Reunion Fever Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't need exact details," I said, "but how will that deal affect his company?"

Jenny said "Our company; we're in it together. I handle most of the paperwork and stuff, while Craig does the engineering and the processes. And Craig says to not talk about the deal until it's completed, because of industrial espionage."

"A wise precaution." I said. "You applied for patents, didn't you?"

"No, we didn't." Jenny said. "Craig is really paranoid about stuff like that. He was afraid one of the big companies with a lot of money and connections would bribe the Patent Office for the information on the patent, and steal the processes."

I said "If memory serves me correctly, Alexander Graham Bell did that, and stole some of the telephone patent from Elisha Gray. So it's not paranoia if someone is really out to get your husband, or his process. But I doubt anyone would try to kill him or you over that."

Jenny: "I have to say, Mister Crowbar, I don't think it was business-related. It seemed either random, or personal. I think you were nearby last night when we saw Lori Lovlin. It's the first time I've seen her since Graduation, and she looked like she hates us as much now as she did then. But I don't want to make accusations, and the Police did tell us that they've traced her movements last night and are pretty sure neither she nor that manager of hers had anything to do with it."

I wanted to chuckle at the mention of Lori's movements last night, which were very much in sync with mine and in a sexual way, but all I said was "Well, it most likely was a prank. But to be on the safe side, y'all stay together and around others as much as you can. By the way, where are your children? Two daughters, my mother told me?"

"Yes, and they're the joy of our lives." Jenny said, her face lighting up considerably at the mention of her children. "They're staying with my parents, who are going to spoil them rotten and then give them back to us." We all chuckled at the joke... more like the truthful adage.

Just then, we saw Lisa Baker come into the ballroom. Her red hair was hanging loosely down her back, and she was wearing a peach dress that was old but becoming on her willowy body. What shocked us was that it was clear that Lisa's left eye was badly bruised under the heavy application of makeup she was wearing.

She was with two other women, who appeared to be classmates of hers; they had nametags with their photos on them. They appeared to be acting protectively of Lisa. Those woman also had husbands, who looked at me and Laura most very skeptically as we came up to them.

"Hello everyone." I said. "I'm Don Troy, and this is my wife, Dr. Laura Fredricson. You're Lisa Baker?"

"Yes." Lisa said quietly.

Laura said "Can I have a moment of your time, Lisa?" as she deftly put herself between Lisa and the others, and drew Lisa away from them. I spoke with the others, but beyond mouthing politenesses, they didn't talk to me, and they were looking all around the room as well as keeping an eye on Lisa.

"Y'all looking for something, or someone?" I asked, allowing my command presence to creep into my voice.

One of the husbands figured it out, and said "You're the Iron Crowbar, aren't you?"

"My reputation precedes me, I perceive." I said. "And you are?"

"I think we have things under control, sir." said the husband, not introducing himself. His voice was polite, but he clearly wanted me to keep out of their business. "But if Lisa's husband shows up here, please keep an eye on him. We are... concerned about him."

"Did he give his wife that black eye?" I asked directly, peering at him.

"We don't know, sir." said one of the women. "Lisa says he didn't, that she ran into a door. But if he comes in, please do watch him."

"I will." I said. "You might also talk to Captain Wisocky, who is Chief of the Apple Grove Police---"

Just then, Lisa came back to her friends, and they all hastily got out of my presence, and went to their table. As Laura and I headed to the bar for refills, she said to me: "I told Lisa I was a medical doctor and that if she needed any medical attention to find me. She gave the standard excuse before I even asked... she was going into the bathroom, her name was called, and when she turned back around she ran right into the end of the door."

"Uh huh." I said. "By the way, are you licensed to practice medicine in this State?" I'd meant it humorously, but my wife's answer shocked me.

"Yes." she said, almost coldly. "I'm licensed to practice in ten States, including our home State, this State, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, California, and Arizona. I got licensed here just in case something happened to you while we were in Apple Grove, and for a while I thought that might be needed. But you did Iron Crowbar things to Spaulding and his filth, and so the crisis was averted." (Author's note: 'Along Came A Spider', Ch. 02.)

"I did not know that... that you'd gotten licensed here." I said.

"It never came up." Laura said. "And that's one reason I fought Woolsey and BigBenefitInsurance so hard, so my licenses in the other States wouldn't be revoked." (Author's note: 'Beethoven Virus', Ch. 02; Climate Injustice', Ch. 01-02.)

At the bar, I noticed that Roddy Baker was nowhere around, and had apparently left the room. "Yes," Laura said, observing me, "Roddy bolted for the exit door just as soon as Lisa and her group went to their table. What did you make of their friends?"

"Same thing you did, I suspect." I said. "They look and act more like professional bodyguards than concerned classmates."

"Not much gets past you, Darling." Laura replied with a twinkle in her eyes. "So how is the bourbon?" I'd gotten a bourbon instead of another Scotch.

"It's Wild Turkey, which is good," I said, "but it's either watered down or it's the 81-proof instead of the 101-proof..."

"Sheriff Griswold would be scandalized." Laura said. "Or does he have competition for the next World Whiskey Tasting Championships?"

"Not from me, he doesn't." I said...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The formal dinner was starting at 8:00pm, and as the time drew near Laura and I made our way to our seats. Steve Spruance and his wife Becky were at our table, as were some others from my Class, including Renée and her date for the evening. Introductions and re-introductions were made, and we all exchanged stories of what we'd been doing for the last 20 years. I began talking to Steve about his father and the hunting trips I'd been invited to go on with them...

Everyone went through the buffet line for dinner, which took an hour. At 9:00pm, Lori Lovlin got up and went to the lectern. She welcomed everyone, then turned it over to my Class's president. The first thing he did was to ask everyone who had served in the military to stand up. I stood up, along with a several others in my Class and the 30-year Class. There were fewer in the 10-year and the 40+ Classes, probably due to the politics of their times (Vietnam Counterculture and War On Terror weariness).

We were vigorously applauded, and then a slide show started, showing many of the attendees. First their yearbook photos would be shown, then much more current photos, including those of the families whose pics were on the posterboards. For some, there were other photos, such as awards received, new businesses started.

And yes, to my chagrin, the last photos shown started with my yearbook photo, then the family photo of me and Laura with Carole, Jim, and Tasha. Fortunately it didn't stay up long, but it was followed by a photo of me and Carole holding up our Certificates awarded by the AGPD (Author's note: 'Return to Apple Grove'.), which everyone 'ooh'ed and 'ahh'ed over.

Then a photo of me speaking at the Dam and Lake dedication ceremonies appeared, and the slideshow stopped there, holding that photo in place. Applause had started up, and then Lori Lovlin got up and said "Would you please join me in recognizing Commander Donald Troy?" The applause got louder, then everyone began getting out of their seats, giving me a standing ovation.

After a few seconds, I stood up and acknowledged it, then was going to sit back down to end it. But Laura wouldn't let me, and everyone kept applauding. I finally looked up towards Lori with a 'stop this, please' look, and she spoke into the microphone, which did stop the applause as everyone sat down.

Lori said "Commander Troy is usually generous about posing for selfies, but please let him dance with his lovely wife after we finish remembering the decades." She called up her Class's VP to go through another slideshow with audio accompaniment, with the No. 1 songs of ten, twenty, thirty, and forty years before, as well as news events of the times...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:50pm, Saturday, October 2nd. The evening was beginning to wind down. Laura and I had been dancing on the open floor behind the tables. Craig and Jenny Reynolds also had been dancing every dance together, looking lovingly into each other's eyes the whole time.

Laura whispered to me: "If he's not totally in love with her, then he's the greatest actor of all time."

"I agree." I said. "And she's a pretty smart lady, too. They're almost as well matched as... you and me. But I have the best looking wife here."

"Awww, you silver-tongued smoothie, you." Laura said as she rested her head on my shoulder in affection.

Lori Lovlin had danced a few dances with Niko, and also indulged a few of the older men at the event who probably wished they could still get it up for a woman like her. She also went around talking to groups of people. I had seen her talking to Lisa Baker and her friends, but I did not see any of them at the moment.

Roddy Baker had not been seen all evening since talking to Craig Reynolds and going to the bar before the dinner began. I wondered if Captain Leanne Wisocky had arrested him and dragged him off to AGPD Headquarters.

I saw Niko take his cellphone out of his pocket and answer it, then head to the door to the outside area as he talked on it. A moment later, Lori Lovlin came up to Craig and Jenny, and handed Craig a note, then walked away from them, going towards the main doors, turning in the direction of the restrooms, which was the other way from from the corridor to the pool.

Craig read the note, said something to Jenny, then headed for the door to the outside through which Niko had just exited. Jenny moseyed over towards the bar, then left through the front doors, turning in the direction of the restrooms, as well.

Then Leanne Wisocky and Sergeant Stegall appeared in my vision as they came up to me. "Sorry to interrupt, folks." Leanne said. "Have either of you seen Roddy or Lisa Baker? I just got word that he had left earlier, but showed back up a few minutes ago."

I said "He was here, but I haven't seen him for hours." Laura nodded vigorously in agreement.

"I don't see Lisa, either." I said as I expertly scanned the room. "She was with two couples, who were acting like her bodyguards. I don't see any of them, either."

"And Lori Lovlin?" Leanne asked. "I don't see her right now, either."

Laura said "She was up front a moment ago, talking to the other Class Officers. Then she handed Craig Reynolds a note, and walked out the main doors. Maybe she went to powder her nose, too."

"Uh oh." Leanne said. "I'd better head to the restroom, then. I saw Jenny Reynolds going there---"

"HELP! HELP!"

The cry had come from an older man attending his 40th Reunion. He'd just come in the door from the pool area.

You can always tell who the first responders are. I took off for that door, followed by Sergeant Stegall and Laura. Captain Wisocky had been going out the door to the lobby, but turned and came running behind us. Almost everyone else in the room stayed frozen in place.

The older man held the door for me as I ran through it. I heard splashing in the pool and ran there. "HELP!" I heard a man call out as he held up another man, and I saw a crimson cloud of blood in the pool.

"HELP ME!" cried the first man as he tried desperately to get the other man to the edge of the pool. I saw that he was Niko Nimzovich as I got there, bent down at the knees, and bodily pulled the other man out. He was a fairly big man, and his wet clothes added weight. My back screamed, but the adrenaline rush allowed me to lift the man up with a mighty heave. Niko helped, then someone else came up and helped me get the unconscious man out.

"MEDIC!" I yelled as I saw the 'Rambo' knife that had been stabbed into the man's groin, right under his balls. And then I saw his face. He was Craig Reynolds...

To be continued.