Guarded Hearts Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Temperance made the sticks disappear and carefully pulled her earplugs out, Nathanael had, when he learnt she was going to be making lots of noise, demanded the precaution to protect her ears. She was docile at his demand and had obeyed it but only after a confirming glance from Thais.

"I didn't do it." Temperance said defensively.

Amy chuckled, "I know you didn't." She said as she got out from behind her desk. "We are going out." She told her children. Temperance turned and tilted her head to the side as she studied her siblings. "JOE!" Amy called.

Her assistant appeared from the side room that she used for her office, "Yes Amy."

"I'm going out for a few hours, take messages or tell them to call back tomorrow." Amy informed her assistant.

Joe nodded and returned to her office.

"Can you inform Wolfgang if he gets home before us?" Amy asked Anna as she took Serenity's hand.

"Yes." Anna told her, "Bastion is bringing a car around." She added.

Mayhem and Gale paused as she went to walk into Amy's office. "Oh..." Mayhem said as she saw Amy with her children, "I wanted to talk to you about getting Maddie an identity band." She informed Amy.

"Go and get Maddie, I have to replace Serenity's, she can pick hers out." Amy answered.

Sienna walked up with an arm around Keira and Maddie, "Well if you're going to the pack jeweller Keira has to go to get metamorphic jewellery so we may as well tag along." She suggested.

Amy nodded and sent a mental call out to the bodyguards attached to the cubs as they walked to the front door. Bastion as if sensing that a group was going had brought out the nine-seater mini van. He was busy installing the child restraints. The bodyguards came and two raced off to get the SUVs they had been allowed.

Sienna watched for a moment before buckling in Temperance, her dark eyes flashing a little in annoyance, as her eyes focused on the bodyguards, as if someone would be stupid enough to attack cubs when their parents were present, even idiots knew it was suicide. "I still think that is absolutely stupid." She muttered to Amy as Amy was buckling in Thais.

"Stupid it may be but necessary." Amy answered as she moved to buckle in Serenity. Maddie, Keira, Gale and Mayhem piled in as Sienna took her seat in the front next to Amy who would be driving.

Half an hour later, they pulled up out side of the Pack jewellers business. The front of the building was almost non-descript, they waited in the van as half of the bodyguards walked in to check the place out. When they got the confirming nod, they left the van and entered the building.

A middle age appearing gentleman bowed to Amy, "Alpha, what may I do for you today?" He asked in a gentle but curious tone.

"Serenity broke her bracelet so I decided they were ready to choose their own." Amy answered.

He nodded with a knowing smile, Amy's cubs were known to be very different to normal cubs, no one would be surprised by this event happening so soon. He glanced to Mayhem and bowed to her, "and you Alpha?" He said respectfully.

Mayhem jerked a little when she realised he had been addressing her, she wasn't used to being referred to as Alpha as everyone in Amy's house pretty much didn't stand on formalities. He gave her an amused knowing smile as he waited respectfully for her to answer. "My fosterling requires an identity band." She answered finally and gestured to Maddie.

He nodded and glanced inquiringly to Sienna, "Keira needs to change her band and jewellery to metamorphic."

He nodded again and smiled opening his arms, "You have come to the right place, children... look well and chose the item you cannot get out of your minds." He invited. Amy, Sienna, Gale and Mayhem sat letting the cubs choose without their influence.

Keira approached as the others started to look in cabinets, she placed her old bracelet on the table, "I would like the same one please." She said with a hopeful look.

"Are you sure?" He asked and got a firm nod. He smiled and went to a cabinet and returned with a velvet tray with bracelets on it. He took her hand and took a deep breath to divine the size he would need, the longest rope bracelet slithered over. He picked it up, nodded, and presented it to Keira. "Do you like it?" He asked and she nodded.

"Good I'll engrave it with the others," he put it aside with a piece of paper with her name and date of birth on it. He then offered her a gold necklace and a series of simple earrings to replace what she was already wearing. "Choose some sleepers or studs and the necklace will replace the one you normally wear around your neck." He explained before moving over to Thais who seemed fixated on something in one of his cabinets.

He came to a stop before Thais who pointed at a tray of heavy leather and silver bracelets and solid half bands; he pulled the tray out and offered it to Thais who instantly pointed to the thick braided black leather half band with silver highlights. He didn't question Thais's choice, as he knew when he went to check he would come back to that band. "You'll grow into it." He said confidently as it was one of the largest bracelets he had, luckily it could be bent to fit, he moved it to sit next to Keira's new band.

"Literally." Thais answered and went to examine other cabinets. Maddie was next and chose a wide golden cuff, which had intricate knots all over it.

"Do you want your full name on it?" He asked and got a small confirming nod. "Madeline Koravic Luis-Collins."

"Madeline and in brackets Maddie and the Collins and Luis is the wrong way around." Maddie corrected.

He nodded when he saw the answering nod from Mayhem, "her birth date?" he asked knowing there was still come conjecture as to Maddie's age.

"Electra and I have decided to celebrate her 'birthday' on the same day she was freed from slavery and Nathanael swears she's actually thirteen." Mayhem answered and got an affirming nod from the jeweller. He wrote it all down and put the large golden cuff next to Thais's.

He turned his attention next to Temperance who was looking at sample necklaces where the name itself would be made from whatever metal chosen, he had taken some precautions when it came to the triplets and had organised moulds of the girls' names in several styles of writing. He was pleased now that he had as it looked like Temperance had her heart set on one.

"Which font do you like?" He asked.

"That one." Temperance answered as she pointed.

"Gold or silver?" He asked.

"Gold." She answered as he pulled out the sample necklace and quickly wrote down Temperance's name and date of birth he went and placed it next to Maddie's.

He then turned his complete attention to Serenity. She was draped over one of his cabinets, he joined her and watched as the letters of her name rose up and through the glass then rested on it. She turned and smiled up at him.

"This please." She said.

"How do you want to wear them?" He said as he scooped up the silver blocks with the letters of her name on it.

"Around my throat please." She answered.

"Tight like a collar?" He asked and got a confirming nod.

He nodded and put them on the board with the others. "There is a courtyard with some play equipment; I'll call you in when I'm done." He said as he scooped up the tray and walked into the workroom.

Amy ushered the children outside to play while he worked. An hour later, he called them back in; one by one, he introduced the cubs to their new bands and divested them of their old ones if they had them. Each time he placed one on them he focused binding the band to their bodies.

Temperance could barely stand still as he looped the necklace around her neck; she touched her name when it touched her skin. He grinned and tucked the excess chain down the back of her shirt. Finally, he came to Serenity. He showed her the leather and silver choker; it had taken him a while to figure out how to make the choker survive her were form when it was pretty much fully-grown.

He had figured it out and he placed it around her neck and pulled it tight so that it hugged her throat. When he was done, he stepped back and smiled. "I have charged your account." He told Amy with a bow.

"Thankyou." Amy said then turned to the group, "So... before we go home... who wants ice cream?"

Arms shot into the air.

****

Ghost woke slowly several hours later, his mind foggy, he blinked for a moment as his eyes focused on a white surface, the bed beneath him was oh so soft, coupled with the white ceiling he thought that his wish had finally come true, that he was dead. An assumption he thought was even more so as his eyes focused on the face of his dead love. He stared in wonder and joy as she smiled at him, a warm welcoming smile that had him floating on cloud nine.

Another face came into view, one he didn't know, it instantly had him reacting. His body protested as he grabbed Snow and rolled them both away from the stranger. He was then on his feet and growling keeping his body between her and the strange man.

Nathanael held his hands up and backed away.I'm not out to hurt you.He told Ghost.

Ghost blinked in bewilderment, the man before him had clearly spoken yet his lips hadn't moved. "How did you do that?" He asked but the language he used had long ago died or had changed into something completely different.

I'm sorry I can't speak that language. I am speaking into your mind.Nathanael explained.

My mind?He asked trying it out for the first time.

Yes.Nathanael told him but could still see him standing protectively before Katie.Ghost... that isn't Snow.He told him gently.Look closely.

Ghost turned back to Katie and studied her closely. Her blond hair was a few shades darker than his own, her eyes were green, this was not the woman he had loved all those years ago. Snow had dark eyes, dark hair and honey brown skin, the woman before him looked like her in the face but it wasn't her.

I'm sorry Ghost... the Snow you knew is dead.Nathanael told him.

Ghost felt his heart shatter, tears welled up and he bowed his head. Katie was there, pulling him into her arms and holding him close. She had been saddened by Ghost's story and had wanted to comfort the big wolf, now she got to comfort the man... the sexy naked man. She stroked his hair and tucked his head into her neck before stroking his strong back.

Everything about this man had her aching to be there for him, to wrap him up in comfort and love. To pull him out of this exile he had put himself in. His scent crept into her nose; it was warm and wild and made her heart race. His arms hugged her as he cried; he took a deep shuddering breath and his tears instantly stopped in confusion. He took another deep breath, letting her scent fill his mind.

Nathanael watched, waiting. He saw Ghost tense and pull away to look at Katie before leaning in to smell her again.

I don't... she smells just like Snow did.Ghost said as he turned his bewildered eyes to Nathanael.

Nathanael snorted to keep from bursting into laughter, he couldn't help it, this was funny.How about we eat and I try to explain what's what.He told him.

Katie gently pulled out of his arms and grabbed the clothes she had gotten Eric to go and get while Ghost had been sleeping; she had also cleaned the dried blood from his body while he was out. She helped him into the clothes and smiled at him as she tied the drawstring to the sweats.

He followed stiffly keeping a good grip of either someone or the wall as he found walking on two legs strange after so long of walking on four.

Maria smiled at Ghost as he walked into the kitchen.Hello Ghost, I'm Maria.She told him as she started to pile a plate with food.

Ghost sat near Eric, he looked around in wonder, he knew of guns, of cars, of cities and towns but he had never been in a house before, everything was new and strange to the ancient Were. Maria walked three heavy plates over and put them down in front of Ghost. He didn't recognise a lot of what was on the plates but it all looked delicious. Katie handed him a knife and fork and gestured for him to eat, he waited for the others to start eating so that he could copy them, a knife he knew but the other object was alien to him.

Maria got another few plates together and served Eric and Nathanael. Electra took care of feeding Katie and herself. Maria returned to get herself something to eat then they were all seated and eating quietly. Nathanael took a deep breath and launched into the same speech he gave to every newly turned Were only he made slight adjustments to fit Ghost's circumstances. Maria and Electra added bits when Nathanael missed something.

Katie turned to Eric. "So quiet." She said gently. He smiled and chuckled.

Eric and Katie didn't interrupt the silent discussion. When Eric finished he stood and started collecting empty plates and took them to the sink. He put the plug in and started to fill the sink with hot water; he squirted some detergent in then proceeded in rolling up his sleeves to keep them from getting wet. When he was happy with the levels, he turned the taps off and started scraping plates before sliding them into the hot foamy water.

He then started to wash as he filled the second skink with warm water to rinse the soap off before drying. Maria walked over and tried to nudge him aside to take over. He held his ground and smiled at her. "I wash, you dry." He offered.

She thought for a moment then nodded. She was a little uncomfortable letting him wash as that wasn't his job but he seemed to genuinely want to help out. They worked silently side by side, when they finished Eric snatched the tea towel from her hands to dry his. "In my family the person who cooks never does the dishes."

Maria watched him not knowing what to think. He smiled and tossed the tea towel playfully into her face. He then jumped away and chuckled as she yanked the damp towel from her face. She held two corners, gave it a quick couple of twists then flicked it at him. He dodged the attempt and stuck his tongue out playfully. She wound up for another attack.

Ghost watched but didn't understand what he was seeing. He nudged Electra,Why are they doing that?He asked.

They are playing, see they only just found out they are mates, Maria was badly abused, she trusts no one, and he is trying to gain her trust by being a friend to her. So that her and her wolf aren't in conflict, just close enough for her wolf to be happy and just far enough away so that her human is happy.Electra explained.

Ghost glanced around and his eyes found Katie's, he still didn't quite understand what Nathanael had told him. Reincarnation was at the moment beyond his understanding having lived so long with the belief that everyone only lived once. However, he couldn't be more overjoyed to be with her again, to be close to her.

Katie felt his silent scrutiny. She turned to Electra, "Okay... spill... why is he giving me take me home puppy dog eyes." She asked.

Electra smiled. "Do you have an overwhelming desire to help him, to comfort him. Something you don't understand or want to?" She asked.

Katie nodded.

"When you were comforting him, did you wonder why he stopped crying so suddenly, why he became so interested in your scent?" She asked again and again Katie nodded.

"You are an incarnation of Snow. You're his soul mate." She told her.

Katie blinked in surprise; she hadn't even considered that possibility. "I thought it was just because I'm good at what I do, because he was a patient. That he knew I was trying to help." She said bewilderment clear in her voice.

Electra chuckled, "apparently chance meetings are common with immortals."

Nathanael smiled, "aren't all meetings chance meetings."

Electra grinned, "I stumbled upon my mate while investigating abductions, Alanna bumped into Tarval, Grandma on a whim decided to help me, there was Grandda, and ma literally fell out of the sky and into da's life." She said listing the hook ups that she knew came by chance.

Nathanael nodded, "When put like that I see your point. You forgot Ghan and Keira." He added, everyone who frequently visited the manor knew about Ghan and Keira but everyone was keeping quiet about it until Keira herself realised, as learning too soon, having just been turned and not at ease with her beast, could confuse her more than she needed.

Electra frowned, "I don't consider that a chance meeting." She told him.

"But all the events that led up to it were based on chance," Nathanael argued, "chance that Keira and her mother were out that day, chance that Keira's mother was killed and in her grief she ran into a fire fight. Chance that Susan saw her and ran to her rescue, chance that she wasn't killed. Chance that on a whim Amy and the authorities decided to put her with Sienna and Gillian. Chance that the only pack Ghan could join without disrupting it is Amy and Wolfgang's and chance that because of threats Keira needed a body guard and the only one they could find was him."

Electra thought about it seriously, "Okay when put like that I get it." Electra frowned, "There is one thing I don't get, Keira was scratched two weeks ago but she hasn't gone through the rages."

Nathanael nodded, "Yeah well, Amy has a theory about that."

"She always does. What is it?" Electra asked.

"She believes that Keira long ago accepted that she was going to be scratched, that she was going to be Were, she accepted it. Therefore, when she was scratched her body accepted it as a forgone conclusion. Never considered it to be a forced turn so no rages, she's undergoing a turn of choice." Nathanael explained.

"Always knew she was a little freak." Electra muttered.

"Still... I am curious." Nathanael added, "as to what she is going to be, she has a fifty-fifty chance of being either a snow leopard or a white tiger."

"What about Serenity's blood, will that have any effect on her?" Electra asked.

Nathanael rubbed his chin for a moment but shook his head, "no... it shouldn't however... I've never transfused immortal blood before, let alone blood from what ever the triplets and Amy actually are."

Electra smiled, "We will just have to wait and see." She knew that what type of Were Keira would become was the subject of great speculation. She guessed that only one person might know exactly what Keira would turn into would be Thais but he was staying tight lipped on the subject.

Katie turned to Maria who was still play fighting with Eric only he too now had a tea towel. "Do they do that often?" Katie asked.

Maria didn't bother to turn, "Go off on tangents... yep... immortal thing." She said and dodged the flick of his towel at the same time. She held up her hand for a time out. "They view things differently, what's important to mortals isn't important to them because they can't die so everything has a different meaning to them." She explained then flicked her tea towel and landed a strong smack on Eric's chest.

"Oh it's on now." Eric said as he wound his towel up. Maria tried to dodge and ran from the room followed closely by Eric.

Katie turned to Ghost, "And he doesn't understand a word we say." She rested her chin on her closed fist as she continued to watch him. He smiled a little at her but had understood nothing.

Nathanael and Electra slowly, stealthily left the room leaving Ghost and Katie alone. Katie lifted her head and put her hand on her chest as she suddenly realised that he didn't even know her name. "Katie." She tapped her chest. "Katie."

"K..." He started to pronounce.

"Kay-tee." She said drawing her name out.

"Kay-tee." he said copying her although he spoke with an unrecognisable accent.

"Katie." She said bringing it together.