Love is the Key

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She thanked him, snipped the last rose, then asked if he was ready to eat.

"I am. I'm very hungry as a matter of fact."

Just one bite of lamb made Dan's eyes look heavenward.

"You weren't kidding. This is incredible!" he told her.

"I'm glad you like it," Jill said, very much enjoying his kind words.

The asparagus was also perfect. Just a slight crispness to it and bursting with flavor.

"This is probably the last thing I should bring up, but...Cliff is an idiot," Dan said as he finished a second bite of asparagus.

Jill tried not to laugh, but the comment was totally unexpected and expressed the way she felt about her former boyfriend, so she couldn't really help herself. She knew better than to talk about her ex, but since Dan opened the door, she said something of her own.

"He seemed so surprised when I told him we were through."

"Most men really are clueless," Dan said with a smile and no small amount of self-deprecating humor.

Jill laughed again and now felt very comfortable talking with him.

"Not all men are clueless," she said rather sweetly.

Dan almost said, in a playful way, "That's why I said 'almost'."

Instead he asked why she thought Cliff was so clueless.

That, too, made her laugh, and after thinking for a moment said, "He and I talked several times about how important it is for me to have a baby...before I'm too old to...and I was 99% certain he was going to propose. I actually thought he'd ask me to marry him during dinner the next evening, but when he pulled out the little box, I was giving him credit for realizing how important my work family was to me. And what better way than to propose right there in front of them."

"So when he offered the key to his front door rather than the key to his heart you were incredibly disappointed."

"Yes. Except that 'disappointed' only scratches the surface. I...I felt...humiliated. It was bad enough that it happened in front of my friends, but it was like a...slap in the face as far as what matters to me."

"You felt like he'd never heard a word you said and was moving to the next step of what HE wanted in the relationship without regard to what you wanted."

Jill sat there and just stared as Dan cut another small bite of lamb.

"Yes. That's exactly how I felt," she said, amazed that he was able to put her feelings into words so succinctly.

"I did serve in the Army, but I'm not a violent person. I've never even hit a guy before. But when I saw you cry, I wanted to walk over and just...slap the crap out of him," Dan told her.

It wasn't funny, but Jill couldn't help but laugh, and the laughter came from the realization that he was being protective of her feelings and using that as a way of letting her know.

"I'm glad you didn't," she told him before saying, "and I'm also very thankful you were there for me."

"You looked like you really needed a friend."

She continued looking at him, and for the first time, she saw a truly caring, genuinely nice man rather than a 29-year guy who also happened to be very handsome.

"You're full of surprises, Dan Summers," Jill told him.

"I'd say it's part of my plan, but I've probably beaten that dead horse enough by now, right?" he said with a very pleasant smile.

"No. I actually loved your 'siege' analogy. It was also one of those surprises. All of which have been rather pleasant."

"So far," Dan told her as he tilted his head toward her and raised an eyebrow indicating not all of his surprises might be pleasant.

"I'll take my chances," Jill replied in a way that let Dan know his 'master plan' was working quite well.

The conversation switched to work, and for the next half hour or so, Dan learned how Jill got into TV weather and became the chief meteorologist for KAKE.

"You've obviously worked very hard, and that's paid off in the equally-obvious success you've enjoyed," Dan said in agreement.

"It's funny, but I find myself feeling more like a failure lately because I haven't managed to do the thing that's most important to me yet."

"Having a baby?" he asked almost rhetorically.

"Am I being unrealistic?" Jill asked in earnest.

"I don't think so. I don't think that at all. In fact, I'd say you're the only person on earth who knows what's most important to you, and if it's having a baby and you still haven't done that, then no, it isn't unrealistic at all."

"Cliff was married before and he and his ex-wife have two kids. So having another one, especially at his age, isn't something he was wild about. But he kept telling me it was a possibility, and I kept clinging to hope."

Jill then explained how time, and eventually life, got away from her and her husband.

"We never even talked about, you know, preserving his...sperm."

Dan didn't ask why, and he didn't need to as Jill explained.

"I know all kinds of single mothers do a great job raising their children, but I just couldn't bring a child into the world knowing he or she would only have one parent. And the truth is, I was so distraught knowing I was going to lose my husband that I couldn't even think about such things."

"For what it's worth, I agree with everything you just said. I was extremely fortunate to have two loving parents. And in the case where someone with children loses their spouse, they have no choice but to keep on keeping on. It's just that, well, in my humble opinion, anyway, responsible people should try and maximize a child's chances, and again, in my opinion, that's best done with a loving mom and dad."

"And for what it's worth from my perspective, I agree with you. Oh, your opinion was worth a lot to me, by the way, so thank you for sharing it."

"You're very easy to talk to, Jill," Dan told her sincerely.

"I feel the same way about you, too," she said just as sincerely before lightening the mood and asking if he wanted dessert.

"I'm not much for sweets, but I do make exceptions."

"Me, either, but I bought some frozen vanilla yogurt just in case," Jill told him, another smile on her beautiful face.

"You wouldn't have to twist my arm to have a small scoop with you."

"Okay. Two servings coming right up," Jill said as she got up.

When she did, Dan began picking up plates and Jill told him she'd get that.

"It looks like you're getting the frozen yogurt, so this seems like the least I can do."

"Oh. Well...thank you very much," she said. "Hmmm. Another pleasant surprise."

Dan laughed and that made Jill laugh. This time it wasn't out of a sense of nervousness. It was out of a sense of happiness, and the realization that she felt happy for the first time in a very long while.

They went to the family room to eat their yogurt before the subject of running came up.

"I'm gonna be ready for this race," Dan told her. "I'm not quite sure how just yet, but I will be ready to run it with you."

"I'd like that," Jill told him with a twinkle in her eye.

"I may not be able to run 'with' you, but I'll run the same race," Dan clarified.

Jill laughed again then said, "I told you how you strike me as a natural runner, and I still think I'm right. So it won't surprise me if you end up beating me."

Jill smiled then said, "But then again, we won't be in the same age category, so..."

Dan sat his dish down on a coaster then asked if age was really that big a deal to her.

Jill tried explaining her feelings beginning with the post-run high she was on.

"I think that allowed me to put my concerns aside even though a part of me was very hesitant to ask you to come over."

"I'm very glad you did," Dan said before asking, "and has anything changed since then?"

Jill felt a kind of stirring in her body as she said, "I still have concerns, but to use your 'siege' analogy, you're breaking down a lot of walls."

She smiled then asked, "How's that for a noncommittal answer?"

Dan smiled back then told her, "Anything other than a negative response is very encouraging."

"I do have one more question, though," Jill said.

"Shoot."

"Why...me? Why is a guy as attractive as you interested in a woman like me?"

"I'm not," Dan told her so directly Jill was confused.

He smiled warmly then said, "I'm not interested in any woman 'like' you, Jill. I'm only interested in you."

A flash of warmth washed over her from head to toe as she said, "Oh. Okay."

When Dan didn't say anything Jill looked at him then asked another question.

"Do you really not have concerns of your own?"

"Well, yes. Of course," Dan began.

"I assumed you did, I just wanted to know," Jill replied.

"My concern is you won't ever see me the way I see you," Dan said in a way that caused another, stronger sensation.

"I...I see," she said, not seeing at all as she looked down at the coffee table where she set her own dish from which she'd only taken two small bites.

"Would it help to tell you I haven't so much as looked at another woman since I met you?" Dan asked, again so sincerely it surprised her.

"I...I'm not sure," she told him.

"Well, it's true, and I also want you to know that you're the first and only woman who's ever done that to me. I guess I kind of always knew in the back of my mind I might one day meet someone who could do that, but I don't think I really believed it."

He paused then said, "But I do now."

When Jill didn't say anything Dan asked if he'd gone too far, and if so, he was sorry for doing so.

"No. Not at all. I...I just don't know how I feel about...this."

She finally looked at him again then said, "About...you and me."

"We did kind of just meet, and that would be true no matter what, so I'm inferring you're specifically referring to the age difference, and while it's not an issue for me, I can certainly understand how..."

"Wait. How can it not be an issue?" Jill asked, interrupting him, but not in a rude way.

"I'm not sure I can answer that. I'll try, but it may be inadequate," Dan told her. "Let me just say that when I see you, I don't see numbers."

Jill gave him a funny look and Dan clarified.

"I don't see your age, Jill. I see you. I see this friendly, warm, cheerful...incredibly beautiful woman. And that's all I see."

She was staring at him, but when it was her turn to speak, she couldn't continue doing it. She looked back at her desert dish as she spoke.

"That is quite possibly the most romantic thing I've heard in..."

She looked at Dan then said, "Maybe in my entire life."

"I was just making a factual observation," Dan said with a smile. "I can also say things that actually 'are' romantic."

"Well, if that wasn't your best line then...sign me up," she said very sweetly.

When Dan got up, Jill's heart froze, as did her ability to speak.

He moved around the coffee table and stood in front of her as she sat on the sofa.

When he bent down, her heart began pounding in her chest and she managed to very weakly ask, "What...what are you doing?"

Dan only smiled as he looked her into her eyes.

When his eyes closed, so did Jill's, just as their lips met for the first time. The kiss lasted maybe two seconds, but it shook Jill to her core.

"May I sit down?" Dan asked, still smiling.

"Okay?" Jill said as Dan sat next to her.

He turned her way then smiled at her and said, "In case you were wondering, that was the final piece of my siege strategy."

Jill stared at him until he asked, "Did it work?"

"Yes?" she said, again making it more of a question than an answer.

"Well enough to maybe kiss you again?"

"Uh-huh," Jill barely got out.

This kiss was several seconds in length and was actually 3-4 kisses of varying length.

"I...I should probably get these dishes before everything melts," she quietly said when it finally ended.

Dan came very close to saying, "Yeah, we wouldn't want frozen yogurt to melt inside the dish it's in, would we?" but again, he didn't think humor was called for.

"Sure," he said instead as Jill went to stand up.

As she carried the dishes to the kitchen, Jill's mind was racing a million miles an hour as it tried to reconcile what was going on with her waning fears about falling for someone so young. But as she set the dishes in the sink she realized that was exactly what was happening. His 'siege' was working. Her defenses were shattered and laying all around in pieces.

But she still needed time to sort things out, so when he asked if he could help, Jill politely told him 'no thank you'. Sensing what was going on, Dan, in turn, told her he thought it might be a good time to be going.

Jill desperately wanted him to stay, but until she could think clearly, that seemed like a very bad idea, her previous fantasy about 'hot sex' aside.

"Yes. Maybe so," she told him just before she turned around.

Again, she wanted him to kiss her again so badly it hurt, but she knew if he did, it was 'game over', and now, that wasn't what she wanted to happen. At least not all of her did anyway, as 'friends with benefits' suddenly seemed like fake romance dressed up in a cheap tuxedo.

"Thank you for dinner and for at least giving me a chance to...win your heart," Dan told her quietly.

She looked at him then said, "I really am glad you came over, Dan. I...I just need time to think, okay?"

"I understand," he told her very gently. "Please take all the time you need."

Jill walked him to the door, and to both her relief and her chagrin, he only kissed her on the cheek before leaving.

Several minutes later, Jill grabbed her phone, hit the first number in her contacts and waited.

"Mom? Are you busy?"

Jill was surprised her mother was still up. She was even happier when her mom said, "You know you can call me anytime, right?"

"I know," Jill replied. "And this is one of those times."

"It's Cliff, isn't it?"

"What? No. Cliff is out of my life."

"Oh. Then you've met someone else."

How her mother could know that was a mystery, but Jill knew her mom knew.

"Yes. And I really, really need some advice."

"Then let's talk," her 70-year old mother said.

An hour later, Jill felt so much better that surprised her, too. She'd felt hopelessly lost and confused, and in less than 60 minutes, her dear, sweet mother had made it all better. The way she always had.

Her advice had been simple and yet profound.

"How does he treat you?"

"How does he make you feel?"

"Would you want this man to be the father of your children?"

The only thing her mother said about the age difference was that her daughter was the only person who could determine how important that was. She did ask Jill if she'd feel 'funny' being seen out in public with her, and the only answer she could come up with was, "I guess I'd have to actually be seen in public to know."

But it was her mom's final comment that made the biggest impression on her.

"Remember, honey. Love is the key. Not money. Not things. Not age. The key to happiness is love."

She wanted to call Dan as soon as she hung up with her mom, but both of them were going to see the other in a few hours, so she held off, hoping to share her feelings with him while explaining what had happened. She felt awful for the way she treated him, but she really had needed time to think. Even so, she was almost certain he would understand, and that only made her feel better about the new way she felt about this most unusual new man in her life.

When Jill's alarm went off, she lay there for a minute or two thinking about everything that had happened in the last 18 hours or so, and more importantly, what might happen in another hour and after that.

Dan, who was normally almost as optimistic as Jill, and a guy who was supremely confident around women, awoke with a sense of dread. He knew Jill liked him and as more than just a friend. But he couldn't shake the feeling that she'd already decided there was no way she was going to get romantically involved with someone his age. And unlike Jill's earlier thought, Dan had no interest in being friends—with or without benefits.

He'd continue being cordial, and because he'd said he would, he'd continue running with her if she wanted, and he'd also run in the station-sponsored race. But he was one of those who believed men and women weren't cut out to be friends. Maybe friend-ly, but not friends.

A third-party observer would have no idea how nervous both of them were as Dan drove up to where Jill was already stretching. He turned off the car, put on his game face, and got out and said, "Good morning!"

His cheerful greeting encouraged her, and Jill smiled back and said, "Hi, there."

"It feels great out here," Dan remarked regarding the unusually cool, crisp air.

"It really does, huh?" Jill replied.

"Did you order this?" Dan asked.

Jill laughed and told him she wished she had that kind of power.

He laughed, too, and then there was a long period of silence.

Jill finally spoke and said, "Could we maybe talk while we run?"

"Um, if you're willing to run at my pace, sure," Dan told her, making sure to smile.

"Okay. That works for me," Jill said in a very sweet voice.

They'd gone maybe a quarter of a mile when Jill said, "So I did a lot of thinking last night."

"Uh-huh. And?"

"And I spent nearly an hour talking with my mom, who is also my best friend."

"Uh-oh," Dan quipped, hoping that wasn't bad news.

Jill laughed and said, "No! It wasn't like that."

She looked over at him then said, "Not at all."

"Oh," came the next short reply.

"She's also the smartest woman I know, and she said a lot of things that made sense to me."

"Like...stay away from men my age?"

"No!" Jill told him. "That never even came up beyond her saying it only mattered as much as I make it matter."

"I already like your mom," Dan told her as they clipped along at about eight-minutes a mile.

"Anyway, she helped me see that you're pretty much everything I'm looking for."

Jill didn't look at him when she said it, and it was said in a way that told Dan she felt vulnerable saying it.

"And I want kids," Dan said in the same tone of voice.

Jill slowed down then stopped running.

"You okay?" Dan asked as he did, too.

He was a few steps ahead of her and when he got back to her, Jill put her arms around him and kissed him for a good two seconds.

"I don't why that just happened, but I couldn't be happier that it did," Dan told her.

"If...if you really want to be with a woman my...sorry. If you really want to be with...me...I'm...I'm all in," Jill told him as she looked into his eyes, her arms still around me.

"I call," Dan said before pulling her close and kissing her for quite some time as tongues flicked and touched and soft, purring noises were made.

Jill was all smiles when the kiss ended.

"You are a very good kisser, Dan Summers."

"You're not bad yourself, Jill Asbury."

"But I can still kick your ass in running," she told him with a smile as she took off without him.

"Like h...HECK you can!" he yelled as he sprinted to catch up. His legs were still a little sore, but he felt pretty good by the time he reached her.

"You know you can't hold this pace," Jill playfully taunted as they hit a seven-minute a mile pace.

Dan kept up to the turnaround point, and did his best to stay close for another mile, but in the end, Jill not only beat him, she smoked him.

"What took you so long?" she teased when he came across the finish line gasping for air.

"I...I was...just...enjoying the view!" he said between gulps of oxygen.

"Did you just tell me you like my butt, Dan Summers?" Jill asked as though she were offended.

"Yes. I...I kinda did."

"Oh, okay. Well, that's good to know," she told him as she flung her ponytail around and walked away and said, "I know you're still looking!"

"I can't help it. You have a very nice ass!"

Jill laughed happily and realized she was happy. For the first time since before her husband got sick, she really was happy. That was a little strange because she was always positive and upbeat. The only exception in her life had been when the doctor them there was nothing more he could do.