Sketch Artist

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes. Yes, he is," she said quietly as she slowly pulled away and their eyes met again.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" Jude asked when Hannah continued staring at him.

"I...think you just impressed me," she said very quietly.

It took him a few seconds to recall their back and forth about him not making much of an impression on her, but when it came to him, Jude not only didn't laugh, he didn't even smile.

He just returned her stare for a moment then said, "I'm glad, Hannah."

"I can't tell you how grateful I am," she said back, just as quietly.

"All right, all right! You two need a room or something?" the detective said, trying to be funny.

"Sorry. No, we're...we're good. Right?" Jude said to the detective while never taking his eyes off of Hannah Young.

"Yes. We're definitely good," she replied, suddenly aware of her body's reaction to this younger man she felt had somehow just saved her life. Not literally, of course. But she knew it was because of his artistic ability that the police had found their suspect so quickly. And now that he was behind bars, she almost felt safe again.

"May I walk you out?" Jude asked a second time.

"Sorry. I was just thinking about how much better I feel now that this man is where he belongs."

She reached out and touched Jude's arm then said, "Thank you."

"My pleasure," he replied feeling like he really hadn't done anything all that important. He knew this woman had been scared nearly to death, and he also knew she had a daughter, and that helped him realize why finding this criminal was such a relief to her.

"Come on," Jude said, smiling and offering her his arm.

"We'll be in touch, Ms. Young," the detective said. "As soon as we know anything about a court appearance, I'll give you a call. And again—thank you."

Hannah didn't hear a word he said. She had her arm in Jude's, and for now at least, all seemed right with the world. And when, a moment later, he put his arm around her a few seconds later, that felt right, and for the first time since the attempted robbery, she felt truly safe.

Before he said goodbye, Jude let Hannah know how much he was looking forward to seeing her again on Saturday. Although she was no longer in fear of her life or her safety, Hannah was again deeply concerned about the fact she was so much older than Jude. Yes, he was an extremely attractive young man, but still...

He was clearly a very talented artist and an up-and-coming graphic designer. She knew Alicia was crazy about him, and thanks to his artistic talent, this would-be robber was no longer out there able to scare the daylights of of other people like her.

And yet, in spite of all those positives, Hannah couldn't get past the fact that she was 40 years old, so instead of saying, "Yes, me too," to his comment she blurted out, "Jude, I turned 40 several months ago."

She saw his puzzled reaction that indicated he had no idea where that came from, but she was till glad she said it.

"Oh. Okay," he replied with a little shake of his head.

"And?" Hannah asked.

"And what?"

"What do you mean 'and what'?"

Jude smiled then tried to address her concern.

"You told me your age thinking it would make me come to my senses and not want to see you, right?"

Hannah had to think for a moment or two then said, "Well, yes. Why else would I have mentioned something so personal?"

"I knew you weren't my age," he told her with a warm, reassuring smile.

"Which is?" Hannah asked, almost afraid to find out.

"I'm 26."

Jude waited for a second to let that sink in then said, "But no worries. I'll be 27 in two weeks."

He said it with such a straight face it took Hannah a few seconds to realize he was making light of the age difference as though it didn't matter.

"Oh. Ha-ha!" Hannah finally said once the light came on. "Very funny."

"It's true. I am turning 27 very soon."

Fearing he just wasn't getting it, Hannah took a more direct approach.

"That means when you turn 37, I'll be...50."

"Huh. Yeah, I suppose you will," Jude replied as though that was something he couldn't have already thought about. "So what you're saying is, no matter how much older I get, you'll always be the same number of years older than me. Is that right?"

Again, he sounded deadly serious, and Hannah was getting frustrated.

"This is just...a big joke to you, isn't it?"

"No. Not at all," Jude replied as he reached out and, without asking, took her hands in his. "I'm not joking at all when I tell you I find you to be an amazing woman, Hannah. I'm very serious when I say I'm, well, downright smitten with you."

He hesitated then continued.

"I'm also well aware that you're a loving, caring mother with an amazing, smart, funny daughter. And although you might not be willing to admit this, you're also incredibly brave. I mean, you had a gun pointed in your face, and two days later, you went back to work then identified the man who held the gun in your face. So all of our kidding about being impressed aside, I have to say I'm very impressed."

"Thank you," she said sincerely but almost reluctantly as though she were losing an argument she desperately needed to win. "But I'm still 14 years older than you."

Jude tried not to smile when he replied, but it was nearly impossible not to do so.

"It's more like 13 and a half," he told her as seriously as he could before the smile won out.

When he smiled, Hannah felt nearly all of her resistance fading away even though nothing had changed.

"How can you not care about that?" she asked, her voice now much softer and gentle.

"Because it's more like...what race you are. I'd never rule someone out because they were a different race if I found them as amazing as you. So while you may see age as this huge issue, it's irrelevant to me. I'm not saying I'm unaware of it. I mean, I can't not be aware that I'm a little younger than you. If just doesn't bother me."

"A LOT younger," Hannah added, feeling like she'd finally won a point. The feeling didn't last, though, when he smiled at her and finished his thought.

"I've met, well, quite a few women in my...young life...but never anyone I've felt so connected to. Ever. But from the moment I first saw you, that's exactly how I've felt. And each moment we've spent together has made me feel even more of a connection, and I'd like nothing more than to let that bond continue growing."

Hannah was so focused on his words that she hadn't noticed him move even closer, and as he finished the last sentence, he was leaning down to kiss her.

"Jude. What...what are you do..."

She stopped speaking after his lips pressed against hers. Hannah didn't immediately kiss him back, but she didn't pull away, either. As he continued to kiss her, she felt helpless to resist and, to her surprise, she kissed him back.

When Jude slowly pulled away, he smiled at her again then asked, "Was that so awful?"

Hannah's eyes were 'twitching' as they moved from his right eye to his left then back again several times as her brain tried to process what was happening.

"Awful?" she replied, now unaware her body was trembling.

"It was?" Jude asked, somewhat confused.

"What? No. It...it wasn't awful. At all," she managed to say as she continued looking into his eyes; eyes that were mesmerizing or maybe even enchanting. Eyes she couldn't stop staring at even as they stood there just inches apart.

"I thought it was quite possibly the best kiss of my life," Jude told her.

He tried not to laugh when he added, "My very young life."

When a small laugh escaped, Hannah playfully swatted his arm and said, "Stop! That's not funny, Jude!"

He tilted his head then said, "It's kinda funny."

Hannah didn't feel 40 or even 26 when she replied. She felt more like 16.

"It is not!" she said the way a girl in high school would, and although she was aware of that, she really didn't care.

"Is so," Jude said in the same tone she did before pulling her close and putting his arms around her.

"I really, really like you, Hannah Young. Please don't push me away over our difference in age."

Then, even more softly, he said, "Okay?"

As he held her, Hannah momentarily forgot how old he was or wasn't and allowed herself to just enjoy being with someone who clearly liked her and who made her feel safe. And as she slowly pulled away she looked at him again and realized she might just like him, too, a thought that both thrilled her and scared her half to death.

"I know you have concerns about Alicia when it comes to dating. I may be young, but I'm not...stupid," Jude told her, a little smile on his lips. "I can't make those concerns go away with words any more than I can make your concern about our ages disappear. But I can assure you I understand, and the fact that you care so much about your daughter's happiness is just one more thing I like about you—among many things."

"Are you really only 26?" Hannah asked, more out of a feeling he had to be older than that based on his perspective than his chronological age.

"Yes. For another two whole weeks," he replied, his smile growing as he spoke.

Hannah's eyes finally stopped racing, but her heart didn't as she said, "So...Saturday?"

"Yes. I'm looking forward to it."

"I...me...me, too," she told him before standing on her toes and kissing his cheek before turning around to leave.

The confusion she battled the rest of that day was more from having to admit age wasn't any more important than she made it. And making it more or less important was totally up to her. With that realization came yet another question—then why am I making it such a big issue?

Answering that wasn't easy because she had a lifetime of social conditioning telling her people with more than a certain number of years difference didn't date. And in her mind that certain number had never been certain, but she'd kind of always felt like five years or so was about right. But what did the 'or so' mean? Further, where did the 'five years' come from and was that even valid? Why couldn't it be 8-10 or 10-12? Why did the difference in age even have to matter? Why couldn't one look at the rest of the other person in relation to themselves and make a decision based on other factors? Other...more important...factors.

"Mom? How come you keep sighing all the time?" she heard Alicia asking.

"Was I sighing?"

"Yes. A lot."

"I'm sorry, honey. I just have something on my mind. That's all."

"Are you still afraid to go back to work?" Alicia asked. "The robber's in jail, right?"

"Yes. Yes, he is."

"Then what else is bothering you?"

Hannah looked right at her daughter then said, "It's just a grownup thing. It's nothing for you to worry about, okay?"

As if she hadn't had enough confusion and mental consternation, Alicia further surprised by saying, "It's Jude, isn't it?"

Her mother only smiled as she sighed again.

"See! You just did it!" Alicia pointed out.

"I guess it's just that you're the second person today who seems a lot older to me than they actually are."

Alicia didn't understand exactly what her mother meant, but she knew she'd just been complimented and called smart.

"So...I'm ten going on twenty?" her daughter asked.

Hannah laughed more out of a need to release tension, but what her daughter said was also funny.

"Where did you hear that from?"

"One of my teacher's said that."

"Oh. I see. Smart teacher," her mom replied.

"Mom? Do you think I'm mature for my age?"

"Come here and sit down by me, okay?" Hannah asked as she patted the seat next to her.

Alicia gladly took the spot next to her mom and waited to find out what she wanted to ask.

"So...you really like Jude, huh?"

"Is that bad?" Alicia asked.

"What? No. I don't mean it in the sense of liking a boy. I mean it as in do you think he's a nice person? Is he someone you feel good being around?"

"Oh," her daughter said before answering the question.

"Yes, I really like him. Are you asking me because you do, too?"

The hopeful look on her daughter's face went a long way to alleviating the apprehension she had about possible getting involved with someone, and especially with a much-younger man. Hannah knew it was her decision and hers alone, but having her daughter's approval was hugely important as she would never even consider dating someone Alicia didn't like. Doing so seemed selfish in the extreme, and while she wanted to be happy herself, she would never seek to find her own happiness at the expense of her daughter's—no matter how much she might like someone.

"I think I kind of might," her mom admitted as she sort of winced.

Alicia leaned closer and put her arms around her mom.

"I just want you to be happy, Mom."

Hannah put hers around her daughter and thanked her.

"I want you to be happy, too, honey."

"I am happy. I'm happy you're okay, and I'm happy you like Jude."

"So...you'd be okay if he and I, you know..."

"Kissed?" Alicia asked, her cheeks a rosy red as she looked up at her mother and smiled.

"Um...okay," Hannah replied. "I was going to say 'dated' but I suppose kissing is a part of dating, right?"

Alicia giggled then told her mom she was okay with both of those things.

"Hmmm. Maybe you are going on twenty," Hannah said as she gave her daughter a playful hug.

When her daughter laughed a happy kind of laugh, Hannah said, "Just don't grow up too fast, okay?"

Alicia looked up at her mom, gave her a funny look, then said, "I won't. I promise. Well...I'll try my best, okay?"

This time Hannah laughed then got back to being a parent.

"Someone needs to brush her teeth and get ready for bed."

Alicia thought about protesting but didn't want her mom to think she was really just ten years old, so she said, "Okay," without any hint of stalling.

While her daughter was too old to tuck in anymore, Hannah still occasionally sat on the edge of her bed and talked to her, and this was one of those nights.

"I'm very proud of you, Alicia," her mom said.

Alicia beamed with pride as she thanked her mom for saying that.

"And I love you very much, too."

"And I love you, Mom," came the immediate reply.

"So you're really okay with, you know, Jude and me dating?"

"Yes, but it's 'Jude and I'," her daughter said, thinking she'd caught her mom making a grammatical error.

Her mom started to say, "Take out 'Jude' and say the sentence. If it still makes sense saying 'me' then it's correct to say 'Jude and me'." Or she might have asked Alicia to say, "Are you okay with 'I' dating?" as another way to show her the problem but didn't bother, as teaching grammar was the last thing on her mind at the moment.

"Okay, twenty-year old daughter," her mom said before bending down and giving her sweet girl a hug and a kiss.

"Goodnight, Mom. I love you!"

"I love you, too, sweetie," Hannah said as she gently brushed her daughter's hair with her fingers.

"Mom?" Alicia said as her mother stood up to leave.

"Yes?"

"Well, when Jude comes over on Saturday?"

"Uh-huh?"

"It's...it's okay if, you know, if...you guys...kiss."

Alicia's cheeks turned an even darker shade of red, and her mother almost laughed, and yet she didn't because her daughter's concern touched her so deeply it surprised her.

"Ah, okay. Good to know," her mom replied making sure to smile knowing Alicia was letting her know she expected them to kiss. "Now go to sleep!"

"Okay!" Alicia promised as she rolled over and pulled the covers up around her neck.

Jude texted quite a few times, mostly to explain that he was going full speed ahead on his latest design, and to remind Hannah how much he was looking forward to seeing her again. She, in turn, was having trouble thinking about anything else, even at work where she no longer lived in fear.

Except about what to wear on Saturday and what to make for dinner and whether or not Jude would kiss her, and somewhere deep in her heart of hearts, if he might not want to make love to her at some point down the road.

Ironically, it was Alicia who proved to be the calming force in her mother's life on Saturday when Hannah began stressing out about dinner and clothes and makeup and pretty much everything.

"Mom? It's not that big a deal."

"That's easy for you to say, honey," her mom replied as she flipped through things in her closet.

"He really likes you, too, so it won't matter what you wear, right?" Alicia said, causing her mom to stop and look at her daughter.

"Well, I hope that's true, but I still want to look my best."

"So unless you know what he likes, maybe you'll pick the wrong thing, if what you wear is a big deal to him, so just choose something you like and stop worrying."

Hannah sighed loudly then said, "Did you age ten more years the last couple of days?"

Her daughter giggled again then said that she hadn't before offering to help.

"Oh, please. Go right ahead," her mom replied.

"Okay, first we'll find a dress."

Alicia quickly went through them and laid out one that was a dark gray.

"That's pretty," her mom said.

"And now...a blouse and some pants."

After that, Alicia found a very pretty sweater and a skirt then said, "Okay. You'll look beautiful in all of these, so just choose one and quit worrying!"

"What would I do without you?" her mom said as she gave Alicia a hug.

"Worry yourself to death?"

"Yes. You're probably right. And while I'm worrying, what sounds better? Beef or chicken?"

"Chicken!" her daughter said immediately. "If he eats red meat, he won't mind chicken. But if he doesn't, chicken is still good. Unless he's a vegan. Is he?"

"Oh, my word! I don't know," her mom said, now panicking again.

"Chicken, Mom. Chicken will be fine. Trust me!"

Hannah sighed again, smiled, then told her daughter, "Okay. Chicken it is. But baked or fried?"

"Mom!!"

"Okay. Baked. But with our without breading?"

Alicia was laughing hard as she turned around to leave. But she stopped then looked at her mom and asked, "Is this going to happen to me when I start liking boys? Am I gonna get all crazy like you, Mom?"

Hannah finally laughed then said, "No. Well, not until they start liking you back."

Alicia gave her a puzzled look, shook her head, then in typical ten-year old style said, "Whatever!" before leaving, not understanding what her mother meant.

In the end, Hannah combined the white blouse with the dark-blue sweater and chose the black pants over the black skirt then tried her best to quit worrying. A final look in the mirror convinced he she looked pretty good for a woman of 40, and all she could now was hope that Jude agreed.

As the chicken baked in the oven, Hannah prepared the rest of the meal, and did her best to stop fretting about how she looked or whether Jude would like her cooking. She was doing quite well until the doorbell rang when her heart nearly stopped.

"I'll get it!" Alicia hollered as she ran for the door.

Hannah had no idea her daughter had changed into the prettiest dress she had, but she couldn't help smile when she realized she wasn't the only one worried about making a good impression.

She got to the door just behind Alicia and right as she was opening it up.

"Hi, Jude!" she said with a huge smile on her face.

"Hi, and don't you look pretty!" he said as he bent down and smiled at her.

"Thank you," Alicia said, her cheeks already glowing.

Jude stood up then looked at Hannah.

He didn't say anything for a couple of seconds, and Hannah wished she'd also worn a dress. Until Jude spoke.

"Wow. You look amazing."

It clearly wasn't flattery, and it couldn't be due to what she was wearing. It was nice, but it wasn't 'amazing'.

"Thank you," Hannah said sincerely as Alicia closed the door.

He'd been hiding something behind his back, and with another smile her produced flowers in both hands.