Haunted Prey Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Please don't take offense to him," Charisma said to Alauria, "He's going through a really rough time right now. We all are."

Alauria had to blink back her surprise. She was actually defending him? Things just kept getting stranger.

"Are you all right?" Alexis asked.

"Yes, I'm fine," Charisma assured, "Just wasn't prepared to have this week's tirade directed at me." She brought her fingers to her temples and frowned at how warm her hands were.

"What's wrong with your hands?"

"They hurt a little, but-" Charisma stopped when she looked down at her hands and felt her eyes widen at their condition. "That's not normal."

"No, it isn't." Alexis moved to take her hands in his but stopped when he felt the intense heat radiating off them. With a frown, he grabbed a metal bowl from the top of the counter and placed it in her hands. It immediately began to soften as if being melted. "How are you doing that?"

"Doing what?"

Alauria looked toward the entryway once more to find a gorgeous raven-haired man walk into the room. His stormy grey eyes were filled with concern as he walked over to Charisma and Alexis and his strong angular face was contorted with concern. It was quite obvious that Charisma was his woman and he was very much the doting man. Alauria watched Charisma hold the melting bowl up.

"You did that?" He asked.

Charisma only nodded before placing the liquefying metal on the counter. "It just happened." She held her red hands up for display and frowned at the dull throb radiating through them. "My hands hurt."

"They're about as hot as..." Alexis looked from Charisma to the man and raised a brow as he said, "Her hands are as hot as yours get when you don't want to flame up."

"Jameson, what is he talking about?"

"I think you're retaining some of the abilities you swapped."

"What?" Charisma shook her head in denial as she took a step back. Six months ago, she didn't know she had the ability to swap powers between beings with abilities. After being kidnapped by a powerful demon, the full range of her ability had been unlocked, making her able to hold the abilities within herself for a short period of time before having to insert them into someone else. She wasn't sure if she liked this part. "How can I do that?"

"I'm not completely sure," Jameson replied, "But I'm the only one I know of whose powers you took in who can do that." He thought for a moment, hoping to remember something that would help him figure out the puzzle. "You told me that your mother's ability was retaining powers permanently."

"Yes."

"It's possible that you're beginning to take after her," Alexis reasoned.

"So now I'm going to be throwing fireballs?"

Alexis raised his brows high in realization when the red color in her hands intensified. "It gets hotter the more distressed you become. Liam must have set you off."

Jameson narrowed his eyes dangerously as he asked, "What does he have to do with this?"

"Nothing," Charisma said. She looked at Alexis as she asked, "So you're telling me that when I'm upset I'll do this?"

"Anger is what triggers Jameson's ability."

"What did he do to upset you?" Jameson asked.

"Jameson, we have more important questions that need to be answered," Charisma countered. She made a mental list of the abilities she'd temporarily absorbed thus far. "Five. Five abilities. Fire from Jameson, healing from Liam," She shook her head as she remembered accidentally switching their abilities, "Invisibility from Roman, slowing things down from Draco and fear recognition from Dion." Dion, a young man who had also been abducted by Zaide was able to pick out an individuals greatest fear and use it as a weapon. Unfortunately, Charisma was not able to return his ability before Zaide was defeated. "Zaide meant for me to give him other powers, but there wasn't enough time before he killed... Before what happened to Nadia."

"Take deep breaths," Jameson instructed. He took hold of her hands but to him, her touch only felt mildly warm. That only meant that her newfound ability truly did come from him. "The more you calm down, the cooler your hands will become." He glanced at Alexis, who seemed lost in thought at the new developments occurring. "Where did Liam go?" He had a good mind to talk to his rude mess of a brother. It was one thing to intimidate Charisma because he knew she was afraid of him, but to go so far as to bring her to the verge of tears... It was unacceptable.

"With Lindsay. Focus on Charisma. If we're right, we're going to have to keep an eye on her to see just how much her abilities advance."

Jameson was too shocked by the reply to acknowledge the advice given about Charisma. "Lindsay's here?"

Alexis only nodded once as he said, "He brought a guest."

It was then that Jameson noticed the wide-eyed woman standing near the refrigerator. She looked like a statue; her face was frozen in place and she never moved. It didn't even look like she was breathing. He was easily able to recognize her fear and amazement, which only told him that she'd witnessed everything that happened. "It's a lot to take in, but trust me when I say that you're safe."

Alauria was only able to nod slowly. So much had happened in the space of ten minutes; she was on sensory overload. She wanted Lindsay; he was the only constant at this point and the only familiar person she could depend on. She wanted him to hold her and tell her that everything would be fine, that she didn't have to worry about the insanity that was his family. There was kindness in Jameson's eyes, however, and that observation alone gave her the courage to take a deep, calming breath. She could get through the next five minutes on her own.

Jameson walked over to stand in front of this new and strange woman, who amazingly looked calm. Most women who walked into the manor had panic attacks because of the environment they'd been thrust into. "You're here with Lindsay?"

"Yes, he's my..." She trailed off when she realized she was about to label him as her boyfriend. Alauria couldn't call him that, not after she'd ended that level of their complicated relationship. But it was quite certain that he wasn't simply a friend or a protector. "I'm here with him."

Jameson only raised his eyebrows high as he nodded. He didn't want to touch that subject. "Welcome to manor, where days like this are considered slow."

"Uh, thanks, I guess."

"Why don't you get yourself out of the corner and take a seat at the island." He shuffled her over and pulled out a chair for her to sit. As he settled his new guest, he winked at Charisma, happy to see that the intense color in her hands was slowly fading. "Would you like anything to eat or drink?"

"No thank you," Alauria said with a small shake of her head. What she wanted was Lindsay, but she couldn't say that. "Are you another brother?"

"Yes, I'm Jameson. Resident flame-thrower."

His smile was infectious and it wasn't long at all before Alauria felt calm enough to return the gesture. "I'm Alauria. Human. Pianist."

The arrogant way she announced herself made Jameson's smile deepen. It didn't take her long to adjust to stressful situations, he was happy to observe. That meant that she had what it took to be a part of his family. That was of course, if she and Lindsay could get everything in order, which he figured would take them a long while. "Nice to meet you, Alauria. Who will we be saving you from?"

"Some demon named Raife." The amazed and wary look on Jameson's face was not a good sign. What the hell was up with this demon that everyone decided to take a step back instead of act? "Let me guess... You're part of this treaty too?"

"Well, no, it's just that after Rachel-"

"I think she's harmless enough to get out of the kitchen," Alexis announced. He gingerly pushed Charisma toward Jameson. "I don't think she'll accidentally melt anything."

"Right." Jameson pulled Charisma into his embrace and gently kissed her lips as a show of comfort and love. "Looks like we have to postpone our trip to see the house." When she only nodded and looked away, he was sure the reason for her distress was the manor given to them by Andraemalek, his brother. He'd been Nadia's man, the one to have the house built for her. "It was nice meeting you, Alauria," Jameson said with a smile.

"You too," she replied as she watched them walk out of the kitchen. It was hard to believe that only fifteen minutes had gone by since she set foot in the kitchen. Lindsay's family sure was temperamental, and if Liam was any indication, she'd been lucky when it came to the emotionality of the men. She couldn't count Jameson because he was taken, and though she wasn't sure about Alexis' relationship status, she had a feeling that the quiet leader was unattached as well; it would take one hell of a special woman to deal with his constant silence.

"Come on, I'll take you to your room."

Alauria said nothing as she followed Alexis out of the kitchen and up a widely curved staircase that led to an intricate hallway. It looked more like a beautiful stretch of road more than it did a hall, but that was just her opinion. Rich crème walls were adorned with tapestries and oil paintings that looked like they should have been cataloged in a museum. An Asian rug lined the marble floor made the hall look longer and more sophisticated, and when paired with the bronze chandeliers that hung from the arched ceiling, it glowed. Small tables covered with various pieces of art from around the world were strategically placed along the length of the hall, and as she looked closer, Alauria realized that the small pieces of art should have been in museums as well. Good Lord, she felt inadequate. "You have a beautiful home."

Alexis only nodded in response before he stopped in front of the corner room at the end of the hall. "I'll have Lindsay bring in some clothes for you. There's a closet in his bathroom with fresh towels and a robe."

Alauria didn't have time to thank him; Alexis simply turned on his heel and walked away. That was something she was going to have to get used to during her stay here, she supposed. With a sigh, she opened the door and stopped short at the threshold.

The room was like an island sanctuary. Flame-red walls were softly illuminated by the tall floor lamps that looked like lava lamps strategically placed in each corner of the room. The tall, white, waffled ceiling had no lights installed and seemed to make the room look larger than it was. A tall four-poster bed sat in the center of the room and the soft lighting bounced off the light wood. Two large potted plants were docked in front of the two corners of the bed, and the way they blocked the wooden feet of the wood frame, it looked as if the bed was floating. A lone painting hung to the left of the arched doorway that led to what she assumed was a white and brown themed bathroom. Other than the large armoire against the far wall and the lone night table on the left side of the bed, there was no furniture in the large room. When Alauria turned right and spied the enormous bay window attached to a window seat, she understood why. She didn't have to walk up to the large window to see the gorgeous garden darkened by the night sky. The stars looked like shining beads and for a moment, a sense of peace washed over her. She was safe.

Her newfound contentment gave her the resolve to walk into the bathroom. There was no decoration on the tan walls, but none were needed when the beautiful large mahogany bathroom vanity was on display. A tan marble top accentuated the large white bowl-shaped sink and shining mirror that reflected the larger than life white whirlpool bathtub in the corner. A mahogany lined walk-in shower stood adjacent to the vanity and looked way too inviting. A glimmer of excitement rolled through Alauria as she ran to the shower. She had to be careful not to slide on the tiled floor and made quick work of starting the shower. Good God, it was a glass waterfall showerhead. Within moments, her clothes were placed in a nice folded pile on the vanity and she was stepping into heaven. The water pressure was perfect and the temperature was set to stinging hot - just the way she liked it. Lindsay's scent washed over her and she followed the source to the lone bar of soap in the dish mounted on the wall. Yes, it was that intoxicating scent of his, minus his personal aroma. She couldn't stop herself from using the bar to wash herself, and gasped at the rush of arousal that spread to every cell of her body. Desire radiated from her core, making her skin sensitive and hot. Stopping it was not an option; with every inhalation of that magnificent scent, her body craved. Alauria's hands slowly caressed her skin with the bar of soap, spreading and intensifying the madness in her system. It was too much. It was not enough.

She had to force herself to put the bar of soap down. Then she blasted the cold water until she shivered. Still, it was not enough. Alauria sighed; her moods were shifting too fast for her to adjust. It must have been a result of being around the temperamental family; there was no other explanation for her mood swings. She turned off the water and simply stood in the steamy confines of the shower, praying that her libido calmed itself down. Five minutes later, no dice. She walked out of the shower and padded the short way to the closet to find a towel. Alauria wrapped herself in the large soft cloth before she walked into the bedroom. Lindsay stood in front of the window and the flash of heat in his eyes forced another throb of desire to pulse through her.

She clutched the towel like a lifeline.

It was all Lindsay could do to keep from closing the distance between them and taking her in his arms. From his place near the window, he could smell his scent on her. It was like a brand, announcing to the world that she belonged to him. She looked like an anxious doe standing next to his bed with the towel clutched to her chest. It was obvious that she was nervous; the flush taking over her cheeks was indication enough. But there was something else, a tension in the air that pulled at him. Anger wasn't the reason; she was past that emotion. "Are you all right?"

She nodded slowly before moving to sit on the bed. "Just a little out of it, I guess." Like she was really going to tell him that she craved his body like the souls in hell craved ice water. Alauria continued to glance at him, confused by why he didn't move from his place near the window. Lindsay didn't look uncomfortable, but he did look as if he wanted to move somewhere else. "That was crazy, what happened with your brother."

"He's taken the death pretty hard."

"Death?"

"Nadia, someone he considered a sister, died six months ago. She was with my brother Andrae, who had a house built for her."

"The house Charisma is going to move to?" At Lindsay's nod, she felt her brows raise in realization. "Is Liam jealous that she got the house?"

"He has it in his head that they are all trying to forget her."

"Oh." She knew that people thought irrational things when in mourning, but Liam took his grief full tilt. "I guess I'd feel flattered if someone mourned me like that."

"What?"

"I mean, to be cared for so much that someone would go to such lengths to keep from forgetting me, it makes me a little less scared to die."

"You will not die."

The fervent denial in his voice made her pause. Lindsay looked terrified at the thought of her dying. There was a panicked looked in his eyes that touched her. He really did care about her. "Not today, no."

He said nothing to the generalization she made, but turned to face the window. The thought of her dying, of no longer being there with him made him sick. It was like he was congealing inside. She couldn't die. He wouldn't let her die.

"Lindsay, I..." Alauria stopped for a moment, unsure of what to say. He was visibly angry; his body was tense, rigid. His refusal to look at her made her worried; upsetting him wasn't something she wanted to do. All she wanted was to have a civilized conversation with him. It was the least she owed him after everything he was doing for her. As she secured the towel around her, Alauria slowly stepped forward until she was able to place a hand on his broad back. She ignored the slight sting from the shocks he gave her and gently caressed him as a show of comfort. "I didn't mean to make you upset." He said nothing to her statement, but the gentle thrum of electrical pulses coming off him intensified. "I was just thinking out loud. I know you won't let anything happen to me."

"I refuse to let you die on me," he snapped as he suddenly turned. As she stumbled backward in shock, he wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to him. His scent rolled off her and seemed to intensify with her anxiety. That only pushed him further away from his control. He stared down into her wide brown eyes as possessiveness washed over him. She began to calm down and soon, she unconsciously began to run her hands over the length of his arms. She was soothing him, calming him down. Though he was a long way from regaining his control, he didn't have to worry about scaring her.

"I won't die on you, Lindsay," she murmured. The way he absently pulled her closer was turning her mind to mush. She could only focus on the heat permeating off his body and the pleasant thrum of electricity rolling off him. Pragmatism told her to pull away, to put some distance between them before things went too far. They'd been through too much in the past forty-eight hours to add what she knew was about to happen onto the list. But that didn't seem to matter as she reached up to bury her fingers in his hair. She couldn't seem to care about rationality or thinking things over as she pulled his head down to hers.

And when he possessed her lips with his, she couldn't seem to think at all.

Alauria moaned at the intensity of his kiss; Lindsay seemed to ravish her, consume her with his touch. Every nerve ending in her body seemed to react to the electrical pulses thrumming off his body. She never wanted him to stop. She fisted her hands in his hair as his tongue sought entrance into her mouth. A moan escaped her lips at the tiny shock that sensitized the tip of her tongue. Alauria absently felt the towel being pulled from her body, but thought nothing of it until he lifted her into his arms and placed her on his bed. Lindsay took a step back and the dark vibrant color of his eyes set shocks of fire coursing through her system. There was something strangely erotic about laying nude on his bed while he stood above her completely clothed. She felt exotic, inhibited... wanton. She adjusted her position on the bed, resting her weight on her elbows and felt the throb emanating from her core intensify at the hitch in his breathing.

Lindsay didn't know which part of her he wanted to devour first. Every inch of that silken body called out to him, urging him to drink his fill. The innocent flush on her face contrasted the seductive look in her eyes and the sensual tilt of her lips. Her breasts rose invitingly with each intake of her breath. Her nipples were stiff and begging for attention. The sight of them pained his straining cock wonderfully. Alauria's legs were closed, but they were also slightly drawn up. Impatience made him forget to think things through; he lowered himself onto the bed, placing his large hands on her knees. Her shudder of anticipation made his head swim. He didn't have to work very hard to pull her legs apart. The dull light of the room bounced off the wetness that clung to short hairs of her cleft. "Fuck," he moaned. The scent of her arousal had him taking hold of her hips. Lindsay pulled her toward him and lined her glistening core with his face. He could clearly see the throb of her arousal that made her glistening lips quiver. Finesse had to be a priority; while she might have liked him following his instincts and ravaging her roughly, he wanted to give her something to remember.