Army Brat Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Slickman
Slickman
8,181 Followers

"She wants to see Ellen before she goes away to college and maybe spend some time to get to know her again."

Ellen leaned against the wall in the hallway with her sad face turning to anger. She heard enough.

"I NEVER WANT TO SEE HER AGAIN!"

Shirley and Allen turned quickly. "Ellen you don't have to." He said.

"I HATE HER!"

Allan watched his daughter run up the stairs and heard her door slam.

Shirley took another drink. "That went over well."

Danny turned around and was on his way back when he saw Dr. Brand's car pull into the driveway. He moved to house and saw Ellen move inside. As he walked to the entrance he heard her screaming.

"What's wrong?" He asked Dr. Brand who was standing at the foot of the stairs looking up.

"You might want to go home. I don't think you can help right now."

Danny looked at the older lady who held up her whiskey glass and smiled. He frowned and turned to walk outside. Outside he called Ellen's cell phone but she didn't answer.

*****

Thirty minutes later.

"GO AWAY!" She yelled to whoever was tapping on her door.

"Ellen it's me," Buttons said. The small girl stood by the door until it cracked open.

"Is it just you?"

"Yes."

Ellen let her in and immediately closed the door behind her. "Did my daddy call you?"

"No Danny did."

Ellen moved and lay back on her bed. "Things are so messed up. Everything was going so great and then...then..."

"What happened?"

"My mother is moving back to town and wants to get to know me again."

"No way."

Ellen nodded. "Is Danny ok? My grandmother asked him about his father and then made a comment that we could be brother and sister if our parents hook up."

"He's just worried about you."

"He told me that he thinks he's falling in love with me," Ellen sighed. "I should be the happiest person alive and all it does is make me scared."

"Things will work out," Buttons said as she leaned over and hugged her best friend.

"Oh, I uh...I told Danny where you got your name from."

"WHAT! Now you pissed me off girl!" Buttons jumped on top of her and pretended to smack at her head. When Ellen stopped laughing Buttons moved away. They both looked up at the ceiling.

"So are you going to see her?"

"No...I mean I don't think I can without yelling and screaming at her."

Buttons again turned and hugged her bud.

*****

Janet saw that Danny was upset about something. She heard him call someone and over heard him say that Ellen was upset. After he hung up she moved into the living room next to him. "What's going on?"

Danny sighed. "Ellen's grandmother came and asked about dad and then commented that if you marry Dr. Brand that we would be brother and sister."

"Sorry baby," she said sitting next to him and rubbing his head. "I thought it would be easier to move away from Germany and the Army."

"Are you going to marry Dr. Brand?"

"I'm not planning on it," she said. "And if it even comes up you will have to give your permission first."

"Good," he smiled. "It's been a long day. I'm going to bed."

"I love you baby."

"I love you too mom."

Danny was brushing his teeth when he heard his cell phone ring. He saw Ellen's caller ID. "Hi."

"It's me Buttons."

"Is she OK?"

"Not really but she wanted me to call and make sure you are alright."

"Can I talk to her?"

"She's in the shower. She found out from her grandmother that her mother is moving back to town and wants to see her again."

"Oh no."

"I know," Buttons said not hearing the bathroom door open or Ellen's footsteps. A wet hand took the phone from her.

"I'm sorry about what happened. My grandmother is really a nice person most of the time."

"I'm OK," he said. "Are you?"

"No, did you tell him?" Ellen looked and saw her friend nod.

"I wish I could be with you," he said. "When you are sad I'm sad."

She smiled. "I'll see you on Monday. My grandma, dad and I have some talking to do tomorrow."

"Good night."

"Good night," she responded. After hearing the click she whispered. "I love you too."

*****

After his mom gave him Maria's phone number the next morning Allan called before Ellen woke up.

"Hello?"

"Maria it's me."

"I wondered how long it would take you. How are you?"

"Please don't ask that," he said trying to stay calm.

"Will you tell me how Ellen is?"

"How do you think she is? Her mother who she loved so much leaves her and only sends a birthday card."

"I need to see her Allan. I have to try and explain."

"Can I hear it too?" he asked. "You walked out on me too."

There was a few seconds of silence. "We both knew that we were not in love. I couldn't live another minute like that."

"But Ellen.."

"I know that I screwed up months after missing her so much. But I couldn't return and face her after what I did. I did it for selfish reasons and hope to god that she can forgive me."

"I don't think she wants to. When Mother told her last night she became as mad as I've ever seen her. I advise you to stay away."

"I can't," Maria said with tears rolling down her cheeks. "I can't."

Allan hung up and sat down. Old memories came up both happy and sad.

It was later that morning that Janet received a call from Allan who invited Danny and her to dinner. "Don't worry my mother will be nice," he said looking at her sitting innocently across the table.

Dinner was quite nice and Shirley put in an extra effort to cook and serve a great meal. She saw Danny outside alone and walked up to him.

"Danny, I'm sorry about what I said yesterday. Sometimes my mouth works before my mind does."

"It's OK. I'm just having a hard time coping without my father around so when someone mentions him it hurts."

"You know my son has always wanted a son. I'm not saying that he could ever come close to filling your dad's shoes but I'm proud to say that he is a pretty nice guy."

"I know and he makes my mom happy."

"And she does the same for him. Can I ask you a favor?"

"Sure."

"Would you call me grandma? I really don't like to be called Mrs. Brand?"

"Sure Grandma," he grinned as he turned and hugged her. He glanced back at the house and saw Ellen smiling in the window.

*****

The next week went by fairly quickly. Allan released Danny a few days early and the coach made him take it easy in practice.

"Well you have the choice of playing second or third," Coach Wright said to him after practice.

"As much as I was happy playing my father's position I'd rather play second."

"I was hoping you would say that. Also, I need to talk to you about what's going to happen when the rest of the world discovers that Josh Upton's kid is playing baseball."

"I don't understand."

Danny your father is a national hero. There probably hasn't been that great an act of patriotism in the US since...since I can't remember. The media will grab onto this story and not stop until you turn into as good a baseball player as your dad was."

Danny smiled. "My dad would be proud if I turned out to be as good as he was."

"Yeah any dad would be proud to have you as a son."

"Thanks coach for warning me but I think I can handle it now."

"A friend of mine who is a big league scout will be here in a few days to watch you during our first scrimmage. You don't have to talk to him if you don't want to."

"I'd like to meet anyone who is a friend of yours," Danny grinned. "I've got to meet someone. Can we talk more tomorrow?"

The coach turned and saw Ellen standing by the backstop. He laughed. "Sure."

"Hi," she smiled as he walked up to kiss her. "What was that all about?"

"He said that the media will go nuts when they find out about me. You know being Josh Upton's son and all."

"Was your dad famous?"

"We need to talk," he said. "Why don't we call our parents and tell them not to expect us for dinner?"

An hour later they sat on the Ellen Maria eating Chinese take-out. "I'll go first," she said. She put down the food and spent the next five minutes telling him how her mother just left one day. "And, now she wants to meet me again. I don't want to meet her."

"Maybe you should. I mean it's all built up inside of you and it bothers you a lot. Maybe you need to let it out even if it means telling her how much she hurt you and how much you hate her."

"I'm not sure if I can look at her again. She hurt me Danny. She hurt me a lot."

"I know." He put down his chopsticks and hugged her. "I'll be there for you."

She smiled and kissed him lightly. "Tell me about your father."

Danny sighed and sat back. "My dad was my life. I can't remember anytime that he was angry with me. I never even thought that he would go away from my life like he did. We were a team. No one can understand what we had. We could look into each others eyes and know what the other one was thinking. I was him and he was me." Danny stopped feeling himself getting choked up.

"They took him from me Ellen. My life stopped when his did. I refused to accept that he was dead until I saw the coffin covered with the flag." Danny's eyes opened up as she patted his back.

"It's ok," she said wiping her eyes. "Tell me everything."

"I quit after that. I didn't play baseball, hang with my friends, or even watch TV. I stayed in my room thinking about him and how much I missed him. It was months before I surfaced again. That's when Lisa came in."

He quickly turned and looked at her. "She made me realize that life continues to go on and that my family and my friends still loved me and wanted me back."

"I'm glad she brought you back," Ellen whispered. "If she didn't I wouldn't be in love like I am now."

Danny wiped his eyes and turned.

"I love you Danny. More than I could ever imagine loving anyone."

"Ellen."

She smiled as her lips moved to his. As they kissed tears fell from both sets of eyes. They both knew that the love they had for each other would get them through what lay ahead.

*****

Danny and the rest of the team were surprised at the huge turnout for just a scrimmage game. The other team was the current state champs and had one of the biggest and fastest pitchers in the state. The Panther's had Jimmy Thompson who was also considered a top prospect pitching and Corey Storm who was being looked at by a few scouts.

Matt sat in the dugout as the two teams warmed up. "Danny come here a second."

Danny ran over and saw the man on the bench. "Yes sir?"

"Danny this is Jim Reynolds. He's the guy I told you about."

"Hello," Danny grinned. "I hope you didn't waste your time coming here."

"I'm sure my time is not wasted," Matt grinned. "How is the arm?"

"Better that before," Danny answered. "I've been working out with a physical therapist and she has made it even stronger."

"That's great," Jim grinned. "Just relax and play your game."

"Thank you sir. Nice to meet you."

Jim sat down. "His dad was the same way. Never said anything bad and always was nice to everyone."

Danny took the field and looked up into the bleachers at his mom sitting next to Dr. Brand. Next to him were Grandma Shirley, Ellen and Buttons. Corey moved next to him at second base as they played the National Anthem. After it was over Corey looked out at the opposing bullpen where the big right hander was throwing. "He likes to come inside with the fast ball and work the outside of the plate with his curve. But with lefthanders he only throws the hard stuff."

"I'll be ready," Danny grinned.

Jimmy struck the first batter out in three pitches and walked the second batter. The next batter was a lefty so Danny moved into the hole between second and first. After a few fouls Danny saw the ball flying off the bat over the pitchers mound. He took off like a shot and saw Corey coming the other way.

Since they had not played together Corey wasn't sure if Danny would cover second so he figured he would have to throw to first. He snagged the ball on the run and saw Danny's hand out. With a quick toss they exchanged the ball.

Danny had only done it once but he remembered it. He grabbed the ball from Corey barehanded and with two large steps touched second base while turning completely around in mid-air to fire the ball to first. His throw beat the runner by a half-step.

"Holy shit," Jim gasped as he quickly stood up in the stands behind the dugout. He picked up his phone and called Yankee Stadium.

The fans were silent at first still trying to believe what they had just seen. It was Janet who stood up and shouted, "That's my BOY!" Suddenly the whole Panther bleachers stood and yelled.

"Where did you learn that?" Corey asked as they ran back to the dugout.

"Learn what?" Danny asked.

Two other scouts were in the stands watching Corey, Jimmy and the other team's pitcher Brad Givens. They picked up their programs and searched for the second baseman's name.

"Who the fuck is Danny Upton?" the one scout asked the other one.

"I got a feeling that we are about to find out."

*****

"Daddy do you know that Danny's father was a really good baseball player?"

"Yeah baby he was one of my favorite players." He held her hand knowing that all of their lives were going to change once the newspapers find out about Danny.

Danny was up third with Corey behind him. Brad Given's struck out the first two Panthers on called third strikes so when Danny walked up he smiled at the big right hander. The pitcher didn't smile back.

"Get a single Danny!" Buttons screamed.

Ellen smacked her arm. "Not a single. A HIT!"

"Aren't they the same?" Buttons asked.

"Yes but we want a bigger hit like a home run."

"HIT A HOME RUN DANNY!"

Danny took the first pitch which was a 90 mile an hour fast ball down the middle. "STEE...RIKE!" The ump yelled.

"Did you see that one?" The smart-ass chubby catcher asked.

Danny kept his focus like his father taught him. "Watch the ball hit the bat," he thought. He knew that he would be coming in again with some heat so he dug in and readied himself.

The catcher put up his mitt to catch the hard fast one but it didn't make it there. The stadium rang from the crack of the ball on Danny's bat. He went with the ball coming down the middle and drove it back over the pitcher's head.

Ellen followed the ball out over second base and lost it in the sun. She saw the centerfielder heading back to the wall. "OH GOD! GO OUT!"

Danny thought it was out as he rounded first base but saw the tall player jump high over the fence. The white ball fell onto the glove but Danny didn't slow down.

"He dropped it," Coach Wright said standing up. "Shit, he's going to third!"

Danny headed to third and saw the third base coach waving him around. He didn't miss a step as the third base became history. He saw the catcher blocking the plate and saw the catcher reach up high to snag the ball. He slid as the catcher was coming down and managed to hook his left foot around the catcher's foot.

"SAFE!" The umpire screamed.

YEAH!" Grandma Shirley screamed. "Kick their asses Danny!"

"Ma sit down," Allan said looking around.

"He just hit a ball 350 feet and scored an inside of the park home run," Jim said into his cell phone. "I think I just found Jeter's replacement."

Danny ran back to the dugout and smacked high fives with his teammates. He hugged the coach and looked out the third base line at a person leaning against the fence. "Shit."

Todd Jenkins stood looking back at him. Todd smiled and gave him thumbs up.

Corey was up next and lined out to the left fielder. For the rest of the game the two pitchers dug in and managed to keep the score the same. Danny got a single in the fifth inning but was stranded on second after stealing the base. It was the top of the last inning with a player on third and one out when the batter hit a soft fly ball down the right field line. It looked like it was going to drop in until Danny dove and caught it before it hit the ground.

The runner on third raced back to the bag and tagged up. He took off as Danny jumped and turned. The ball was a perfect strike to the catcher who turned and smiled as the runner slid into his mitt. Again the fans went wild and Corey smacked Danny on the back as he ran back to his position.

Jimmy struck out the last batter and the team ran in to congratulate him for pitching a shutout. But the hitting star of the game was Danny with two hits, a walk and an inside-the-park home run. After a talk from the coach Danny headed to the group of fans and family behind the dug out. Ellen jumped into his arms as Janet waited her turn. Ellen whispered in his ear and then he did the same to her.

Danny moved to his mother and she whispered as well. "I love you too baby."

"Me too Ma." Danny hugged Buttons and shook Dr. Brand's hand. They all turned and headed towards the parking lot when Dr. Brand and Ellen stopped suddenly.

"What the hell?" Allan gasped.

"What's she doing here?" Ellen stared.

"Who is it?" Janet whispered to Buttons.

"It's Ellen's mom."

A very young blonde-haired boy stood next to her holding her hand.

*****

The End of Chapter Two.

*****

Ending note: I've received so many positive emails for this story that it motivates me to keep writing. Well, Danny and Ellen are in love but both are still troubled from losing a parent. Todd is still hanging around and now Ellen's mother returns. Lisa is about to enter the story and who is that little boy? Again please send me your thoughts and don't forget to vote.

Slickman
Slickman
8,181 Followers