All Comments on 'Remembrances Of Sweden'

by seannelson

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Can't think of a suitable title, sorry...

Being Swedish I found this an interesting read, although I have to admit not even I have heard of drinking from the skull of a crayfish - but hey, local customs exist everywhere. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay nevertheless, and I agree Härnösand is a rather nice city (my in-laws reside a couple of miles south-west of H by the coast).

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Interesting because of Swedish Grandparents

All four of my Grandparents came from Sweden between 1905-1911. They came to the U.S. because the economy was very bad in Sweden at that time and paying work was very hard to find. I have obtained the actual pages filled out by the immigration workers when they entered the country, not through Ellis Island, but Boston and Seattle as I recall. Like most immigrants they had little money but saw opportunity here. However, times were so bad during the depression that they almost went back, fortunately for me, they did not.

Contrary to the somewhat glowing comments about Sweden's socialistic systems, there are negatives. Many Swedish relatives who have visited here have expressed how lucky we are to not be burdened by the very high taxes. One told me a few years ago that "You (U.S. citizens) have so much, hang on to it because once you lose it you will never get it back".

Swedens society is being dragged down by young people who expect the government to take care of them as they never plan to work. A socialistic society cannot function if most do not contribute through work and taxes.

Cracks are appearing in the foundation of the society.

I am posting this because I enjoyed your story, my relatives mostly live in NW Oregon, where many Swedish immigrants settled.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteover 14 years ago
Toller ne svenska?....

....spent a summer in Scandinavia,the old port of Stockholm and the Medieval Walled city of Visby on the Island of Gotland,(where Ingmar Bergman lived)-were some highlights.Part of the reason Sweden is experiencing some hiccups(nothing like here) has to do with the greed of many upper class people,who (like Born Borg)-choose to live elsewhere(like Monaco)where they won't have to pay the high taxes.Without some "Noblesse Oblige" socialism won't work.(Bergman,for years the wealthiest swede,never did this).There will always be slackers,no matter the economic system.I've seen more people at for profit capitalist corporations that ride on the backs of people who do the brunt of the work.Surprisingly enough, Iceland and Norway are where the blonds live.Lots of brunettes and redheads in Sverige(pronounced "Sveria"-I believe)-Sweden Rules.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Boring. The comments were even more.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous