Irresistible Impulse

Story Info
His best friend steals his wife.
12.6k words
3.1
263.5k
85

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 04/10/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ukresearcher
ukresearcher
1,440 Followers

They say that nothing is more shocking than lightning from a clear blue sky and I suppose that any disaster is that much worse if completely unexpected. I was living a tranquil life of real contentment, married for over ten years to Louise, my soul mate, with two adorable kids (nine and seven) and in a job that brought home a comfortable income without taxing my capabilities overmuch. From the start we believed that having a mother at home was more important than exotic foreign holidays but since the children both started school, Louise has helped out in the village shop, on a part time basis during the week supplemented by every other Saturday morning.

Our only real friends were Jerry and Davina. They lived just over three miles away in a much larger house than we could afford and they also had a couple of children roughly the same ages as ours. It was Jerry who was my friend originally. Twelve years ago we started together as young hopefuls in the same insurance office. Quite naturally we spent lunch hours and other off duty time together during the day but as we were both courting seriously at the time, evening socialising was not part of the friendship. I married first with Jerry as best man and when they tied the knot six months later, I returned the favour.

They became parents first - Davina was well pregnant at the wedding and her condition was the only reason that her parents had consented to the match. There was no doubt that Davina had married beneath her for she came from a moneyed background. But although she brought with her enough wealth to provide a lifestyle to which Jerry rapidly became accustomed, I have no doubt that had her parents regarded her husband with fewer reservations, there was far more that they could have done for the couple.

My name is Toby. I thought that I'd mention that and get the laughter over with before I continue the story. I reckon that when I was born my parents must have been going through an old fashioned Bulldog Drummond phase because there is no genealogical precedent and I can think of no other logical reason for the name. I can't deny that I would have preferred Vance or Brett but, apart from initial introductions, I have grown quite at home with the name - the diminutive 'Tobe' has quite an affectionate ring to it.

Soon after his marriage, Jerry left the insurance firm where we both worked and moved to a rival organisation a couple of blocks down the road. Over the intervening years, a different environment, greater ambition and (although I hate to say it) more ability have allowed him to rise until he now holds a position equivalent to that of my current immediate boss. Even though we worked in different buildings the friendship continued with us meeting most lunchtimes to either dine or play squash. That game gives a fair indication of his character because he was driven to win. I enjoyed the game but was willing to push myself only so far and no further so he generally left the court with the winners laurels - though my very rare victories did give me a great feeling of satisfaction.

Jerry is a bigger man than I, nicely topping six feet he can give me three inches and about twenty pounds. He is also a big womaniser. Blessed with a surfeit of charm he uses it to the full and seems to have developed an almost magic touch. Even while still engaged I know that he had flings with three different girls and in the months after the wedding when a bad pregnancy limited his marital sex he was like a tomcat on the prowl. He didn't change - that was just the way he was. I was never sure if Davina knew - at times I was convinced that she must at least have suspicions.

The incredible speed with which he worked on women was impressive. Some months before the point at which my story starts, we were lunching at our usual restaurant when an exceptionally attractive woman sat at a table near us. Jerry immediately enthused, "She is absolutely delectable - I'm just going to have to have a taste of that." For the rest of the meal he did not take his eyes off her and I felt rather embarrassed for the poor woman pinned by his relentless stare. When she left he jumped up to follow, saying to me, "You may not see me for a day or two but I will be in here on Friday for certain." When Friday arrived, I duly asked him if he had managed to find out who the woman was. "Yes, she's the wife of one of the law court officials," he said smugly. "You wouldn't know just by looking at her but she has the most incredibly erectile nipples. Very, very tasty - I'm afraid that you won't be seeing me many lunchtimes next week."

The friendship between Jerry and I extended to our wives and eventually our children. We never actually went on holiday together (although it was often suggested) largely due to the fact that our pocket was nowhere as deep as theirs. Nevertheless we spent a lot of time at each other's houses; the kids often slept over and during the summer there were frequent very enjoyable day out excursions as a group to local places of interest. One summer Friday night all four children had been invited to a birthday party thrown by a mutual school friend. This was in the nearest town and comprised a meal in McDonald's followed by a session of laser warfare.

Louise and I had driven to the venue to collect our two. I parked right outside the door while she went in to find them leaving me waiting by the car. After a couple of minutes, Jerry wandered up, indicating where he had left his vehicle at the far side of the car park. At that moment all four kids erupted out of the hall door and of one accord, in a flurry of excitement, ran across and piled into my car. I was about to try extricating the two who did not belong when Jerry suggested, "Leave them, I'll follow with Louise and pick them up at yours. In the unlikely event of you being back first, make sure to get the kettle on."

It seemed a good idea so I agreed. Driving out of the car park, in the rear view mirror, I saw Jerry share my wife's load of rucksacks and jackets as they walked to his car. After two or three miles he had caught up for I spotted him a couple of vehicles behind me but when we got to the road that leads past the pike, he indicated and turned off. I should explain that 'The Pike' is the local name for a large hill. We actually live on the opposite side of the hill to the town and the main road that skirts the base is roughly twelve miles. There are narrow country lanes that cross the hill, (one leading to the pike itself, a local beauty spot with an incredible view). The shortest route is only seven miles and can be marginally quicker than the main road but if stuck behind one of the ubiquitous farm vehicles the journey time is easily doubled and more. I smiled when I saw him detour - it was typical of Jerry that he would be determined to get back first without being crass enough to race on the main road.

When I pulled into my drive I was quietly pleased to see no sign of Jerry's car. I gave the kids crisps and coke and watched them disperse to PC, Playstation and the hammocks in the garden. With three mugs set out and the kettle boiled, I was actually delighted when the missing pair had not turned up after twenty minutes. Up until three quarters of an hour I was still chuckling to myself at the picture of Jerry fuming behind a hay wagon with a shed load but from then on I began to get more and more concerned. From an hour and a half onwards I was ringing my wife's mobile every few minutes and making regular trips to gaze down the road in the direction from which they should appear.

It was almost at the two and a half hours after my arrival that they finally turned up. Jerry acted completely unconcerned but Louise had the grace to look upset. "You must have been getting worried," she said.

"Frantic," I told her but I was grinning, such was my relief at getting her home safe and sound.

"Jerry had a puncture and when he went to change the tyre the spare turned out to be flat as well," she explained. "He had to walk down into Hotton to get someone from the garage to come out."

"Completely stupid," Jerry confirmed. "The damn thing had never been on the road so I guess it must have started with a slow puncture when they put the new tyre on the rim." He then proceeded to gather his brood and get them into the car. I did suggest that he might like to ring Davina in case she was also worried but he said she would quite expect them to have stayed at our house for a while.

"Why didn't you ring me? I could have come out - for that matter you could have rung the garage. I tried your number several times but you didn't answer".

"My battery's flat. I've been meaning to charge it for a day or two," Louise told me looking a little flustered. "Of course we tried to ring the garage before Jerry set off walking - it was the obvious thing to do".

That was it. We had a late meal, got the children to bed and relaxed in front of the TV for what was left of the evening. At bedtime, I was actually in the bathroom when I heard my wife's mobile phone ring. Hurrying through my ablutions, I went into the bedroom to find Louise pushing the receiver back into her handbag. "That was Virginia," she said. "She was sorry for ringing so late but she forgot to mention that she has to go to the cash-and-carry early tomorrow morning so the shop might be still shut when I arrive."

"I thought that your battery was flat."

"I thought it was too - there must be a blind spot near the pike. The bloody phone really startled me going off just now."

'That was what you call bad luck', I thought smiling to myself, 'to have your puncture compounded by both a flat spare in a radio black spot really took some beating'. No more was said just then but after we got into bed, Louise remembered, "Oh I forgot to mention - while I was chatting to Jerry as his tyre was being fixed, I happened to mention those venison steaks we bought and somehow I finished up inviting him and Davina for dinner tomorrow night."

I was not at all displeased. It was about three weeks since we had such an occasion and I was always more than happy to see Davina. The evening proceeded pleasantly with all the usual banter until after we had finished the steaks when I happened to ask, "Did you manage to get both your tyres fixed then Jerry?" Davina looked at me quizzically obviously not knowing about the previous day's crisis so I told her briefly how Louise and her husband had taken the short cut over the tops only to be afflicted with both a puncture and a flat spare. "It took them a good two hours to get it all sorted," I concluded with a laugh.

Davina did not seem to think it at all funny. In fact her whole face seemed to close down. The immediate atmosphere was partially broken by Louise jumping up and disappearing into the kitchen, saying loudly that she was going to prepare the sweet, then only a minute later Jerry mumbled something about helping and dashed off after her. It was all so sudden that I was almost on the point of making a remark to that effect but one glance at Davina's face discouraged me. So we sat there in stolid silence taking care to avoid each other's eyes, with me desperately hoping the other two would be back with the pudding soon, if only for something to talk about. The trouble was that they did not come back.

The hands on the clock crept slowly round, five minutes, ten minutes, fifteen, twenty. At this point Davina slammed the knife that she had been fidgeting with down hard on the table and glaring at me demanded, "Well, are you going to see what is keeping them or not?"

My mind was in a mess. As the length of their absence had grown I had grown more and more uneasy until at that point I desperately did not want to go into the kitchen for fear of what I might walk in on. Luckily I was saved from taking action because at that moment, Jerry walked in carrying the pudding flamboyantly one handed above his head, with Louise following bringing the jugs of sauce and cream.

As she was serving, my wife said something about having forgotten to leave the gas on low heat while we ate the first course and this simple explanation filled me with guilt about my unworthy suspicions. Considering the time it had taken, that culinary concoction was far below her usual standard but that was not the reason the evening broke up almost immediately after the meal. Disappointed by the loss of the usual pleasant conversation, in bed I decided to make the most of our early night by indulging in a bit of conjugal rights. Louise seemed almost reluctant at first but then switched completely and clung to me with desperate passion. It was an odd evening altogether.

Sunday we went out to spend most of the day by a river. For the life of me I can't remember where except for the image of David and Claire dropping twigs from a bridge and racing them to a tree root winning post. When we got home in the late afternoon, Jerry was leaning against his car waiting for us. "Davina has left me," he announced as soon as our children had run into the house. "She's taken the kids and gone - I suppose back to her parents."

My wife and I both asked, "Why?" at the same time but I noticed that Louise seemed to have a funny look on her face that was not really explained by the shock of what he had told us. Jerry shrugged his shoulders, "God knows - got a bee in her bonnet about something. She's threatened to go plenty of times before but this first time she has actually done it."

We invited him in for a cup of tea and it was natural that he should then stay and eat with us.

Afterwards we spent the evening drinking and talking loosely round his marital situation with the consensus of opinion being that his wife would be back in a day or two if not sooner. When Jerry stood up (actually to visit the loo) he was more than a little wobbly, prompting Louise to suggest that he was not in a safe condition to drive. At this, I jumped in to say that the obvious answer was for him to sleep in the spare bedroom and this was quickly agreed. Later in bed, for some reason I felt incredibly randy but for possibly the first time ever Louise knocked me back. "It wouldn't feel right with Jerry next door," she said and yet more than once in the past we had been quite unrestrained with her parents in that same bedroom.

Next morning I gave our guest a disposable razor and a spare toothbrush from a pack we had bought by mistake. Breakfast was a rather rushed affair and then he and I drove to our respective offices in convoy. At the end of the day I got home to find Jerry's car again in the drive and the man himself propping up the kitchen counter while the kids tucked into their potato wedges and fish fingers. It was Louise who gave me the news. "Davina went back to their house last night while Jerry was here and she's changed all the locks so he can't get in. I've said that he can stay here for a night or two until she either changes her mind or he finds somewhere else."

After the previous night's inhibition of my sex life, I was not too pleased about this but after ten years I could hardly turn my back on a friend in his hour of need. We actually spent a very pleasant evening talking about everything but his domestic crisis. In bed I made no try for affection having already resigned myself to doing without for the next two or three days. Usually I sleep like a log but possibly due to oats deprivation I remember waking two or three occasions. Once, I don't know what time it was, I reached out for Louise only to find her missing and some time later her climbing carefully back into bed again roused me. The time then was quarter to four. This sparked a memory of the previous night when I must have woken at exactly the same time because I can vividly remember the red digits 345 floating before my eyes in the darkness.

I had hardly settled behind my desk at work the next morning before a call was put through to me from Davina. "Will you meet me somewhere for lunch - anywhere where Jerry is not likely to be," she asked without any further explanation and rang off as soon as I had mentioned a restaurant and time. She was already waiting at a table when I arrived. "Well?" she demanded almost before I was seated.

I was completely at a loss - from her attitude you might have thought that it was I who had brought her there. "I don't understand," I mumbled.

My obvious bemusement modified her attitude but still with an undertone of disbelief she asked, "You do realise that they are having an affair, don't you?"

It was too fantastic to believe but Jerry's wife was speaking with such certainty that she had to know something that I didn't. "How long has it being going on?" I asked her, searching more for information that I could lock my mind onto rather than a specific answer to the question.

"I don't know - Friday for sure."

"Friday?"

"Come on, Toby, that puncture story just doesn't hold water," Davina said impatiently. "You know as well as I do that Jerry is possibly the only person in the country who always carries two spare tyres. He hates winding down the rack that holds the normal spare under the car so he bought himself another that he keeps in the boot. Apart from that he carries two of those aerosol repair kits that inflate a punctured tyre long enough to reach a garage. So ask yourself, as the puncture didn't happen, what were Jerry and your wife doing while they were alone on the pike for over two hours?"

Now that Davina mentioned it I could clearly remember Jerry bragging about a year ago that he had no fears of ever caught out by a puncture. "I see what you are getting at," I nodded. It was a singularly inept response but my mind was in too much of a whirl to do better.

"And what do you think they were up to all that time in the kitchen at your house on Saturday?"

"Louise explained about the gas," I said lamely.

"It did not explain why she had a glob of semen on her blouse when they came back. I'm pretty sure that Louise had no idea it was there but I'm equally confident that Jerry did. It's just like him to deliberately leave it there just to rub our noses in it."

I felt physically sick and just at that moment the waiter came to take our order. Davina saved the situation by quickly asking for two of the simplest dish on the menu and requesting that we have a double whiskey and large gin to be going on with. Too many things suddenly fell into place so I knew Davina was speaking the truth but I still tried to argue against it. "Friday couldn't possibly have been planned," I objected. "If your two hadn't got into my car, then there would have been no question of Louise going with Jerry."

"I know, that fooled me for a second or two but Jerry always was the ultimate opportunist."

"Is it why you are leaving him?"

"Yes - I warned him five years ago." Davina paused while our drinks were placed on the table and after a large mouthful she continued, "Don't think that I don't know about all his other women. I do but I have lived with it. Life was not at all how I wanted it but I made the best of things and tried to put his other women out my mind. But right from when we first met I have been very fond of you and Louise. Many times I've wished that my marriage could be like yours. You give Louise everything that I have ever wanted. As I said I could stand the others but five years ago I warned Jerry that if he ever laid a finger on Louise I would leave him and take the children. It worked because he really does love his kids - that is about the only good thing you can say about him. They think that he is a wonderful dad and much though I have been tempted, I could never bring myself to tell them what a total shit their father really is."

"He's been after Louise that long?"

"Longer. Jerry has lusted after your wife ever since he was best man. It was low key almost joking for a long time but then roughly five years ago, from the way that he looked at her when we were at each other's homes, I knew that he was planning a move. That's when I warned him - and it has worked until now."

ukresearcher
ukresearcher
1,440 Followers