Consequences Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We'll handle it." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was like the old days, almost. The two offices between the Main Conference Room and the Chief's Suite, were re-occupied. The office on the left, nearest the Chief's Suite, was for the Sheriff's use. The other office was now assigned to Paulina Patterson. She'd once been in the office that was now Cindy's, but there was no way the Green Crowbar was going to be pried out of it (pun fully intended).

"I still have my office in City Hall," Paulina said, as I sat with her in the office, "but having this one will let me work more closely with you, and I can stay out of Miriam's way... and Savannah's."

"So how did the compromise come to pass?" I asked. Paulina looked at me funny.

"I thought you were behind it." she said. When I shook my head, she said "Miriam actually moved up the time for the lawyers to meet, and made that proposal. The only thing I added to it was the right to hire a DDA to assist me. If Hannah Doss somehow loses her race to be the Magistrate Court Judge, I'll snap her up."

"She's not going to lose." I predicted. "But no, I had nothing to do with any of it."

"I did hear that State Senator Katherine Woodburn visited Miriam in Miriam's office." said Paulina. "Maybe she was behind it, though why she'd want to help me, I don't know. We are politically not on the same side of things."

"Hmmm..." I mused. "Interesting..."

Part 24 - Federal Investigations

3:00pm, Wednesday, June 24th. We were meeting in the Main Conference Room. Present were the Sheriff, the Chief, me, Cindy, Teresa, Tanya, Jack Muscone, and Karina White. FBI EAD Owen Lange also had joined us, having just gotten into Town.

"Okay, here's what's going on." said (Jack) Muscone. "ATF took over the investigation last night, as is their privilege to do in cases involving explosives and possible terrorism, foreign or domestic. Miles Winters of Homeland Security is in tactical charge at the scene, but Karina here is the overall coordinator for the investigation."

Muscone: "Karina knows most of the ATF Agents, and I agree with her that they're good people. They've been working well with the TCPD and the SBI-BFE (Bureau of Firearms and Explosives), and have shared evidence samples with the State Crime Lab here in Town, partially for redundancy, but mostly in a spirit of cooperation. My FBI people have been interviewing TCPD Officers at the scene, and we thank you for your cooperation as well as the Police reports you've shared with us."

"That's the good news." said EAD Lange. "Here's the potentially bad news. Burt West's call for an independent investigation went viral on Social Media. It also got the attention of Director of National Intelligence Brendan Chapel, and he has asked the FBI's OPR to look into it. Washington is sending Martin Nash and Lindsey Black to independently investigate."

"If I may, Mr. EAD." I said. He nodded, and I said "Nash and Black are already nearby, so it's not like they're coming from Washington. But what about Ava Hinds and the DOJ? She's the one that will keep all this racial crap going."

"We're not sure what's going on with her." said Owen Lange. "My own suspicions are that she's waiting for the results of the investigation to move against you, the TCPD, and maybe the Mayor, too."

"Hmmm." I mused, then realized I'd said that out loud because everyone was staring at me. "Sorry. I was just wondering if there might be another reason they want to wind down the racial tensions..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:30pm, Wednesday, June 24th. Deputy Chief Cindy Ross and Press Relations Captain Damien Thompson entered the Chief's office. "Sir," said Thompson, "the Press is pushing for a press conference at 5:00pm our time."

"Rather presumptuous of themmm," drawled the Chief, "considering that I haven't decided to do a Press Conference in the first place."

"Neither has the FBI nor the ATF investigation teams, sir." said Cindy. "But I was thinking along the lines that if they're covering a Press conference here, they're not covering one by Ava Hinds, Brendan Chapel, or Democrat politicians taking potshots at us."

"I'll call Mr. Musconnnne, and see what he wants to doooo." said the Chief...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:00pm local time. There were so many national and local reporters that the Press conference was being held in the theater auditorium of the Civic Center, where the Charter Commission had held its hearings on the Police structure months before. On the stage were Owen Lange, Jack Muscone, Karina White, Miles Winters, Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan... and Your Iron Crowbar.

Winters opened the presser: "I'm Miles Winters with the Homeland Security Department, leading the on-site investigation of the explosion that occurred during the Police standoff with a wanted suspect. We are currently interviewing Police Officers and witnesses at the scene, and testing forensic evidence to determine exactly what caused the explosion. I'll now call up Karina White, who has more details for you."

Karina came up and said: "I'm FBI Assistant Special Agent In Charge Karina White. Before coming to the FBI, I spent over two decades with the ATF, and I am familiar with their methods as well as the conduct of investigations of explosions. First, in reviewing the overall incident, I want to commend the Town & County Police Department on their professionalism and their restraint in dealing with this very tense situation, and I commend the Police leadership for their actions at the scene, and also their cooperation with us in the investigation."

Karina: "I'll first go over the results of our testing of the forensic evidence. We sent samples to two different labs for testing, the ATF's facilities as well as the State Crime Lab here in Town, and both labs have confirmed the presence of residues of C-4 plastic explosives, detcord, and blasting caps. We believe at least part of the building was prepped with the explosives so that it could be detonated if the Police entered the building."

Karina: "Next: we've also analyzed video footage of the explosion from several sources. The walls blew outward, consistent with an explosion from within, and not a projectile striking the walls from the outside nor explosives wired outside. Confidence is high that the explosion came from within the building, but we are waiting for further results to get an idea of whether or not the explosion was deliberately triggered, or accidentally set off..."

After her remarks, Karina opened the floor for questions. "I'm Priya Ajmani, Fox 8 News. Has anyone found from Social Media or other sources that Jacquez Wilson intended to commit suicide and also kill Police Officers by blowing up the building?"

Karina: "Wilson definitely left us with plenty of material to look through. We're still going through the data to determine if that was his plan, and also to determine who provided the explosives, detcord, and blasting caps, which are tightly controlled materials."

"Bill Hacosta, for the SNN networks." said Hacosta. "The TCPD has been sued for institutional racism in their actions against People of Color. Are you looking for evidence that the TCPD is behind the explosion?" There were some gasps and murmurs at the question, but Karina was not rattled.

"In the words of the immortal Sherlock Holmes," said Karina, "we do not twist facts to suit our theories. We form our theories based upon the evidence we find. Next question------"

"Agent White!" Hacosta continued, loudly and haughtily, "In light of the previous racist actions by the TCPD, are you not even considering that they might've set off the explosives?"

"First of all," said Karina, "I don't accept the premise of your question regarding the previous actions of the TCPD. And second, I've already answered your question, and no amount of you trying to ask the same thing in other ways is going to change my answer."

I was delighted to see Karina handling the assholes of the Press like she was. And then it became apparent that Hacosta's question was a set-up for what came next:

"Tim Sioban, KSB News." said Sioban. "Our KXTC colleague Burt West has called for an independent investigation because your immediate superior, Jack Muscone, is married to Commander Troy's Captain of Detectives, and your comments today praising the Police as well as your answer to my colleague Mr. Hacosta shows your own bias in favor of Commander Troy and the TCPD. Will there be an independent investigation? And will you and Mr. Muscone recuse yourselves from the investigation because you can't possibly be unbiased?"

"Let me take this one." said Owen Lange, coming up to the podium. Karina gave way, and the EAD said "I'm FBI Executive Assistant Director Owen Lange. Do not impugn the integrity of my Agents. I have full faith in the integrity of SAC Muscone and ASAC White, and she is very experienced and highly qualified to lead this particular investigation. The Agents of the FBI and ATF conducting the investigation are impartial, and will come to a fair and honest conclusion based upon the evidence."

We should've ended it there, but a black reporterette got up and shouted "I have a question for Commander Troy!" Owen Lange looked at me, and I nodded and came up to the podium. The black reporterette said loudly "Commander Troy, do black lives matter?"

"Does my daughter Tasha's life matter?" I replied.

"I asked you first."

"So answer first." I replied. "And I'll give you a hint: the answer to both questions is exactly the same." I turned to leave the podium.

"Commander Troy!" the black reporterette yelled. "Are you happy that Lester Holder is dead?" There were some gasps at that, but also something resembling snickering. I returned to the podium.


"I'll reply with this question." I said. "Are you happy that a white Police Officer was raped and beaten nearly to death, and lies in the hospital in grave condition?" After a pause I said "Are you?"

You could've heard a pin drop. And you could've cut the Press hatred in the air with a katana...

Part 25 - Swamp Frog Investigation

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, June 25th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with City Hall in the background. "The District Attorney is letting a white cop off the hook!"

Bettina began: "District Attorney Miriam Walters informed Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts that her Office will not retry white Police Sergeant McCombs after his first trial ended in mistrial. D.A. Walters and ADA Paulina Patterson did not respond to KXTC's repeated requests for comment. Judge Watts released Sergeant McCombs from custody without bail."

Bettina: "The Police Union issued a statement saying that they look forward to Sergeant McCombs being restored to the TCPD with his rank, indemnity, and years toward his pension intact. The Union also stated that they are pressing their lawsuit against Commander Donald Troy after the TCPD ignored their grievances against his actions. Sergeant McCombs was fired by the TCPD for cause, and Chief Sean Moynahan issued a statement saying that he will not restore McCombs to the TCPD quote 'under any circumstances', close quote."

Bettina: "And in related news, ADA Paulina Patterson dropped her racial discrimination complaint against D.A. Walters after the two sides reached a compromise settlement, the details of which were not disclosed. Channel Two News has learned that ADA Patterson will continue to prosecute cases, including the 202 cases in which the peaceful protesters at the Block House that were arrested will be tried for first degree murder in the commission of felonies, which experts say is an overreaching and brutal crackdown on peaceful black protesters. Mayoral candidate Eldrick X. Weaver issued a statement saying that the charges are, quote, 'yet another example of the racism of the American Justice System against People of Color', close quote."

Bettina: "In national news, Director of National Intelligence Brendan Chapel has responded to calls for an independent investigation of the Block House explosion here in our County, and has asked the FBI's Office of Professional Responsibility to follow up the current FBI-ATF investigation with an investigation specifically looking into the actions of the TCPD during that incident. Neither the TCPD nor Commander Troy has responded to repeated requests by KXTC for comment..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Is that independent investigation going to be by the US DOJ?" asked Captain Tanya P. Muscone as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"No." said Commander Cindy Ross. "I got word last night that she flew back to Washington, D.C."

"For 'consultations' or 'instructions'?" Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle asked. "Will she be part of Chapel's independent investigation?"

"Not likely." I said. "Bettina was just now reporting on Chapel's investigation. His comments had to go out last night, which means the independent investigation is already in motion. They wouldn't recall Hinds to Washington if she were part of it."

"So why recall her?" asked the Chief.

"Because they're going to back off on the civil rights stuff, at least for now." I replied. "And to that point, I'll bet Cindy has heard from her confidential source that the National Media is packing up and leaving Town."

"Not much gets by you." replied Cindy. "Yes, Priya called me and said that after the disaster of a press conference last night... disastrous for the Media, that is... they continued to report for about an hour, then suddenly began dropping it. Behind the scenes, the National Networks started asking the local Media for the background on your confrontation with that black reporter, wanting to know the situation about Tasha, as well as your 'relationship', for lack of a better term, with Penis Holder."

Cindy: "Once they got the backstory, they realized that they couldn't really attack you over it, and just the fact that you have a mixed-race child destroys any intended narrative they wanted to create about you. So CNN and MSNBC just suddenly stopped talking about it at all, and everyone except Fox Cable are finding other things to talk about on their morning shows."

"Any idea why?" asked Teresa.

"Yep." I said. "As you know, Peter Dwayne Gordon of Clear Call Polling, who I was able to help a little bit to overcome the false rape accusations against him, sent me an email last night." (Author's note: 'Falsely Accused'.) "Both local and national polling is showing that the violence by black activists is really hurting Democrat politicians in the polls, and helping Republicans, especially Conservative Republicans calling for law and order."

Your Iron Crowbar: "So someone at a pay grade much higher than mine has concluded that they're not getting any more traction out of what has happened here, so they are moving on, like the Drive-Bys tend to do. And I'll entertain bets that the National Media begins really winding down coverage of the violent protests."

"I'm not taking that bet." said Tanya. "Just because I'm married to an FBI Agent doesn't mean I became dumb enough to bet against you like they do." Laughter ensued.

"I'm still shocked no one outside the Block House was killed." mused the Chief.

"They stayed a distance away from the building, Chief." said Teresa. "I think they knew explosives were in there. They probably thought the Police would run through them to get to the Block House so they could run away while we got blown up with Jacquez."

"I dunno." said Cindy. "I don't think Lester Holder intended on dying with them. I think he was going to come out, perhaps deliver a new ultimatum, then he'd slither off unnoticed."

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I said. "Someone give that woman a green crowbar!" Everyone chuckled, and the aforementioned green crowbar was waved in my general direction.

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was Tanya's Police iPhone. She answered, said to us "It's Jack.", then put the phone on speaker. "You're on speaker with all of us, Jack." she said.


"Hi everyone." said Jack Muscone. "Guess who just arrived at the Federal Building?"

"Martin Nash and Lindsey Black, and probably a couple of Federal Marshals." I 'guessed' (not really; I knew).

"Not much gets past you." Jack retorted. "Dugan and Powell are the Marshals with them."

"What about the Rovers BAU team?" asked Tanya.

"No, no sign of them yet." said Jack.

After he disconnected, I said "The BAU team still hates Nash for whipping Andrew Parsons's ass... giving him a crowbar beatdown, in fact." (Author's note: 'Riverboat Gambler', Ch. 02.) "So they won't be coming in to help Nash. I suspect they would've come in to support Ava Hinds... Parsons and Rovers helped Jocelyn Moran try to arrest me... but if Hinds doesn't show up, they likely won't, either."

"Well... they're herrrrrre." drawled the Chief. "Get your lawyers ready to support you if and when needed. I'll notify the Force, and I'll tell the Union to be ready to send lawyers to help..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

But we heard nothing from them that day. Nor the next. Nash and Black were given a small conference room in the Old Post Office Building behind the Federal Building, where they worked on the data. DEA Special Agent Kevin Pitts (Author's note: 'No Way Out', Ch. 04.) and ATF Agent Karl Coleman were working with them.

At various times, they discussed their findings, to wit:

"Okay, every TCPD Officer is accounted for, except two." said Karl Coleman. "They had the RFID chip data, cellphone location data, radio data, and whatever else for every Officer all ready to go, and gave it to Karina White. Mighty convenient that they had it ready, I'd say."

"They expected to be asked about it." said Martin Nash. "So who were the two that were unaccounted for?"

"Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle, and Lieutenant Jerome Davis." said Coleman. "Her Police SUV was at BOW Enterprises, and the Police Chief and Police Commander's reports say that Troy sent them to the BOW Enterprises emergency command center in case rioters attacked Police Headquarters."

"I'm looking at the forensics data, at the lab tests." said Lindsey Black. "Definitely a lot of C-4 in there."

"Could Troy have planted it?" asked Coleman.

"Not that much." said Martin Nash. "And the Block House was always guarded, and virtually impregnable. Even the Iron Crowbar is not that good, to be able to get in there at all."

"Oh yeah, here we go." said Lindsey Black as she looked at a report. "There are traces of other high explosive residues from the mass spec, nowhere near as much as C-4 residues, but it's there." She began correlating the locations of the samples taken, to a map of the Block House on a piece of paper. "Yeah, this other stuff is not uniformly distributed. It's concentrated in a spot near the entrance, where we think Holder and Wilson were sitting, with the sheet behind them."

Nash said "I'm looking at the video footage from the Police cams as well as some of the Media's coverage. Here, take a look at this." Lindsey came over and Nash said "This camera is facing west. You can see the Block House, just one second before the explosion. You see that little blue smear in the black sky just behind the Block House, to the west?"

"Artifact of the video?" asked Lindsey. "Or a reflection from the lens?"

"Maybe I can enhance that." said Coleman, who had come up. "Media cameras usually record the infrared and UV as well as visible light. If I run this to show the infrared end... well, it's not much, but it's brighter than the surrounding sky. It's a heat signature."