Break-In Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's right, Bettina!" said the slender black reporter, standing outside the front gate of BigPharmaCorp on the west side of the north-to-south flowing River. "As you know, several months ago three University Hospital doctors performed a liver transplant on an eight-year-old boy despite being ordered not to by BigBenefitInsurance." (Author's note: 'Beethoven Virus', Ch. 02.)

Lemay: "BigBenefitInsurance CEO Jeff Woolsey demanded that University Hospital terminate the three doctors that performed that operation, but Hospital Administrator Seth Warner refused. Mr. Warner was backed up by the Hospital Board, especially Board Member Teresa Croyle, who is the administrator of the Croyle Trust that funds research and medical care for children with cancer and other rare diseases."

Lemay: "Mr. Woolsey ordered that BigBenefitInsurance drop coverage of any doctor at University Hospital, and to not pay the Hospital nor reimburse any patient using the Hospital's services. While many customers in the local tri-county area changed insurance companies, BigPharmaCorp stood in solidarity with BigBenefitInsurance, and refused to provide their employees with any alternatives for insurance coverage. As a result, BigPharmaCorp's employees cannot use University Hospital nor its doctors for their medical care."

Lemay: "The Union at first supported the position of BigPharmaCorp, but after an employee revolt, threats of decertification of the Union and a 'wildcat' strike, the Union began to support the employees. The Union and the company are now in negotiations, and Channel Two News has learned that both sides have asked BigBenefitInsurance to send representatives to the negotiations. Back to you, Bettina."

"Thank you, Carl!" Bettina said as the feed returned to her. "That was trusted political reporter Carl Lemay with that very important story. And in other news, White Nationalist Governor Sharon Marshall continues to absorb the political fallout of the University Board of Regents's overwhelming rejection of her poorly-thought-out nomination of Dr. Laura Fredricson to the University Presidency!"

Bettina: "In a rare show of bipartisanship, both Republicans and Democrats are calling for greater independence of the University, its Presidency, and the Board of Trustees from the Governor's Office. And State Representative Tasheeka Harris of Inner Midtown is calling upon new University President Jerry Moore to fire Dr. Laura Fredricson, even though Dr. Fredricson is a full Professor and is tenured. Let's go to reporter Pat Stellum for more. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the portly, balding reporter, who was making his trenchcoat look bad as he stood on the edge of Campus with the Psychology Building in the background in the dawning light. "I have with me respected Professor of Political Science Dr. Lionel Carmela." The camera panned out to include the odious Dr. Lionel Carmela, wearing his eye patch over his left eye socket, his black hair and beard looking unwashed and oily even in the dim light.

"Dr. Carmela," asked Stellum, "Dr. Fredricson was rejected for the University Presidency by an overwhelming majority of the Trustees, and Dr. Sidney Wellman is now gone and replaced by Dr. Jerry Moore. Does the University have a chance now to restore its reputation after rejecting the Governor's White Nationalism?"

Carmela: "Pat, that will depend on Dr. Moore. If he shows an enlightened attitude towards important issues like Diversity and Climate Justice, then things might improve. But if he shows deference towards the Athletic programs, especially football, and the big money boosters instead of more important issues, he may be as harmful as Sidney Wellman was for all those years..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"For God's sake," muttered Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as she, Sheriff Griswold, Commander Troy (me), Chief Moynahan, Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, and Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross watched the broadcast and drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room, "why are they rehashing that old news? Laura's rejection, Dr. Wellman's leaving, and Dr. Moore's appointment are old, old news."

There was no answer. All eyes fixed themselves onto me, Your Iron Crowbar, but I was halfway in a reverie. When I came out of it and saw them staring, I said "What?"

"Why rehash that stuff about your wife?" Cindy asked, and I could feeeeel her mind trying to bore into mine.

I mentally pushed back, then said "Oh... yeah, that was probably taking personal shots at me, through Laura. And helping that prick Carmela put pressure on Dr. Moore through the Media, as well."

Teresa said "One aspect of what Carmela said may be true. Todd told me that Dr. Moore has long been supportive of big-time athletics and the money that football brings into the 'big boy' programs. Dr. Moore believes that the income through those programs greatly benefits the academics at those Schools as well as the others in the State. He's going to talk to City U. about starting up a football program, which could be a full-fledged FCS school within two years."

Tanya said "Sidney always believed that, too. He was a big supporter of the athletics programs, as you all know. Carmela hates Sports, and hated Sidney for supporting the football team."

Cindy said "So, Teresa, is the Hospital winning the battle against BigBenefitInsurance?"

Teresa said "I think so. It's not affecting our research programs at all. We did have a drop in patients that had BigBenefitInsurance, but other insurance companies were taking people they otherwise wouldn't have in order to compete against BBI, and now businesses are switching their employee insurance plans to other vendors, even though BBI started offering substantially less rates to try to keep them. And now the last 'Big Boy' stronghold, BigPharmaCorp, is being overwhelmed by employee demands to drop BBI and go with someone else, even though they really don't want to."

Sheriff Griswold growled: "I have a question for all of you, especially those of you in my Command Group. Who the fuck is leaking that information to the Press? How does that... harpy Bettina have all that information?"

All eyes again went to me, and again I was in a reverie. The Chief actually leaned forward and gently shook my shoulder, and I started as I came out of my reverie.

"Penny for your thoughts." the Sheriff barked.

"Penny with the Queen's picture on it." Cindy added.

I said, my voice still a bit far away, "The leaks probably aren't. We had to put out the duty logs and basic Police reports, and the Press has those. I also think it's very possible, if not likely, that Marla Locklear and maybe Harriet Hogue answered their questions, or even went to them with their stories."

Me: "But what has me in a reverie about Bettina's propaganda piece is the way she's framing it... as a vigilante action. She said he refused to answer questions, but not why, making it sound as bad as she could make it sound. She said he had multiple firearms, as if that's a bad thing. She said he had taken NRA (air quotes) 'personal combat' courses, which is a fresh new way of describing self-defense and gun safety courses. She's trying to crucify the guy already..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Angels Meeting began after the KFXU broadcast, which only mentioned the deaths of Maple and Hogue, and that the Police were investigating it as a self-defense shooting. They also concentrated on some of the June 6th remembrance celebrations by the American Legion and VFW veterans.

"Sir," said Teresa, "don't you want Captain Michaels to attend this one, so she can brief you on this weekend's events?"

"No." I said. "She'll be briefing you after this meeting, and I may or may not sit in on it. I do intend to re-watch the interviews with Tia Maple and Harriet Hogue, which were very interesting. And Dr. Fredricson will be joining us today to review and discuss key aspects of the videotape of the crrrimme."

"Is it a crime?" Tanya asked. "After Bettina's propaganda-cast, I'm almost rooting for it not to be."

"Keep an open mind, keep an open mind." I said. "For now, let's talk Police Department. You have something for us, Tanya?"

"I sure do." Tanya said. "When July 1st hits, we'll have the money to begin the outside renovations."

"What will those entail?" Cindy asked.

Tanya said "The visitors parking lot is to the right side of Headquarters, the north side, and people walk around to the front to enter. Problem is, arrested suspects are brought into the Booking area from that same side, and suspects being taken to Court are loaded into the paddywagons from further down the same side... and the same visitors parking lot."

Tanya: "To fix that, we're going to install a paneled gate that slides sideways to admit vehicles and will be secure when it closes. And it will be one-way; the exit will be on the back side and through the Public Health Department's parking lot. But doing that will mean visitors cannot park there next to Headquarters any longer."

Tanya: "Soooo, what we're going to do is move the fence of the employee's parking lot back to let visitors be able to park in the front row without having to go through the guardhouse gate or inside the fence. And a new guardhouse and entrance will be built near the Crime Lab building on the side street."

"That does sound like a much better plan." Cindy said. "But won't the employees lot be exposed when the fence is taken down?"

"Nope." I replied. "They're going to build a new fence inside the old one. Then when it's done, they'll take down the outer fence and remove the old guardhouse. I might add that the Public Health Department's parking lot is going to be fenced in and gated, as well. Okay, what else?"

Cindy said "BigPharmaCorp called the Sheriff's Department about security reinforcements if there's a strike and things get ugly at the gate. I need to get with Teresa about that, since the TCPD has a lot more manpower than the Sheriff's Department."

"But Teresa is a little busy playing Police Commander with the Detectives right now." I replied. "Soooo, why don't you get with Captain Hewitt at First Precinct and come up with the contingencies. Let me know what y'all figure out. And remember, neither we nor the Sheriff's Department are BigPharmaCorp's free security. We'll intervene if there is physical violence, but we will not guard the gates for them."

"I have one question." said Tanya. "What's going on with Theo Washington? He filed a complaint with the Union against Captain Michaels."

I explained that situation as it had been told to me, then said "I'll have to talk to him, and to Claire Michaels. And that's one of those that I need to handle personally; that is, if the Chief doesn't take it away from me and handle it himself..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:30am, Monday, June 7th. Teresa and I went into Classroom 'E', where Captain Claire Michaels had convened a meeting of Lieutenants Davis and Mary Milton and the MCD Detectives, who were all present. Also present were Vice Detective Joan Laurer and Intel's Corporal Penny Scott. Neither the Chief nor the Sheriff were present, but Chief Deputy Cindy Ross had 'wandered' in behind us.

"Okay, who is starting us off?" Teresa asked.

"Why don't we look at the interviews of Tia Maple and Harriet Hogue?" suggested Captain Michaels. "Let's go with Harriet first. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Joan Laurer and Joanne Warner in Harriet Hogue's office room within her home. Teresa asked "Why is Detective Laurer part of this?"

Captain Michaels said "She asked for cross-training and more work doing interviews, ma'am. So I sent her in the Chief's place to interview Mrs. Hogue."

"And a good choice that was." I said agreeably. "Mrs. Hogue is a pretty intimidating woman, and while Harriet may wrongly think she can push Joanne around, she'll find out fast that the two-time Police Boxing Matches Champion don't play." Joan made the clasped-hands 'victory' gesture, making some of the others chuckle.

"This is at 5:30pm yesterday." said Joanne Warner. We settled in to watch...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Mrs. Hogue," said Warner as they went into the home, "You may remember me from last night. I'm Detective Warner, and this is Detective Joan Laurer. May we speak with you for a few minutes?"

"It's a bad time." said Harriet Hogue. "I have several guests, and it's pretty hectic right now." There were a number of people there, including Mrs. Myrtle L. James.

"We understand." said Laurer, her voice carrying just a wee bit of 'authority' as the Amazon Warrior towered over the other women. "But there really is no good time to do this."

"Come on into my office." Harriet said. She said something softly to Myrtle L. James, who nodded, then Harriet led the Policewomen into her office and sat down behind her desk.

"May we videotape the interview?" Joanne Warner asked.

"Am I allowed to say 'no'?" Harriet asked rather curtly.

"Yes ma'am." said Joan Laurer. "But then we'll have to ask you to come to the Station for the interview."

"You may tape it," Harriet said, "but I'm going to ask my attorney to come in. He's here now, it will only take a second." She began typing on her cellphone, and an instant later Mr. Garner of Lowe, Ball & Lynch, P.C. came into office. Introductions were made all the way around.

Joanne Warner started: "We just need some clarifying information about your husband and Mr. Maple's business, and Mr. Locklear's role in it, as well as your own involvement. First, how and when did your meet your husband?"

Harriet: "I hired him to do some I.T work for me about seven years ago. He did good work, and he and I really hit it off personally. We began dating and were married a year later."

Joanne Warner: "And about the same time, you entered into a partnership with Tom Maple, is that right?"

Harriet looked briefly taken aback, but quickly recovered and said "Yes, that's right. Tom Maple bought my Staffing company out, and we formed a partnership where my staffing was part of the solutions he presented to his clients. It was a good partnership from the start."

Joan Laurer quickly and rather abruptly asked "How was your marriage with your husband? Close? Very close? More professional that personal?"

Harriet said "We were very close. I might as well just say it: there are a lot of people that knew us that thought I was domineering and Chuck was... er, passive, I guess the word would be. But there was just something about him that attracted me from the first moment I met him, and I was very much in love with him until..." She paused to catch her emotions, then said "... until his death did us part."

Joan Laurer said "We're sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry we have to ask questions like these so soon after his death. But I do have to ask this: did your husband ever cheat on you, or have sexual relationships with others?"

Harriet looked a bit stunned and angry at that. She said "No! We were devoted to each other. And I'll be frank, and blunt: we had a very good sex life. I certainly never felt the need to cheat, and I don't think Stanley ever did... though yes, I've heard of the situation that led to his death."

Harriet: "And I'll just say this: Chuck was not the most outgoing of men. He's not the kind that would date other women when he was being satisfied at home. In fact, I asked him out on our first date."

Joanne Warner took back over, with a bit of authority in her voice... directed towards Joan Laurer. Joanne said: "How did you meet Tom Maple?"

Harriet: "My husband knew him, and Tom had Chuck introduce him to me when Tom wanted me for staffing aspects of his business solutions. He also wanted to bring in Chuck for the I.T. side of it, and again, things worked out well."

Joanne Warner said "And Stanley Locklear? How did you meet him?"

Harriet: "He was brought into the firm as the ad campaign designer. I met him then."

"Who brought him in? Tom Maple? Or your husband?" Joan Laurer asked.

Harriet said "I'm not sure. All I know is that I turned around and there Stanley was in the firm. I was not consulted about his hiring, nor informed about it until it was a fait accompli."

Joanne said "Is there any reason you know of why Stanley would want to shoot your husband and Mr. Maple?"

"What do you mean?" Harriet said. "He did shoot them. Or are you saying he knew about the roleplay they were doing, and shot them anyway?"

Joan Laurer asked "Did you know about that roleplay? About what they were doing the other night?"

Harriet: "No, I did not know what they were doing. All I knew was that Chuck was meeting Tom for a working dinner."

Joanne said, again strongly, "What I was getting at, ma'am, is if there were something going on in your business that might give Stanley Locklear a motive to shoot his business associates like he did."

Harriet: "Oh. Not that I know of... well, let me take that back. I don't know if Stanley knew he was not going to make partner in the firm. Tom and Chuck brought Stanley in with the idea Stanley would handle the ad campaigns and ultimately be made a partner in the firm. But it wasn't working out, and they were not only not going to make him partner, they were considering letting him go altogether. But that was decided very recently, and I don't know if they'd told Stanley yet."

Joanne said "How are the company's finances? Any problems there?"

Harriet said "Not that I'm aware of."

Mr. Garner spoke up for the first time: "How are the company's finances relevant to the shooting?"

Joanne said "Again, we're looking to see if there's a motive for the shootings beyond what we're seeing on the surface. And to that point, Mrs. Hogue: would you agree to allow us to look at your company's finances? And paperwork involving Stanley Locklear?"

Harriet said "No I will not. I don't see any relevance, and you'll have to show some in order for me to---"

Mr. Garner cut in: "Of course, we'll be glad to cooperate with a warrant, issued by the Court and based upon probable cause. That would mean you've shown the Judge relevant 'probable cause'. Without that, though, I am strongly advising my client to not allow the Police access to the business's records."

Joanne said "We're just trying to get to the truth, and exonerate Mr. Locklear if his claim of self-defense is legitimate."

Garner said: "And you'll have to do it following the law and the Constitution, and not through fishing through records you have no business seeing. Hasn't Commander Troy taught you anything about the law?"

Joanne's lovely face turned red and almost ugly with anger, but before she could say anything, Joan Laurer stepped in and said "Of course you're within your rights to refuse, but for us to ask as part of our investigation is legitimate."

Harriet Hogue stood up: "I have to be getting back to my guests, and to preparations for my husband's funeral. If you have further questions, make an appointment to see me after the funeral. I'm sure you can find your way out."

"Thank you for your time." Joan Laurer said, standing up. Joanne was still angry, and got up much more slowly. The Policewomen gathered the videocamera and left...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The next video came on, showing Tia Maple's interview. Julia Rodriguez said "This was conducted about 4:40pm yesterday, a little earlier than the other one."

Tape rolled, showing Julia and Roark Coleman having just been admitted to Tia's home. There were several guests there. "This really is a bad time." Tia said.

Julia replied "We understand, but there's no good time to do this, and time is of the essence."

"Let's go into the kitchen." Tia said. "And I'm bringing my attorney with me." She went and got Mr. Fowler of Succup & Payne, P.C., who just happened to be one of the visitors.