Vegas Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They played for another hour without either being able to establish any sort of advantage. Both were tired, not just from the day but also the immense mental strain of the situation. Daniel had the pressure of trying to beat one of the best, but then no-one expected him to win. Smith had the added pressure of playing against a rookie, but had the advantage of being much the better player. In the end, it was fate that decided the outcome and in the cruellest way possible.

Daniel was dealt Ace-King, both hearts. He made a sizeable raise and Smith flat called. The flop came King-King-Eight and Daniel knew this was his chance, probably the best chance he would have, to win the title. Unless Smith had pocket eights he was the massive favourite and the odds of him holding that pocket pair were not great. Daniel made the same sized bet as he had done pre-flop and Smith thought for a while before he made the call.

The turn card was a three, no good to Daniel and unlikely to help Smith. Daniel briefly wondered whether to check and allow Smith to take a shot at it, but that would be a wasted opportunity if Smith checked behind him. Instead, he went the other way and bet half the pot. As Smith thought, Daniel tried to put him on a hand. A pocket pair perhaps, giving him two pair? Or more likely the other King? With an inferior kicker?

As he thought, Smith looked up. "Okay, kid. It's time," he said, his smile hidden behind a deadpan exterior. "All-in."

The buzz of anticipation around the room was unbelievable, impossible to describe. Despite the lateness of the hour, the room was packed and as he glanced up, Daniel saw Johnny Chan sitting next to Scotty Nyguyen. His mouth went dry. Those two greats were watching him at the final table and not the other way around. That seemed so weird.

He looked back at the cards and was unsure how to feel. This was the position he had wanted to find himself in. There was no doubt that he was going to call, but what on earth did Smith have? The three gave a possible flush draw but it was unlikely that Smith would risk the entire tournament with that.

Daniel had the advantage in chips, so a successful call would win the whole event. And if he lost he would still have around a million chips, but he would be unlikely to be able to fight back from that position against someone of Smith's quality. Some instinct told him what Smith was playing and he shouted it out as he made the call and turned over his own cards.

"King-Queen," he shouted. "Show me King-Queen."

He knew from the triumphant look on Smith's face that he was in trouble, even before the little Canadian immediately turned over his pocket eights. He had hit his full house on the flop and the poker gods had given Daniel just about the only hand guaranteed to lead to an all-in confrontation. Daniel felt devastated and felt his entire body slump.

Smith, on the other hand, stood there quietly, showing what a class act he was.

"Nice hand," muttered, Daniel managing to find the words from somewhere.

"It's not over yet, kid," Smith replied, his face still deadpan.

He was right. The river was another three. That gave Daniel a superior full house.

It seemed like the whole room erupted, everyone either cheering or groaning apart from the two protagonists. Smith looked at Daniel and a smile flickered across his face. Daniel shook his head. It must only have been a few seconds whilst they stared at each other but to Daniel, it seemed much longer. Then Smith made his way around the table and firmly shook Daniel's hand.

"I'm so sorry," Daniel said. "I sucked out."

"Yes," responded the Canadian. "But you know what, kid? You played great."

*

Daniel woke up in his Bellagio suite around noon the next day. It had been in the early hours of the morning before he had returned to the hotel. He had a huge feeling of satisfaction at what he had achieved and for a few moments after he awoke, whilst he lay there peeking out across the room through still sleepy eyes, he recalled the key moments of play at the Final Table.

But just as he began to smile to himself, his mind jumped to Grace. And Katherine. And Lauren, too. The satisfaction was replaced with an intense feeling of emptiness. This was not how it was supposed to be.

He felt a stirring in the bed beside him and jerked his head to the side. It was the woman that had serviced him in the ladies rest room. How the hell...?

He lowered his head into his hands, wondering what the future held.

If only he knew.......

THE END

If you enjoyed, please don't forget to either send feedback, vote... or ideally do both.