Trials Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

-------

Emmett took a deep breath and began to disrobe. Shoes and socks, shirt, pants and underwear. Another sigh and he started to change. It was an uncomfortable situation. He was in a room full of strangers, a couple with guns. These people didn't understand wolf behavior and he was, as one would expect, a large wolf. He knew some of the people in the room would be afraid of him and it might not take much for someone to misunderstand his actions.

He was only supposed to come out from behind the screen and approach the judge.

The screen didn't go all the way to the ground and they were all looking intently at the bare feet in the gap at the bottom. The feet grew thinner, smaller and grey hair sprouted from the skin. Two more feet showed up in front of the other two and more hair. It didn't take long or, at least, it didn't seem to.

A nose came out from behind the screen, higher up than was expected. Grey fur covered it. The muzzle went up slightly as the animal sniffed the air. Another step forward, and a third. It looked around the room, particularly at the bailiffs, then stepped further out.

Nobody shrieked, or panicked. Everyone else seemed to be utterly enthralled by sight of the animal. It was a huge wolf. Of course, no one in the room had ever been so close to one before, so maybe they misjudged the size.

Stepping forward slowly, the wolf approached the judge. Its ears were back slightly, tail a bit low. As it got closer, the judge actually drew back slightly. The animal then sat in front of him, looking at him. They were just about eye to eye.

"Mr. Forrester? Do you understand me?"

The wolf dipped its head.

"Do you see the woman in the red sweater?"

After scanning the room, the wolf shook its head.

"No?" Another shake. "The woman with the dark, curly hair?"

A dip of the head. "Please sit in front of her."

The wolf moved to the front row of jurors and sat in front of the woman with the red sweater. She cocked her head and started to reach out, like she was going to pet him. He pulled back and she jerked away. The bailiffs suddenly went on alert, touching holsters. The judge put out a hand to stop them.

"Thank you, Mr. Forrester. Please go change back to your human form."

"Judge Kohler?" The jury forewoman.

"Yes?"

"Can we look behind the screen so that we know it's not a trick?"

"Mr. Forrester, in front of me, please." The wolf went back to sit in front of the judge and they all filed over to look behind the screen. There was no door there, just a chair with some clothes on it. A couple knocked on the walls to be sure. They all went back to their seats.

The wolf looked at the judge, who nodded at him, and it went back behind the screen to change back.

Emmett put himself back together after letting Lyssa know he was OK. As he stepped out from behind the screen again, the judge cleared his throat. He looked at the judge. "Mr. Forrester, do you see the woman in the red sweater?"

"Yes, sir."

"Point to her, please." Emmett pointed her out. "Why couldn't you tell where she was when you were a wolf?"

"Wolves do not see all colors. Our vision is pretty much on the blue end of things."

The judge looked at his watch and the jurors walked back out to the courtroom.

Lyssa was happy to see her mate return, and none the worse for wear. He smiled at her, and she smiled back. The lawyers and one of the bailiffs re-entered as Emmett stepped up to go back into the witness box.

"All rise."

The judge came back in as the Wilson lawyer stood, tugging his grey suit coat into place. Some of the jurors were whispering. "I see I need to remind the jury that you are not to discuss this case amongst yourselves until you retire to the room to determine the innocence or guilt of the defendant." They all looked up, embarrassed, looking guilty. "I understand you've just experienced something extraordinary, but I will have order in my courtroom."

The room quieted as he sat and Ronnie's lawyer approached Emmett. "Mr. Brody."

He turned. "Sir?"

"In consideration of the time I suggest we adjourn for the day and pick this back up tomorrow."

He looked a bit annoyed but schooled his expression. "Yes, sir."

"Mr. Forrester, you will be called back to the witness stand in the morning. Do you understand?"

"Yes." [Sir.] "Yes, sir."

"You are excused until then."

"Thank you."

"This court is adjourned until 9 a.m. tomorrow morning." And the gavel came down.

The audience started filing out as Emmett came back to his mate and Alex.

Lyssa wrapped her arms around him. [So, it went OK?]

[Mostly.]

[Mostly? What does that mean?]

[Let's go home, mate.]

------

It was late afternoon when they got back to the den.

Alex was showing his frustration with the pace of the trial, as was the case with most of the wolves. He growled most of the way home.

Emmett didn't really understand the process either but realized that it had to work its way through the human court system. In order to more peacefully coexist with the humans, they had to show that they would abide by their rules in those things where their interactions required it. They had, after all, both worked with humans and paid taxes to their government. The people who disliked them, hated them, or mistrusted them discounted any of that and saw them only as evil, or unnatural, and outside of the normal sphere.

They were, of course, different, and were trying to get themselves designated as a sovereign nation, somewhat like the Amish, or the Amerindians. The primary goal here was to govern themselves as they saw fit, punish their own members as necessary, educate the pups as they always had, and to get special consideration when the females were in heat.

All this would mean they had to disclose more than was comfortable to the humans but, outnumbered by thousands, they needed to have some legislated protections in place. States in the west were trying to pass laws that said that anyone who shot a werewolf, thinking that it was just a large wolf, wouldn't be charged with a crime.

All this, when they were only one of three packs known to exist at that time. There were rumors that there were others, but no one was certain.

-------

Austin had found the location of Wray's Wraps and had gone by a few times to see when the woman was working.

The name on the tag was Samantha. She smiled at him as he entered.

"Good afternoon, officer. What can I get you?"

Officer? Oh, right, he was in uniform. "Mmmm." He looked up at the menu, contemplating. And scenting. Yup, definitely the female he smelled at the fair.

The phone rang. "Take your time. I'll be right back."

He heard the order placed for three subs to go. And she turned, humming to herself as she pulled out the tortillas and started assembling things.

Her hands were long-fingered, dexterous. She was slim but with some curves that he associated more with human females.

Right. The menu. Veggie. Bleh. Chicken. Eh. Beef. Hmm. With tomatoes and lettuce and onions and some weird sauce. Usually overcooked at these places but he'd see what came out.

She finished making the three and bagged them up then dusted off her hands and looked back to him.

He had been wrong. She had differently colored eyes. One was more greenish. The other was brown. He smiled. "Have you decided, officer?"

"Austin."

"Officer Austin." He didn't correct her. She might have a problem if he announced himself as a Severn.

"How well done is the beef?"

"You don't like it well?"

"My preference is almost bloody."

She gusted out a sigh. "I suppose you have to get back to work pretty quickly."

The change of subject confused him. What was she getting at?

"Excuse me?"

"If you have time to wait a little, I could look and see if we have any that isn't that well done or get some made up more rare. Unless we get a rush of customers."

"I don't want to put you out."

"OK, let me look in the back real quick."

He stood, and mused. He heard her opening doors that sounded like refrigerators and rummaging around.

The door opened and a bell rang. "Just a second." Doors closing and she came out to deal with the customer who was picking up the order she just made. He stood by, patiently.

As the other customer left and two more walked in, he said, "Don't worry about it. Just give me the beef with double meat and some tomatoes. No onions, lettuce, or sauce."

"What kind of wrap?"

"Oh, uh, tomato."

As she made up his order she said, "If you let us know ahead of time, I can get some meat prepped the way you like."

He smiled. "OK. Thanks."

He pulled out his wallet and she waved him off. "No, it's OK."

He put a twenty on the counter. "No, it's not. I pay for what I buy."

Austin looked over his shoulder as he walked out; she was looking in wonder at the money.

12