Homewrecker Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, here's what Nell Bell gave us on Darryl Dawson." said Julia Rodriguez. "He's made a lot of money legitimately, and he's made even more under the table. He's 'the guy' when it comes to lobbying Legislators, and he's probably greased a lot of palms with green dollar bills over the last several years."

Julia: "He has offshore accounts that he's funneled some money into, and he's got stock market accounts with millions, and bank accounts that are maxed out on how much they can have, $250,000 per account."

"What about expenses?" Captain Perlman asked.

"He has very few in his personal accounts." said Julia. "Just paying the rent on his apartment and paying the bills. In fact, he was spending a lot more when he was dating Beverly DeAngelo; he spent a lot of money on cars, clothes, and jewelry for her. Well within his means, though. And because he's not spending much in more recent months, he's been socking that money away."

Julia: "He runs a lot of his legal business expenses through his law firm, and the under-the-table ones through some shady accounts that MPD is still looking into, and will likely discuss with the SBI-OFI when we're done with the murder investigation. Quite a few Legislators will not be happy about that, so MPD wants to let the Iron Crowbar know before they hand it off to the OFI."

"Smart people." I said.

Mary Milton asked "Was Dawson using Beryl to 'entertain' Legislators on behalf of his clients?"

"He definitely hires girls for those purposes, and to 'entertain' other clients." Julia said. "That may be how he met Beryl, too. We found some old photos of him and her at parties with Legislators, and she was his date. No telling what happened after the cameramen left."

"Let's not make assumptions, though." I said. "She may have just been Dawson's date, and other girls, possibly supplied by her or by him, took care of Wilson Hammond's needs." Everyone chuckled at that.

"Okay, before we start theorizing with data," I said, "let me ask a question: did anyone look to see if Beryl had filed for restraining orders against anyone?"

"Yes sir." said Mary Milton. "I know Lainie did." She looked up something on her tablet, then said "Here it is. We know Terry Schultz and Bart Bell's ex-wife had restraining orders against him, but nothing showed up when she ran Beverly DeAngelo's name. She also ran a search for 'Beverly Angel'."

"Hmmmmm..." I said, mostly to myself, then said "Tell you what. Have her run more searches, with all of Beryl's aliases. Also run searches for all of our suspects, all of them, from Adams to Earl Edwards. Search Southport, and get help from down there if you need to. And dig really deep, as if someone is trying to hide the Court record of a restraining order being issued."

"Wilco." said Lt. Mary Milton. I noticed Captain Perlman also making a note of that. Mary then said "Lt. Davis, did you get anything from those key sleeves you confiscated?"

"Unfortunately, no." said Jerome. "The sleeves for 801, 802, 804, and 806 are all missing, as are about half the rooms MegaTech had reserved. They were probably given out and not returned."

"It was a longshot, at best." I said. "Good work getting them, but sometimes some things don't pan out. Okay, I believe we're very close to having all the data we're going to get, unless you have something you want to work on. So it's time to discuss ideas based on the data we have. Possible blue crowbar award for whoever is closest to being right. Who wants to go first?"

"I'll go first." said Roark Coleman. "I really think it's Bart Bell. He had motive, means, and opportunity, and he has the type of personality that could do something like what was done to Beverly DeAngelo. It's almost... obvious, I guess is the word."

"Are you suggesting he had help?" asked Captain Perlman. "Is Deborah Wilkins involved? Elliot Sanders? Others at MegaTech?"

Roark replied "It's very much a possibility, ma'am. They sure flew the coop as fast as they could, got her out of the State as fast as they could, and left Bell behind to take the fall. I'd like to dig a lot deeper into it."

"I don't disagree with your arguments, Mr. Roark. Especially the part about the killer having had help." I said. "But do you think you have a case against Bart Bell that we can take to the D.A.'s Office that will enable them to get a conviction?"

Roark seemed unperturbed as he said "Not yet, sir. But maybe if we dig deep enough, we'll find some things, like if he bought a hunting knife. And if we can find and talk to Deborah Wilkins again, we might find out if Bell really was in her room all Thursday night."

"What if she's out of State?" I asked.

"We can ask the jurisdiction she's in to help us," said Roark Coleman, "or ask the FBI for help. With respect, sir, you're an FBI Consultant; you could go anywhere in the country to question her."

"You're right, I can." I said. "And yes, we could ask for help. But what if you find her, and she corroborates his story?"

"Then at least we'll know, sir." Coleman said.

"So you're on the MegaTech Industries track, as opposed to Organized Crime?" I asked.

"I guess so, sir." said Roark. "But I don't insist on the full MegaTech angle, nor the Mafia angle. Bell could've done it independently of them. It could even have been an opportunity that just dropped into his lap."

"Pun not intended, I'm sure." Tanya said with a grin, hinting at Beryl giving a lap dance. Most of the people in the room laughed.

"All right, then." I said. "We've talked about Earl Edwards and Charles Caldwell, as well as Bell. So what about Darryl Dawson and Andrew Adams?"

"We can't eliminate either one of them, sir." said Julia. "Adams doesn't have strong financial means to hire a hit man, but he is connected, and might ask for a favor. And Dawson easily has the means to hire a hit man, and maybe even hide the money flow."

"Flip side of that for both," said Teddy Parker "is that this really does not feel like a hired hit at all. Not only is it not a professional assassin's general M.O., this killing feels personal."

"My problem with the theory on Adams," I said, "is that he'd be asking the Mob to kill the niece of one of the other mobsters in the same extended 'Family'. But the vengeance factor is definitely there. And I agree with you, Parker, that this is more personal than a pro hit."

"Could it be someone we haven't found yet?" asked Theo. "An impending divorce that hasn't been filed yet?"

"I doubt it." I said. "I have information from a C.I., the notes of which I just uploaded, which corroborates information that Beverly hadn't dated anyone the last few months. And she was seen at the MegaTech offices in Palmyra County right at the time they moved out of there."

"Maybe that's why she came up here?" Teresa asked. "Maybe a MegaTech executive is her next 'homewrecker' target?"

"Could be." I said. "But don't you already have a blue crowbar?"

"No." said Teresa.

I nodded, then said: "So like I said last night... there are two tracks here: the Mob, and MegaTech. And I think our five suspects are the ones to keep looking at..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I came into The Cabin to find a large gathering, ready to watch the Wildcats game. I changed into more comfortable clothes, and came down to join them.

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

Bowser barked angrily at the phone, and Carole shushed him as I answered the call. It was Jack Muscone.

"Hi Dog." he said when he answered. "Sorry to call now, and sorry I was short with you earlier. We were putting out some fires around here."

"No problem, I hear ya." I said. "Let me go outside." I walked the phone out the front door (again to Bowser's noisy displeasure). Once outside I said "Thanks for calling. Anything to report?"

"Yeah, several things." said Muscone. "Your victim, Beverly DeAngelo? She's not an Agent, at least not for us nor anyone in the Federal Government. But Dwight Stevens of the DEA got back to me after I sent out the feelers, and he said Beverly was once believed to be a drug mule for the Southport Mob, and that she may have tried to work politicians on behalf of them, the Southport Mob, especially after Orrin B. Taggart took over from Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone."

"That's good information." I said. "Any MegaTech connections?"

"Just Bart Bell, which you already know." said Muscone. "We've been looking at Deborah Wilkins and her situation up in Racine, Wisconsin. MegaTech hired lawyers to help her with that. BigBenefitInsurance told MegaTech they're pissed about it, and may sever ties with MegaTech over it."

"Wow, Big Boyz fighting Big Boyz." I said. "That could be big. I appreciate the information, and I have a favor to ask you... do a favor for me, and I'll return the favor sometime, as our friendly neighborhood Corleones would say."

Jack Muscone barked a rare laugh. "Okay, what do you need?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And the clock runs down to all zeros," said the television announcer, "and the Wildcats have clinched the Division again, and will play for the Conference Championship..."

"Yay!" Carole and Marie cheered as we watched in the front room of The Cabin. Tasha cheered, too, but I had the distinct feeling she didn't really understand what the cheering was about. The redoubtable Bowser was hanging out with them, and was not particularly happy with the noise they were making. He went over to Sheriff Griswold, who provided him some skritchins.

To my surprise, Ian was in the greatroom, petting Buddy. Jim and Ross had abandoned the game and gone upstairs to work on 'Lego City'. It amazed me how often they could build and rebuild their structures around the spine of the now-massive railroad network I'd helped them build. But Ian had not gone up there with them.

"Hey, Ian," I had called out earlier, "why aren't you upstairs with Jim and Ross, working on Lego City?"

"I don't want to." Ian said simply. Buddy looked up at him and got more skritchins.

"Jim and Ross don't want Ian up there playing with them." Carole said, snitching on her brothers.

"Okay, you kids go get washed up for supper." I said, seeing that Laura, Molly, Paulina, and Selena Steele were bringing the hamburgers and fixins out to the dining table. Stephanie Steele had 'telescope time' tonight, so she did not attend. Laura wasn't allowed to cook, but she could set the table and pour potato chips into a bowl with one hand with the best of them.

As the kids went to various washrooms to clean up, Sheriff Griswold, Edward Steele, and I went over to the adults. "What's up with that?" I asked.

Laura said "Jim and Ross are nearly the same age, and of like minds and dispositions. Ian will be four on November 27th. And you get one guess who has been forcing Jim and Ross to do the right thing and let Ian play with them more than they otherwise would."

"Future Iron Crowbar, I'm sure." I said, knowing Carole didn't brook much crap from any of her brothers.

"It's not that bad, though." said Molly. "Jim and Ross aren't mean to Ian. They just go off on their own paths and don't wait for Ian to come along."

"Well," I said, "the silver lining is that Buddy and Ian are getting along well."

"Except for Teresa, Buddy loves Ian more than anyone else." Laura replied. I nodded thoughtfully...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After supper, we adults gathered in the greatroom to talk. I served 'adult beverages' to those that wanted them, and non-alcoholic beverages to those that were driving or just didn't want to consume alcohol. I had lowered the blinds and closed them, as I often did after dark.

"So what's the situation in the D.A.'s Office?" Edward Steele asked Paulina.

"Quiet, but tense under the surface." said Paulina. "Miriam isn't saying anything out loud about Franklin running against Harry Nance for Nance's judicial seat, but Franklin told me Miriam believed he needed to take a leave of absence, because it was a conflict of interest for him to be a prosecutor in any courtroom while he was running for a judicial position."

"Does he have to take a leave of absence?" Selena Steele asked.

"No." I replied. "Only if he were running for D.A. Just as anyone in the Public Safety Department would have to take a leave of absence to run against Sheriff Griswold here for Sheriff."

"Har." said Griswold. "If Crowbar would run for Sheriff, I'd drop out and let him win."

"Ain't gonna happen." I said. "I want to vote for the Sheriff we have now."

Paulina said "Franklin said he told Miriam that he refused to take the leave of absence, and would fight it if Miriam tried to force him to. He then asked her if she would force Savannah Fineman to take a leave of absence since Savannah is running for Solicitor. At that point, the mood in the room turned ugly, and Miriam told Franklin to get out of her office. They haven't spoken since, except in group meetings, and strictly business."

"Wow." said Molly. "Paulina, why don't you run for D.A. again."

Paulina said "I can't even form an exploratory committee; if I do, Miriam will force me to take a leave of absence. And while I can't be fired and can return, she believes she could demote me to DDA if and when I do return. So I can't even get any polling to see if I have a shot to win."

I said "And Walters's DDA plan isn't working out very well. Hannah Doss is running for Magistrate Court Judge, after the current one, Margaret Sullivan, announced her retirement. No one's saying it out loud, but I think Judge Sullivan is ill."

Paulina said "I hope Hannah wins. And you're right, Don, that Judge Sullivan has been ill, and Nance has used that to intimidate her Court and force warrants to be issued by him... and Folsom has done nothing to stop that. And if Franklin wins the judgeship and ousts Nance, I don't have to tell you how much better that will be for all of us."

"Anyone running for Mayor against Daniel Allgood?" asked Laura.

Sheriff Griswold said "Someone will, but we're not sure who, yet. Eldrick X. Weaver wants to run again, but the Black Business Council is strongly considering supporting the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Williams for the post. I think the various black groups are trying to get together to nominate candidates in a unified front. Paulina's brother T-Square could be an important influence in all of that." Paulina nodded vigorously in agreement.

Edward R. Steele added: "And, by the way, we're not sure Allgood will get the Republican nomination. There's a lot of chatter in the northern suburbs about primarying Allgood because he supported the Charter. I have to admit, Don, I did not realize the hatred that was generated amongst the wealthiest citizens of the County over the School Board and the equal-funding-per-student. They are absolutely livid, and the level of their rancor has not dropped off at all."

"It is what it is." I said. "What about the Council?"

Edward said "That's where the Democrats as well as the black community are really going to make their push. Every Council position will be contested. Even the Democrat seats will be primaried. Malinda Adams is already being primaried by Stacey Jacobs. They're even looking for someone to primary Kelly Carnes!"

"I can't wait to see that catfight." I said under my breath, but not quietly enough to not be overheard. Everyone chuckled at that.

"So, Selena," said Edward, "shall we give it away before the Iron Crowbar figures it out?"

I just gave Edward a look. "What do you mean 'before'?" I asked. "I'm way ahead of you on this."

"Prove it." Laura said. "Tell us what it is."

"Go ahead." said Selena. "Y'all just keep it in-house."

I said "J.P. Goldman is retiring at the end of the year, and Selena will be the new CEO of the J.P. Goldman Bank." Everyone gasped in surprise, and congratulated Selena. Then I said "What I don't know yet is if Mr. Goldman is going to retire from the Council, and support your run for it." More gasps of surprise.

Selena said "Not yet. J.P. will run one more time. He's still popular, and he's still very angry about that ipecac attack." (Author's note: 'Casting Aspersions', Ch. 02.) "But he knows he can't do it forever, and he wants to pass on the seat to someone he considers trustworthy. And it'll give me time to build up name recognition and start building an organization."

"What about the I.G. position?" asked Paulina. "Wellman isn't running, and God help us all if that pedophile Finneran wins."

"Leave that to me." I said in my deepest 'Darth Vader' voice. But no more would I say on that subject...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:30am, Sunday, November 17th. Laura and Paulina were asleep in the master bedroom bed. I was sitting in the rocking chair that Laura or I had rocked Carole in, that my mother had rocked me in when I was baby. I was looking out the window over the back deck of The Cabin, seeing the lights of the Town beyond it. The deck was an eerie bluish-gray, lit only by the pale light of the moon, drained of color.

What am I missing? I thought to myself. Because I am missing something. And it's something that I've seen or heard, something right in front of my face.

"Oh Commmannderrrrr..."

I glanced up. There she was, Angela Harlan, in her 'spider' negligee and high heel black pumps, seeming to glow in the light of the moon coming through the window.

"What do you want, Angela?" I seemed to say in my head.

"My dear, dear Commander." Angela said, her voice filling my head. "All this time, and you just have not learned. She does not need a crowbar!"

I woke up. I had fallen asleep in the chair. I looked up, seeing Laura and Paulina in the bed, asleep. I looked outside, over the deck and at the Town. The light of a train coming out of the western horizon sparkled in the far distance.

And suddenly, it all fit. It had been something Teresa had said, which now was hitting me full force. Everything was now falling into place. I knew who had murdered the Homewrecker, Beverly DeAngelo. I knew how he had done it, and why. And I had an idea who had helped him. All I needed was the proof. And it is much easier to get the solution once you have the answer...

Part 17 - Suppositions Changed

Sunday, November 17th. I went into Police Headquarters at 7:30am. Joan Laurer was in Vice, working hard on her computer at her desk. Julia Rodriguez and Roark Coleman were in MCD, working at their desks. Captain Perlman was in her office, as well.

"Hi guys." I said to the MCD Detectives. "Glad to see you here today. I might need your help, if you'd like to personally make an arrest today."

"Would we ever!" said Coleman enthusiastically.

"Okay, stay put, then." I said. I went to my office and started a pot of coffee. Just then Cindy came in.

"Good morning, Commander Ross." I said. "Ready to make an arrest today? And would you like some coffee before we begin?"

"Yes., and yes." said Cindy. I poured us both coffee, and handed Cindy her mug. Then I heard that unmistakeable sound:

*Whirrrrrrrrrrr*

Tanya drove her wheelchair into my office and stopped on a dime in front of my desk. Literally: I had taped a dime to the floor right at the front edge of my desk and the plastic flooring that she drove on, and she stopped with it right in the center and the front of her motorized wheelchair.

"Care for some coffee, Captain?" I asked.

"Sure, sir." said Tanya. I poured her a cup in 'her' coffee mug that I kept by the coffeemaker under the television monitor, put pollutants ('fake sugar' and creamer) in my own coffee, and sat down in my comfortable Command Chair behind my desk.

"Two things, sir." said Tanya. "Jack said to tell you that the mission you asked him to do was successful. And Lainie wants to talk to you, sir."

"Excellent!" I said. "After we leave, I'd like for you to mobilize Intelligence Division to see if this person went to a gun show and purchased a Bowie knife, also called a 'Rambo' knife. There's no purchases of that kind on his credit cards, so I'm betting he paid cash. And I know the FBI surveils gun shows in the City, Midtown, Southport, and our Town & County, so if you happen to ask friends in the FBI or BATFE about it, I won't complain."