Fool's Envy Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
S-Des
S-Des
3,038 Followers

They set the date for eight months from the proposal, hoping it would be enough time for him to continue his recovery. Steve promised himself he would do anything to help him give Karen all his love without reservations, even seeing the counselor her friend recommended. After all, Karen gave herself to him completely, allowing herself to be totally vulnerable. He was slowly finding he could give her that kind of love in return.

Steve shook his head, trying to clear the melancholy thoughts. He looked at Karen, her eyes now closed with a peaceful look on her face. There was no doubt in his mind; she was the best thing that had ever happened to him.

No, there's no way she'll ever know how close it was, he thought. After how much she's given me, I owe her that.

He smiled weakly and whispered again, "I love you, Karen." Then he gave her a kiss, grateful to have a second chance at happiness.

~~~~~

Steve wasn't aware that at that same moment on the other side of town, Terry couldn't sleep and was heading to the kitchen for a drink. As she walked by the window in the second floor hallway, her eyes wandered to the house down the street. She froze, realizing that the scene looked exactly the way it had the first night she left Ted and Jackie's house after watching them, starting her on this path. Without thinking, she wiped a tear away from her eye with the back of her hand as she recalled the feeling of excitement mixed with the emptiness she felt when she had walked home, accompanied only by the street lights.

Only now, when it was too late, she understood that the emptiness had been her body's way of warning her that something was wrong. Lost in the excitement at the time, she chose to ignore the signs. Terry softly cursed as she walked downstairs to the kitchen. She sat in her chair at the table where she and Steve had shared meals for most of their marriage and faced his chair.

"You know I love you more than anything, don't you?" she said, imagining he could hear. These 'conversations' had been happening on a fairly regular basis, helping her cope with the emptiness in her life. "If you gave me another chance, I'd show you how sorry I am. There is no way I'd ever let you down again." She paused and sobbed quietly.

"I don't know what to do without you." Terry crossed her arms on the table and lowered her head to them. She quietly cried until sleep mercifully came some time later.

*

Due to the number of comments I received requesting I explore Terry's life after the story, I have written the sequel to this piece. If you enjoyed this story, please try Fool's Reward to see what happens next.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. They are most appreciated and helpful.

S-Des
S-Des
3,038 Followers