Deliver Us From Evil Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are we going to be having teams under each of us?" Teddy Parker asked.

"And more importantly, sir," said Joanne Warner, "are we getting offices of our own?"

"You do not want the standard Lieutenant's tiny office." said Tanya P. Muscone.

I said "Well, we could give your Deputy Chief the Lieutenant's office, and put cubicles for you four in the Deputy Chief's office next to mine." Laughter erupted.

"That will be the day." Tanya 'warned' me.

I replied "Seriously, you're still at your current desks, for now. As to you having specific teams? Not really. But you will be in charge at a crime scene, unless Lieutenant Davis or Lieutenant Rudistan are there and take charge. Okay... let's go back to Classroom 'E'."

We all got up and went back to Classroom 'E'. Our new Lieutenants-to-be found a great spread of food set out, a catered lunch courtesy of Our Sheriff. And present to have that lunch with them were Joanne's husband Seth, Theo's wife Nareese, and Teddy Parker's fiancée Janice Holloway. Christopher Purvis was not dating anyone, so I'd arranged for his maternal grandmother Dottie to be present. And Dottie was a character, almost on the order of Mrs. Boddiker...

Part 5 - Out of Poverty...

9:15am, Friday, July 23d. Tim Geiger walked down the hallway of Police Headquarters, escorted by Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle. They stopped by MCD first.

"Geiger! What are you doing here, man?" asked Teddy Parker as Geiger came into the room and started shaking people's hands.

"I'm here to see Commander Troy." said Geiger. "I just stopped by to congratulate you guys on your upcoming promotions."

"You should've stayed in the TCPD. You'd be a Lieutenant, too." Joanne Warner said, and no one could tell if it was a deliberate insult to Geiger or not.

"So what have you been doing with yourself?" Theo Washington asked, saving an awkward situation from developing.

Geiger replied: "Well, I got my P.I. license, and my license to carry firearms as part of my duties. I'm working for Alison McFarland and the Town & County Examiner Online, which is steady work and a hell of lot better than sneaking around and trying to catch husbands cheating on their wives, or vice versa. But I get occasional freelance work, too."

Joanne said "I heard you were interviewed by D.A. Walters to be an Investigator for the D.A.'s Office. Any truth to those rumors?"

Geiger: "It's true I was interviewed, by D.A. Walters and ADA Fineman. And that's why I told Ms. Walters that I didn't want the job, because I wanted nothing to do with Fineman. She has really become a pariah around these here parts."

"Why does the Commander want to see you?" asked Teddy Parker.

"Who knows?" Geiger said, somewhat adroitly. "And speaking of that... I'd best be moving along. Congrats to all of you again." He quickly exited MCD and went with Teresa to the Commanders's suite. Helena waved them on in.

"Hey, Geiger, thanks for coming." I said as they came in. "Stay here with us, Teresa. Y'all have a seat. Get some coffee if you want some."

"I'm good, but thanks anyway, sir." said Geiger, sitting down in the near-side hot chair as Teresa sat in the far-side hot chair. And my bug-killer was 'on'.

"So, what do you have for me, so far?" I asked.

Geiger said "Keith Madden and I have gathered a lot of data. A reliable friend got us IRS records of people who took their donations to the Catholic Churches in Cardinal O'Leery's diocese off their taxes, giving us a pool of Church members. Then we began going through and seeing who had children that might've been subjected to the Cardinal's lusts."

Teresa asked "But what can you do with that? You can't just go talk to them and ask if their child was sexually molested."

"True, ma'am." said Geiger. "But Commander Troy gave us a good idea. We're going through and seeing if any of those members or their kids have bad grades or behavioral issues in school, or are getting in trouble with Police. So far we've gotten pool of 20 names of varying ages."

Geiger: "We're also getting some (air quotes) 'unofficial' help from former employees of the old Wrangler Circus. As you know, a number of them had been victims of abuse, and ended up being employed by the Circus. Oh... and as an aside, we've noticed that a lot of those former members are now finding jobs in this area of the State. Not the highest-paying jobs in the world, but they're getting second chance jobs, helped by Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart's 'The Vision'... and getting good references from a certain local Police Commander."

"Oh really?" Teresa said, peering at me.

"I'm glad I'm able to help, if just in a small way." I replied. "So, you think we're making some progress?"

"Slowly but surely, sir." said Geiger. "We've talked to a few guys who are on parole. They're wary, but when they see that we're trying to bring down O'Leery, they talk with us. And we get more names, and more leads. And we're hoping that we can find someone who was abused within the last five years."

I said "And if you do, it's within the Statute of Limitations, and grounds for 'continuing mischief', opening things up to bring older cases in. And then we can really go after that son of a bitch. So, anything else?"

Geiger: "We've confirmed that we're being followed. They're pretty amateurish about it, and we've been able to shake the tails pretty easily, but they're an annoyance. Alison thinks the Examiner building is being watched, and Police Headquarters and the two Precinct Headquarters buildings, as well."

I said "Did you get a look at the people tailing you?"

"Yes sir." said Geiger. He handed me a couple of photos. "We set up a counter-surveillance trap, and they fell right into it. Alison hired Eddy the Bounty Hunter for the job... he doesn't know anything about the rest of it... and he got those pics."

I looked at the pics, then handed them over to Teresa, who said "Clean cut, suits and ties. The ubiquitous uniform of Federal Agents, if you ask me."

"And I don't have to ask, because I know who they are." I replied. "The passenger, who is more visible in the photos, is FBI Special Agent Peter Page of the Bob Rovers BAU Unit. We can't see the other guy as well, but he looks to me like FBI Special Agent Cabe Andrews, who you may remember was one of the four FBI Agents at Beverly's Flower Shop, that almost murdered Beverly and your husband Todd." (Author's note: 'Vengeance Is Mine', Ch. 01.)

Teresa's voice was as dark as her look as she said "Oh, I want a piece of him, then." And then it hit her: "Why are Federal Agents following Alison, Geiger, and Madden in the first place?"

"Interesting, n'est pas?" I replied.

"Oh by the way." said Geiger. "In exchange for getting the Wrangler Circus people to help us, I had to answer some questions from them. One was to confirm how you, Commander Croyle, stayed with Johnny's daughter Sarah while she was sick and dying." (Author's note: 'Centuries', prologue.)

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

The door opened to reveal the Duty Desk Sergeant. "Sir, ma'am," he said, "there are some people in the lobby asking to see you both. They said they're from the Wrangler Circus?"

"Are there any Press in the Press Room?" I asked.

"No sir." said the Sergeant.

"Ask them to go in there, and Commander Croyle and I will join them in one minute." I said. The Duty Desk Sergeant closed the door behind him as he left.

I said "Geiger, you need to tell Alison and Keith to be extremely careful, and you should be, as well. My fear is that these FBI Agents are being obvious in following you around... so that someone else following you in a much more professional manner won't be seen by you. Thanks for all the info, and if you'll excuse us, we'll see what the Wrangler Circus wants..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything--all she had to live on."

---The Gospel according to St. Mark 12:41-44 (NIV)

Teresa and I went into the Press Room, where eight persons awaited us. They were in relatively normal clothing. Among them was Johnny, who was wearing his white jacket and black pants of the University Food Services, for which he still worked.

It was Johnny who spoke first: "Ma'am, I was told that you sang to my daughter Sarah while she was sick, and you were singing to her when she died."

Teresa nodded as tears filled her eyes. "Yes, that's true."

"Thank you for that, ma'am." Johnny said tears forming in his own eyes. Teresa just nodded.

An older woman with a mane of red hair not unlike Peggy Bundy in 'Married With Children' and the late Beverly DeAngelo (Author's note: 'Homewrecker'.) came up to Teresa. "We know you set up that endowment for Hospital kids. We took up this collection for it. It's not very much..."

It was $200 in cash. As she took the money, Teresa said "It sure means a whole lot to me, though. It's very kind of you. And I'm going to tell everyone of your generosity."

"Not yet, though." I admonished. "I'm still working on the case of the molesting priest, and we're making progress. But our efforts are being observed, and I fear that the Enemy is becoming aware of what we're doing. All of you need to be very careful. Watch your backs and each other's backs. Go back to your lives and jobs, and don't come back here to the Police Station."

"If there's anything we can do to help you, Iron Crowbar, please let us know." said one of the men. "You have no idea how much we want that bastard to be taken down."

"Oh, I think I do." I said. "Okay, thanks for coming by and for your generous gift to the Research Fund. And please be safe out there..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we talked to Geiger, the MCD Detectives were talking amongst themselves.

"Wonder what the Commander wants with Geiger?" Joanne asked.

"Whatever it is," Lt. Jerome Davis said, "it's none of our business until Commander Troy says it is."

"Yes sir. I wasn't trying to pry." said Joanne, who absolutely was trying to pry, and everyone knew it.

To change the subject, Theo Washington said "I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm really wondering why they're promoting all of us."

"To clean out the Senior Detective rank." said Julia Rodriguez. "And Commander Troy is promoting you rather than demoting you, which is a very good thing to do."

"Yeah," said Theo, "but it wasn't really necessary to do that, as far as I can tell. Again, it's not a complaint at all. I'm just (air quotes) 'wondering out loud'."

Julia said "There is one possible reason. I've heard a lot of rumors about a lawsuit to separate the Town from the County, or change the representation on the Council. I've also heard talk that the State Legislature might combine some counties in their next session, and that our County and Coltrane County and Nextdoor County might be merged."

"And if that happens," said Teddy Parker, "then we Lieutenants are going to be leading teams of Detectives all over the place. There will be a lot more Precincts, and we'll be dispersed to them..."

Part 6 - Birthdays and Best Behaviors

6:00am, Sunday, August 1st. After doing my workout on the Bowflex and the stationary bike in the attic room of The Cabin, I made coffee and took the first cup outside on the back deck. I sat down in the metal mesh loveseat as two outstanding dogs raced around the side of the house and down their path on the mountainside to inspect their territories and do their business.

Some moment later, as I watched a train coming out of the western horizon, I heard the back door open. Carole appeared next to me.

"Morning, Daddy." said my firstborn child as she came up to me and climbed up onto the metal mesh loveseat next to me. The dogs returned and took up stations in front of us, guarding their owner.

"Good morning, Fussbudget. Happy birthday." I said. Yes, my little girl was eight years old today. EIGHT! I thought to myself. Where does the time go?

"Thanks, Daddy." Carole said.

"Are you ready for your party?" I asked. "We've got more caramel cakes than human beings should be allowed to have."

"Good!" Carole said enthusiastically. "I just hope I get the present I really want."

"What's that?" I thought, thinking it was a little late to be telling me that now...

But it wasn't. Carole said "I really want to go to the Promotions Cer-e-moan-eees tomorrow." Yep, my eight-year-old daughter was more interested in the Police event than her own birthday party.

"Okay, but you're going to have to be on your very best behavior." I said.

"I always am, Daddy." Carole said. Bowser sat up and looked at her in sheer canine disbelief at that statement. And it got her a 'look' from Daddy that connoted my disagreement with that self-assessment. She then said "Okayyyy, I'll be very good."

"Good." I said. "Okay, let's pet these outstanding dogs, and then go inside and make breakfast..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:00pm, Sunday, August 1st. The Usual Suspects came to The Cabin to help Carole celebrate her 8th birthday. And among the extended family to visit was Carole's grandmother, Phyllis Troy.

"Oh, things are very peaceful in Apple Grove." my mother said as we talked while waiting for the other guests to arrive. "There have been a few small mysteries that I've helped the Apple Grove Police to solve, but Captain Wisocky and her Detectives are doing a very good job."


"Bu-ut..." I said, sensing my mother was holding something back.

"You know that BigAgraFoods tries to bring in Illegal Aliens to work on their farms." my mother said. "As a result, the Catholic Church in Rome is larger than one would expect for a county the size of Fillmore County. Well, it got around that the three priests at the church met with BigAgraFood executives in the county, and then two of the priests traveled to The City."

Phyllis: "I never travel alone, not even to the grocery store. Mrs. Starnes and I were doing some shopping for groceries and her prescriptions at the drug store, and we both noticed a car following us around. I immediately called Captain Wisocky, and Apple Grove Police Officers began following the followers. The followers broke off their surveillance of us, and we haven't had any trouble since."

I said "Did they pull the car over? Or identify who owned it?"

"Yes, son." my mother said. "The car tags were (air quotes) 'normal', but they were registered to the Federal Government. Department of Agriculture. And they were so obvious, and very inept in the way they were following us. So I can't understand what it was about, unless they had a second team that was doing a better job of it."

"No, you would've seen anyone else trying to follow you." I replied, very sure. "But isn't it interesting indeed, that they were so inept you spotted them immediately... as if they wanted you to see them." That struck my mother very hard, and she went into a family trait known as a 'reverie'...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Carole got a nice haul of gifts. Jim gave her a cookbook he'd printed on the printer and bound with those plastic binders used for reports, and every recipe was for stringbean dishes. Carole's grandmother was much more enthusiastic about the recipes than 
Carole was, so my daughter said she was regifting it to my mom for my mom's birthday on August 31st. Jim did also give Carole some gift certificates to McDonald's, and thus avoided a potential future Junior Crowbar beatdown.

And after all the other gifts save one, Marie gave Carole a hand-drawn book. It showed Carole and Marie at school together, playing together, petting Buddy and Bowser together... and then playing violins together. Carole did not say anything about that, except to compliment Marie on the drawings and thank her for the book.

"What about that picture of you both playing the violin?" Carole's cousin Todd asked with a grin that let us all know he was up to something.

"It was nice." Carole said diplomatically. "But we have to play Marie's violin one at a time, and Dr. Maes-tro is teaching Marie lessons." That was true, and Dr. Wolfgang Strauss, a.k.a. The Maestro, had refused to accept payment when he saw that Marie was a student that would make us all proud in the memory of Alice, who had died of cancer. (Author's note: 'Beethoven Virus', Prologue.) And Carole's natural skills were such that The Maestro said his teachings were hardly needed.

"Well then!" Todd said brightly. "We'll need to do something about that." He reached under the sofa and brought out a violin in its case, and handed it to Carole.

"Oh, wow!" Carole said joyfully. "Thanks, Uncle Todd!" Marie had also squealed with delight, and watched as Carole took out the violin, which was of excellent quality but not in the hundreds-of-thousands-of dollars range, and tuned it up.

Bowser and Buddy saw what was about to happen, and hurried for the stairs. Meanwhile, Teresa said "Someone is making trouble for some dogs... and some parents."

"Yezzz." Laura said witheringly, giving Todd a look that matched her mood.

"Like mother, like son." I said, referring to my sister Elizabeth's capacity for making mischief. But the twinkle in my eye did not go unobserved by Our Sheriff, whose mustaches were twitching most merrily.

Todd's grin widened, if that was possible, as he said "Don't all the great Detectives, like Sherlock Holmes, play the violin? And Carole wants to be a great Detective."

"And I'm going to be one." Carole confirmed quite agreeably. And then she began playing the violin, which sounded very nice, making rich, quality sounds. Between it and Carole's playing, it wasn't bad. Not Beethoven Virus quite yet, but not bad. Bowser and Buddy even came back into the room after a few minutes...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:00pm, Sunday, August 1st. The Orange Order dinner convened at the Junction Station Depot. Since it was Sunday, alcoholic beverages were verboten, but we still enjoyed the steak and/or chicken with salads and other trimmings.

Afterwards, after being 'introduced' by Speaker Rudistan, I announced the promotions and medals. After announcing the four new Lieutenants, Efram Elliot, the now-retired and once head of TCPD I.A., asked "If you don't mind my asking, why are you promoting all four of them."

"Cleanup on Aisle 4." I said. "We're doing away with Senior Detectives, and we're moving them up instead of down."

Elliot persisted: "But why all four, and why now? Is there some other reason behind it?"

With one of the Lieutenants-to-be, Teddy Parker, in the room, I didn't want to get into details, so I said "Like I said, it's cleanup. By the way, Captain Elliot, I do need to talk to you, and get your input on who our next Internal Affairs leader should be." Captain (Ret.) Leslie Charles leaned over and whispered something to Elliot. Elliot looked peeved, but said no more.

Cindy Ross spoke up: "And we do have a birthday to celebrate. It was today, but we'll sing to Junior Crowbar Carole Troy---"

"Noooooo." I said. "She's eight years old, and already thinks she's Police Chief. Mebbe next year."

"...when she's nine, and really will be Police Chief!" exclaimed the irreverent Micah Rudistan. The room erupted into laughter...

Part 7 - Honors