Smoke on the Water Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Because he's accused of three felony crimes, one of them a crime of violence." I said as Teresa and I sat down across from them. "And to teach the little snot some manners, and to suggest he learn to respect the Police, because we can and just did cuff him to that table"

"Go fuck yourself, Pig." snarled Walter Walton, though quietly.

"And he can just stay chained to the table." I said in retaliatory response. I took out the card and read Walton his rights. "Do you understand the rights?"

"Drop dead, Pig." Walton snarled again. H.J. Lynch made no move to stop Walton from digging the hole he was in ever deeper.

Teresa said "Every time you say that, it's just more obstruction charges." Only at that point did Lynch lean over and whisper something to Walton.

"With what is my client charged?" Lynch said, more calmly but with a tinge of menace.

"Resisting arrest, assault on a Police Officer, obstructing a Police investigation------" I started

"Before that." said Lynch. "Why did you show up at my client's place of work, harass him, then physically assault him?"

"I did not harass him." I said. "I only asked his name, which no Court in the world will say is harassment, and he immediately asked for the Union Rep. I presented him with an arrest warrant, and that's when the other charges started. And we have it all on video that he assaulted me, and I am eager... excited, even... to take that to the Jury."

"Stop avoiding my question!" Lynch snarled. "Why did you even go to his place of work in the first place?"

"Commander Troy is not the one being interrogated, here!" yelled Teresa.

"Mind your tone with me, little lady." Lynch said. It was the wrong thing to say. I stood up, the edges of my vision tinged red with fury.

"You apologize for that, right now." I thundered. Lynch just waved it off.

"Officer," I said to Buchannan, "take the suspect to the holding cells." Buchannan moved smartly to uncuff Walter Walton, then roughly handcuffed his wrists behind him.

"Clear the anteroom." I said to Teresa. "And make sure the audio and video are turned off."

"Yes sir." said Teresa, turning to leave.

"What are you gonna do?" goaded Lynch. "You gonna assault me like you assault People of Color? Taking up for that little cunt?"

There is only one reason H.J. Lynch did not die within the next two minutes. As Teresa left, the Sheriff seemed to magically appear between me and Lynch. "Don't do it, Crowbar. Not here, and not now. Too many witnesses. You can kill him later, when you can get away with it... if someone else doesn't kill him first. Teresa has many friends, you know. Many friends." I took a deep breath, and acquiesced.

"And you, dirtbag," growled Griswold to Lynch, "get out of my Police Headquarters and never come back. I'm referring you to the State Bar for your sexist comment about my female Police Officer, and Val Jared is still Governor for almost two more months..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ron Ellijay was 23 years old, just graduated from City University with a degree in Political Science, and seemed to have a promising career ahead of him. He was white, his brown hair styled perfectly in place, tall, lanky, and generally handsome. Now he was having his rights read to him. Mr. Coleman was his attorney. Rookie Patrolman Smith was the Uniformed presence. And Shane O'Brady had come into the room with Joan Laurer, for a very particular reason.

After Joan Laurer read him his rights from the card, she said "How long have you been working for Ancestor Discovery?"

"Four months, give or take?" said Ellijay. Joan bored into him.

"Is it 'give', or is it 'take'?" she growled. "When did you start working for them?"

"Wow, touchy touchy." Ron Ellijay said.

"Mr. Ellijay," said Shane O'Brady strongly, "I suggest you take this a lot more seriously. This is a formal interrogation as part of a criminal investigation. When did you start with the company?"

Ellijay named a date. "I'm not an employee, in the regular sense, anyway. Some of us work with Mr. Parker when he does demos of his software."

O'Brady: "So you started when the company was doing demos in Pottsville. And you were an intern for Wilson Hammonds?"

"I was, during the summer." said Ellijay.

"And that's how you met the other three helpers?" asked Joan.

"No, I met them through the College Republicans." said Ellijay. "One of them worked for Jeff Canton, and one of them for Cain Mitchell, so I did see them at the State Capitol a lot."

"How much do you make working for Ancestor Discovery?" asked Joan.

"We don't make a salary with them." said Ellijay. "We... at least me.. I work strictly on commission."

"So the amount you make is commensurate with the number of subscriptions to the software they sell?" Joan asked.

"Yes." said Ellijay.

"How much do you make per sale?" Joan asked.

"Uh, I'm not sure." said Ellijay. "It varies."

"It varies per sale?" Joan asked, pretending shock.

"I guess." said Ellijay.

"So you don't know how much you're making through these guys?" Joan asked, pretending more shock.

"Like I said, it varies." said Ellijay, growing uncomfortable.

Joan said "Well, I sure know how much I make in Police salary. Detective O'Brady, do you know how much you're paid?"

"To the penny." said O'Brady agreeably.

"And yet, Mr. Ellijay," Joan continued, "you treat me like I'm an Agency of the Weak Minded by telling me you don't know how much you are making? Why am I having so much trouble believing that?" Ellijay just shrugged.

Joan pulled out some papers. "We have your financial records, including that silly little LLC you tried to set up. We also have Ancestor Discovery's financial records. Everything... what they brought in, what they paid out... and the problem is, Mr. Ellijay... the numbers simply don't add up."

Joan: "If you were being paid a set amount, or a per-sale amount, the averages at each location should average out to the same number. But they don't. Additionally, there are extra payments here and there, in varying but fairly lucrative amounts, that are from Ancestor Discovery, but don't correspond to any sales. How do you explain that, Mr. Ellijay?"

"He doesn't." said Mr. Coleman. "At least not without further consultation with me. Privately..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

'B-1' Bob Berry hated Police about as much as H.J. Lynch. He and the Sheriff hurled insults at each other for several minutes, but the bottom line was that H.J. Lynch was forbidden Police Headquarters and was being referred for disbarment, and either Berry represent Walter Walton or the Sheriff would call the Court to assign a public defender. Berry took the case, and was sitting with Walton, who was again cuffed to the ring on the table.

Detectives Newman and Coleman were in I-1 with them, and had earbuds on. Your Iron Crowbar had been pulled and sidelined by Our Sheriff. Teresa and I were watching from the Chief's Conference Room with Chief Moynahan. The Chief did not seem angry; indeed, he'd said "If that bastard had called my niece-in-law that, I would've required the Sheriff's intervention to keep me from committing murder, tooooo."

Detective Newman read Walter Walton his rights, and Walton said "Shove it up your ass, nigger." That got a rebuke from Bob Berry.

"Wow, they are going all out to goad us." Teresa said as we watched. "What gives with that?"

"I have my suspicions." I said.

Detective Coleman said "You just keep digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself, Walton. You now have three felony charges against you, and one civil rights charge if we choose to press it. And the sad thing is... we originally came to your office only to follow up on some procedural aspects of the case! But now... you face twenty to thirty years in prison... prison, Walton!...."

"... and the Black inmates are going to hear what you just called me," said George Newman, "and they gonna tear you a new ass. That's not a threat, punk. That's keeping it one hundred."

"Do I have to listen to this nigger?" Walton said to Berry.

"Yes, you do." said Berry. "You don't have to answer, but you do have to listen. And as your counsel, I'm not only advising but telling you to stop calling him the n-word, or you won't have any Counsel much longer..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

With the suspects interrogated, Joan and Teddy took the State Agents to the Cop Bar for lunch. With no Command Group people in it, Pops let them sit in the back 'Command Room' for privacy.

After placing their orders, Teddy Parker said "Ron Ellijay and his three College Republican buddies talked the most, and tripped up the most. We may get one or more of them to turn."

Joan said "I told them all that only one deal is on the table, so they better think about their futures. I'm not sure I'm able to make that offer, though."

"You are... at least I am." said Carter Fischer. "And this is going to end up being multi-jurisdictional all over the State. All the same, I'll call Jenna Stiles and have her on standby to make a deal with whoever comes correct."

"If anyone comes correct." said Terence Johnson. "I'm not trying to play Debbie Downer, here, but we've got a ways to go to make cases, here."

"And time to do it." Joan Laurer said. "At least 72 hours, and if Jenna Stiles or Paulina Patterson can get bail denied due to flight risks, I really believe we can get something to put in front of Jury, if not actually turn someone."

"Who should we try to get to turn? And who should we not offer a deal, no matter what?" asked Teddy Parker.

"Bernie Parker is not getting much of a deal, for damn sure." said Terence Johnson.

"I'd refrain from offering Ron Ellijay anything." said Shane O'Brady. "I'm biased, though. He's connected to Wilson Hammonds."

Joan said "I think... that Mrs. Dalmore may be the key to this case. She's the one I'd turn the screws on. But I'd have to consult with Commander Troy and ADA Patterson to determine what kind of deal to give her..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello, Beth." said Miriam Walters as she walked up to the Public Health Officer and her longtime friend, who was watching the interrogation of Walter Walton in the Main Conference Room. Savannah Fineman had also come into the room.

"Hi Miriam." said Beth Paige. She pointed to the monitor and said "I did everything I could to help Walter. But the goddamned Iron Crowbar was like a goddamned boa constrictor, absolutely relentless. He just would not drop it, like he won't drop his jihad against the honest reporters of the Press."

"Miriam," said Savannah, "just assign me Walter's case, and I'll handle it. I'll drop all charges, and refuse to prosecute."

"That won't save me, though." said Beth Paige. "Sheriff Griswold said if both Walter and I don't come correct about this HAZMAT truck business, then he's going to fire me for cause."

Miriam said "So this is well above the Iron Crowbar now. And if we do what Savannah suggests, and she drops the charges against Walter, the Sheriff will fire you. But you said if Walter talks, the Sheriff won't fire you?"

"He may let me resign." said Beth Paige. "Either way, I'm out, and out of a job."

"Let me go see what I can do." Miriam said. "Savannah, stay here with Beth." Miriam left the Main Conference Room and went next door to the little office the Sheriff used while he was at Police Headquarters. And the Sheriff was 'In'.

"What do you want, Walters?" the Sheriff growled, his voice unfriendly.

"Sheriff," Miriam said as she went in and closed the door behind her, "let's do some old-fashioned horse trading..."

Part 11 - Cutting Deals

2:00pm, Tuesday, November 10th. PHO Beth Paige came into Interrogation-1, where Walter Walton was still handcuffed to the ring on the table, and attorney Bob Berry was seated next to him. It was exceptionally rare that anyone besides a suspect, attorney, and Police Officers interrogating the suspect was allowed into the Interrogation Room, and it had required a direct order by the Town & County Sheriff for Beth Paige to be granted the rare exception.

"Walter," said Beth, "I appreciate you holding fast on this. But it's not worth ten to twenty years of your life in prison. I've worked out a plea deal with the Sheriff. You'll plead guilty to one count of felony reckless endangerment, you'll get probation and no prison time. And in exchange you'll tell tell the cops what happened on that day with the HAZMAT truck assignment."

"I'd rather fight them all the way." Walter said, his voice a nasally whine. "I'd rather make Troy appear in Court and have to answer for his Police brutality. And we have to protect our Media allies. They're the only ones that are fighting that bastard Troy, and we have to help them!"

"Walter," said Beth, "that's not going to happen. I mean, you can take it to Court, and you'll be crushed, and you'll spend 30 years in prison. It's not worth it. You did what you were asked, and it's okay to talk about it. Please... take this chance while you have it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So he finally admitted it." I said as I sat in the Chief's Conference Room with the Chief and Teresa.

"Yezzzz." said the Chief. "Walter Walton admitted that he called the four-man HAZMAT team and also called the Press, and he did that soooo that the Media could film it and make it look more scary than it actually was, and also to blame the Police for endangering the Public."

"Which KXTC did try to do." said Teresa. "And Walter threw Beth Paige under the bus, too."

"She asked him to." I said. "She had given him a standing order to ratchet up the HAZMAT response if he could, and be sure to call the Press about it when he did. And that's what he did. She worked amazingly hard to save his ass, too."

"What's going to happen to Beth Paige?" Teresa asked.

The Chief replied "She gets to resign instead of being fired for cauzzze. Miriam negotiated that for her friend Beth Paige. In exchange, we get to charge Wal-terrrr with a felony and he'll plead guilty and have a record, and Savannah Fineman won't be allowed to just drop the charges against Wal-terrrr."

Teresa and I asked to be excused, and upon being so we went to my office. As we sat down, Teresa said "How do you feel about it, Don? Did the Sheriff give away too much?"

"No." I said. "In fact, he may have gotten the better part of the deal. He told Miriam that there was no way we could excuse the assault on a Police Officer, whether or not it was a rookie Patrolman or the Police Commander, so he got the one felony charge. And Beth Paige is gone, as she should be."

"And this was all to bring the Press in so that they could take shots at us, the Police?" Teresa asked. I nodded, and she said "But why? It does not serve the Public Health Office to falsely scare the hell out of people."

"No darn kidding." I said. "But we got a few glimmers of the truth. It turns out that Beth Paige is very pro-Press, and was particularly embittered at my current and ongoing war with the Press. Her actions are almost 'Della-Harlow-ish' in the way she went about letting her rancid politics dictate the PHO's actions."

"And you saw that." said Teresa. "Which is why you pushed so hard on it."

"And because that snot Walter and that dumbass Beth Paige fought so hard against my checking up on it." I replied. "I suspected something when I got the initial report at the crime scene about the upgraded HAZMAT unit, suspected it more when I learned the Press literally was right behind the HAZMAT vehicle, and it really got my hackles up when they protested too much."

I continued: "And there's one more victory for the Sheriff in all this: if I'm right..."

"And you usually are." Teresa replied as if on cue.

I smiled, then said "If I'm right, we may have shut down not one but two sources of leaks to the Media. And that, my friend, is worth celebrating with a dram of Scotch tonight..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3:00pm, Tuesday, November 10th. SBI-OFI Agent Carter Fischer, SBI-IDE Agent Terence Johnson, and SBI Reservist Shane O'Brady came to Police Headquarters with Detectives Teddy Parker and Joan Laurer. They were given a tour of the Intel Center, then they and my Detectives joined me, Lt. Commander Croyle, Captain Michaels, and her Lieutenants Three in Classroom 'E'. Also present was State Attorney Jenna Stiles.

"Yes, I'm still a State Attorney, at least until January 1st." said Jenna as we gathered. "Then I expect incoming State A.G. Gil Krasney will fire all the State Attorneys and hire his cronies for the positions."

"I understand DDA positions are opening up here in this County." I said. "Might be something you could apply for."

"I've already talked to Miriam Walters." said Jenna. "We'll see what happens. I'll go to work for Paulina any day, but I'm not sure I want anything to do with Savannah Fineman."

We sat down and I opened the meeting; ""Before we begin, keep this under your hats... congratulations to Shane O'Brady on your upcoming promotion... Lieutenant!"

Everyone made 'surprised' sounds, then applauded. O'Brady said "I know nothing gets past you, Commander, but really, how did you know? And I ask because Wilson Hammonds might still try to stop it if he finds out."

"Ohhh, I was asked by your Chief to give input," I said, "and my letter of recommendation glowed like a nuclear power plant. And your Chief let me know you'd been selected."

I continued: "And don't worry about Wilson Hammonds. I get the feeling he's going to be reeeal busy... running away from questions about this 'Ancestry Discovery' case, since one of his aides is hip-deep in it without his knee-high wading boots."

With that, we began discussing the case. The interviews were brought up, and some key features replayed on our monitors.

"Sir," said Joan Laurer, "we were discussing earlier who we might offer deals to, and who we should not. Do you have anything to help us with that?"

"Before I answer," I said, "Mary, has Intel Branch found anything new? Anything that might more solidly connect these rubes to the frauds and identity thefts?"

"Just timing that cannot possibly be coincidental." Mary said. "The timing of the company appearances at schools, then the frauds and identity thefts." She went through the data we had.

"It's good data, and very strong circumstantially." said Jenna Stiles. "But there are a couple of problems. First, proving intent. And second, proving conspiracy. For example, finding a computer that you could prove belongs to one of them that was actually used to commit a fraudulent credit card purchase. And even that doesn't prove they were in it together."

"Just to play Devil's Advocate," said Claire Michaels, "why do we believe it's all of them? I mean, Bernie Parker could've legitimately hired those young people to help, and paid Mrs. Dalmore to get him appearances at the schools."

"True." I said. "But the financial data suggests money coming in to the associates are from the frauds, not just any legitimate product sales. Especially Mrs. Dalmore, who has associations with a man who has absolutely no integrity, none... Edward Blassingame."

"That was a good job, arresting her on the spot." said Jenna Stiles. "But just about all of your data on her came after her arrest. What made you think to arrest her, Detective Laurer?"

"Uh... ah..." Joan stammered.

"A woman's intuition." I replied, bailing Joan out. Jenna Stiles, ever the feminist, looked at me funny.

"That's... a good way of putting it, sir." Joan said, bailing me out.

And neither of us mentioned the seven-year-old 'intuition' that unerringly latched on to Mrs. Dalmore's guilt. Unfortunately, Juries were not ready to accept Carole's vibes as incontrovertible evidence...