesn't know we're here now, unless she had us followed." Paulina said.

"And I wouldn't put that past her, right now." said Franklin. "And adding to it... the Investigators have not talked to us directly. They meet with Walters, either alone or with Savannah in the room. But never with me nor Paulina."

"That is ridiculous!" Tanya exclaimed. "And it's even worse if they're not including the TCPD in their investigations... that exceeds their legal authority. They're not cops!"

"Don't beat up the messengers." I said to Tanya. "We'll be taking this to Miriam herself, and it may be a Chief-and-Sheriff-to-D.A. conversation." To the ADAs I said "I appreciate you bringing this to us. And by the way... I have not failed to notice that you, Paulina, are well-versed in these Vice-related things. You getting pushed onto Franklin's turf?"

"Not much gets past you." said Paulina with a brief smile. She continued: "Yeah, Miriam says that with Franklin running for Nance's judicial spot, then, and I quote, 'his attention might wander from his duties in the D.A.'s Office', close quote. So she told me to get up to speed on the Vice side of things."

"Okay, then." I said, getting up. "Franklin, why don't you and Captain Perlman get with Sergeant McGhillie and Lieutenant Milton on The Eighth Street Latinos, and I'll have a few moments of instructive conversation with Ms. Patterson, here."

I escorted Paulina to my office as Tanya showed Franklin the new Intelligence Center. After sitting down I said "So... what else is going on in the D.A.'s Office? Particularly involving Gwen Munson of Prodder, Ryder & Reems, P.C."

"Really, Don, how do you do it?" Paulina asked. "Who told you?"

"Oh, I just keep my eyes and ears open." I said. I also keep my dick hard when I fuck the lovely Adele Peabody's tight pussy into a creamy lather, I thought to myself. But I wasn't going to mention that to Paulina.

"Well, you're right." said Paulina. "What happened is that I filed a formal complaint with the State Bar over Gwen Munson representing multiple clients in the Beverly DeAngelo murder case, and especially her working her clients against each other. And then I was told that the complaint was withdrawn... by Ted Mason."

I said "Wow. Can he do that?"

"No." said Paulina. "I told the State Bar that he wasn't my boss, and had the complaint reinstated. And then they called an hour later and told me that Miriam Walters had called and had the complaint pulled."

"Why?" I asked incredulously.

"That's what I asked when I barged into her office without knocking." Paulina said. "Miriam threatened to fire me, and I said go ahead and try, and get ready to defend one hell of a lawsuit. She then told me that she had it pulled so that Munson's perfidy could not be used to get Deborah Wilkins out of her twenty year sentence."

I said "I'm not a lawyer, but even I know that Wilkins cannot benefit from her lawyer violating legal ethics like that. Chances are great that the confession would stand. And Deborah might want it to stand after she hears what happened to Dawson. I would imagine she doesn't want to end up on the pavement with a double-tap to her chest."

Paulina said "I generally agree with you, but one never knows with Appellate judges like Leahy lurking out there, eager to free any and every criminal they can. But worse: Miriam saved Munson. And she worked with Mason to do it. What does that tell you?"

I said "It's more like Mason worked with Miriam, and at her behest. And maybe so that if he loses the Solicitor race to Fineman, Miriam might pick him up as an ADA, or DDA. That might be wishful thinking on his part, though. And Paulina... I love you, but there's only so much I can do to help you with that cesspool."

"I know." said Paulina. "And our relationship has complicated everything enormously, but I'll never apologize for that."

"Neither will I." I said as I looked at a photo of Tasha on my desk. "Neither will I..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Why? Why is she doing that?" Tanya asked me as we sat in the Chief's Conference Room with Chief Moynahan. "Why is she playing these games with these Investigators like that?"