Witness for the Prosecution Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What Dwight and Lorena here did not know," I continued, "was that another team of Federal attorneys and agents were serving warrants at County Jail, and managed to secure the eight other perps, and get them out of the State. There is a small airfield next to the Hammondsville Railyards, and I suspect the perps were taken there, loaded onto planes, and smartly moved about the country." (Author's note: 'Power of Love', Ch. 02 for mention of that airport.)

"So that's what they've done." I said to finish up. "They may or may not have been within the letter of the law, but their intentions were to be deceptive, and therefore not honest. And to answer some questions: yes, Judge Ruth B. Taney is part of the plot and therefore part of the problem, but don't expect any trouble to come her way."

Me: "Yes, they my have jumped the gun relative to the timing of executing the warrants. It doesn't matter; if the Courts are part of the corruption, they'll be part of the cover-up, and part of the suppression of the facts getting out. And Dwight Stevens told me he'd let us convict the gangs on the local charges first, then he goes behind my back and does this. He really needs to explain himself on this one."

Lorena Rose said "I do know that Dwight and all the DEA did not want to let you convict the perps first. But I'm not sure why. And I'm still thinking that they lied to Dwight and fooled him like they did me."

"I need to hear it from him." I said darkly. "Anyhoo, some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you. They won this one. I just want to know why they're putting themselves through these hoops to do this. What is their deeper purpose behind their actions?"

"If you don't know, how do you expect any of us to know?" Cindy asked, meaning it humorously.

"I don't." I replied. "I'm just asking the questions right now."

Miriam Walters said "You don't think Savannah is part of this, do you?"

I said "I don't know, Ms. Walters. She's in the same boat with Dwight Stevens, as far as how I'm looking at it. She could have been duped, could have been part of it, could've gone whole-hog Swamp Frog."

Me: "I will say this: I'm somewhat giving her the benefit of the doubt on the forgetting to get the Federal immunity. After all, I made the same mistake a few months ago, but was able to correct it in time." (Author's note: 'Beethoven Virus') "My problem is that Fineman made the mistake of asking about the crimes that had Federal purview. If she'd stuck to the local charges, she'd have been fine. But..."

I stopped a moment, then said "The more I think of it... the more some things that didn't make sense now do. We were wondering why the trial was moved up and begun so fast, but there was no plea bargain like we'd normally expect. We were wondering why the trial was going so fast, especially jury selection. Well, if we surmise that the Defense lawyers knew about all of this, it starts to make sense..."

And I was gone. Reverie time. When I came out of it, only Teresa was still in the room, guarding me. "They're all headed to the Cop Bar for nachos and beer. Shall we go break bread with them?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Despite the cold, we sat on the outside deck of the Cop Bar. The fire in the fire pot was going strong, and a lot of beef nachos were consumed. Most of us preferred Cherry Coca-Cola Zero to beer, as well.

My wife Laura and Paulina Patterson came in, and to the shock of most of us, D.A. Miriam Walters was there. She talked mostly to the Chief and Captain Michaels, while Laura and Paulina talked to me and Teresa. (In case you're wondering, Carole was with Marie Steele and her parents, and Jim and Tasha were at The Cabin with their brothers Ross and Ian, as well as Molly, Maggie, Betsy, and Ben.)

Paulina said "Max Chambliss sure didn't protect his client, Maribel Isadora, did he?"

"Hmmph!" I wheezed. "Calling her his client is almost an abuse of the term. His real clients are Gresham & Mason's clients... the Swamp Frogs. And before you ask: yes, I see Swamp Frogs being involved in all this. This is well-coordinated throughout the Federal Government. I'm not sure how or why, though..."

"Don?" Teresa asked as I stopped talking. "You okay?" She looked to see what I was staring at. It was the necklace Laura was wearing. Paulina had given it to Laura for Laura's birthday a couple of weeks before. (Author's note: 'No Show', Ch. 02.)

It was a wreath, the outer diameter being about two inches wide. It was mostly green emerald chips, with a line of red ruby chips winding around it, flanked by very tiny diamonds. It had caught and reflected some light, drawing my attention.

"Paulina," I said, "where did you get that pendant you gave Laura?"

"Oh, at the Smith-Morra Pharmacy's jewelry store." Paulina said. "When the Black Team of the Toyota Gang got busted attempting to rob it, it came out they were getting a shipment of stones to cut and polish into jewelry pieces." (Author's note: 'Scavenger Hunt', Ch. 03)

Paulina: "Carole had asked me what they did with the (air quotes) 'leftovers' after cutting the stones, so I went and asked them. They said they salvaged what they could to make smaller stones that were set on the sides of the larger ones. I asked if they could use the chips to make a piece like that wreath, and the jeweler lit up when he heard the idea. He made four wreaths like that, and sold me that one at a huge discount to what they sold the other three for."

"Brilliant idea, flawlessly executed... pun fully intended." I said, making the ladies laugh.

"So what flashed in that red head of yours when your eye caught the wreath in the light?" Teresa asked.

"Nothing." I replied. "It just reminded me of the jewelry heist. It was busted, and the store lost nothing. But if it had succeeded, it would've been the Toyota Gang's biggest heist, right up there with the 1933 Double Eagles. Oh well, water under the bridge..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I think I finally figured it out." Cindy said as the party was winding down. "You think Louis Bailey won't be a problem... because he's going to run for Sheriff against Sheriff Griswold!."

"So I read the riddle." I replied.

"Will he run as a Democrat or a Republican?" Cindy asked.

"That's the $64,000 question." I replied. "I'm more curious to see what Daniel Allgood is going to do, and if Ryan Paulson will primary him. If Bailey knows what he is doing, he'd try to create a de facto 'ticket' with one of them. It will also depend on who is running for Sheriff as a Democrat. If there's no one of note, Bailey could go that route. But he won't get support if a rabidly anti-Police 'woke' candidate comes out."

"You just love political season, don't you?" Cindy said, teasing me.

I replied: "I'd love it a lot more if, like the great Rush Limbaugh once said, 'I'm going to keep doing this until everyone agrees with me'. If everyone would just agree with me, everything would be wonderful."

"You don't ask much." Cindy replied. "You don't ask much..."

Part 4 - Intimidation

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, November 17th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with City Hall in her background. "Police Commander Donald Troy continues to be dragged into Court for his violent actions!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "The family of Anthony Wilson has filed a lawsuit in the tens of millions of dollars against Commander Troy, Mayor Daniel Allgood, and the Town & County, after Commander Troy severely injured Mr. Wilson during a peaceful protest. The formal notice of the lawsuit was served to the Council at their meeting last night."

Bettina: "And Senior Deputy Louis Bailey is considering a lawsuit against Commander Donald Troy as well as the Public Safety Department, after the Police Captain's Union refused to act on his behalf on the grievances he filed. Channel Two News has learned that during the second peaceful protest at City Hall, Commander Troy violently pushed Senior Deputy Bailey before severely injuring Anthony Wilson. As usual, Commander Troy has not responded to repeated requests for comment by KXTC Channel Two News..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Nothing new there." I said as Sheriff Griswold, ADA Patterson, Chief Moynahan, Deputy Chief Muscone, Chief Deputy Ross, and Operations Officer Teresa Croyle joined me in drinking coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. Also in the room was FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone, sitting between the Chief and Tanya, just off the table corner.

"Same shit, different day." lamented Teresa.

"That Louis Bailey thing was new." Cindy replied.

"So why repeat the Anthony Wilson story, and in such a blatantly dishonest way?" Teresa countered.

I said "Last night it became official when the lawsuit papers were submitted to the Council. My countersuit against him and his family was also entered into the record, but Bettina must've forgotten to mention that."

"Did they really name Daniel Allgood personally in the lawsuit?" Tanya asked.

"They named the 'Mayor & Council', which is the formal and official name of that august body of Government. Bettina must've accidentally left the 'Council' part off." I replied with great snarkiness.

"Sheriff, what's going on with Louis Bayyyy-leeeee?" drawled Chief Moynahan.

"I dunno." growled Griswold. "I thought everything was resolved. This is the first I'm hearing that he may sue."

I said "Bettina said he's considering suing. That's Bettina-speak that he's threatening a lawsuit if he doesn't get what he wants, especially since the Union has told him to pound sand."

"Well, what exactly does he want?" Tanya gasped out.

Sheriff Griswold growled "He's really pissed about the structure. I think his anger on that is genuine. He really does believe he was the Incident Commander both times at the Council meetings, and that Ms. Ross is just my personal secretary."

"Dayum." I said with a grin. "The rest of us would kill for secretaries that can do all the Green Crowbar can do." A green crowbar was waved in my general direction.

Teresa said "Sheriff, would Bailey be acting like this if Cindy was a man?"

Tanya said wickedly with a gleam in her eye: "Cindy, what are your pronouns again?" A green crowbar was waved in Lady Ironside's general direction.

I said "That may be the case, but Bailey was pissed that the Sheriff took my side, and that it's been made clear I not only outrank him but that I will have the Sheriff's blessing if and when I take over a situation. But hell... I tried not showing up at one situation, and I'll never make that mistake again if I have a choice in the matter."

"Crowbar is right." growled Griswold. "Chief of Staff Oswald wouldn't have usurped Bailey's position in the field, but if he had I would have supported Oswald. And I'm making it clear that Ms. Ross outranks him and speaks with my voice at any scene. Scary side of that is that Ms. Perlman here will use that to kick Crowbar to the kerb and take over." His mustaches were twitching with merriment as he said it.

"Moohahahaha!" Tanya cackled. "The power is mine! mine! The Crowbar will be mine! And your little dog, too!"

"The crowbar, you can take." I said. "But Carole will lay you out if you mess with her dogs."

"Don't be fooled." barked Griswold. "It's Carole's father that loves those dogs like his own children." I nodded most vigorously in agreement.

"Noted." Tanya said. "But would Bailey really sue Don, especially if Don countersues?"

"Which I will do." I added.

Sheriff Griswold: "Regarding the situation with Crowbar shoving him, Bailey is just plain wrong on it. If Bailey pushes it, I'll arrest him and charge him with assaulting Crowbar first by grabbing him by the collar like he did."

Cindy said "I have a suspicion that Bailey is squawking to the Press about that in order to get some publicity for himself. And you know Bettina will give anyone who attacks Don all the air time he or she could ever want."

"That's a good point." I said. "Maybe that's why Daniel Allgood has been acting like a shit, too. Sooooo, Mr. Muscone, husband of the all-powerful New Iron Crowbar and Master of Bowser, what brings you to our humble coffee klatch?"

"Oh, I go where the Queen of Crowbars here orders me to." Jack Muscone said, teasing his wife.

"Wanna borrow a green crowbar?" Cindy asked Tanya, offering the aforementioned tool.

"The temptation to use that thing is overwhelming, but I'll show mercy today." Tanya said her eyes sparkling wickedly. "But seriously... Jack, tell them what you've found out about the Feds kidnapping our perps."

"And 'kidnapping' is a pretty accurate term." said Muscone. "First, the memorial service for Owen Lange was last Sunday. It was surprisingly well attended, but I got the sense it was like James Taggart's wedding in 'Atlas Shrugged'; people were there to see and be seen, and for political reasons."

Muscone: "I will add that a number of Owen Lange's closest associates did not attend, and I suspect it's because they did not want the Swamp Frogs that were there to see them and realize they were Guardians of Justice. FBI Deputy Director Lawrence Lance gave part of the eulogy, and did well. But he looked harassed and (air quotes) 'not well' himself, and I hope he doesn't come over all dead in the near future."

"What Swamp Frogs were there?" I asked.

"The current Director of National Intelligence, Susan Cameron Price, was there." Jack said. "She said 'hello' to me and that was it. Also there was Dr. Robin Isley. She said 'Dr. Fredricson didn't come?' and I said 'No.' and that was all the contact we had. Brendan Chapel did not appear at the service, nor did the the Director of the FBI, nor Derrick B. Harland."

"What about Lindsey Black and Karl Coleman?" Teresa asked, venom in her voice.

"No, they weren't there. Nor was Martin Nash." Muscone said. "Anyway, we also had meetings. The ones I was invited to, usually large ones with field-level Agents, constantly invoked the theme of 'loyalty'... allegedly to the FBI, but more to the Government... not to the country nor the Constitution, but to the Government and our current national political leaders. And in one meeting, we were told explicitly and outright that the greatest threat to the Nation was Domestic Terrorism by White Supremacists that want to create and spread race-based hatred."

"I thought we destroyed Superior Bloodlines." I said, half-witheringly and half-musingly. (Author's note: 'Sandstorm')

"This is different. Much different." Muscone replied. After a brief pause, he went on: "And then there were 'unofficial' meetings. I was invited to dinner with Lawrence Lance, and there were six of us there with him, and they were people he expected or at least believed were more loyal to the Nation and the Constitution than to Derrick B. Harland. Lance told us that he did not know how much longer he would survive as Deputy Director, that tremendous pressure was being put on him to either betray the Constitution or quit his post."

Muscone: "And with EAD Owen Lange dead, our allies are dwindling. Lance knows that I'm working with Senator Bill Nunn, and he knows I'll be out of the FBI soon, as well... hopefully by my choice and not the Swamp Frogs's choice. Both Lance and Senator Nunn told me privately that the Swamp Frogs want to come after me, and with Owen Lange gone they feel they can do whatever they're going to do unimpeded."

I said "Did anyone talk about the Feds coming in here and taking our Toyota Gang perps?"

Muscone said "A few people made a point to make snarky jokes where I could hear them, saying that they had rubbed the Iron Crowbar's nose in their dung. I think that was on purpose, like people whispering about the Wildcats when you walked by, Don. But the only discussion we had was at Lance's dinner. And none of us professed to be able to understand any of it. We generally agreed that there is something behind it, but it must be at the very top levels of Government, and involve the Cartels and the Red Chinese, or other items of national security interest."

"You agree with that, Mister Crowbarrrr?" drawled the Chief.

"If Jack Muscone says that's what they talked about, then I certainly do agree with him." I said. (Boy! was I being snarky today.)

Then I said "But I just can't shake the feeling that all of that about the Cartels and the Chinese is just a red herring. There is something that I am just overlooking here. And that means we need to find those twelve people. And like you said, Jack, 'kidnapped' is the proper term. They are in great danger... existential danger. Their lives are on the line."

"Why do you say that, Mister Crowbarrrr?" the Chief asked.

"Think about it, everyone." I said to all the eyes that were affixed upon me. "They murdered the four members of the White Team, just to distract me and get me out of Town. And that's when they attempted their biggest heist, the Smith-Morra jewelry store theft. I think Maribel Isadora was spot-on when she was screaming and crying that they would kill her."

"So what can we do about it?" Tanya P. Muscone asked.

"Find them." I replied. "And Jack and his fellow friendly Feds are the ones that will have to make that happen."

Teresa said "Even if we do find them, what are our chances are getting them back?"

"Slim and none." I replied. "And 'slim' is in Albuquerque with Bugs Bunny. But what we can do is let their lawyers know where they are, and maybe the lawyers can go and help them."

Jack Muscone said "I already have been looking for them. And so has my team, Ashton Cardigan and his team, Clark Webster and his Missing Persons team, and even the Russo BAU Team. I know you don't like nor trust them, Don, but they are not Swamp Frogs."

Muscone: "Obviously, I am the last Federal Agent they will tell where the perps are, and I doubt they'll talk to any reasonably honest Federal Agents. It really hurts me to say that... that honest Federal Agents will be treated like mushrooms... but that's what things have descended to in a world with Derrick B. Harland in it. So you might ask others for help... like that former Secret Agent Woman you sleep with every night..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the Angels Meeting, I called Laura and invited her to lunch at her place of choice. Of course she suggested the Soup and Salad place, her favorite, and I agreed to meet her there.

I had no sooner disconnected the call than my landline phone buzzed. It was the Sheriff, inviting me to a meeting at City Hall in the private Council Chamber at 9:00am sharp. He said it was about Anthony Wilson's lawsuit against me, and he told me to bring my Police iPad.

I changed into a white shirt (from my normal blue one with soft shoulderboards) and black necktie, and put on my Duty Dress jacket with 'boxes', then walked over to City Hall with my notebook, Police iPad, and of course my red crowbar. I stopped by the Sheriff's office, and he led me up the stairs and down the hallway to the private Council Chamber.

Inside were Mayor Daniel Allgood, sitting at his normal place at the near (to the door) end of the table. To his right was City Attorney Dennis Garland. Sitting next to Garland was Councilman Edward R. Steele, which happened to be Edward's normal Council seat. To Steele's right was Chief Sean Moynahan, who looked surprised to see me. To Allgood's left was Councilman Edgar Silas.

"You weren't invited to this meeting, Commander Troy." Allgood said icily.