The Sultanah Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Saygili," I said now, my voice at a normal level carrying easily through the crowd now, "Please collect my villager and bring her to my horse. She appears quite pathetic and weak, she reminds me of your young sister." I had put a lot into the sentence. I had not-so-subtly informed the soldiers that, as a peasant, the girl belonged to me. It did not matter who saw her first or any other possible justification, peasants belonged to the Sultanah.

More importantly, I had referenced a "young sister" that Saygili did not, in fact, possess. He came from a family of sons. He knew enough at this point not to say anything. Instead, many of the soldiers around me began to reflect on their sisters and their daughters as the word rang in their ears. Many men dropped their eyes to their feet and many others placed their foreheads in their own palms. Whatever animalistic craze had come over them in their sudden fear followed by sudden relief seemed to dissipate. The man who had grabbed the girl nearly jumped backwards.

Saygili did as he was told. He quickly climbed up the side of the hill and scooped the small girl in his arms. She looked like a rag doll and I wondered if she had suffered something more than a faint. He carried her briskly down the hill and set her in gently in my saddle. He placed her in front of me straddling my horse. Her head lolled forward against the neck of my animal and looked for a moment like she would fall. I quickly wrapped my arms around her, holding her up. She felt completely limp and fragile, but I could hear her breathing. I threw a lash around her, tying her to me tightly.

"Form ranks you little shits," Saygili called out. This time, his orders were followed. The men silently reformed. Saygili looked at me imploringly and then at the girl. I nodded and he returned to the front of the line, "You've all wasted enough time now. Let's get somewhere to rest." He urged his horse on and we all began to follow.

The girl rocked gently in the seat without stirring. She continued to breathe and eventually settled into a stable position. Closer, she looked even smaller and more beautiful than she had from a distance and I was inwardly glad that I had managed to save her. Of course, she had largely saved herself with her scream and I had nearly allowed her to come to harm. But I had done what I could, when I could. The role of a Sultanah.

About half an hour later, we excited the thick forest and entered onto a wide plain with a small creek running through the middle of it. On the banks of the creek was a moderate sized village of two dozen hovels with a large meeting house in the middle. Surprisingly for a village of that size, it appeared to be entirely intact. There was no indication that Dusman raiders had bothered anyone. They were apparently not even on guard, as my troopers entered the valley without the slightest alarm from the village. Still, there were no signs of enemy troops and the area felt very safe.

"You men, camp down near the creek. The grass is dry, so keep your fires carefully," Saygili said. It was traditional when reaching a village for the men to camp outside and for the Sultan to stay in a place of honor. We had not yet reached a settlement where a standing hovel remained. Therefore, I spent every night in the bush. I was inordinately excited by the prospect of a bed and had to suppress a smile. The men grumbled and then made their way over toward the creek. Saygili, his lieutenants, and I turned and headed off toward the village.

We did not speak as we went forward, Saygili had a thoughtful look on his face and I decided to give my captain a chance to work out whatever he was thinking. The girl continued to bounce limply on my saddle and I wondered whether she had come from this village. A few moments later we moved our horses past the first of the hovels in the village. They were simple buildings of clod brick and thatched roof. They were a bit larger than they seemed, probably large enough to hold several families a piece. There were no windows cut in the walls and cook fires sent gray smoke up from holes cut in the centers of each roof. The roads between the hovels, such as they were, were simply dirt affairs that likely turned to mush in the rain. It was far beyond anything in my experience, worse than the slums in the city. But it was a paradise by comparisons to the burned down ruins we had experienced so far. We could hear people moving about in the village but did not see them yet. Finally, we entered the main square and stopped directly in front of the town hall.

For the most part the main square was empty. Calling it a square gave it more dignity that it deserved. It was a large muddy area directly in front of the town hall. Many homes opened up on the square, presumably the homes of the town's most important people. In fact, one of those important people was in the square when we arrived; a middle aged man nodding off on a bench next to the town hall door. His arms were crossed on his narrow chest and his head was drooping.

In the past, villages in Bütün Dünya were administered by Imperial Clerks. Those clerks wore large red hats to denote their status. Many town mayors continued to wear the hat, despite the fact that they no longer answered directly to the Empire. This man wore one such hat, faded and cracked.

We waited for a moment for the man to recognize our presence. Instead, his head began to droop more deeply and I heard a snore. Saygili grunted and dug his heel into his horse's side. The horse gave a low groan and the man's eyes shot open instantly. He turned and looked at us.

"Hey what the fuck kind of thing is that goddammit?" He asked angrily. He was shaking his head to the side annoyed. Then he recognized that armed soldiers were standing in the middle of town. "Oh fuck, raiders..." he said suddenly and then jumped up. He moved so quickly that his legs tangled and he fell to the ground screaming and became coated in mud.

"Shut up you idiot, we aren't raiders. If we were you'd already be dead!" Saygili said loudly. Nonetheless the man's scream had alerted the town and in a few moments men, women, and children poured into the street. They looked alarmed and many of the men carried whatever they could find handy, mostly shovels.

"Who the fuck are you and what kind of thing is that to do to a sleeping man? With raiders all about you nearly made me shit myself..." the mayor continued. I suppressed a smile. I could see why the people of this hamlet had selected him as their leader.

"You fool..." Saygili began, shaking his head. My commander was one his last nerve and I decided to step in.

"I am called Varis," I said simply, "Your Sultanah." The man's eyes grew very wide as they strafed me. I heard a loud buzz go through the crowd.

"Gunes fuck me sidewards!" the mayor said nervously. He jumped up from his spot on the ground quickly and saluted me. Then, recognizing that this was inappropriate, he dropped down to his knees and laid his hands down flat on the ground. The other people in town followed suit, humbling themselves before me.

"That won't be necessary," I said dryly, "Just show me to my quarters." I decided to simply act as though I had been expected. The man sat up on his knees for a moment and then bounced up quickly to his feet.

"Yes...Oh yes of course. Of course. It is my honor to welcome you to our village Sultanah. I must admit we did not expect you. Not that you aren't welcome. It is just we have never been honored with a visit from any Sultan in the history of the Empire. That is not to say we are not prepared, your quarters are ready and..."

"Just take her in you moron," Saygili said.

"This way of course," the Mayor said, not looking at Saygili. Instead, his eyes remained on me. I could feel eyes all over the village on me. But I had long since grown used to that feeling. I did not turn or look. The best way to act before provincials was haughty and entitled. The mayor turned toward the hall and walked through the door. I dismounted easily and walked to follow the mayor. Saygili walked closely behind me.

"Grab the peasant girl," I said, "I will allow her to sleep on the floor in the chamber." Saygili followed my instructions

Inside the chamber was very dark, the only light coming through the smoke hole cut in the center of the thatch roof. I could barely make out the chamber in the growing darkness. It was simply a long, empty hall with mats on the floor for sitting. People in the town would meet regularly here to discuss pressing matters. My chamber (one such chamber was kept in all town halls) was located in the back of the hall. No one was allowed to enter the chamber except for the mayor and for the Sultanah's retinue. The mayor was only allowed to enter once a day to ensure that the room was ready in case the Sultanah arrived.

As we walked through the chamber, the mayor continued to chatter on nervously about the village and the possibility of raiders. I barely listened. I could sense the bed in front of me and wanted nothing more than to sleep. Saygili walked slightly behind me, easily carrying the young peasant girl. Finally we crossed to the back of the long room. A narrow door opened up leading back into my chambers. The mayor stopped outside of it and turned. He did not look me in the eye but instead reverentially bowed his head.

"It is not much, I admit. But I do my part, it is ready for you," he said nervously. I peeked my head briefly into the door. The room was lighted by a single torch hanging from the wall. It was otherwise without adornment on the walls. There was a large round bed on the floor taking up most of the space. The blankets appeared clean. There was a small table in the corner with an earthenware jug of wine and crude cups. It was simple, but it contained no mopey soldiers. It was perfect.

"You have done well," I said the mayor. He beamed excitedly. He opened his mouth to speak but I heard the sound of low moaning instead. I turned towards Saygili. The girl was stirring slightly in his arms, though her eyes were still closed, "Put her on my bed. She can gain her senses there." Saygili nodded and moved her inside the door. The mayor watched the girl pass (her breast, after all, was still exposed).

"These are wicked days," the mayor said, shaking his head.

"I nearly forgot," I said, "Does that girl come from your village?" I asked. Saygili returned to my side, the girl safely placed in the bed. The mayor shook his head.

"No, she is not one of ours," he said. I figured as much. The mayor furrowed his brow slightly, "Though, I must say I recognize her."

"How?"

"I have seen her. In the next village over to the West. I occasionally trade with the mayor there. I recognize her. The miller's daughter," he clucked his tongue and looked genuinely upset, as though he just realized something terrible, "I suppose they are not well."

"Due west?" Saygili asked, "Or south by southwest?" I turned to him, searching his face for some sort of hint. What an odd question. He looked nearly white and his eyes looked slightly wild.

"You have the right of it, south by southwest it is I suppose," the Mayor said. Saygili grew silent, once again calculating. I had to find out what he was concerned about.

"How far away as the crow flies?" Saygili asked after a pregnant pause.

"Seven miles maybe."

Thank you for your assistance," I said quickly, "I am exceedingly tired. Please leave me now." The mayor jumped slightly. He looked at me searchingly, apparently trying to figure out if he had somehow offered an offense. I smiled at him dutifully and nodded.

"Oh yes, of course. I am sorry," he said. He then turned and moved quickly towards the door. I should say he was nearly running. Saygili turned as well, his countenance still quote troubled.

"Wait," I said, looking at my captain meaningfully. We both turned and watched as the mayor walked out of the chamber. I waited a few more moments to ensure he was out of earshot. Then I turned to Saygili.

"What is the significance of south by southwest? How did you know that?" I asked, in a hushed tone. Saygili looked nervous, "What are you keeping from me?"

"Oh nothing!" Saygili said quickly, "Or, at least I am not going to keep anything from you. I never would Sultanah. It is just...I wanted to confirm on the map my suspicion before I brought anything to you." I trusted Saygili implicitly and took him at his word.

"Well tell me now nonetheless, it seems you are at least relatively sure of the situation," I said. Saygili nodded slowly.

"We have been tracking several groups of enemy troopers the last few days," he said.

"I am aware."

"Yes Sultanah. Well, I have also been keeping track of burned out villages. Their locations and the dates in which they are burned. I have noticed a pattern," Saygili stopped for a moment and took a large breath, "The villages being destroyed in this area...I have been matching destroyed village to the raider group that I believe caused it. There are various hints based on the method of destruction used, the size of groups reported by survivors, even hoof prints offer some confirmation..."

"What is the pattern, spit it out!" I said. I could tell from his demeanor that he was not going to give me good news. He had not determined a way to track our enemies more effectively. I was growing nervous.

"If I had the map, I could show you," he started, "But...they are converging. The raider groups are hitting villages closer and closer together. Coming from all directions to a centralized area. I think at least 12 groups moving."

"Where are they converging?" I asked, but I already knew the answer.

"They have been funneling us in this direction all week, letting us get close and then pulling us in this direction. The stand at the bridge...that kept us moving here. They know we are out here. Maybe they even know that you are out here. And they are concentrating their numbers here. In this village." I felt a chill but tried not to show my concern. This was worse than I expected. We were not just facing a failed mission. We were facing destruction. We have only 69 active soldiers with terrible morale and surprisingly poor fighting ability. If we faced several hundred crack raiders...we would be dead. I ran my hand through my hair loosely and looked at Saygili.

"They are only seven miles away..." I said, remembering the location of the girl's village. Saygili nodded.

"The closest group, I think," he said, "Farther groups won't get here until sometime tomorrow, probably midday. I imagine they will wait until they are all massed." What was I to do? There was no way to fight. We had to figure out a way to run.

"Are they coming from all sides?" I asked, "Are we completely surrounded. Is there any gap in the noose?" Saygili shrugged as though he had been considering the question for some time.

"There still is now. They are too spread out. There are several ways we could go. I have been trying to figure out the areas where we would be most likely to avoid detection. If we are quiet and lucky, we can slip through and they will converge on an empty village," Saygili said.

"Not empty," I said, looking toward the main door. Saygili looked as well. I thought about the villagers standing outside at that very moment, gossiping about me excitedly.

"No," Saygili agreed, "They will die when we go in the morning. The raiders will unleash their fury on them and attempt to find out where we are going. But if we stay, we will die and they will fall with us. They will face the enemy's fury for daring to oppose them. This village is already dead and burned. I could see in the mayor's eyes, he already knew it." Saygili shrugged helplessly. I knew that everything he said was correct and I sighed. What good could we do for these people? If we stayed alive at least we might avenge them.

"Should we ready the men to leave?" I asked uncertainly. Saygili snorted.

"Those lazy bastards would mutiny if we roused them now. Besides, it is getting dark and we would get lost in the woods attempting to slip between enemy troops."

"Now that I think of it," I continued, "Leaving now would alert the townspeople that something was wrong. We can't afford that. They might try to follow us, slow us down." I felt an intense sensation of guilt as I said this, but I shook my head and reminded myself that there was no other way.

"We will wake before first light and slip out quietly. The enemy will still be getting into formation and the village will be sleeping," Saygili said.

"I agree. That will be the plan," I said solemnly, "Tell as few men as possible what we intend, I don't want word getting out. Set several watchmen so we do not sleep in. And get some rest yourself, we will need all the cunning we can muster come morning."

"As you wish Sultanah," Saygili said quietly. He bowed his head in obedience and turned to walk from the town hall. I watched him as he walked, his shoulders hunched slightly in thought or perhaps defeat. As he reached the door leading outside I placed my head in my hands. How had this all gone so poorly so quickly? And was I doing the right thing? Could I really leave without at least warning these people of what would come? So many questions that I could not begin to answer.

I sighed deeply and turned toward my quarters. I looked at the bed, barely noticing that the young girl was still lying under the rough covers. I suddenly realized how exhausted I felt. The dust from the path hung heavy on my skin and my knees felt weak. I had already given my orders. The plan was to turn tail and run. To give up for now and return to the city. Sacrifice this town because I could not save it. I couldn't change that now. I flopped down, exhausted, onto the bed. It felt like I was asleep before my head hit the rough pillow.

* * * * *

I was awakened sometime later with the sensation of hands on my shoulders. As my bleary eyes opened, I felt myself being handled roughly, tossed side to side in the bed. I groaned slightly, not remembering where I was or what I was doing there. I felt a hand grab at my face slightly, scratching me. I let out a surprised shriek and tried to move away from the flailing hands.

The pain focused my mind. I remembered where I was, in the obscure village town hall, sleeping in my appointed quarters. The enemy was closing in around me. From the feel of things, they had already finished closing. Saygili had miscalculated, the enemy had snuck into the town in the middle of the night and were capturing me now. Someone knew who I was and where I was located, I was going to be taken prisoner.

Whatever paralysis had frozen me upon waking quickly dissipated. I felt a shot of adrenaline race through my heart and my skin began to tingle all over. I started to move. Not with any plan or goal, but simply to flail away. I thought of the assassins who had once climbed in through my window and tried to kill Arkadas. I could almost sense the knife at my throat. I tried to call out, but I felt a forearm against my neck. I began to kick my legs and to toss myself around on the bed. I began to feel panic rising in my ears.

While I was thrashing and struggling, I gradually became aware of a sound near me. My attacker was speaking. At first, I was too scared to tell exactly the content of the words. But, after a few moments, I began to hear the sound of the voice, if not the message. The voice of my attacker why high, tinny, almost scared. It sounded like a small wounded animal. At first I felt confusion, wondering what strange creature had been sent to kill me. But my confusion slowed my panic and I began to hear the words for what they were.

"Where am I? How did I get here? What did you do to them?" And various other, similar questions. Finally, I felt the fear drain from me entirely. I sensed the small size of the hands grasping me and I turned towards the source of the words. The girl in the tattered white dress. She had apparently awakened and had been trying to attack me. Or maybe just rouse me. I stopped all struggling and took a deep breath. That, however, was difficult because the girl was still attacking me.