The Inn with a Past

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After their embrace ended, both Mark and Phil returned their attention towards the innkeeper. "Can you tell us more about them please," pleaded Phil as he wiped the tears which formed in his eyes.

The landlord nodded. "Yes I can tell you a lot about them. With their inn burnt to the ashes, both of them sold the estate and took another plot not far from there. With the help of the locals they established a new inn and I have heard that it was one of the best in the country. They named it The Golden Chain Inn." Gulping down a small pint of beer which the landlord had bought with him as he returned with the book, he continued. "Their business soared rapidly. Can you imagine - two girls in their early twenties managing a bar in those days? Who know what they had to face before they could even build the inn. But they did it. After their business rose to prominence, those two helped set up a number of important buildings - like schools, houses around the area. Hell most of the houses here and in Winsten were build under their close inspection." Shaking his head, the landlord continued "Those two, with their own hands changed the look of the town of Winsten and made it what it is today. Grinning, the landlord said, "I have heard from my grandfather that those two were by far the most beautiful women in the whole town. Even when they got pregnant right after their pub was burnt down, those two never stopped. "

"Pregnant?" asked Phil.

"Yes pregnant. No one know who was the reason for it but I have heard stories that it was two young men who visited the pub on the night before April First - the day when the accident happened - might be the reason for them being pregnant."

"Were they married after that?" asked Mark tentatively.

"Nah, those two never married. Mind you, there was no shortage of suitors. But all were rejected by the two sisters. It was said that they were still waiting for the ones who many believed were the real father's of their children. Maybe they were waiting for the two lads who visited them on the fateful night, who knows. I don't know whether those two lads even showed up afterwards," admitted the landlord

"Have you any pictures of the Golden Chain?" asked Mark.

Turning the pages of the book, the landlord pointed at the page with a picture of inn with two ladies in white gowns standing proudly on its threshold. "See - there's the Golden Chain inn."

Both Mark and Phil stared at the picture on the book and smiled. The picture - though black and white - depicted beautifully the Golden Chain inn - as its name suggested on a huge board mounted on the top. But what truly brought both men to smiles was the two beautiful ladies who were posing in front of the camera. Though the technology was still primitive, but the photos were still distinct. The two ladies were in fact Catherine and Mary in white gowns posing in front of the camera with their smiles which stole the heart of the two old men those many years ago.

The landlord got up as two new customers who arrived in The Grey Beard. "Excuse me gents. Duty calls."

Mark and Phil just nodded while they stared at the picture in the book. None was said between the two after the landlord left. Finally Phil broke the silence. "Let's go back mate," he said at last.

Mark nodded and got up from the chair. After paying off the dues, both men exited the pub. Silently Mark and Phil walked away from the public house. Each knew what the other was thinking, but remained silent.

They were lost in their memories, memories of those two girls. They were alive!

The sun was setting below the horizon. With the trees surrounding the area like a jacket, night time was fast approaching them.

"Wanna go and visit the place one more time?" asked Mark.

Phil grinned and nodded to his friend. "Lead the way mate".

"Well, how the fuck did it happen to us," Mark said with playfulness in his tone as they stared at the place where once the Old Boar stood.

"I don't know mate." Taking a deep sigh, Phil turned towards his friend, "I don't know."

Both of them were standing before the place where once the Old Boar stood. Night had already fallen. With the fainting street lights, nothing could be seen properly in the dark with the enormous trees casting their shadows over them. The landlord of the Grey Beard and informed them that the incident which took place in the Great Boar had taken place close to a two hundred years ago, but how was that even possible. Both of them could bet their life the fact that they were at the Great Boar when the 'unfortunate' incident took place. It was very confusing for both of them and neither of them could find the answer of the millions questions which swarmed in their minds after their encounter in the Grey Beard.

"According to the landlord, the Golden Chain inn was located somewhere in that direction before it was brought down in the early nineteen hundreds. " Phil was pointing towards the path along which they came to that place in the first place.

"Might as well go and see it," Mark commented. Though he knew that the inn was demolished long ago but still he wanted to visit the place where once the Golden inn stood in all its glory.

Phil nodded and started his journey after his friend who was already on his way. Phil smiled on seeing his friend's enthusiasm. He was feeling giddy himself. During their journey in the morning none of them noticed anything as they travelled through the paved road towards the Old Boar. But maybe something was still left which they might have missed out.

"Hey Phil, come here quickly," shouted Mark.

"Huh. What?" Phil was busy in his own thoughts when he heard his friend call for him. Walking as fast as his tired body could, Phil reached the location were his friend was standing with a bewildered expression on his face.

"What happened," Phil breathed heavily. He had to remember that he was not young anymore.

"Look at that," Mark croaked without even sparing a glance at Phils face.

"What do you -?" Phil's mouth stopped talking as he watched what his friend was referring too. In between the dense woods, Paul could make out the bright light of an establishment - most probably an inn. But was it there before? Phil was ready to disagree. He may have grown old but he was certainly not delusional. If the establishment was there before ,he would have surely seen it. Then where did it come from?

"Let's move a bit more. Shall we?" asked Mark who still had that shocked expression on his face.

Not trusting his voice; Phil just nodded and started moving towards the brightly lit establishment. It was definitely an inn. It looked as if there was no electricity inside, as if it was solely lighted by candles and nothing else. There were two glass windows on either side of the entry door. Hearing from the sounds coming from inside, Phil and Mark were sure that it was full.

They noticed a large wooden board hanging above the door. Even in the dim light, both of them could read what was written on it. The wooden board read - THE GOLDEN CHAIN INN.

Neither of them spoke for a moment. Both of them kept staring at the sigh board.

"So... Shall we get a drink my friend?" Mark asked Phil with a grin forming in his face as he addressed his friend.

"Well I suppose it's too dark to carry on anyway," Phil admitted with a grin of his own.

Laughing the two young men made their way into The Golden Chain inn and joined in the laughter which emitted from within the pub.

FIN

Thanks for reading guys.