Silver Lining

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is everything okay?" Brianna asked before he could pose that question to her.

"What's that?" Steve replied, having been caught off guard by her question in spite of having asked to talk to her.

"Are you...going to find someone else to watch Mason?" she asked, her eyebrows raised and her eyes filled with sadness.

"What? No. Heavens no. Not at all," he told her. "No, I just wanted to ask you something. It's personal, so it may not be any of my business, but it's bothered me all weekend, so I have to ask, okay?"

"Okay," the teen girl replied, relieved to know she wasn't being replaced.

"Mason told me you mentioned something about one of your mom's tenants, and the thing that got me concerned was him saying your mom was afraid. Is that accurate?" Steve asked as gently as he could.

"Oh. That."

"Is it serious?"

"I really shouldn't have said anything, Mr. Nash. Sometimes I share things with Mason because I don't have my dad around anymore and he, you know, he doesn't have his mom, so..."

She stopped and began apologizing for even mentioning that, but Steve told her, "That's okay, Brianna. I know you're sensitive to that, and I'm grateful that you are in spite of the reason that it's true. As much as it hurts me to know you don't have a father at home, I sincerely appreciate having someone watching my son who understands what it's like to lose a parent."

He waited for a moment then rephrased the question.

"Is there anything I could do to help? Anything at all?"

He could tell Brianna was uncomfortable discussing this, so it was Steve who quickly apologized and said again that this was none of his business.

But just when he thought the matter was closed, Brianna said, "My mom's a strong woman, you know? She's dealt with a lot of hard things like losing my dad, and...difficult tenants...over the years. But this guy drinks a lot, and he never pays the rent on time, and he..."

Steve could tell Brianna was on the verge of getting emotional as she looked away when she told him, "He threatened my mom last week when she told him she needed the rent money or she'd have to start the eviction process."

Her level of maturity was amazing for a girl her age, but that didn't mean she was immune to hurt or fear, and clearly this was causing some of both.

"I may not be the right person to offer assistance, but I do know quite a few people who could help," he told her, still remembering not to sound pushy or make things worse.

"My mom's called the police a couple of times on him, but he's never done anything bad enough to get arrested. He turns the music down or stops yelling just as they pull up then he pretends to be all nice and sweet when they knock on his door."

"I'm sorry, Brianna. Again, I'm more than willing to try and help out. If your mom wouldn't mind, of course. And I would certainly understand if she did. I just want her, and you, to know I'm willing to do anything I can."

"I guess I could tell her that," Brianna said as she finally looked back up at him.

"Only if you think it's best," Steve told her.

"Mr. Nash?" she said.

"Yes?"

"Thank you," she told him as she blinked away the tears that had welled up in her eyes.

"You're welcome, sweetheart," he said just as Mason called out, "I'm all finished, Dad!"

Brianna finally smiled then said she needed to call her mom.

"Sure. And if you don't mind, I'm gonna go say goodnight to my boy."

"Of course. And goodnight, Mr. Nash."

"Goodnight, Brianna. And please tell your mom..."

He stopped, knowing she'd tell her whatever she felt was appropriate.

"I will," she promised just as her mom picked up.

Brianna looked away then said into her phone, "Mom? Yes, I'm ready. Okay, see you soon. Bye."

Steve nodded then left her near the front door before going to spend a few minutes with Mason. He was about halfway into their story when the doorbell rang.

"Can I get up?" Mason asked.

"No, you need to get to sleep, buddy. I'll take care of it, okay?"

Mason reached up and hugged his father and told him he loved him as the doorbell rang again.

He stood up then walked quickly to the door. When he peeked outside and saw Brianna's mother, he braced himself for a tongue lashing as he opened it up.

"Mrs. Grantham. Hi," he said with a smile.

"I'm sorry to bother you so late, Mr. Nash, but Brianna told me what you said to her, and I just wanted to come in and tell you—in person—how much I appreciate that."

"But?" Steve asked, his eyebrows now raised, as he stepped aside to let her in. He was both relieved and yet still apprehensive about what she might say.

"It's not that I don't want to accept your very kind offer. It's just that I'm not sure what you, or anyone else for that matter, could do. I've contacted my attorney, and the laws on eviction are very clear. Tenants, even really bad tenants, have rights. So all I can do is let this play out and hope no one gets hurt."

"I do apologize for sticking my nose in somewhere it doesn't belong. I just felt so bad when I heard about this...jerk...that I wanted to at least offer."

Mrs. Grantham smiled, and even laughed at his choice of words.

"Oh, he's all of that and more," she told him, her blue eyes bright and sparkling just like her amazing smile.

"I'm also sorry you're having to deal with this. I occasionally get an angry customer, but I don't have to call the police to get them to leave."

Steve smiled, too, then said, "Well, one time I did. But that was a very unusual circumstance."

She laughed again then told him she should go because Brianna was waiting and it was late and a school night.

"You're not bothering me, Mrs. Grantham," he assured her.

"I'm glad, and thank you for offering to help, Mr. Nash," she replied.

There was an awkward moment of silence, and just before she turned to leave, Steve said, "Would you please call me Steve?"

"Oh. Of course. And I'm Kellie," she said, that smile back and just as beautiful.

"You know, it's a little bit strange that our kids spend so much time together while you and I barely even know each other," Steve mused.

"That's true," Kellie replied. "But you work a lot of hours, and I have Brianna and the triplex, so..."

"And your running. I see you out on the road quite often."

"Yes. Right. Running is my solace. I think I'd go crazy without it."

"Mine is swimming. I wish I could go every day, but I get to the pool as often as I can."

Kellie smiled politely then again mentioned Brianna.

"Oh, right. Sorry, I didn't mean to keep you. It just struck me as odd that our kids are like best friends—the age difference aside—and you and I are basically strangers."

He saw her look away momentarily and thought he might have offended her. But then she looked right at him and said, "Well, why don't we all get together sometime and get better acquainted?"

"You know what? I'd really like that," Steve told her without hesitation.

"I understand you usually have the weekends free. Would you and Mason like to join us for dinner this Saturday or Sunday?"

In spite of his recent 'thoughts', Steve hadn't had romantic feelings of any kind for any woman since the day he met Sharon, and while whatever he was feeling couldn't be considered romantic, as he stood there looking at Kellie, her long, silky, blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail, he most definitely felt something.

"That sounds great," he said. "Is Saturday okay?"

"Yes. Saturday. I'll look forward to that...Steve," she told him, still smiling just as pleasantly.

"Same here, Kellie. Oh. Before I forget, what can I bring?"

"Oh, gosh. Nothing, really. Maybe just your appetite?" she said, that amazing smile of hers causing a stir in a place that hadn't stirred in so long he'd nearly forgotten how that felt.

"No wine?" Steve asked with a smile of his own.

"Well, if you like. I rarely drink alcohol, but a nice glass of wine might be very nice."

"Maybe let me know what you'll be making so I can choose red or white?" he asked.

"Yes. Sure. I do have your number so I'll text you."

"All right. Great," Steve replied, unaware that he was suddenly feeling alive again.

"Okay. Well, goodnight then...Steve," she told him.

"Here. Let me get that," he said as he reached for the door to open it for her.

As he did, he said, "Kellie? I'm really glad you came in. I do apologize again for the reason why, but I'm very happy you and I finally talked."

"Yes. Me, too," she replied with another smile. "And please don't apologize, Steve. I'm very grateful for your offer. And before I forget, I'm also extremely thankful for all you do for my daughter."

"Oh, gosh. Brianna's a godsend, so I just wish there was more I could do."

"She thinks the world of you and Mason," Kellie informed him.

"The feelings are mutual, Kellie," he let her know.

She smiled again, looked away then said, "Well, goodnight."

"Yes. Goodnight. And drive safe."

"I will," she said as she stepped outside onto the porch.

Steve saw Brianna looking and waved to her. He knew she was probably worried so he flashed her a big 'thumbs up', and he saw her smile and flash two thumbs up back at him.

Her mom noticed and turned around and smiled one more time.

"Night!" Steve quietly called out.

Kellie waved, mostly using her fingers, and as he went back inside, Steve found himself wide awake and in the best mood he'd been in since Sharon was alive.

It was after midnight and he still wasn't sleepy, so he sat down in his favorite recliner and turned on ESPN and watched a repeat of the recent Masters golf tournament which Tiger Woods won, breaking an 11-year drought since his last victory at a major event.

Around 2am, Steve was finally able to lay down and go to sleep. He knew there'd be a price to pay for staying up so late, but to his great surprise, he was wide awake at 6am and for the first time in years, he woke up feeling hopeful. He had no illusions that Kellie would be anything but a friend, but just 'breaking the ice' like this made him realize how much he wanted—and needed—to meet someone. So although it wouldn't ultimately be her, she was, to mix swimming metaphors, serving as a kind of springboard for getting his toe back in the dating pool waters.

The week flew by as Steve found himself with a renewed sense of energy and purpose. He hadn't even gone on a date, and the truth was he didn't even have one lined up. It was just getting together with a woman too old to date, but that feeling of hopefulness stayed with him the entire time.

And just before he left on Friday, he got a text from Kellie who asked if he'd like chicken or fish. He smiled then replied.

"Definitely chicken. I love fish, but Mason won't touch it unless it's a fish stick and coated in bread."

He hit send then saw, "Chicken it is then!" just seconds later.

"Is chardonnay all right?" he replied.

"Yes. That sounds perfect."

"Oh. What time?"

"Is 7 okay?"

"That sounds perfect," he told her using her own words.

"Great! See you both tomorrow at 7!"

When he got home Brianna seemed particularly happy.

"What's up?" Steve asked.

"I'm just in a really good mood," she told him. "I guess I been have all week."

"Anything special?" he asked before saying, "Let me guess. A boy asked you out."

"No. I don't go out with boys, remember?" she reminded him along with a little tilt of her head.

"Oh, right. Sorry."

"I'm just really happy you and Mason are coming to our house tomorrow."

"Gee, you don't get tired of my son during the week?" he teased.

"No. Never. And the best thing is I haven't seen my mom this happy in a really long time."

"So your mom's happy about having us over?" Steve asked with more than a little surprise.

"Well, yeah. She almost never goes out, and while I know you guys aren't, you know, dating or anything, it just makes me really happy to see my mom smiling and talking about Saturday night."

"Does your mom really not date, either?" Steve asked.

"Not very often. I think she's kind of given up. She doesn't like to talk about it, so I don't ask. But the guys she's gone out with have pretty much been losers. Sorry. That wasn't nice. I should probably say my mom didn't hit it off with any of them."

Steve smiled but didn't laugh. He knew Brianna was trying to be both honest and polite, and that was hard enough for anyone let alone a 15-year old girl.

"I guess that surprises me because she's a very pretty lady."

"Thank you. I think so, too."

Just then, her mom's headlights flashed into the house and Brianna wished him goodnight.

"And you too, little man!" she told Mason who'd been content to stand next to his dad and hold onto his leg.

Once Brianna left, Mason asked, "Dad? Are you gonna marry Brianna's mom?"

He bent down, put his hands on his son's shoulders then told him, "This is just you and me going over to spend some time with them, okay?"

"Oh, okay," Mason said with a look that told his father something wasn't all that okay.

"What is it, buddy? What are you not telling me?"

"It's nothing," the little boy said.

"You sure?"

"Yes. I'm sure. But I'm also sure I want you to read me..."

He held up three fingers before saying, "Three stories!"

"Three? How about two?" his father countered.

"Okay!" came the happy reply.

And just like that everything was once again perfect in Mason's world as his dad scooped him up and carried off to get ready for bed.

After reading two stories and hugging his boy, Steve stood there at the door and wondered how much longer his son would be okay being raised by an absentee father. Time was flying by, and Mason was either at school or with Brianna nearly all the time. And while she was a wonderful girl, Mason needed a mom, and yes, Steve was well aware he needed a wife.

As he headed for his own bedroom, part of a Bible verse he'd heard somewhere along the way came to mind: It is not good that man should be alone.

"No. No, it isn't," he said to himself too tired to do anything but go straight to bed again.

Saturday morning, Steve hit the pool hard then went to the barber to get Mason's hair cut and his trimmed up. By six o'clock, he was getting ready when the phone rang.

"Steve? Hi. It's Kellie," he heard, the stress in her voice audible.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes. I mean, I'm fine. But I'm afraid dinner will have to wait."

"Wow. I'd forgotten how bad rejection feels," he said, trying to sound playful in spite of the sting.

"No. I'm not standing you up. I was really looking forward to this. But the police are here, and..."

"The police? Is everything really okay?" Steve asked again. This time there was urgency in his voice.

"Yes. It's just my tenant. You know, the jerk? The loud, heavy-drinking, non-rent-paying tenant? He's being arrested for assault."

"Geez. Did he hurt anyone?"

"No. I'm fine," she said causing him to nearly panic.

"Hold on. Were you...was it you he assaulted?"

"He just shoved me. That's all," she told him omitting the part about 'into a wall so hard she saw stars'. "I'm fine. Really. And I had a witness this time, so..."

"Wait. Stop. Kellie. This wasn't the first time?"

"Steve? I appreciate your concern, but this is my fi..."

She almost said 'fight' but changed it to 'issue' and hoped he'd understand.

"Do you have to go the police station? Do you need a ride? Do you just need some moral support?"

"You're such a great guy, Steve," she told him sincerely. "But I really need to just stay home and be with my daughter, if that's okay."

"Of course it's okay. Whatever you need. And Kellie? If I can do anything, anything at all, please, please let me know."

"I will, Steve. And thank you so much for understanding."

She hesitated then said, "I'd really like to make this up to you. And Mason."

Without thinking, Steve said, "Then let me take you and Brianna to dinner. Please. It's the least I can do."

"That's so sweet of you to offer, but that seems like a whole lot considering this is something you had nothing to do with," she said as nicely as she could.

"I'm not offering out of guilt or sympathy," he replied just as nicely. "I'd just really like to go out with...I mean, spend some time with you. And Brianna."

There was some hesitation on her part, but after a few seconds she said, "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm positive. Is tomorrow evening too soon?"

"No. I don't think so. And honestly? That actually sounds very nice."

"It's a night before school, and I try and get Mason to bed by 8:30 so is 6 o'clock too early?"

Kellie laughed then told him she normally ate around five herself.

"I only offered 7 o'clock before for your sake. I get so hungry I can't wait and usually eat even before six. Since it's just Brianna and me, I can't see any reason to wait, you know?"

"Yes. Sadly, I do," Steve told her. "It's different when you have...well, you know what I mean."

"Yes. Yes, I do," she said rather quietly. "So...can you give me a hint as to where we'll be going so I can dress appropriately?"

"It won't be fast food," he said with a laugh. "But it won't be a five-star place, either."

Kellie laughed, too, and told him that was fine.

"Kellie? I'm really looking forward to this."

"Me, too, Steve. And I'm so sorry about tonight."

"Don't be. I'm just glad you're okay."

His concern was heartfelt and Kellie could 'feel' it even over the phone. That someone else genuinely cared about her touched her deeply.

"Thank you. And thank you for caring," she said in a way that touched his heart, too.

"So I'll stop by around 5:45 then?"

"We'll be ready," she told him, her cheerful, upbeat voice back.

"Great. See you...both of you...then."

"Bye, Steve."

His previous disappointment was completely gone and had been replaced by a sense of relief for her safety and an even greater feeling of hopefulness. He couldn't pin down exactly what it was he was so hopeful about, but he knew it felt great to have that kind of positive outlook again.

Mason was also extremely disappointed, but his vanished, too, when he learned they'd be going to a restaurant the next day.

"Dad? Can we go to Subway?" Mason asked, his eyes open wide in expectation.

Trying hard not to even smile, his father said, "Oh. Gee. We could, but don't you think we should take Brianna and her mom somewhere a little nicer?"

Mason loved Subway, but after thinking about it, he told his father he agreed.

"Yeah? High five?" his dad suggested as he held up a palm.

Mason slapped it then said, "I love you, Dad!"

For some reason, it caught his father by surprise, and he had to hug his son to ensure he didn't see the tears forming in his eyes.

"I love you, too, buddy," his father told him as he blinked hard and used one hand to dry his eyes the best he could.

He pulled back, smiled, then told Mason, "Okay. Let's go find us something to eat. What do you say?"

"Yeah! Let's go find something to eat!" his son eagerly agreed as he took his dad's hand and followed him to the kitchen.

The guys followed the same routine on Sunday morning then headed home to play some video games before having a light lunch then relaxing until it was time to leave.

The difference between men and women getting ready was never truer when Steve and his son were both ready 10 minutes after getting out of the shower and bathtub respectively. Well, it was 10 for Steve and maybe three or four for Mason.

Things were very different at the Grantham house where the two ladies had started their preparation around 4 o'clock by washing their hair then doing their makeup before painting their nails as they waited to blow-dry their blonde locks after an hour in a towel wrap.

After that came the decision about what to wear. Kellie was going through her closet for the third time when Brianna came in to ask her mother's opinion about three different dresses. Her mom knew how important the decision was to her daughter, so she stopped her own search to help out.