Price No Object Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Him?" I said acerbically. "The party never stops around here. Matthew Willis is how old?"

"He's 32 years old, sir." said Mary.

"That's young, but not unheard of, especially with his bloodline." Claire asked.

"And that's the problem... his bloodline." I replied. Then I explained: "Mitt Willis was the President of BigAgraFoods, and shot dead the CEO. We got the CEO's secret video of the shooting, thanks to a murdered whistleblower's computer. I arrested Mitt Willis at the company's annual convention, and as we were perp-walking him out the building, a (air quotes) 'disgruntled' former employee shot Mitt Willis dead." (Author's note: 'Swamp Frogs', Ch. 02.)

"More like a 'deranged' former employee." said Mary.

"True, that." I replied. "Anyhoo, Matthew Willis is Mittens's son. Matthew was a member of the infamous Tau Fraternity, was President of it at the time of a woman's death, which was almost ten years ago now. They later murdered another woman and an innocent Good Samaritan, and I took great pride in busting Edward Blassingame's son for that crime and putting his ass on Death Row." (Author's note: 'Unresolved'.)

I finished up: "Soooo, it's interesting that Matthew Willis's name is showing up here. And the timing of his appointment to CEO of BigCommo is interesting, wouldn't you say?"

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

The door opened to reveal Lt. Jerome Davis. "Sir, Richard Davalos's outside attorney has arrived. I put them in I-2, and they're conferring now."

"Good. Thanks." I said. "Who is it?"

Jerome said "It's Nathan Masterson, sir."

"Ah, shit." I muttered under my breath... well, maybe pretty loudly under my breath. "No, I take that back. It's a good thing it's Masterson; it tells me a lot about a good many thinnnngs."

I gave instructions: "I don't want anyone else interrogating Davalos without me being present. Y'all don't know what to ask him, nor how. I do. Is that clear, Captain? Lieutenant Davis?" They both nodded.

"Okay, if I'm busy when Masterson demands I go in there and talk to him, tell him I'll be t here when I'm good and ready, and you should say that verbatim. If you prefer to be more polite, tell him we'll put his client in a holding cell and he can go, and we'll call him when we're ready------"

*BUZZ!* *BUZZ!* *BUZZ!*

It was the Duty Desk, informing me that Alicia Tate and her lawyer wanted to 'confer' with me.

"All right, here we go." I said as I hung up the phone...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:45pm, Tuesday, January 5th. Senior Detective Joanne Warner and I went into I-1. I decided to pre-empt any shenanigans by 'B-1 Bob' Berry. As I came up to the table, I said "I will save you and myself some immensely valuable time, Mrs. Tate, by telling you that if your lawyer even mentions the word 'immunity', I will walk out of here and you will not see me again until your trial."

"You haven't even heard------" started Berry, but he was stopped from speaking further... by Alicia Tate herself.

"I told you what I want to do." Alicia said to Berry angrily. "Now shut up and quit digging the hole that you are burying me in."

"If you won't listen to good advice," said Berry, gathering his things, "then perhaps you should get different representation."

"I'm paying you to be here!" Alicia said strongly, and angrily. "And if you want to get paid and not have me complain about you to the State Bar, you'll sit there and do your job!"

I have to admit that I 'spiked the football' by giving Berry a look that conveyed my sentiment of 'Oooweee!'.

Alicia turned to me and said "I'll trust your integrity, Commander Troy, to reduce the charges against me if I cooperate. And I'll answer your questions to the extent I'm able. Before you ask, I'll begin by saying that I had nothing to do with Julie and Dwayne's deaths."

"Okay." I said. "Where were you yesterday? The whole day."

Alicia: "I went to the Hospital at 7:00am that morning, having picked up a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich from the Town Diner's takeout window on the way. And as you know, I did not go home but to University Hotel late that night."

"We'll circle back to that later." I said. "How well did you know the Mathesons?"

Alicia said "As I told Detective Warner at the Hospital, I talked with Julie some at the fence between our properties, but we weren't close, and we didn't socialize with them."

I said "How did you meet Jeff Cawthorne?"

Alicia: "Julie introduced us. Jeff was at her house that weekend, and they came out on their back porch and saw me doing some gardening. Julie called out to me to come over for some lemonade, so I did and was introduced to Jeff."

"When did you and Jeff begin having sex?" I asked.

"About three weeks after Julie introduced us." Alicia said. "He saw me getting the mail and said hello. I invited him inside, and twenty minutes later he was fucking me in my husband's bed. I love my husband, but he is lousy in bed, and Jeff is handsome and was really good in bed."

"How long did that go on?" I asked.

Alicia said: "We hooked up pretty frequently after that, until late this past summer, when the business they started got busy and Jeff broke it off because he was engaged and planning to get married."

"Does your husband know you and Jeff were having sex?" I asked.

"I don't know for sure, but I think he knew, and just didn't say anything." Alicia said.

"So to confirm... you never told him about your affair with Jeff, and he never asked if you were having sex with Jeff?" I said.

"No, I never said anything, and my husband never asked me." Alicia said.

"Did you know that Julie and Jeff were having sex?" Joanne asked.

"Not at that time." Alicia said. "Jeff told me later. He told me about the Matheson's open marriage, which he called a 'Stag and Vixen' relationship, and he, Jeff, was Julie's Bull. He also told me that he was banging Julie when Dwayne wasn't at home, and Dwayne either didn't know about it or wasn't saying anything if Julie told him about it."

"Let's circle back to your husband." I said. "You don't know where those monthly payments are from?"

"No." said Alicia. "I knew they were there, and it appeared they were from his work, so I didn't ask him about it."

"If I may, sir." Joanne said. I nodded, and Joanne said "Mrs. Tate, I have to say that I'm skeptical of that. It's a joint account and you just said you knew the deposits were there, so I can't understand why you wouldn't ask what they were about... unless you already knew, and you said you didn't know. So which is it?"

That got Alicia's hackles up. "Detective Warner," she said, "I don't know what your relationship with your husband is like, but I trust mine."

"I trust my husband, too." said Joanne. "But if I saw regular deposits like that, I'd ask him about them, just to know. And he might tell me they're deposits from his Patreon for Hospital Administrators, and I'd accept that. But I wouldn't just let it sit, not knowing."

Alicia exhaled, then said, frustration in her voice, "I don't know what you want from me. What I told you is the truth. I didn't ask him."

I said "Mrs. Tate, you need to understand that we're already skeptical of the veracity of your statements, and that's because of this." I took a still photo from the folder on the table, taken from the video of both Tates checking in at University Hotel, and slid it across the table for her to see.

"So, Mrs. Tate," I continued, "this is your one and only chance to come correct with us, on that and everything else. Now if you're thinking that if you tell the truth now we'll jump on it and say it proves your lying, you should know that I'm not like that and I don't play those crap games like dirty lawyers do. I'm not going to go after you like that, and I just said it into that camera that is recording us." I pointed up at the camera that was recording us.

Alicia said "Look, I'm not lying. I didn't ask about the money. You're probably going to go find him and ask him about it, so you can ask him if I ever asked about it, and he'll tell you I didn't."

I pointed at the photo. "So why deceive us about that?"

"She didn't lie about that." snarled Berry. "She never specifically said that he was in Midtown that entire night."

"You're right, Mrs. Tate." I said. "This poor excuse for an attorney is going to bury you in the hole he's digging. I'm willing to let a Jury determine if you lied to us."

Alicia said "I've already told him to keep his mouth shut, but he's not listening. Anyway, semantics aside, I was just trying to protect my husband. He works for the State Government, and the Police bearing down on him is just the kind of trouble he doesn't need."

"Why would he get in trouble?" asked Joanne, her eyes boring into Alicia.

"He was supposed to be in Midtown overnight." said Alicia. "The State is paying for hotel rooms, even for employees that live in and near Midtown, and they want them used and their people there. My husband snuck back up here, and he drove back early in the morning."

"But why?" Joanne asked, nearing exasperation. "Why did he drive two hours to get up here, only to have to drive back, what, five hours later?"

"To be with me." Alicia said. "My neighbors's deaths rattled me, and my husband came up to make sure I was okay. "

Joanne said "And I also don't understand why you didn't just go home instead of checking into University Hotel. Even with the free breakfast, spending a hundred bucks when you didn't need to just doesn't make sense!"

Alicia said "Like I said before, it was close and it was easy to do. And with a murder, maybe two, in my own neighborhood, I felt safer checking into the hotel."

Joanne: "But you just said your husband came up to make sure you were okay. And for that matter, how did he know you were going to the Hotel instead of going home?"

"Stop badgering my client." Berry said in a low and threatening voice.

"Badgering?" Joanne fired at him. "You think this is badgering? Really?"

Alicia turned to Berry and said "Why don't you just go. You're not following my instructions, and you're getting me in more trouble than I would be in without you."

"I think I should stay." said Berry. "These cops are trying to entrap you, and Troy's word is of no value. He'll throw you under the bus the first chance he gets-----"

"GO!" yelled Alicia. "And don't even think of sending me a bill. I'm not paying you a dime, and if you try to collect from me I'll sue you as well as make a formal malpractice complaint to the State Bar."

"We'll see about that." snarled Berry. He got his things and got up and left the room.

"Do you want to call new representation?" I asked.

"No, not right now." said Alicia. "And to answer your Detective's question: I didn't know my husband was coming up until late last night when he called me and said he'd heard about the Mathesons and was on his way up. I told him to pick me up at the Hospital, and we went from there to the Hotel."

Joanne was about to say more, but I touched her on the arm, then I said: "Mrs. Tate, let's just... stop the games. You're making word salad now, and twisting the truth into a pretzel, and I think I know why."

I said: "You didn't go home last night because you knew the Police were at the Matheson home and watching over it, and that you would be observed arriving home. And you were trying to avoid being questioned by the Police, at least until you could talk to your husband, who you originally believed was staying overnight in Midtown. Ergo, you checked into the Hotel. And with your husband having come up, he naturally went with you."

"That sure didn't work." Alicia said. "Here we are."

"Don't you get snippy with us!" Joanne practically exploded. "Keep giving me attitude like that, and I'll throw you under the jail!"

I touched Joanne on the arm again, and she wisely stopped her tirade. I bored in on Alicia as I said "Look, Mrs. Tate... now that the piece o'crap lawyer is gone, I can tell you that I indeed was considering reducing or even dropping the charges... but it is getting harder and harder for me to consider it. There is only one reason for you to avoid the Police, especially about a serious matter like a murder investigation: there is something you don't want us to find out."

I continued: "We've put out an APB for your husband. We are going to arrest him, and we are going interrogate him. Even if you aren't curious enough to ask about these deposits in his account, I sure am, and I am going to ask about them. I am going to ask why he came back up to Town last night------"

"You don't have probable cause for that!" Alicia exclaimed.

"Don't we?" I asked. "Your husband's next door neighbors are dead of suspicious, non-natural causes. The two dead bodies alone are sufficient probable cause, but I have a lot more. You see, his wife has been found by Police to be on video a having an extramarital sexual relationship with those neighbors's business partner. And his wife has been charged with lying to Police, and definitely has not been cooperative nor forthcoming with the Police------"

"I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THOSE GOD DAMN DEPOSITS!" Alicia yelled, breaking down. "WHY WON'T YOU FUCKING BELIEVE ME? I DON'T KNOW!" she yelled between choked sobs.

"If you want us to believe you, you need to tell us the truth." Joanne said.

"I AM TELLING YOU THE TRUTH!" Alicia screamed. "I am cooperating with you! I'm trying to answer your questions, but you refuse to believe anything I'm telling you!"

"You're right, I don't believe you." Joanne said. "You're not------"

Geez! she's horrible at interrogations, I thought to myself as this time I grabbed Joanne's wrist. My gray eyes bore hard into Joanne's blue peepers as I said "Why don't you watch from the anteroom?"

Joanne looked stunned as she said "Sir?"

"Go! Just go. I'll finish this." I ordered. Totally in shock, and a little bit pissed off, Joanne got up and exited I-1 into the anteroom. I watched Alicia Tate, who had fallen back in her chair, her head down until her chin was on her neck and upper chest.

"For what it's worth," I said quietly, "I do believe a lot of what you're saying, most of it, in fact. But you're holding back. The problem is that you're holding back."

Alicia said "You know, I don't even have to answer questions about my husband. Spousal privilege. But I'm trying to cooperate. I'm trying to help you."

I said "I know. But spousal privilege doesn't apply to the joint bank account... it's yours, too. And at this point, Alicia, it doesn't matter. I'm going to ask the D.A. to reduce the charge against you to a misdemeanor, like I always intended to... after we find and arrest your husband, and thoroughly... thoroughly... interrogate him."

Alicia's answer stunned me. She looked up and dried up her tears, then said "Will you let me talk to him, and arrange for him to turn himself in? To you, and no one else?"

"Yes, but there are some strict conditions." I said. "I have to be with you in the room, and listening to your call. You can talk to him about arranging to come in, but you cannot speak of the issues nor what we've asked you nor what you've said to us, so far..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The phone rang and a male voice said "Hello?"

"Alvin, this is Alicia." said Alicia to her husband.

"Hi, honey. Are you okay?" Alvin asked.

"I'm under arrest." said Alicia. "I need you to turn yourself in to either the Town & County Police or the Midtown Police. The TCPD has put out an APB on you."

"Yes, I know." said Alvin.

"How?" said Alicia.

"I'm at Midtown Police Headquarters now." said Alvin.

I suppressed a laugh, then said into the speaker-phone we were on: "This is Commander Don Troy of the TCPD. Who is there with you, Mr. Tate?"

"Hi Commander! This is Detective Nell Bell." said Nell Bell.

"Hi Nell!" I said happily. "Good to hear your voice again. I need y'all to get Mr. Tate up here as fast as you can... and keep him alive along the way..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went to MCD, but Joanne Warner was not there. "Captain Michaels called Joanne to her (Captain Michael's) office, sir." I was told.

I went to Captain Claire Michaels office, knocked, then went right on in. "Sir?" said Captain Michaels, rising out of her chair to her feet.

"Where's Warner?" I asked.

"I sent her on home, sir." said Claire. "With respect, sir, she was upset about being kicked out of the interrogation, and she wasn't going to get anything done while she was upset."

"It's just as well." I said, halfway to myself. Then I bored in and said "Tomorrow morning, you, Lieutenant Davis, Detective Warner and I will have a meeting about why I made her leave, and about interrogations in general. Let Warner know when you see her again, and make sure I have no problem finding her when I'm ready to have that meeting."

"Yes sir." Claire said to my back as I exited the office...

Part 9 - The Big Leagues

6:20pm, Tuesday, January 5th. I went into I-2 with Detective Teddy Parker. Waiting at the table were Richard Davalos and his attorney, Nathan Masterson of Gresham & Mason, P.C. Masterson was short, his dark brown hair combed sideways over the top of his head, parted over the right temple. And the look of arrogance on his face was matched only by his attitude.

Earlier, when we did not jump at his beck and call, Masterson left, telling the Uniformed Officer outside the room to put Davalos in a holding cell while he, Masterson, went to dinner. That was just as well, as it was dinner time for those being held at Headquarters. When I had the Duty Desk call Masterson back, he took his time getting to the Station. But he was here now...

"Well, if it ain't the Town & County's Finest... Bar Code." said Masterson as I went into the room.

"And if it ain't the State's most racist Jew Hater." I replied as sat down opposite Davalos, and Teddy sat to my left.

"You don't look like a Jew." Davalos said, his face showing surprise.

"And exactly what are Jews supposed to look like, Mr. Davalos?" I asked him. Davalos just shrugged.

I re-read Davalos his considerable rights from the card. Masterson wasted no time launching into the attack: "What are you charging my client with?"

I addressed Davalos, as if Masterson was not even there: "You're being charged with felony criminal battery, for openers. Mr. Matheson has also filed assault and battery charges against you, and we have your attack upon him on video. He's going to sue you in civil court, as well, but that's the least of your problems. You're looking at prison time, Davalos, not to mention the loss of your law license and the destruction of your career as a lobbyist for the big companies... like BigCommunicationsCorp."

"I'll have the charges dropped and my client back home before you can finish singing 'Hatikva'." snarled Masterson. "My client is a well-known and upstanding member of his community, has never been convicted of a crime, and is being railroaded by the dirtiest cop in this State, that being you, Troy. Furthermore, his grief over his daughter's death is a strong mitigating circumstance for his actions."

"We need to get this attorney a package of straws to clutch." I said to Teddy Parker.

"It is pathetic, sir." Parker agreed.

I said "Yes, speaking of your standing, Mr. Davalos... that's what I want to discuss with you. And you'll cooperate if you want any chance of mitigating the charges against you and the sentence you're going to receive."

"Cooperate over what?" Masterson asked. "My client has nothing to say about these assault charges that, again, will be dropped like a hot potatoe (sic on purpose) before we're even through the arraignment."