Major League Advice

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Elise laughed then asked why he didn't date more after telling him how pleasant it had been spending time with him.

"I understand not wanting to get married. After all, you're still very young and focused on getting called up to the majors, but surely you don't have any trouble getting dates."

"I go out occasionally," he told her. "I've just always felt like I needed to be 100% focused on baseball, you know?"

He paused for a moment then said, "As far as getting called up, I'd be beyond thrilled if our AAA club asked for me," he replied.

"How do you feel about your chances? I know how tough that is, at least based on what Sam tells me."

"Oh, he's right about that. The numbers and the percentages are heavily stacked against you. Just getting to Double-A is tough. Moving up to Triple-A is incredibly hard, and the odds of getting to the majors is infinitesimally small, and making the team even smaller."

Elise smiled then said, "Well, I hope that call comes. But I will say it's obvious you're a well educated guy, so if it doesn't, I'm sure you'll be just fine."

AJ laughed then asked her if she thought being smart was a plus.

"Of course. Smart is very sexy," she said without hesitation.

He laughed again then said, "Tell that to my teammates. I typically use street language so they won't think I'm some kind of bookish snob. I mean, I'm not some pompous assh... Sorry...guy."

Elise laughed as he continued.

"But I do have a reasonably good vocabulary, and sometimes it would be nice to be able to talk to someone who didn't drop the F-bomb in every other sentence."

"Yeah, when you get an all-male anything, that's what invariably happens. It doesn't bother me at all, and sometimes the occasional, well-place swear word can say more than a long, well-written paragraph of prose."

AJ laughed again.

"You're pretty amazing, Elise."

"Oh. Well, thank you, AJ. And...same to you."

"And you're easy to talk to."

She started to thank him when he said, "And...even easier to look at."

She stopped smiling and looked down at the floor causing AJ to think he'd just crossed a line.

"Elise. I'm sorry. I didn't mean that in any kind of disrespectful way, and I definitely wasn't hitting on you or anything, so please don't..."

She looked back up at him and before he finished his thought said, "I didn't take it like that at all. I guess it was just another case of me thinking—internally—I'm still closer to 25 than..."

It took her a few seconds to say it, but she did get the word out.

"Forty."

The way she said it made AJ uncomfortable, and feeling for once anyway, like he didn't really know what to say. So he said the first thing that came to his mind.

"Do you have any other favorite movies? Maybe one a guy like me might actually willingly choose to watch?"

The way he said it caused Elise to perk up and smile.

"Oh, gosh. There are a ton of them! I think I watched more movies in the last couple of years than in the rest of my life—my very long life—-combined."

AJ laughed politely at her age comment then said, "Do you like the National Treasure movies?"

"With Nicholas Cage? Are you kidding? I love those!" she said enthusiastically. "Does that mean you do, too?"

"Well, yeah. I'm kind of an action-movie guy, so yeah, I really like both of those. You know, the treasure hunter thing mixed in with the actual stuff like seeing the Declaration of Independence in the Library of Congress."

"And stealing it!" Elise replied. "And Diane Kruger is so pretty. Don't you think?"

AJ didn't want to admit she was one of the primary reasons he enjoyed watching them, and for the first time, he realized she was an older woman for whom he'd secretly had a thing.

"Yeah. I agree. She's a very pretty woman."

He hesitated for the slightest of moments then added, "Too."

Elise kind of cocked her head then asked AJ a question.

"Okay. Did my brother put you up to this?"

"Up to what?"

"Oh, come on. I very much appreciate the kind things you've said, but I'm, well, I'm...her age. Diane Kruger."

"Um, no. I think she's in her early 40's, and no, your brother didn't put me up to anything."

He smiled then said, "In fact, I kind of had the sneaking suspicion you'd be a, well, that you'd look...very different than you do."

"I'm almost afraid to ask what you thought I looked like, so I won't ask, but I am grateful to know Sam is isn't twisting your arm to be so nice to me. He won't admit it, but he worries about me, and I wouldn't put it past him to ask the nicest-looking guy on the team to make me feel good."

Now AJ tilted his head a little, smiled, then asked, "Is it working?"

Elise laughed playfully and said, "Yes. It's working quite nicely."

"Nice enough to maybe get you to watch another movie with me?" he asked.

The smile faded again as Elise replied.

"That depends. Are you asking me as someone who enjoys watching movies or...something else?"

"I do like watching movies," he admitted, the smile glued to his face.

"But that's all, right?"

"Sure. If that's all you want it to be."

"Well, that's...that's all it really could be...right?"

The way she said it made it as much of a question as a statement, and AJ was wondering if there was any chance she might possibly consider it more than two people who enjoy movies watching one together.

"I...I'm not sure," he said rather quietly. "Maybe we could watch the original movie then see if there's a...sequel...somewhere."

Elise understood the subtle context of what he was saying. Yes, there was an actual sequel called National Treasure: Book of Secrets, but it was obvious he was referring to something more between the two of them.

"I...I don't have either of them. Here. At the house," she told him.

"No worries. I have them both. I bring maybe a hundred DVDs with me and rarely watch one, but I do have them."

When she didn't reply, AJ said, "I uh, I could bring the first one over and watch it with you."

"As friends, right?" she asked again, her voice not very convincing.

"Sure. As friends," he replied. "Okay. Um...how about Tuesday? We have a night game tomorrow and another one on Wednesday, but Tuesday works for me."

"Um...okay," Elise said very quietly. "That sounds nice."

"Yes, it does," AJ agreed.

He stood there not sure what else to say so he tried smiling again before saying, "Well, I uh, I should probably be going."

Both of them felt the slow-growing romantic tension building between them, and when AJ mentioned leaving, it drained away almost instantaneously.

"Oh, sure. Yes. Your roommate is probably wondering where you are," she said with a smile.

AJ laughed then told her, "I don't think so. He's probably hoping I died in a fiery crash so he can have the room all to himself."

Even though Elise laughed, AJ felt terrible.

"Elise. I am so sorry! That was just...it was totally insensitive, and I had no right to be so glib about something so..."

"Don't be," she said, cutting him off but not in any rude way. "Yes, I lost my husband, but that doesn't mean you have to walk on eggshells when you're around me, okay?"

He stood there and although he tried not to stare, he couldn't help himself.

"I uh, I...I like being around you," he said very quietly after several seconds of silence.

Elise responded but not to his comment.

"I could make dinner again or you could just come over and watch the movie."

"Oh. I uh, I don't want to put you out."

"I enjoy cooking. I actually liked having Sam here so I had someone to cook for. And as abrasive as he can be at times, it was really nice having someone here to talk to even though it was all baseball, all the time," she said with a smile.

"Yeah, it's kind of been his whole life, huh?" AJ said.

"Right. And who knows? Maybe that'll change now," Elise said in a way that sounded like she wished it would.

"It gets in your blood or something, you know?"

"I've never experienced it first-hand, but I've watched my big brother devote his whole life to it, so I think I understand."

"Maybe your brother is realizing there are things more important than baseball."

"I want Sam to be happy, but one thing I do know first-hand is what it's like to want a baby so bad you can taste it. So if he's ready to be a father, I can't think of anything that would make Laura happier."

When AJ didn't speak, Elise realized he was staring at her. It made her feel strange, but yet it wasn't strange in a bad way.

"AJ?" she said quietly hoping to 'break the spell' he seemed to be under.

"Oh. What's that?" he said.

Elise smiled then told him, "Nothing. Just rambling."

"And I said I was going a few minutes ago, and all I've done is take up more of your time."

She wasn't sure whether she was just being polite, or if there was something more to it, but she found herself saying rather sweetly, "I don't mind at all."

Not sure what exactly that meant, AJ left well enough alone and nodded toward the front door.

"I guess I'll see you on Tuesday then."

"Yes. I'll be looking forward to it," she told him, the smile still there. "And not to badger you, but should I plan on making dinner?"

"Oh. Right. Um, I mean if you really don't mind...sure."

"I don't mind," she told him just as sweetly as before.

"All right. Well, I'll uh, I'll see you then," he said as he turned toward the door.

Elise walked him out and thanked him again for staying.

"Are you kidding? You made this amazing meal and you're thanking me?" he said in a playful way. "I'm the one who's thankful."

"All right," she said. "You take care. And good luck tomorrow."

"You do the same, and thank you," he told her before stepping off the porch.

She waited until he got to his car then waved. AJ waved back so she turned to go inside when he called her name.

"Yes?"

"I...I was wondering. If you're not busy tomorrow evening, would you maybe want to come watch the game?"

Elise wasn't much of a sports fan, and that went especially for baseball. But she'd had such a nice time that she told him she'd at least think about it.

"Okay. Maybe I'll see you there."

"Maybe," she said before smiling one more time then going inside.

They had a team meeting two hours before the game, and AJ Reddy was the only person in the room who understood why the team's manager was in such a good mood.

After going over the lineup and the starting pitcher, Sam Beckett said he wanted to take a minute and thank everyone for all their hard work over the entire season so far. He spent a couple of minutes pointing out some of the highlights of the year and actually complimented several players as he recounted those moments of glory.

After he left, AJ's roommate said, "Da fuck?" as he sat there shaking his head.

"What?" AJ replied.

"Beckett. It's like the pod people done came, you know, and snatched his nasty ass and replaced it with a clone. You know, a clone that's all nice and shit."

AJ laughed then said, "Just be thankful, okay? I mean, that's better than being torn a new one, right?"

His roommate chuckled then said, "Yeah. You got that right!" before getting ready to start pre-game batting practice.

The game started at 7:30, and AJ found himself looking around every few minutes hoping to see a raven-haired beauty somewhere near the home team's dugout. But by the time the National Anthem finished, and the home plate umpire hollered, "Play ball!" Elise was nowhere to be found.

By the bottom of the fourth inning, he'd given up looking. He was the number six hitter in the lineup, and after flying out during his first at bat, he was up again with a 2-2 count. The pitcher had fed him three breaking balls in a row, and AJ was banking on heat.

He tapped his cleats, took a practice swing then got ready. The pitcher wound up and as he delivered, a female voice hollered out, "Come on, AJ!"

Normally, he tuned the small-to-modest crowds out. But something told him that was her voice, and as he cocked his body for the fastball he knew was coming, the pitcher threw a huge-breaking curveball. The distraction was enough to cause him to be ahead of the pitch, and when he saw the spin telling him it was a curve, all he could do was chop at it.

"Strike three!" the umpire hollered.

"You need to trade that axe in for a bat, bro" the opposing team's catcher told him.

As he got close to the dugout, he saw her. Right above it. Standing there smiling at him.

"I did that, didn't I?" she kind of yelled down at him as she winced.

He smiled back, handed the bat to the bat boy, then said, "Totally worth it."

Elise smiled but said, "Sorry!"

He set his helmet down then looked up at her.

"I'm really glad you came," he told her.

"I wasn't going to, but you know how I feel about sitting home alone."

"Um...I think that was kind of positive," he told her.

Elise laughed then said, "It didn't come out right, but yes, it was supposed to be positive."

Sam had been talking with one of the players and only then realized the voice he was hearing but not really hearing was his sister's.

He stood up then looked up behind him and saw her.

"Whoa! My little sister is at a ball game? Seriously?"

"Yes. She is. And it's not that big a deal," she told him.

Sam glanced over and noticed AJ was standing up and then it hit him.

"Oh. Hold on here. Did you..." he said to Elise before turning to AJ, "come here to see one of my players?"

"Maybe," she said rather coyly.

"Uh-huh. Okay. Now I get it."

"No! It's not like that," she told him before looking at AJ whose arms were now crossed.

"Gee, thanks!" AJ told her.

"I uh, I think I'm just gonna sit down and watch the game now," Elise told them both as she smiled at each of them in turn.

Sam walked over to AJ while still looking at his sister then asked, "What happened Sunday? After we left."

"Nothing," AJ quickly said.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. Uh-huh. And my sister, who hates baseball, suddenly shows up at a game because...nothing happened. Have I got that about right?"

"Well, I did ask her about that movie she mentioned no one had heard of."

"And?"

"And, well, I kind of stayed and watched it with her."

"Ah! Suddenly it all makes sense," the manager said as he continued staring at his sister.

The entire team was now looking because they'd never once seen Sam Beckett lose focus during a game. Ever. And yet he was standing there with a player, looking up into the crowd, just shootin' the shit like there wasn't a game.

"No, really. It's not like that. We really did just watch the movie. A very lame movie."

"AJ?" Beckett began, calling Reddy by his 'name' for the first time ever. "You need to understand something about my sister. She' not impressed by money or flashy clothes or fast cars. But if you're nice to her, if you really take the time to show her you're interested in the things she's interested in—that impresses her."

"I know you're talking about me!" Elise called out. She couldn't hear a word they were saying, but their body language and constant looks her way told her they were.

"You and I need to talk, little sis," Sam told her, a smile on his face.

With that, he went back inside the dugout where every eye was on him until he looked at one of his players. His, and then every other eye simultaneously looked away.

"What the hell's goin' on here?" he bellowed.

"That's what we all be askin'," AJ's roommate said loudly enough to be heard.

There was a loud-but-brief chuckle that ended with another stare.

"Okay. Let's go! Back out on the field," Beckett hollered when the batter after AJ struck out, too.

He grabbed his glove then started jogging toward the outfield. He couldn't resist looking over his shoulder, and when he did, Elise raised her right hand a little and waved while smiling at him.

AJ was still halfway turned around and tipped his hat. When he did, something happened that hadn't ever happened before. He completely forgot about the third base bag and caught the edge of it with a cleat. He didn't go down, but he stumbled clumsily before recovering, and then when it hit him that he didn't even care, he laughed loudly.

The left fielder trotted over to him and asked if he was okay.

"Yeah. I am. In fact, I think I'm...great."

He got a puzzled look from his teammate, but once he knew AJ was okay, he jogged out to his position leaving AJ standing in center smiling happily.

The rest of the game flew by for him as he felt like he was living in some sort of dreamy haze. He knew he was playing baseball, but for the first time since he ever set foot on a sandlot field, he didn't really care about the game. He singled in the 8th inning and scored a run, but all that mattered to him was seeing one particular fan smile at him when he trotted to the dugout after crossing home plate.

He'd stopped smiling by the time he got out of the shower, but only because Sam had torn them a collective new one after losing the game 3-2. Even the ass chewing seemed less threatening to him, and when he walked out of the locker room, the smile was back.

"Hey! I'm a little surprised to see you here," he told Elise, who was standing outside waiting for him.

"You can't possibly be as surprised as me," she replied, a smile on her face.

"So...you're not a minor-league groupie who does this all the time?" AJ teased.

"Hardly. In fact, other than waiting for Sam a few times over the years, I've never done this."

"Then I'm honored," AJ told her.

He tried to make it sound playful, but because it was heartfelt, it came across that way loud and clear.

When Elise didn't respond, AJ asked her a question.

"To what do I owe this great pleasure?"

"I...I'm not really sure," she told him. "Maybe I enjoyed your company more than I thought."

AJ was standing right in front of her, and the way she said it, coupled with the way she was looking at him, told him she had feelings for him. He had no idea what that meant, but he knew there was a connection of some kind.

"Whatever the reason might be, I'm really glad you're here," he told her sincerely.

When Elise spoke, it was obvious she was nervous.

"I...I was wondering if you might like to maybe go...I don't know...somewhere..."

AJ smiled and said, "Yes. If it's with you, the answer is 'yes'."

"Oh. Okay," Elise said as the nervousness faded. "I sat there through the whole game trying to decide where to ask you to go, and then when I went to do the asking, I had no idea what to say."

"That's okay," AJ told her. "After I noticed you were here tonight, I was trying to work up the nerve to ask you to go somewhere with me. I mean, the next time I saw you."

Elise laughed a nervous laugh then said, "You just had no idea it would be right after the game, huh?"

"No," AJ said. "But I'm really glad it was."

"Yeah. Me, too," she told him. "I...I haven't asked a guy out since the Sadie Hawkins dance in the 8th grade. Even so, I didn't expect to be so nervous."

"Oh, so...did you just ask me out?" AJ asked as though it was some big surprise.

"Um...I was hoping to, but I didn't quite get to the 'where' part."

AJ inched closer, smiled, then said a little more quietly, "That's not the important part."

"Are you hungry?" Elise asked, unable to hold his stare and hoping to get to the 'where'.

"Always. Are you?"

"Yes. Honestly? I was so nervous I couldn't eat."

"Seriously?"

"Yes, seriously!" she said feigning being indignant.

"May I ask why?"

"I...I guess I was afraid you'd say 'no' and that you'd do so because I'm, you know..."

"So beautiful?" he suggested.

Elise laughed another nervous laugh that was filled with relief.

"Thank you, AJ, but you know why."

"If you mean the age difference, I could tease you about it, but the truth is I felt pretty sure you'd shoot me down were I to ask you out for that very reason, so, yes, I understand."