The Brass Statuettes Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So you counted yourself out?" Sweeney almost suppressed a grin. He sat back, eying Frank, sipping on his whiskey.

"C'mon, Jim; my chair's not even warm yet. I just got into this job," Frank laughed off the suggestion. Sweeney paused for a second, and then laughed, too—but not as hard as Frank.

"So what would you say would be the most pressing issue for a new President?" Sweeney asked.

"That's not for me to..."

"You hafta' answer," Sweeney interrupted. "What should a new President tackle right away?"

"I would have to say getting control of R&D," Franks answered without hesitating. "I think that Jason is good at getting new formulas out of his scientists. What we need is focus—something to put into the marketplace. Jason doesn't seem to under..." Frank stopped himself before finishing his sentence, but Jim was nodding, so he realized that he hadn't stopped himself fast enough.

"You don't care for Jason much, do you?" Sweeney said.

Frank shrugged. He thought hard before answering. It was true; he didn't think much of Jason. What difference did that make? He refused to pretend. "It's not a question of liking him, or not," Frank answered. "We're at too high a level for that kind of stuff. I just wish Jason could play better on the team."

"Not a 'team player', eh?" Sweeney repeated back to Frank. "I thought you'd be a little more original that that, Frank."

"Original or not, it's what I think. Look, I know that Jason is very smart. It's just that his smarts are limited to chemistry. Here, he needs science and business," Frank explained, "and maybe to be a regular guy once in a while."

"When it comes to Jason, we've got a problem," Sweeney said. "He made quite a name for himself at the University, so he's in the spotlight. That puts all of us in the spotlight. If we cut him loose—or if he cuts himself loose—anyone that matters will know it right away. It would be a big prestige loss."

"We can't afford that with everything else that's happening around here," Frank completed Sweeney's thought.

"You got it," Jim confirmed. "There are rumors floating around that he's thinking of putting feelers out—to go back to the college life."

"I didn't know that," Frank said, "but I'm not surprised."

"It would be a shame to lose him prematurely," Jim said and then put on his leprechaun expression, "and that cute little Missus of his." "You mean Darlene the Beauty Queen?" Frank laughed.

Sweeney's face took on a confused look. "Beauty Queen?" he asked.

"Yeah, she was in some pageant during her college days," Frank said. "Miss Georgia Peach, or something. I don't remember very well. I wasn't that interested when I heard it."

"Beauty Queen, eh?" Jim said to himself, and then let out a throaty laugh.

"Did I say something funny?" Frank asked.

"No—no," Sweeney said, "just thinking to myself. Anyway, can you help Jason get acclimated to corporate life and take it easier on him in the meantime?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Frank replied. "I'll do what I can."

"Good!" Jim exclaimed. "I've done what I promised," he mumbled under his breath.

"What was that, Jim? I didn't hear what you said."

Oh, nothing, nothing," Jim assured him. He held out his empty glass. "Just a short one, and then I'll be on my way," he said.

Frank got up to get the refill. "Beauty Queen," he heard Jim mumble to himself once more.

*******************

Each afternoon the sun sank earlier in the western sky. Gloria sensed it without checking the clock; another summer going by. Her friends had left for their own homes and whatever awaited them there. She sat alone on the veranda finishing her drink, thinking about things. Juana was nearby tidying up, but had been quiet.

"Well, little Darlene finally did the dirty deed with Jim Sweeney. I wasn't so sure she would, but Brenda seemed to know how to handle it." There was a slight touch of sadness when she considered the first little blemish on the lily. It was to be expected, because flowers always got blemishes when they were out in the sun. It had been necessary, of course; besides, Darlene certainly deserved some fun away from that idiot, Jason. "And, Jim Sweeney can sure be a lot of fun." A distant voice questioned Gloria's part in the deflowering. Sometimes she wondered if people's affairs might be better if she left them alone. Gloria thought again. "How could that be true?"

Oh, well; Darlene seemed more than happy enough when she'd seen her that afternoon, and Gloria had no doubt she'd be better off in the long run.

A short distance away the pool sat, alone and empty. Gloria spent little time there since that aborted party for the secretaries that Trudy ruined. She felt like the pool—once teeming with fun and pleasure, but ending up alone and ignored. She lifted her glass to her lips and tilted her head back. The rest of her drink trickled down her throat.

"José, he say dee roses go to sleep now," Juana informed Gloria from over her shoulder. In the distance, José worked the grounds in the late afternoon. He was pushing a wheelbarrow—in no hurry—gathering up his harvest of pruned canes that he removed earlier in the day. "José, he take off dee bad stems. Ees for dee flo-wairs next year."

"So the rosebushes never die? He just cuts off the bad parts so they can be beautiful again."

"Si, I teenk so," Juana replied.

Gloria sighed. She watched the gardener push the wheelbarrow and gather the dead branches on his inevitable circuit around the grounds. "I wish we could do that," Gloria admitted. "I'd like to cut off the bad parts and be beautiful again." She picked up her glass, but remembered that she had already finished her drink. "It would sure be nice." She sighed again.

She expected a quick answer from Juana, and when she didn't get it she turned around to face her. She saw her maid rubbing her eye, possibly removing a speck of dust from it. "Maybe José would say, eet depends how you teenk about beaut-ee-ful."

Gloria squinted at Juana. She would never understand what this puzzling woman said. "What does that mean, Juana? It's too late in the day for riddles. People aren't like roses. They don't just keep growing. They get older all the time; when beauty goes away, it never comes back. You can't cut old canes off of people like you can roses. We're stuck with whatever we've got."

"Maybe, I teenk 'no'," Juana proclaimed in defiance of her mistress' dictum. "We cut d'em all dee time."

To Gloria it was too much to think about at the moment. The afternoon sun tired her and the late drink had made her mind foggy. "I don't want to deal with this now. I'll explain it to her in the morning, after coffee; after I can think of a good answer," she said to herself.

"Señor Alvin—he ees home soon?" Juana asked, ending Gloria's train of thought.

"Who knows?" Gloria answered. "So much work in the office. No time for me."

"I teenk Señor Alvin ees home soon," Juana repeated. "He meeses you, I teenk."

"Misses me?" Gloria asked. "He just saw me this morning at breakfast. How could he miss me so soon?"

"I mees José an' he ees right over d'are," Juana retorted as she pointed at him. "After I make dee deenare we are together een our casa."

"It's a different way of life," Gloria told herself. "I may never make her understand." She didn't, at that moment, wish to think about it. She rose from her chair. "Juana, I'm going upstairs to take a shower and change my clothes." She walked across the veranda and through the French doors. "Who knows? Maybe Alvin will be home on time tonight."

She turned to tell Juana to let Alvin know where she was if he got home before she came downstairs. She stopped herself before she spoke. "Don't want to give the wrong impression."

****************

When Jim Sweeney got up to leave Frank decided to call it a day, too. "Wait up, Jim. I'll walk out with you."

As they stood at the front door waiting for their cars, Jim looked at him. "By the way, I forgot to ask. How's Trudy?"

"Trudy who?" Frank replied with a laugh. "I hardly get to see her anymore. I think I'm married to my desk."

"Knowing Trudy, I'm sure she understands," Jim said. As he drove home Frank asked himself if Trudy really did understand, and then answered himself. "Yeah, I'm sure she does; a lot of women wouldn't. At least, I'll be home one day this week for dinner."

He walked in the house and set his briefcase in the corner. Trudy was in the kitchen, preparing dinner. "Look what the cat dragged in!" she laughed.

"I thought you'd be glad to see me," Frank protested.

"I am," she assured him as Frank patted her on the rump. "Surprised, too."

"I'm going upstairs to change my clothes," he called to her.

Trudy walked into the bedroom as Frank was hanging up his trousers.

"I know you're busy at the office," Trudy said.

"What else is new?" Frank answered.

"You've probably forgotten. If you can't do it, I'll understand."

"Trudy, what's up? I have no idea what you're taking about."

"Patricia's going to college on Thursday," Trudy said. "It would be nice if you could go with us. It's not just to lug her stuff into her dorm room. It'll be her first time away..."

"Oh no, Trudy; I forgot." Frank stood looking at the floor, shaking his head. He took a deep breath. "I don't know right now how I'm going to manage this."

"Patricia will understand if you can't go," Trudy said. "It would mean a lot to her if you could. I think she's a little nervous about leaving home and she'd like her Daddy with her."

"I know. I'm nervous, too. These things always happen at the worst moment."

"We spent the day packing today," Trudy said. "She didn't say a word. I think she didn't know what to say."

"What about 'what's-his-name?" Frank asked.

"You mean Devon? He left for college yesterday. I think that's one thing that made it hit home to her. She's always had a hard time expressing her feelings, but I can read the tea leaves."

Frank sighed again. "It's going to be hard to get away on Thursday," Frank said again. He paused. "Don't say anything to Patricia. I'll talk to her. She deserves that, at least."

"Do what you can, Frank. I know you're busy. Just do your best. I've got to get back to the kitchen."

An hour later the family was seated around the dinner table. Margaret had wolfed down her dinner and was fidgeting while she waited for the others to catch up to her. Trudy and Frank engaged in small talk about conditioning the swimming pool for the coming fall. Patricia didn't say anything and jabbed at the food on her plate with her fork.

"Your mother told me you spent the whole day packing for school," Frank said to his daughter.

"I guess so," she mumbled.

"Have you got a lot of stuff to take?"

"I dunno—I guess so," she mumbled.

"You must be excited. Do you know who your roommate is?"

Patricia sighed and shrugged.

Well," Frank said, "I'll be looking forward to meeting her on Thursday."

Patricia popped her head up. "Father, I thought you couldn't go. Mother said you were too busy."

"I rearranged a few things," Frank said. "You don't mind if I go with you and your mother, do you?"

"No—I mean yes—I mean, it depends if you want to," she stammered.

"I wouldn't miss it. I know a place about half-way where we can stop and have lunch."

Patricia regained her composure. "Sure, okay," she said. "That is, if you want to."

"That's what I want," Frank confirmed.

Patricia ate a few bites and then put down her fork. She looked at her mother. "Can I save this for later?" she asked. "I want to e-mail my roommate." Trudy nodded and Patricia jumped out of her chair.

Margaret gave her father an expectant look. "You can be excused, too." She disappeared from view.

"What's with these girls?" Frank asked. "They retired from doing the dishes?"

Trudy chuckled. "That's okay. I'll take care of it tonight. Patricia's happy. How'd you manage the quick turnaround?"

"I called Aaron Fishman at home while I was upstairs and you were down here cooking. I asked him to come in at seven today and tomorrow. That'll give us more time to get the forecast going."

"That was nice of him," Trudy said.

"Yeah, he probably doesn't realize that we'll be working late, too. I thought I'd let him figure that out when he saw it getting dark outside."

"You mean, you let the workers have windows?"

We've come a long way since I was his age, Trudy."

"I knew you'd come through for her, Frank."

"We'll have to drive back Thursday night. We won't be able to stay over."

Trudy looked at Frank. Her eyes were glistening. "I never doubted it for a moment.

*****************

TO BE CONTINUED...

12