The Gathering Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Jasper's only acts up with me or with strangers," Red replied. "Watch when the boys come down here."

Red's boys, John and Daniel, came running down to the corral and right up to Jasper. The big horse lowered his head so the two boys could scratch his ears and feed him pieces of apple. "See he's like a big four legged teddy bear with the boys."

William had come to the corral with the other boys but went into the barn where his father was. He came out leading Diablo as Josh led Sunny and Sandy. Josh smiled at the boys and Jasper shaking his head. Diablo's the same way about William and Maggie, Josh thought.

Elizabeth saddled Sandy while Dillon saddled Buck. "Thought you'd ride Balin," Josh said.

"Riding him wouldn't be right. I don't own him yet," Dillon replied. Pointing to Sandy he added, "Don't have that choice with Sandy. Elizabeth wouldn't forgive me if we didn't buy Sandy."

Josh looked at Dillon for a few seconds. "You got a hundred dollars on you Dillon? Dillon was surprised at the question but nodded. Josh asked, "Give it to me will you?"

Dillon dug into his pocket and handed Josh five Double Eagle gold coins. "You just bought yourself two horses Mr. Gallagher," Josh told him.

Before Dillon could object that Balin and Sandy were worth more than that, Josh said, "It's our way, Danni's and mine, of saying thanks for your help. Besides, I know that both of them are going to someone that'll take good care of them."

Danni and Sarah joined the group at the corral. Danni had been holding Maggie's hand but when the youngster saw the horses she broke away. Maggie ran over to Sunny and hugged one of the buckskins front legs. Sunny reached down and nudged the girl with his nose as if to say hello.

Elizabeth laughed at the look on Dillon's face when he saw how Danni and Sarah were dressed. Both women were wearing men's pants. Danni notice his surprise and giggled.

"Going into town we usually wear riding skirts," she told him. When we go to church or if we have company, like last night, we'll wear dresses. But for working around the ranch we wear trousers. Sorry to shock you Dillon."

"In town or when we have company we like to look like females," Sarah added. "But working or riding the range we don't really care if we look like ladies."

Red grinned at his wife and said, "I think if you girls were wrapped in buffalo robes there'd still be no doubt that you're females. And pretty ones too."

"Oh Red," Sarah said as she walked over to him, hugged him and gave him a quick kiss. Turning back to Dillon and Elizabeth she said, "Just when I think there's no hope for him he says something nice."

"We want to ride, we want to ride," the four kids said.

Red mounted and pulled his two boys up on Jasper with him. He put John in front of him and Daniel behind him. Josh put William on Diablo and mounted behind him as Danni did the same with Maggie on Sunny. Sarah, Elizabeth, and Dillon each carried a basket of food for the picnic.

As they topped the crest of a hill Dillon and Elizabeth saw a rock dam running from one hill to another. Behind the wall was a large lake shimmering in the sunlight. Dillon estimated that the lake was at least a mile long and about three hundred feet across at its widest.

Red was smiling at Dillon's reaction to the lake and dam. "This high plateau is good grazing land but water is a little scarce if you wanted to run more than one or two hundred head of cattle up here. The cattle used to just about drink Chico Creek dry in the heat of the summer. So we came up with the idea of this dam."

"It wasn't we, it was Red that thought of this idea," Josh told Dillon interrupting his partner.

"I see a lot of leaks in the dam," Dillon said. "Is Jerry repairing those?"

"Nope, we don't care if the dam leaks," Red answered. "I think it was Josh that said we weren't trying to stop Chico Creek, we just want to borrow its flow for a while."

"Some of the rocks have settled since last year," Josh told Dillon. "Jerry and the men are just filling in some low spots with more rock."

Jerry had seen Red, Josh and the rest ride toward the lake. He also saw the baskets and knew they were going on a picnic. He motioned for his crew to stop work.

"This lake lets us run a lot more stock up on the plateau," Josh explained. "It also lets us irrigate that plain over there to grow silage, hay, and corn for winter feed; there's more than 50 acres we use for that. That extra feed sure cuts down on losing cattle in the dead of winter"

"But the best thing about the lake is it makes a great swimmin hole for the kids during the summer," Red added laughing. "Makes a pretty good fishin hole too." He let out a rebel yell and said, "C'mon kids let's get wet." Red, Josh, and Danni sent their horses at a run toward the lake.

Riding Jasper into the lake up to his belly, Red picked John up and threw him into the water followed quickly by Daniel. As Josh and Diablo got close to the lake, William squirmed down and ran into the water. Danni dismounted, helped Maggie down and waded into the lake with her.

Dillon and Elizabeth had followed the mad rush to the shore line. Elizabeth gasped in surprise when Red threw his sons into the lake. Sarah had followed at a more sedate pace and came up behind them. "Red and Josh had those kids swimming about the same time they learned to walk," she explained. "Never would have thought that a cowboy from the dry plains of Texas would know how to swim."

Red pulled off his boots and tossed them to dry land. He looped his gun belt around the saddle horn and stood up on his saddle. He gave another rebel yell and dove into the water beside his sons. Then the water fight started with the two boys ganging up on their father. Josh wasn't far behind and William jumped on his back trying to dunk him.

Dillon was laughing hard at the "boys" antics. Turning to Elizabeth he said, "See what we have to look forward too?"

Elizabeth looked at him with a gleam in her eye. She shucked her boots, ran to the lake, and dove in. She yelled back at Dillon, "C'mon in, you need a bath anyway."

Dillon dismounted, dropped Buck's reins, and dropped his gun belt. He took off his boots and with a rebel yell of his own ran into the water. He looked up and saw the horses standing at the edge of the lake looking at the crazy humans.

He stood and swept his long wet hair out of his eyes. Dillon noticed movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned and squinting into the sun saw about a dozen riders on the crest of the far hill. Being as natural as he could be, he walked out of the water toward his gun.

Dillon reached down, picked up his gun belt and buckled it to his waist. "Josh, Red, we've got company," he said pointing with his chin at the riders as he pulled his rifle from the saddle scabbard. Both men looked in the direction indicated and they began to slowly come out of the water; they brought the children with them.

"Danni, you and Sarah take the kids over behind that rock outcropping there," Josh ordered. "Take your rifles with you."

Red gathered the horses and walked them over to where the women and children hid behind the rock outcropping. "Hold on them tight," he told Sarah and Danni. "We might need them pretty quick." He had to smile at Elizabeth; she was kneeling behind a big rock dripping water but holding her rifle at the ready. Sarah's not the only one that's feisty, he thought.

Jerry and the two men working with him on the dam had mounted their horses to join the family playing in the lake. Josh gave a shrill whistle; it was a well used signal between them to form a defensive front. Jerry didn't even look back to see what the problem was; he yelled at his men and they spurred their horses into a gallop.

When they got to the family Josh nodded at the riders on the hill. Jerry quickly dismounted and positioned his men near the women. "Any idea who it is?" He asked Josh. Josh just shook his head.

The riders on the hill watched as the people by the lake reacted to their presence. The leader motioned to his companions and slowly rode down the hill. They stopped at the waterway below the dam and let their horses drink. One man came on alone.

Red had eyes like a hawk and quickly realized that the dozen or so riders were Indians. As the lone rider slowly got closer Red turned to Josh and said, "I don't believe it. That's your old friend Running Wolf."

The Indian had gotten close enough that Josh recognized him too. "Wait here," he said mounting Diablo.

"Josh, take your gun belt," Red suggested.

"If Running Wolf wanted to cause us trouble, we'd never seen him on the hill. This is a friendly visit," Josh replied. At least I hope so, he thought. He turned Diablo to ride out and meet the chief of Jicarilla Apache.

Josh rode to about twenty feet and stopped. Running Wolf nodded and dismounted; Josh dismounted too. The chief walked closer to Josh and place one hand on his shoulder; Josh copied the gesture. The Indian dropped his hand and said something in Apache and smiled.

"Young Kelly has grown into a man," Running Wolf said in English. Josh was surprised; the first time he'd met Running Wolf the Apache didn't speak English.

It had been over ten years earlier when Josh and Running Wolf met for the first time. The Apache had been slowed by a several days of heavy rain on their way to their summer camp. They'd used up a lot of their food supply and hadn't had any success at hunting.. Josh had persuaded the wagon master, Hobart, to give the Indian band some cattle to feed the women and children.

The next day in a ceremony showing his respect and admiration for the young man that had helped his band, Running Wolf adopted Josh and Diablo into the Jicarilla Apache tribe. He gave Josh an Apache name which translated into "Friend with big horse".

"I've learned your language," Running Wolf said smiling at Josh's surprise. As he talked he made sign language along with his words. "I see you still have the big horse."

Josh smiled and patted Diablo. "It has been a long time Running Wolf; it's good to see an old friend. But why is your band this far north?"

"The white eyes have broken another treaty and the young men are talking of war. There is a Lakota Sioux called Crazy Horse in your tongue that is saying he's had a vision of a white buffalo. He says it means that we will drive the white eyes away. I think he's been smoking too much of the sacred tobacco and drinking too much of the white man's firewater." Running Wolf snorted showing his displeasure of Crazy Horse.

As they were talking, Red had walked forward to join them. He stopped at Josh's side and said, "Thought you could use some help with the sign language."

Josh turned his head to hide his smile; Red was gonna be surprised.

Red made sign and said, "It's been a long time since we met Running Wolf. Do you remember me from the meeting at the wagon train?"

Running Wolf looked at Red for a few seconds and replied in English, "Yes I remember the color of your scalp."

Josh and Running Wolf laughed at the look on Red's face. "I'll be, you speak English," Red remarked.

The Apache nodded and said, "We are traveling to the north. There are fewer whites there and I want to be as far away from them as I can." Running Wolf stopped for a moment staring off into the distance. "Crazy Horse is wrong. We cannot defeat the white eyes; there are too many, they are like the leaves on the trees."

Josh didn't know what to say to his old friend. He thought for a few seconds. "How did you know I was here?"

"I heard stories of a tall dark haired man that carried a coup stick with many feathers," Running Wolf replied. "It was said he had a man with hair like the sun with him. Our trail led us passed your lodge so I thought I would see if that dark haired man was my brother."

Josh turned back toward the lake and motioned for Danni to join them. Pointing to the children he indicated that she should bring them too. She walked over leading William and Maggie.

"This is my wife Danni and our children William and Maggie," Josh told his friend. "Danni this is Running Wolf, chief of the Jicarilla Apache. He's the one that......."

"Gave you the coup stick, I figured," Danni interrupted. She made hand signs to Running Wolf as she spoke. "It is an honor to meet the chief of the Jicarilla and a pleasure to meet an old friend of my husbands."

Running Wolf smiled and nodded at Danni. "My brother has chosen well; you are a good partner for him. Turning to the children he added, "You've given him a fine son to carry on his name and a daughter as pretty as the first days of spring."

Little William was wide eyed with wonder. He had seen a few Indians in Fountain when they came into town for trade goods, but they were considered "tame" Indians. Many dressed just like the townspeople. This was a real live "wild" Indian. William knew it wasn't polite to stare but he couldn't help himself.

This man was an Apache chief. He wore buckskin leggings with a loin cloth and no shirt. His chest and arms had designs painted on them and his hair was long, with an eagle feather in it. William was fascinated with Running Wolf. When William noticed that the Indian was watching him, he blushed and hung his head.

Kneeling down Running Wolf faced William and said, "You are alert and watch the things new to you. It is a good thing." Drawing his knife he looked at Josh; Josh smiled and nodded at Running Wolf. Danni started to step forward but Josh put his arm around her and shook his head. She relaxed, leaning against her husband.

Running Wolf took Williams right hand and pricked his thumb; then he did the same to his own thumb. As blood seeped out of the small cuts he pressed their two thumbs together. He had done the same thing with Josh years ago.

"You are now blood brother to Running Wolf. You are part of the Jicarilla. I name you "Lichii Sitiliden", it means Red Coyote," he told William. He took the eagle feather from his hair and tied it in William's mop of reddish blond hair. Reaching into the pouch at his waist he handed the boy a carved wooden totem.

"When you get your first horse Red Coyote, weave this totem into its mane. The totem will protect your horse and you," Running Wolf instructed. Standing he walked to Josh and Danni. He handed another totem to Danni. "Tie this charm into your buckskin's mane. It too will protect you."

William still wide eyed ran to his father, showing him the eagle feather and the totem. "Pa, I'm an Apache now, just like you." Josh nodded and let William show him his new treasurers. "When can I have my own horse Pa?"

Red looked behind Running Wolf and asked, "Where are your people?"

"They are camped beyond that hill."

Danni hesitated and then said, "That area has little water. Move your camp here to the lake; you won't have to have a dry camp."

"There may be soldiers following us soon. I do not want you to put you in danger," the chief said.

"I don't rightly care about a bunch of Yankee soldiers," Red said with a little anger in his voice. "This is our land and we'll help who we want."

Josh patted Red on the shoulder and smiled. "Take it easy Red. They're not even here yet and you're ready to fight the war all over again."

Red calmed down a little but added, "Never liked them Yankees trying to tell folks how to live and what to do back then and I don't care for it now either."

"You are our guest Running Wolf," Danni said. "But more importantly you are blood brother to my husband and my son; that makes you family. And I won't be told how to treat a guest in our home."

Running Wolf was impressed with Danni. Turning to Josh he said, "I was right, you have chosen a good woman to help you as you go through life."

Dillon had relaxed when Josh motioned Danni to join him. He wouldn't put his wife and kids in danger, he thought. Dillon walked over and joined Elizabeth and Sarah. Jerry and the two hands walked over to the rock outcropping.

"You must be Mr. Gallagher," Jerry said. "I'm Jerry Barnes. Got a couple of horses for you to look at when you've a mind to."

"Please to meet you Jerry. Call me Dillon and this is my wife Elizabeth."

"When would you like to see them Dillon?"

"We have to go back to Fountain this afternoon to meet the rest of the family. Maybe we could come back the day after tomorrow," Dillon answered.

"I'll bring the horse over to the ranch tomorrow and leave them for a few days. That way you won't have to rush out here to see them," Jerry suggested.

Josh rode with Running Wolf to lead his people to the new camp site at the lake; the band consisted of about 35 men, women, and children. The rest of the picnic crowd headed back to the ranch house; Jerry and his workers returned to the dam. Dillon and Elizabeth changed into dry clothes and began their return trip to Fountain to meet Eleanor and the family. They promised to return with the whole family in two days.

"We got horses to look at," Dillon said. "And I want a closer look at the Anderson place."

Dillon and Elizabeth returned to Fountain, arriving just past midday. They arranged for rooms at the boarding house and then went to the livery to wait for the family; they had agreed to meet there. Shortly after 2 PM Eleanor, Ethan and Oso arrived in a buckboard. I was right about Oso not finding a horse, Dillon thought.

"I'm glad to see you," Eleanor greeted Dillon and Elizabeth with a hug and a kiss. "But was it necessary to come all this way to get a couple of horses?"

"Yes em it is if you want to get the best," Dillon replied. "Besides I may have found us a ranch. I want to show it to you tomorrow or the next day and see what you think."

Dillon explained Josh's idea about homesteading the land adjoining the ranch. "We'd end up with about a thousand acres for just the cost of Anderson's 400."

"So you think we ought to buy this place?"

"Not necessarily but I think we ought to look at it. I was only there for an hour or so but from what I saw it could be a good place to live," Dillon answered.

Eleanor saw the eagerness on Dillon's face and said, "Well I guess we better take a look at this place."

Later, after supper, Dillon and Oso were sitting on the front porch of the boarding house with a cigar and coffee. "Guess I was right about y'all coming in a wagon. Couldn't you find horses?"

Oso chuckled. "We could have gotten horses for Eleanor and Ethan but they didn't have anything that could carry all this," he said pointing to his body. Oso was 6' 6 and weighed in at close to 300 pounds.

"Why didn't you bring your horse from the Triple E with us?"

"I should have but he was gettin on in years. Cassidy's range boss, House, said he would take care of the animal for me. If I'd knowed how hard it was to replace him, I would've brought him."

Dillon smiled at the big man. "Don't worry Oso, we'll find something for you to ride. Even if we have to capture and train a buffalo."

"Elizabeth said you two had a little excitement the other day. Something about a gun fight," Oso said.

"Women never can keep quiet about things, can they?" Dillon asked with a small grin. "I didn't want to say anything to worry or alarm Eleanor."

Dillon told Oso about the run in with Stillwell and his men. "If nothing else we got rid of some varmints. It got me a good deal on a couple of fine horses too," Dillon finished the story.

"It's that damn Winterborn legend all over again," Oso replied with his own grim smile.

********************

The next morning well before first light, Josh rode to Running Wolf's camp. They were going elk hunting; the camp needed fresh meat. The tribe had been traveling light and fast trying to stay ahead of any soldiers following them.

Leading two pack horses they rode to the spot Josh had picked out. "We will try for two elk," Running Wolf told Josh. "One will feed the families now and we'll smoke and dry the other one for the trip north."