Just a Story Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He's six years old." said Todd. "But you're right about the plane. Keep the kids back while I pick up the rental." He went to the car rental counter, and picked up the reservation. He did not want the kids nearby because the drivers license he gave the pretty woman behind the counter was not his normal one; the last name was his mother Elizabeth's married name (Ned's father), which Todd had dropped when he learned his real father's name and legally changed his own name to it. And sure enough, the lady used the name on the ID in just about every sentence she said to him, trying to be nice.

That was just one of the security precautions Todd routinely took while traveling. Another was when they got to the rented Cadillac Escalade, cream white in color. After putting all the luggage in back and some in the backseats along the far side, Jack noticed Teresa looking under the bumpers and the wheel wells. Todd was doing the same on the driver's side of the vehicle.

"Aunt Teresa," Jack asked, "what are you looking for?"

"I'm just making sure there are no tracking devices attached to the vehicle." Teresa truthfully replied. She did not add that she was also looking for car bombs. Satisfied that there were no threats, she got into the shotgun seat as Doug and Mike clambered into the rear backseat and buckled up, and Phyllis and Jack got into the seats behind Todd and Teresa. Teresa checked for bugs (the Iron Crowbar gives the best Christmas gifts, she thought to herself), finding none.

"This is nice." Teresa said of the Escalade as they pulled out of the parking lot and entered the stream of traffic.

"I could have bought one of these for what they're charging for one week's rental." Todd quipped, which caused Phyllis to chuckle.

As they drove along the highway, the boys began chanting in unison "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" Todd grinned, but Teresa turned around and gave them a look connoting a lack of humor at their attempt at humor.

"You guys are going to have to be on your best behavior." she admonished them. "Aunt Clarissa is even more 'old school' in her expectations that you mind your manners than Great-Grandma Phyllis is."

"Yezzz." said Phyllis. "And if you pay attention instead of finding ways to get into trouble, you'll learn a few things. Especially about the South and Louisiana."

"Grandma Phyllis," Jack said, which is what the boys called Phyllis, "why aren't you looking around like the rest of us are? You act like you've been here before." It was a very astute observation, and Teresa took mental note of it.

"And that is because I have been to Louisiana before." Phyllis said. "And isn't it fascinating how there are so many different looking places in the USA?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Todd was wearing a jacket and tie, and Teresa a green dress, nude/sheer stockings, and bone/nude colored high-heel pumps. Doug and Mike had (strongly) resisted wearing a jacket and tie, but Jack seemed almost happy to be dressed similarly to his Uncle Todd.

"I think Mike's on the young side to really be taking this in." Teresa whispered to Phyllis as they clambered out of the vehicle.

"But Jack is loving it." Phyllis whispered back.

Charles the Butler answered the doorbell ring. Teresa said "Batten down, Charles. We're here."

"Ye-es." Charles replied, a glimmer of amusement behind his staid countenance. "Madame Clarissa is expecting you." He led the way to the drawing room, where Clarissa Belvedere Esterson was waiting. Also in the room were Robert and Clara Edwards, and the teenage girls Beatrice and Eugenia Windham.

"Ah, hello everyone." said Clarissa Belvedere Esterson as they came in. She hugged Teresa, Todd, and Phyllis, then looked at the boys and said "Hello, gentlemen, welcome to Louisiana."

"Hi, I'm Jack Burke." said Jack Burke, going up to Clarissa and extending his hand, which Clarissa shook, amusement on her face. Teresa introduced Mike and Doug to them, and the Edwardses and the Windham girls to the boys. Jack very forwardly shook hands with everyone, and was very complimentary to the girls... flirtatiously so. The girls looked slightly amused, but mostly withdrawn.

"My son Colin and his wife Wendy should be here by suppertime tonight." said Clarissa. "They were in California, and I halfway expected them to stay out there rather than try to fly home in the mess the airlines have become."

"Oh, but they're flying in on a private jet." Robert 'Bobby' Edwards, his voice full of withering sarcasm. "They whine about their religion of 'Climate Justice' while flying about in a pollution-spewing jet."

"Robert!" Clarissa admonished.

"Oh, I know, Aunt Clarissa." Robert said. "Cousin Teresa and her family flew down on the BOW Enterprises company jet. But they don't pretend to be worshippers at the altar of Climate Change. They're not hypocrites like Colin and Wendy are."

"And I'll go you one further." Robert said. "They're flying in because of that new Climate Change Center at Todd and Teresa's University. Colin is going to ask them to introduce him to the (air quotes) 'right people' so he can beg them for money, too!"

"I'll put a stop to that!" Clarissa said strongly. "They won't be saying a word to Teresa nor Todd about that. And you close your mouth about the subject, as well, Bobby..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Charles the Butler showed the Burkes to their rooms. Teresa and Todd had the same room they'd had before, and the boys were put into the room next door, which had been the room of Clarissa's daughter, Jen Esterson Sakai. Jen did not need the room, as she was relaxing in Federal prison. (Author's note: 'Big In Japan', particularly Ch. 05.)

Mike and Doug did not need to be told twice that they could change into more casual wear, and quickly did so. Little Jack Burke remained in his jacket and tie. They went to lunch, which was a buffet of cold cuts, with lemonade and sweet tea available. Robert Edwards made an 'Arnold Palmer', a 50/50 mix of lemonade and tea, and Jack decided he'd try that, too. He also seemed to be fascinated that Robert Edwards was a Louisiana State Senator.

The conversation at lunch was kept light... until Clarissa asked Phyllis if Phyllis's son had solved any mysteries lately. Phyllis gave an account of the Craig Reynolds case in Apple Grove (Author's note: 'Reunion Fever'). Then Phyllis turned to Teresa and had Teresa give an account of the Toyota Gang cases (Author's note: 'Scavenger Hunt'; 'Witness For the Prosecution'.).

Beatrice and Eugenia had been quiet since the Burkes' arrival, and only had shown some interest in Todd's presence. Phyllis noticed that they had not talked to the boys at all beyond the first introductions. But when she was talking about the Iron Crowbar's successful exploits, they perked up and showed great interest for the first time.

So Phyllis made a point to ask the girls about their time in school. Beatrice said dispassionately that she had been accepted to Tulane University, and was taking college prep 'AP' courses. Eugenia more enthusiastically said that she was on her high school's competition cheerleading team, and had made the State Championship tournament, but only got fourth place.

Phyllis was very complimentary about their achievements. "You lettered in the cheerleading, did you not?" Eugenia said she did. "That is very good." Phyllis said. "Teresa lettered when she was in high school, as well."

"What did you letter in?" Eugenia asked Teresa, who was thoroughly shaken up by Phyllis's observations and knowledge.

"Track and Field." Teresa said. "And my sister Alexis and I both lettered in Cross Country." She turned to Phyllis and said "How did you know that?"

"Oh, a little birdie told me." Phyllis replied. "And, of course, that is how you and your sister were able to win that race against older people."

"Does Don know?" Teresa asked. "Is he the one that told you?"

"I don't know." said Phyllis. "He didn't tell me, and I haven't mentioned it to him..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After lunch, Teresa suggested they drive the boys around on a tour of the area. Teresa invited the girls to go with them, while Phyllis, Clarissa, Robert and Clara stayed behind and talked amongst themselves. At first, the girls were at least willing to go. Then Robert Edwards said he'd like to go with them, and the girls immediately said they'd drop out, and stay at home.

"Why don't you guys go on ahead, and I'll stay here and talk to the girls." Teresa suggested. Once the boys, Todd, and Robert left, Teresa 'invited' the girls onto the back porch.

"Ladies, I'll come right to the point: has your uncle been trying to mess with either of you?" Teresa asked.

"No." said Beatrice. "Not directly. Aunt Clarissa would shoot him, literally, if he tried to mess with us."

"But he's always looking at us." Eugenia complained. "He gives me the creeps. I don't like being around him. Fortunately, he and Aunt Clara aren't here most of the time."

"What about your Aunt Clara?" Teresa said.

Beatrice looked all around, then said in a voice so quiet that Teresa could barely hear her: "Aunt Clara is a snake in the grass. She's always nice, polite, agreeable... but she's a manipulator. She's got Uncle Bobby wrapped around her finger, and she's the driving force behind his political career. She's a Republican version of Hillary Clinton."

"And I take it that's not a compliment." Teresa said.

"No, it's not." Beatrice said. "And I'll add this: Aunt Clara and Uncle Bobby are just waiting for Grandma Clarissa to die... yes, I know, she's our great-aunt, but we call her Grandma Clarissa. And Colin and Wendy are just waiting for Grandma Clarissa to croak, too. They're not like you, Cousin Teresa. All they care about is the money."

"Good to know." Teresa said. "Okay, so that I can truthfully tell everyone what we talked about... have you girls thought about what you're going to major in when you go to college?"

Beatrice said "Colin and Wendy say I should major in Climate Change research, and Bobby and Clara say I should major in Business. I'm not sure, though. I was thinking of some kind of marketing and advertising, or graphic design."

Eugenia said "I haven't given it a ton of thought. Probably some kind of Education, and be a teacher."

"She's getting an M-R-S degree." Beatrice said, teasing her younger sister.

"Only one thing wrong with that." Teresa said. "What if something happened, and you have no family, no money except your college trust, and you'll be on your own for the rest of your lives. Teaching is an honorable thing to do, of course, but do think ahead on that. You too, Beatrice. A Tulane education is a gift that a lahhhht of people wish they could have. Make the most of it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Robert, Todd, and Todd's crew got back late in the afternoon. As the boys were getting ready for dinner, which Teresa told them was 'dress-up', meaning formal compared to what they were used to, Todd and Teresa talked in their bedroom.

Todd says "Mike is definitely too young to really understand the eco-systems and the history of the area. Doug gets it a lot more, but he seems a little bored by it all. Jack, though, was asking Bobby questions about being a State Senator and his relationship with businesses."

"Greaaaaat." Teresa said. "We're going to have a Crony Capitalist on our hands." Little did she know...

Todd said "How were things back here?"

Teresa said "I was really hoping Beatrice and Eugenia would take some interest in the boys and talk with them a lot more, but they're not interested in that at all. I talked to them some, and we talked about their future plans going to college and all."

She continued: "One thing that is apparent to me, though: they are really ready to fledge the nest and get out of here. I don't think they quite realize how good they have it, here. Having said that, they are creeped out by Bobby, and are right to feel that way. But what surprised me is what they said about Clara." She repeated gossip...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 10:00pm, Colin and Wendy Esterson finally arrived. The boys had already gone to bed, and the girls had just been sent up, as well. Colin and Wendy ate plates of leftover supper that were prepared for them as the others sat at the table with drinks.

"There was a weather pattern over the Rocky Mountains." Colin said, his voice sounding whiney and condescending, as always. "It was supposed to just be over Colorado, but it began spreading to the south, into New Mexico, and we almost went into Mexico to get around it."

"Your pilot didn't try to fly over it?" asked licensed pilot Teresa.

"Yes, he climbed to at least 36,000 feet, as well as diverting south." Wendy said. "But he said the storm just rolled up with us. He actually said it felt to him like the storm was coming after us."

Clarissa and Phyllis exchanged glances with each other, prompting Clara Edwards to ask "What?"

Clarissa said "I told you all about that... unique... experience Phyllis and I had, that the flight we thought was taking us here ended up in Teresa's Town & County. This sounds very much like that." (Author's note: 'Who Watches The Watchers'.)

"Yes, it does." Phyllis said agreeably.

"This family must be cursed, then." said Colin witheringly, his voice a nasally sneer.

"But we made it..." said Wendy Esterson, who then looked maliciously at Robert Edward and added: "... while millions can't get to their destinations on commercial airline flights due to the incompetence and corporate greed of the airlines."

It was Clara who fired back "You flew in your gas-guzzling, pollution-spewing private jet, owned by... which hypocritical Climate Change cause owns it? The Climate Justice Front? Diverted by a weather front?"

"You're a sick individual that doesn't give a damn about our planet." Wendy said snottily. "And it was the enlightened group 'People For A Greener Planet', upon whose behalf we raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in Los Angeles."

"And what percentage do you keep?" Robert Edwards said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Okay, that's enough." Clarissa interjected. "Teresa, Todd, Phyllis, I'm sure you're very tired after your trip here and running around after your boys. Why don't we retire for the evening, and I will see you in the morning..."

Part 5 - Day of Thanks

12:00 noon, Thursday, November 25th. We were set up for lunch at The Mountain Nest. Laura had cooked a turkey in the oven in one of those cooking bags that Sheriff Griswold would never have allowed near his turkey smoker. But it turned out well. What interested me is how enthusiastically Laura was going about with the preparations.

Our guests began arriving. First came Seth and Joanne Warner, with their 2-year-old son Tony in tow. Tony liked seeing Bowser, thinking he was Leo, the Warner's dog and son of Bowser. Then the Allgoods arrived. Daniel had actually showed up, especially after I threatened to place him under arrest and bring him over, but he did show up. I also knew that Melina was more of a reason for him being here than I was... Daniel didn't want to sleep on the couch with Dorothy (daughter of Bowser).

I was a little disappointed that Laura had insisted we have our Thanksgiving dinner at The Mountain Nest instead of The Cabin; if we were at The Cabin, Jim and his cousin Dan could have played in the attic room and worked on New Lego City. But boys being boys, they found the Nerf football I handed them great fun to throw around in the backyard.

Meanwhile, Carole was doing Carole things entertaining Patricia. Patricia knew that Bowser was her dog Dorothy's daddy, which did not stop her from petting Bowser. A lot. They also paid good attention to Tony while their mothers chatted.

Daniel stepped outside with me and Seth, and Bowser and Buddy came with us. Jim had very nicely brought the Nerf football over and invited Tony to try to throw it. With his dad's help, Tony made a good throw of four feet, and was very pleased with himself.

Then Bowser executed a good form tackle of Tony, then began sniffing Tony's chest and licking his little face. Tony was used to it, what with having Leo at home, so he just petted Bowser. And then Buddy came over, and Seth had to rescue Tony from the 2-on-1 canine lovefest.

When it came time for lunch, we all sat down, the adults in the dining room and the kids at the... you guessed it... kids table, which was the breakfast table in its kitchen nook. Tony was in a high chair, and Carole took charge of him, helping him eat some mashed potatoes and a few pieces of turkey.

After lunch, the adult women sat in the front (formal) living room and fluttered like parakeets while big boys and the little boys alike watched NFL football. Tony fell asleep. The Detroit Lions actually had a good team this year, and Jim was happy to see that they were giving the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers a solid beating. Why that enthused my son, I dunno.

"So, Seth," I said, "how are things at the Hospital? Especially with the Biology Department fiasco?"

"It could be worse." Seth replied. "Donors are looking at the Hospital as a separate entity from the University itself. And Teresa Croyle has been a saint; she's calling people asking them to remember the Hospital as well as her Trust. But donations to the rest of the University are suffering. This year, they've only gotten 60% of the donations they were getting at this point in time last year."

I said "And there are rumblings that the Republicans in the State Legislature want to defund the University, especially the Biology Department."

Seth continued: "Yes, but I'm hearing of a much greater threat to us. University Hospital is officially part of the University, and is supposed to be a teaching hospital for medical students. Some doctors with admitting privileges or on Staff are not employed by the University. Your wife Dr. Fredricson is on Staff as well as part of the Faculty, of course, but some doctors, like Dr. Morgan, are not."

Seth: "As part of her Trust and her program to find cures for rare diseases and underfunded diseases like ALS, Teresa was working with me, Dr. Fredricson, Dr. Cordell, and others to have research doctors get on the Faculty of the School and get research grants, and work with patients, kids and adults, at the Hospital. Well, you know how University President Jerry Moore fired two professors for not signing (air quotes) 'loyalty documents' to Climate Change?" (Author's note: 'God Save The Queen', Ch. 02; 'Reunion Fever', Ch. 01.)

"Lawsuits pending." I said.

"Yes." Seth replied. "But Dr. Moore is not letting that stop him. He's demanding that any new Faculty hires, be they in the Biology School, Medical School, or any other Department, sign the loyalty documents to Climate Change as a condition of being hired. And he's pushing hard to have any doctor on Staff or with admitting privileges to University Hospital sign the Führer Carmela's documents of loyalty. And that is killing our recruiting of good doctors."

"That can't be doing much for Faculty recruiting at the University, either." said Daniel Allgood.

Seth said "And the ones they are hiring are more than willing; they are eager to sign those documents. So the far-Leftward tilt of the School is only getting worse..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The serving table was filled with dishes. The traditional slices of turkey and ham and all the sides of Southern tradition were there, and some dishes of the Louisiana bayou were also there.

"This is my bowl of shrimp and grits. Where's y'all's?" Teresa said as she went through the line, indicating the entire large serving bowl of shrimp and grits. Clarissa chuckled at that. Todd and Mike helped themselves to large servings of gumbo.