Satyr Play 02 Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Marisa nodded with a little frown. "I don't trust him, and I certainly question his motives. It worked out this time, but staying away from the Fae is always a safe route."

"Agreed," Henry said with an emphatic nod. He began taking ingredients out of the fridge and cabinets.

Marisa looked at him curiously. "What are you up to?"

"I'm going to bake some cookies."

Marisa grinned and clapped her hands in delight. She sat at the counter and watched Henry puttering around, making precise measurements of the ingredients, following the recipe to the letter. Once the trays went into the oven and he set the timer, Henry cleaned the mess he'd made.

"Is there a way to do this that avoids this?" he asked with a frown, gesturing to the untidy counters.

Marisa grinned at him. "Practice."

He smiled and nodded as he washed and dried the bowls.

Once the kitchen was clean again, they moved to the living room and sat together on the couch. Henry's cell rang, and he saw it was Sandy.

"Hi, Sandy!"

"Oh good! You're awake! How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I feel good!" he said, smiling at Marisa.

"Are you up for a visit? Tish and Dayshia will be here a little after noon, and they're bringing an assortment of wraps and salads for lunch."

"That sounds lovely!" he said and looked to Marisa. "Marisa is here too. Will there be enough food?"

"Of course!" Sandy gushed, thrilled to hear the blonde was still there.

Henry grinned, hearing Sandy's excitement, and nodded to Marisa. "So, we'll see you then?"

"Yes! See you then!" Sandy said happily and hung up.

Henry smiled at Marisa. "We have lunch plans."

Chapter 28

Ikehorn dozed lightly in the anteroom of the Queen's chambers. When he'd arrived the night before, eager to make his report, he'd waited as the Queen was indisposed.

He knew that the final preparations of her most powerful and secretive spell to date were taking a severe toll on the monarch. While she hid it well, Ikehorn had served her for centuries and knew her tells.

Plus, she was burning through her personal staff like tissues. Mistakes earned harsh punishments, though none of the women had been killed... yet.

He heard a soft clearing of a throat and opened his eyes. It was a young female Fae with pale white skin, raven hair, and a slim, petite body. She was a true beauty, but she stood in profile, eyes downcast.

"The Queen will see you now," she said quietly.

Ikehorn heard the edge of pain in her voice and noticed she was keeping the left side of her face turned from him. He stood and approached her. She froze, and a lovely blue eye darted to him nervously.

"Look at me," he said firmly.

Trembling, she turned her face slowly towards him, and he saw the damage. Three deep and raw scratches crossed her cheek, from her ear to just above her red lips. The wounds already showed signs of decay, hinting at the curse Mab had embedded in her flesh. The scarring would be permanent and would undoubtedly spread. It pained him to see how it already horribly marred the symmetry of her beautiful features.

Impulsively, he reached a hand to hover over her injury. The girl sucked in a frightened gasp as she thought he might punish her too. The Queen's man wasn't known for his patience and sympathy. She swayed slightly, dizzy from the pain, and touched his hand to her cheek.

The green flash surprised them both, and the girl swooned. He caught her before her legs gave out and gently sat her on a nearby couch. His eyes locked onto her face, and she saw his shocked expression. Frightened, she lifted a hand to touch the ripped flesh, only to encounter smooth skin. Fingertips shook as she traced the path where seconds before had only been ruin. She couldn't take her eyes off the man who'd healed her and saw a dawning awareness appearing in his eyes.

Ikehorn seized the girl's shoulders in a painfully tight grip as his eyes held hers. "You will speak to no one about what just happened. You will leave now. You will return to Ireland and go to my estate. Is this understood?"

"But the Queen—"

"I will explain your absence. Go now!" he growled and released her.

She caught his hand and held it against her healed cheek as her grateful eyes looked up at him.

His heart moved in his chest in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable way as he gently tugged his hand free and stood back. "Quickly now," he mumbled, looking away.

He heard her stand and rush to the door. He couldn't stop himself from glancing in her direction and caught her looking back at him from the doorway with the slightest of smiles on her perfect lips and a gleam in her eyes. Then she was gone.

Ikehorn scowled as he struggled to get his treacherous thoughts under control. He took slow, deep breaths and straightened his jacket.

So the Satyr had left him with another gift. His aptitude with magic had been rudimentary compared to the others, and he'd never had enough skill to heal with it. Closing his eyes, he looked deeply into his core but couldn't detect the source of his link to the healing magic. He felt no different, aside from his renewed vigor and youth, of course, and the complete absence of the disease. He still hated the Satyr for his refusal to serve their rightful Queen, but his ire was becoming strained by these alterations.

Giving himself a shake, he stepped into the main room and saw Mab sitting by the window gazing out over the city.

The building they were in was unique in that it was two separate buildings in one. The initial twenty stories was a classic iron-framed structure found throughout New York City. The five-story structure built atop that, contained no cold iron in its construction. The elevator that serviced the top five stories skipped the floors of the mundane building entirely, jumping from the extra basement level to the first story of the crowning building.

A misdirection spell drew attention away from Mab's home away from home, and only an array of sixty-foot rooftop antennae appeared in photos. The roof of the twenty-story tower was lush with greenery surrounding the small castle sitting atop it. The landscaping, too, was only visible when standing on the roof's surface.

Mab's chambers were on the top floor with a stunning view. A view she was currently appreciating.

She turned her head slightly at his approach. "Ah, Ikehorn. I understand you've brought me news?" She looked beyond him, and her expression darkened. "Where is that foolish girl Lilliette?"

Ikehorn gave her a crisp bow he knew the Queen preferred. "My Queen, I've sent her away."

"What?!?" Enraged eyes locked on him, and a tremor ran down his spine. Her control was not as strong as it once was.

He bowed again. "Apologies, but I could see the girl was becoming a distraction from your work. We all serve you, but only the best must surround you now to ensure your focus is not... burdened by these trivialities."

He held still and prepared himself for death. When it didn't come, he allowed himself a slow exhale as the Queen slowly nodded.

"Yes, of course. You are quite correct. I should have a wiser and more skilled maid. Your house manager, Bronagh, is most precise and correct in her duties and would be perfect for this role."

Ikehorn froze as the woman in question was the most senior and trusted member of his staff. The strict old woman practically raised him. She had value in his life. He might be condemning her to death, but he could not refuse his Queen.

He wasn't blind to the fact that this was also a lesson for him about overstepping his bounds. His moment of sentiment had a terrible cost.

"Of course, my Queen. I will call for her immediately. She will feel most honored for this opportunity to serve you directly."

Mab nodded, pleased once more. "Speak to me of what led you to my chamber so early in the morning?"

So the Queen had been aware of his waiting. Fine. "As you directed, I followed the Satyr who went out for an evening of entertainment with his Human companions, the same ones who have been under observation for their behavior patterns. What I witnessed confirms your suspicions. He is deeply and emotionally attached to the creatures."

Mab smiled, but it brought her face no warmth. "Tell me of them."

Ikehorn nodded. "There are three females. All young, though perhaps a little older than the Satyr. There's a fair-skinned blond female who lives in the building. Her name is Sandy." He thought there might be something off about this one, but he couldn't put his finger on it.

"The second is an ebony-skinned female named Dayshia with a more generous figure. Perhaps almost exaggeratedly so." He glanced at the Queen in embarrassment.

"The third one is fair-skinned, tall, and slim with long ebony hair. Tiss? Tess? I couldn't quite make out her name. During their dining period, I witnessed the Satyr's... I'd almost want to call it love if that term wasn't offensive when linked to Humans."

He caught Mab smiling at him and looked at her curiously. "What? Did I miss something?"

"You've never had a pet, have you," Mab remarked, watching his face.

He shifted uncomfortably. "I had a spider once."

She tilted her head in interest. "Really? How did you feel about your spider?"

He blinked at the question. "I... didn't feel anything about it. It was a spider."

"Then your choice of pet gave you no perspective for understanding Henry's affection for his companions." She shook her head. "It doesn't matter, though, as you've brought me the most excellent news. It concerned me that we might have to use one of his friends from his work. That would have greatly reduced Henry's desperation for our assistance as they have solutions available to them. Now, these pets of Henry's will be our avenue to getting his willful participation in the spell."

She paused to take a few shallow breaths as pain shot through her body. Ikehorn caught the slight tightening of her skin at the corner of her eyes. She turned them to him again.

"It must be this week. Select one of these companions and bring an unfortunate accident or circumstance upon them. It must fall short of death but cause a significant and potentially life-threatening injury that will require the Fae's assistance to heal. Be precise."

Ikehorn looked to Mab in confusion. "Human flesh is largely unaffected by Fae healing magic," he said.

"There are ancient words of power that surpass the resistance of even the most mundane flesh. If Henry doesn't seek us out for the medical intervention, we will have to offer it. We must be prepared to be in the neighborhood. Then we can enter into the negotiation for the fee and complete the spell."

Ikehorn nodded. He understood this part of the plan, at least. He knew a couple of discreet and highly skilled wet-work operatives he could call upon to assist. He didn't personally take on this kind of work.

"I will arrange for it to happen as soon as possible."

"Do not fail me!" she insisted.

Ikehorn bowed deeply, and he felt the Queen's pleasure radiating from her. Another sign of her diminishing control.

He left quickly and headed to his room one floor down. He penned a note for Bronagh to immediately come to the assistance of the Queen, transferring her to the monarch's staff. He included a few lines about how grand an honor it was and how sorry he was to see her leave his service, but he knew this was a demotion in position, at least, with an uncertain future. He felt the slightest twinge of guilt about that.

On the other hand, based on the brutal lessons Bronagh tested him with as a child, he was doing what he needed to do. He sealed the letter with a little spell to ensure only Bronagh could open it. He summoned a courier, and the message was off. Bronagh would be at the Queen's beck and call within hours.

Now, to arrange another painful misfortune.

Chapter 29

Henry knocked on Sandy's door a little before the time Sandy was due to head upstairs.

He smiled at Marisa and Michelle, a last-minute inclusion to their party.

Thirty minutes earlier, there'd been a knock on his door, and he'd answered it to see Johann Bruger standing there.

"My apologies, but you will need to leave your unit for roughly three hours. We need to fumigate the floor as the clean-up crew works on unit nine-oh-nine," the short man said with a smile. "You may return... no earlier than four."

"Do I need to do anything with my unit?" Henry asked.

Johann shook his head. "No. Ensure all persons and animals are removed from your unit when you leave, and do not return before four. You don't have any pets, do you?"

Henry smiled and shook his head. "Are the other floors going to be affected?"

"No, just this one."

"Okay, thanks!" he said, and the man walked back to the elevators.

Before he closed the door, he watched some workers enter unit nine-oh-nine. They were kitted out in full hazmat suits, so he wondered what had gone on in that unit. Henry spotted Michelle stepping out of her condo. She wobbled a little, looking a little dazed. Then he realized she worked nights, so she'd usually be sleeping now. "Michelle, are you okay?"

She turned to look at him, and he could tell she was still in a state of semi-consciousness. She nodded.

"Do you have somewhere to go until four?" he asked.

She blinked at him and shook her head.

"We're going to have lunch with some friends on the fourth floor. You're welcome to join us," he suggested.

She shook her head nervously and bit her lip.

"Oh, well, if you change your mind. We'll be at unit four-oh-four," Henry said.

With a nod, he ducked back into his condo to let Marisa know they had a change of venue. He called Sandy to let her know they needed to do this at her place, and she welcomed them to come down.

When Henry opened his door again, Michelle stood outside with a lost look. She also still looked very sleepy.

"Changed your mind?" he asked.

She looked at him timidly. "I'm not good around strangers."

"Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet," Henry said with a smile.

"Henry! That was so corny. Even for you," Marisa moaned with a smirk as she stood just behind him. Michelle smiled at them.

He just shrugged with a smile and looked to Michelle, who finally nodded.

So, here they were, standing before Sandy's door. When it opened, the petite blonde's happy face smiled up at him and Marisa, then looked curiously at Michelle, who seemed to be hiding behind Henry.

"I hope you don't mind, but I brought along my neighbor, Michelle. She works nights, so the order to leave our floor was a bit of a rude awakening.

"Oh my! If you'd like, I can change the sheets, and you can sleep in my bed until you can return to your condo," Sandy offered.

"I don't want to put you to any trouble," Michelle said quietly in surprise.

Sandy gave her a bright smile. "It's no trouble at all. Please come in. Just give me a second to set it up for you. Have a seat in the living room. Henry, I'll leave you to make the introductions."

They entered the main room where Tish and Dayshia stood to meet them.

"Michelle, these are my good friends Dayshia and Tish. This is my neighbor, Michelle." They shook hands. "She works nights, so Sandy has graciously offered her a place to sleep until it's clear to go back to our floor. You've met Marisa."

"This is the Marisa?" Tish asked with a wide grin.

The woman in question raised an eyebrow at Henry, and he blinked in surprise. "Uh, sorry, I thought you'd met Tish."

"I've met Dayshia before, but not Tish," Marisa said, shaking the woman's hand. "Yes, I'm the Marisa." Tish's eyes were showing her mischievous glee.

Marisa and Michelle took seats on the couch on either side of Henry and Dayshia, and Tish took the loveseat. Michelle shyly smiled as she leaned a little against Henry's side. He could tell she was still hovering on the edge of sleep.

"How were you feeling this morning, Henry?" Tish asked, drawing his attention from Michelle.

"Good! I mean, I was sick last night, but I felt better by the morning," he clarified.

"I'm so sorry Roger spiked your drink," Dayshia said. Tish nodded as Dayshia looked closer at Henry's face. "You still have some bruising on your cheekbone where I saw you take a punch."

"Who pulled you from the fight and brought you home?" Tish asked.

"Hey! No asking the interesting questions until I'm present," Sandy said as she walked out of the bedroom. "Sorry, it took longer than expec... ted," she paused as she saw Michelle was asleep, resting her head against Henry's shoulder. He smiled back at her in embarrassment. Sandy just shook her head with a grin.

Marisa stood, and Henry carefully moved to scoop Michelle up in his arms. She was surprisingly heavy, but he guessed her true shape would likely mean additional mass? His mind shied away from the physics or magic involved.

He managed to lift her, and she settled her head against his chest with a smile on her red lips. He smiled at the others, who were looking back at him with odd smiles of their own.

Sandy guided Henry back to the bedroom, where she pulled back the sheets for him. He gently eased the woman down on the bed, and she sighed in her sleep. Tucking the covers over her, he stepped back and followed Sandy out. She closed the door and grinned up at him. "Play your cards right, and one day, you may get to carry me in your arms to bed," she whispered cheekily.

Henry was caught by surprise by her confession, so he nodded with a slight blush. They joined the others.

"I was just telling them how you bumped into a security consultant from VRL at the club last night and how he recognized you and got you home," Marisa offered when they got back, and Henry nodded to her gratefully. What she'd come up with was a much better story than anything he'd invent.

He looked at Sandy. "Where is Roger?"

She scowled. "He's in our bad books right now. What he did to you last night was so far beyond okay. He's got to start acknowledging how out of control he's becoming. We'll have an intervention with him at work on Monday, and if he doesn't agree to reign in his chaotic behavior and seek help for whatever is causing it, we're going to limit our interaction with him. He's putting us all at risk, and that's not okay."

Henry couldn't argue with them about that. While he liked Roger, getting him drunk wasn't cool. Shit happened last night because of it. A Colonel and some soldiers would be alive today if Henry had been sober. On the flip side, the Glass People would likely be dead. He was feeling off about the entire ordeal.

Seeing his frown, Tish moved to the couch next to him and took his hand. "I'm so sorry we didn't keep a closer eye on him."

Her hand felt so good in his. Their fingers were the same length, so it was a full-contact kind of hold. He looked up and gave her a shy nod.

"Anyone else hungry?" Tish said, holding his eye, and he caught the double entendre. He nodded as Dayshia rolled her eyes and stood to help Sandy bring over the trays of wraps and individual-sized salad bowls.

Henry looked at Marisa in disappointment. "I forgot to bring the cookies!" She returned his sad look.

"You baked cookies?" Dayshia asked in surprise.

He nodded with a crooked smile. "Yeah, I'm working on my kitchen skills. Learning to be independent." He put food on his plate and sat back to begin eating.

As Henry enjoyed a BLT wrap, Sandy caught his attention. "I was getting my mail in the lobby when I saw Yuko heading out this morning with a friend. She looked very sad. I think she might have been crying."

Henry frowned and forced down his last bite. "Really," was all he managed to choke out of his tight throat.

"Sorry," Sandy said, noticing his discomfort.

He shrugged it off with a weak smile. "It's cool. I guess I'm just holding what Yuko did... to Stanley against her."