Consent of the Governed Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The newest Orange Order members, Teddy Parker and Inga Gunddottar, fulfilled their duty to provide the drinks. The Sheriff had helped them out by issuing an edict that there would be no beer served on this Sunday evening, so they had soft drinks, tea, and coffee ready. I did observe a few of the older members sneaking in flasks as if this were a Bulldogs football game, and spiking their drinks.

Lt. Micah Rudistan stood up after dinner. "I have a couple of things." he said. "First, voting for the Orange Order's newest members will begin November 23d, and will go through noon, December 3rd. There are at least two slots to fill, and if there's a really close vote, we may admit a third new member. More people means more beer getting bought." Everyone laughed at that.

Rudistan: "And we're saying goodbye to one of our members. Corporal Inga Gunddottar has accepted a job with the New York City Police Force." There were groans, then Rudistan picked up his drink cup and said "So let's wish Inga well, and you're always welcome back!" Everyone stood up and we toasted Inga, who looked appreciative but stoic.

Rudistan: "Next... she's not leaving, and she'll be welcome here any time. I know she barely tolerates my sense of humor, and I sure won't miss getting crowbar beatdowns in the Police Boxing Matches, but I'm definitely going to miss having Commander Ross around. Here's to a happy two months of retirement, Commander." Everyone stood up and we toasted Cindy. A strong round of applause broke out after everyone drank the toast.

Then Rudistan called upon me to announce the awards for the next day. I stood up and said "First of all, I'm going to miss Corporal Gunddottar, and yes, Inga, you are welcome at our Orange Order dinners any time. For our awards: since Corporal Gunddottar is leaving, we'll obviously have a parting gift for her in the form of a medal. And with her retirement, Commander Ross will be receiving a well-deserved award."

Me: "This is actually a slow quarter for promotions. We have some pay-grade promotions, and a few actual promotions in the Detective ranks, including Joan Laurer to Detective-2 and Penny Scott of Intel to Corporal." Everyone applauded.

"And of course," I said, "We're getting a new Deputy Police Chief. I now have to make sure I don't get run over just by stepping out of my office. And speaking of that, she had better not complain about the size of that office, which is larger than mine!"

There was laughter and applause, then I said: "Tanya Muscone truly deserves this promotion. She does more on two wheels in an hour than most of us do all day, and her positive attitude in the face of any obstacle is the stuff of legend in the TCPD. I'm very glad to be working alongside her. Congratulations, Tanya." The standing ovation for Tanya was loud and long...

Part 34 - The Only Constant Is Change

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, November 2nd, from the Channel Two Anchor Desk in the KXTC Studios. "Tensions are high as Election Day approaches!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "We have several stories for you this morning. Let's first go to the Channel Two Decision Desk with Amber Harris and Carl Lemay. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" the athletic blonde said loudly as the feed switched to Amber and Carl sitting behind the Decision Desk, which was just across the room from Bettina. "We'll be bringing you all the results from here tomorrow night, after the polls close to end what may be the biggest and most impactful Election in our State's history."

Carl Lemay: "That's right, Amber, and the fireworks have already started. Social Justice groups joined the Elections Board Chairman in a lawsuit against the Town & County Public Safety Department, after Sheriff Antonio Griswold announced that Sheriff's Deputies, augmented by the Town & County Police if necessary, would be part of the teams transporting voting documents to the Elections Board Headquarters for counting."

Lemay: "The Sheriff also said that Deputies and TCPD Officers would be in the counting rooms with Poll Watchers, observing the counting, and that they would have Officer-cams in use. Judge Harry R. Nance issued an order to prohibit any Town & County Public Safety personnel from being in the Election Headquarters while ballots were being counted, but that order was immediately countermanded and voided by Judge Patrick Folsom. Judge Folsom stated that Judge Nance could not issue any rulings at all concerning the Elections because Judge Nance himself is on the ballot this year, running for re-election."

Amber: "Early voting ended Friday, and Social Justice groups are concerned about the early numbers. Eldrick X. Weaver, who many say was cheated out of his rightful Mayoral win two years ago, said this. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Eldrick X. Weaver saying "If any black person has not voted, they absolutely must go to the polls Tuesday and exercise their right to vote! White Republicans are going to be voting for damn sure, and trying to elect Daniel Allgood Mayor, and by whatever means necessary. Do not let the White Nationalists and Daniel Allgood cheat us again! Go vote!"

Back to Amber live: "We're now joined by Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling, and a Channel Two News contributor. Karl, what can you tell us about these upcoming elections?" The camera panned out to show Karl Frazier at the desk with Amber and Carl.

"Hello Amber and Carl." Frazier said. "I can tell you that some of the races are going to be very tight, so every vote will be important, and no one should be leaving an unused ballot on the floor. The Mayor's race is very tight, with Allgood ahead 51-49%, within the margin of error, but if those numbers hold up, it'll exceed the automatic recount threshold"

Frazier: "We don't expect any upsets in the Council races; all of the incumbents will be re-elected comfortably. But that can't be said of the Town Assembly. The two Democrats who sided with the Republicans to pass the Budget fully funding the Police are in very tight races, and those seats could flip to the Republicans. And in Statewide races, Ruby Russell has really tightened the race with Corey Coons for Lieutenant Governor. If blacks don't get out the vote tomorrow, there could be an upset there."

Amber: "What about the Governor's race, Karl?"

Frazier: "That's going to be a tough one, Amber. Hoyt Stenson's numbers have dropped significantly. He's run a really terrible campaign, and against an unpopular Conservative candidate that could just be a third term for Val Jared."

"That would be horrible." said Amber. "Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber and Carl!" Bettina said, then added "And I'm pleased to announce that Karl Frazier will be joining you at the Decision Desk to analyze the results as they come in. In the meantime, the Town & County Council will not meet tomorrow night due to the Elections. And today the branches of the Town & County Public Safety Department will be having their Promotions and Medals Days. The biggest changes are in the Police Department, as Deputy Chief Cindy Ross retires and will be replaced by paraplegic Tanya Muscone..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I thought Karl Frazier had dropped KXTC like a hot potatoe." said Captain(P) Tanya Muscone (Author's note: 'The Babymaker', Ch. 01-02.). She, the Sheriff, the Chief, me, and my other two Angels were drinking coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. We were all in our formal uniforms with ribbons, and wearing white shirts instead of blue under our jackets. And those of us entitled to do so were wearing our Medals of Valor around our necks.

"Money talks. Bullshit runs the marathon." I replied. "Karl Frazier wasn't doing well after severing ties with KXTC, and they needed more... professional polling, for lack of a better term. So they paid Frazier green dollar bills to come aboard as a contributor, and he took the money and gave them what they wanted to hear this morning."

"I'm stunned that KXTC was admitting the Republicans are doing so wellll." drawled the Chief. "Any thing to that, Mis-ter Crowbarrrr?"

"They're just trying to scare the hell out of Democrat voters." I replied. "They've done that for years... they'll say the Democrat is up 20 points for months, then the week before the Election they'll say it's tied, or the Republican is closing and may win."

'God, they're corrupt as hell." Teresa Croyle muttered bitterly. Then she noted: "They didn't bring up the Wellman-Finneran race at all. How is that race going? Is the Sidney Wellman scandal the Press is trying to gin up hurting his brother Horace, the current I.G.?"

"Not at all." grunted Sheriff Griswold. "Curly Goodwin is going to mop the floor with that pedophile Finneran, and that's probably why the I.G. race wasn't brought up."

"Nor the Solicitor's race." Chief Moynahan noted. "What's happening with that?"

"They can't get a lock on that." said the Sheriff. "Since KXTC ginned up that hit piece on FBI Agent Stone with Savannah, the so called (air quotes) 'experts' think it may give her a bump in the vote on Tuesday. Problem is, the Democrats usually vote early and the Republicans later, and usually wait until Election Day. So Savannah may have ended up giving Ted Mason the boost, there."

"Sheriff, what did Miriam Walters say about Savannah's actions in that case?" asked the Chief.

Griswold: "She tried to give me the 'you do your job and let us do ours' treatment, and I turned that around on her and said Savannah wasn't doing her job, she was interfering with your Detectives and their work, not to mention trying to boss them around when she has less than zero authority over them. I also reminded Miriam that we're about to get a new Captain of Detectives, and Savannah's stunt would not make a good impression on Captain Michaels. Miriam said she would talk to Savannah about it, and rein her in."

"I'm sure she will, sir." I said. "It was a political stunt by Savannah all they way, leaving a trail of destruction in exchange for a short-term advantage. And one that likely won't work..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

At 8:00am, Tanya Muscone drove into my office with a box. It was the 'bling', stuff being given out at the Ceremonies.

"First, you'll be giving this out in a few minutes." she said, handing me a sleeve with a silver badge in it. I pocketed it.

Tanya: "There are almost no promotions this time around. In fact, mine is the one of most significance." She handed me the badge and two stars in their plastic bags.

I handed them back. "Put the badge on before we go out for the Ceremony. And hold on to the stars; we'll be pinning them on you. Okay, let's go announce these promotions in the Detective ranks.

We went into the MCD room via the door to the back hall, where all the Detective had gathered. They quieted down when we appeared.

"Okay, guys," I said, "we have two promotions of significance in here. Laurer to Detective-2!" Joan gasped and everyone applauded as I went through the crowd and handed her her 'bling'.

"And Penny Scott to Corporal!" I announced, handing Penny her bling. Everyone cheered. Tanya applauded but looked stoic; as always, she remembered Pete Feeley's promotion to Corporal just before his death.

"Mind if we join this party?" asked a voice from the door to the side hall. It was Claire Michaels wearing a TCPD Uniform without a badge. With her, wearing formal LAPD uniforms with jackets, were Detective Lorena Rose and Lieutenant Tal Shiarr, who was a tall bald Asian man and the LAPD MCD's technical expert, not unlike Myron Milton.

"Lorena!" Tanya said excitedly. She and Lorena Rose hugged warmly, then Lorena went around hugging everyone she knew, including me. I shook Tal Shiarr's hand and exchanged a 'man hug' with him.

"So you're 'Ice Cube' Perry!" Lorena Rose said as she hugged J.J. Perry, then said "I knew it all along!... not!" Everyone laughed.

I introduced Lt. Tal Shiarr to everyone, then said "Tanya, why don't you give Lieutenant Shiarr a tour of our Intel Room? I think even an LAPD Lieutenant will be impressed with what a small Police Force can do." Tanya led the way out the back hall door.

I handed Claire her 'bling' and said hold on to it until she was sworn in during the Ceremony. "And Lorena, you as well as Claire are invited to watch our retirement ceremony for Commander Ross..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:30am, Monday, November 2nd. Cindy Ross was taking one last look at her office when I came to the open door and knocked on it. Her assistant Lauren Wilcox was going with her to City Hall, and had already moved. Plastic had been laid on the floor to accommodate Tanya's wheelchair over the weekend.

"The Chief wants you to come to his office." I said. Seeing her nod and look around, I said "Memories hitting you?"

"A little bit." Cindy replied, her voice nostalgic. "I... when I started here with the TCPD, I never thought I'd make it this far." She then looked at me and said "And I owe it all to you, and Sheriff Griswold."

"I'll tell you what he'll tell you." I replied. "It was all you. You did every job given you, and you did them well. And you'll be a great Chief of Staff, too."

Cindy said "I need a shorter title. 'Chief of Staff' is a mouthful. 'Deputy Commander', maybe?"

"We're working on that already." I said. "We're looking at 'Chief Deputy', and also 'Undersheriff', which some Departments across the nation have."

Cindy nodded, then walked up to the door. She hugged me and I hugged her back. "Thanks, for everything." she said. She hugged Helena, who was trying not to cry and was failing. Then she went to the Chief's office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We-elll, you'll be around a lot more than you know." drawled the Chief. "The Sheriff can't stay away, either. And the coffee klatches won't be the same without you, so you have a standing invi-tayyyy-shun to visit."

"Thank you, Chief." Cindy said. "And thank you for your support of me all this time."

"Heh heh heh heh." said the Chief. "That was easy to do. You're one of the very best Police Officers I have ever had the privilege to work with... right up there with your sister." That caused Cindy's ice-blue eyes to well up with tears, as she knew exactly how high a level of praise that was for Chief Moynahan to say.

"Thank you, sir." Cindy said. She came to attention and saluted. "Permission to retire, Chief."

"Granted." the Chief said, saluting her back. "I'll walk you out." He went to the door and opened it.

"POLICE FORCE! ATTENTION!" yelled Lieutenant Micah Rudistan. The two lines of Officers forming a gauntlet, looking inward, snapped to attention.

"Walk with me, Commander." the Chief said. He walked out, and while he was in the place of honor to her right, he made sure she walked beside and not behind him.

Cindy was carrying her green crowbar in her left hand as they walked briskly down the back hallway towards the gym. Cindy looked forward, knowing that if she looked at the faces of her fellow Officers, she would get emotional. At the door to the gym, the Chief extended his arm, indicating for her to go ahead of him into the gym, and she did so.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!" yelled Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, "THE POLICE DEPUTY CHIEF!" The bulk of the Force was in the gym, and behind the gauntlet line that went to the back left door to the outside. They snapped to attention, but as Cindy began walking through the gauntlet, everyone not in the line began applauding in a tremendous ovation.

As she approached that door, Cindy saw a table had been set up for the express purpose of signing her out. And manning that table was no less than the Police Commander himself. Yes, I had pulled rank over everyone, even Teresa, for Cindy's last action as a TCPD Officer.

Standing between the table and the back door were Nextdoor County Police Chief Molly Evans, and Molly and Cindy's mother, Maggie Ross. Cindy saw them, and I saw tears spring to her eyes.

Cindy took the gold TCPD badge off her uniform jacket and handed it to me, then signed out on the log sheet. I then handed her a silver badge with her number and the word 'RETIRED' engraved on it. She saluted me and I returned it. Then I picked up my red crowbar and she gently swung her green crowbar at it, crossing swords one last time. The *CLANG!* of iron on iron echoed through the gym, and really brought this moment home for us. The bell had tolled...

After putting the silver badge on her jacket, Cindy turned and hugged her sister, then her mother. Maggie hugged her younger daughter for a long moment before the three of them went outside and to the bleachers, followed by the majority of Officers on the Force...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"That is an amazing Intel Room you guys have, there." said Lt. Tal Shiarr when he came to my office just before 9:00am. "We have some good stuff in the LAPD, and you're at least as good, if not better."

"Thanks." I said. "So how are things in L.A.?"

"I'll be candid, and blunt." said Shiarr. "Things are deteriorating. We're hating to lose Claire, but we understand why she would leave L.A. Coming here is a good reason, of course, but she was looking to leave, anyway."

I nodded. "Well, I know California politics are different than here, and I hope you guys will be able to overcome that and be able to do your jobs."

"So do I, Commander, so do I." said Tal Shiarr. "And Lorena Rose, she's God's gift to Vice, but it's wearing her down. It's like a combat zone out there. She needs a rest, and a change of scenery. If you know someone, maybe in the DEA, have them give her a call..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am, Monday, November 2nd. The Sheriff, Chief, and I came out of the gym door, announced by Lt. Commander Croyle. The Police Force came to attention, and the Chief spoke into the microphone, saying "At ease! Take your seats please!" Everyone did so.

Unlike previous Ceremonies, the podium was on a raised dais, creating a stage. Also on the stage, to the podium's right, were several chairs. Tanya was in her wheelchair, blue crowbar in her lap. Next to her was Teresa, then Cindy, then Molly as a distinguished guest. Chairs behind them were filled with the Sheriff and myself, if and when needed.

"Thank yoooo for coming to-dayyy." drawled the Chief. "We have a couple of guests from our sister Police Department, the Los Angeles PD. Please welcome Lieutenant Tal Shiarr of their Major Crimes Department." There was good applause when Shiarr stood up and waved.

Chief Moynahan: "And some of you will remember this young fireball that is lighting up those who oppose LAPD Vice. Welcome back, Lorena Rose!" The applause for Lorena was very strong, though many newer Officers did not personally know her.

First came pay-grade promotions and service ribbons for mostly Uniformed Officers. The Force had been forewarned that very few medals would be given out for the riots that had occurred after the August Promotions and Medal Ceremonies, but a good number of Officers got Certificates of Achievements.

Joan Laurer received her promotion to Detective-2, and Lt. Rudistan and Lt. Commander Croyle pinned her metal ranks on her jacket.

Sergeant Carter and Patrolmen Buchannan and Wagner were called up, and as the Chief read their citations, I pinned Public Safety Achievements Medals on their uniforms. It wasn't really stated in the citations, but their being there to stop the attempt to kill Tasha was a reason I put them in for it. And the Mayor upgraded them to the Public Safety level primarily to piss off the Press.

Then 'shit got real'.

"We have two Officers leaving us today." announced the Chief. "First, let's bring up Corporal Inga Gunddottar, who is joining the New York City Police Force." As Inga came up, there was a standing ovation from the Officers and others there, and it went on for a full minute. The Chief had to start speaking to get everyone settled back down.