China Doll

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The following Thursday, I was feeling back to normal. I squeezed in a morning jog through the neighborhood before work, glad to be alive. I grabbed the Wallstreet Journal off the driveway and was just inside the front door when I saw the headline in the day's top stories:

<b>Wellington Executive Arrested on Charges of Financial Fraud</b>

I quickly flipped to the related story and continued reading.

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)—In a press release Friday, the Department of Justice reported that Preston Sinclair, an attorney and executive for the Wellington Consulting Group (WCG), was arrested Tuesday under charges that he masterminded a scheme to defraud the firm.

Sinclair, an attorney and certified public accountant, defrauded Wellington by diverting checks and misrepresenting earnings as part of an elaborate cover-up to boost earnings for his division and to realize personal financial gain by diverting funds through a series of overseas bank accounts. The arrest was the culmination of a six month sting operation conducted by Wellington in conjunction with federal authorities. Authorities say Sinclair's scheme, in which he acted alone, was responsible for defrauding the systems consulting company "of millions of dollars".

Detailed charges include one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and wire fraud. If convicted, Sinclair could face a maximum sentence of 60 years imprisonment.

The stock closed on Wednesday at 60 1/8, up 1/4.

I felt like I'd been blindsided by a hit and run driver. This was unbelievable. I knew Preston colored outside the lines, but fraud? I had no idea. Not only that, I was a little disillusioned that Mei Lin hadn't had the courtesy to tell me this was coming, particularly considering that Preston and I were friends. Maybe she thought I would tell him about the investigation, or that he was the prime suspect? I hoped she would give me more credit than that. Whatever the reason, I was again feeling like a pawn and I didn't much like it.

I was on my way to the shower when there was a knock at the door. I opened it to find Mei Lin.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

I held up the paper that was still in my hand. "Well . . . I'm a little shocked, not to mention disappointed that I had read this in the paper instead of hearing it from you, but other than that, I'm fine."

"I've been trying to call you for two days," she said. "You wouldn't answer your phone. I was worried about you."

Her explanation provided some relief. "I had the phone unplugged so I could get some rest. Food poisoning from that crappy Chinese takeout on fifth and Teller Street."

"Yuck . . .that place is gross! There's much better Chinese food in town. You should have asked me."

"New secretary. I asked her to go out and get me something to eat while I worked through lunch. Should have been more specific."

"So you saw the story?"

"Yeah . . . I knew Preston was slick with his numbers, but fraud? I can't believe it. Explains that jet set lifestyle he leads, now doesn't it?"

"It was bad, Jack. We're still not sure exactly how much he got away with. I wanted to tell you sooner, but I had to wait."

"I understand." She stepped inside and I closed the door. "You want some coffee or something?"

"No . . . I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I'm not going into the office any more after Friday. Story will be I have a sick relative and—"

"You're returning to Japan," I said, finishing her sentence.

"On Sunday."

I felt a cold chill pass through my body. "Wow . . . you know, I never thought about you leaving once this investigation was finished? We talked so little about this stuff, I almost forgot about it."

"I have to," she continued. "I could buy some time until my visa expires, but that would generate a lot of questions."

"Will you come back for the trial?"

"Doubtful . . . I won't be testifying. Most of the work I conducted was behind the scenes and the plan is to keep my identity a secret."

"Great," I said.

"It's not like Iwant to go, Jack!"

"I know . . . I know."

We stared at one another, saying nothing. Eventually she came towards me, her arms circling my waist as she buried her cheek against my chest. I squeezed her tight and felt her shoulders begin to shake as she started to cry. I closed my eyes and stared at the ceiling, trying to hold back my own tears. One of us needed to be strong.

"It's going to okay, Mei Lin."

She sniffed and looked up at me, her skin flush and her eyes welling. "I don't want to leave you, Jack."

"And you think I want you to go? What if I got you a job here?

"Have you forgotten they all think I'm a secretary who can't speak English? I'd go insane if I had to keep up that whole act day in and day out."

"It was just a thought." I pulled her close to me and held her tighter. "You leave Sunday?"

She nodded, her cheek scraping my chest.

I reached down and scooped her off the floor and into my arms as I carried towards the bedroom. "Let's make the best of the time we have left."

-=-=

I tried to stay busy the following days. We stayed at Mei Lin's place until the day of her departure with me helping her tie up loose ends. I drove her to the airport not caring who saw us. Watching her leave the boarding area and disappear onto the airplane was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I stayed composed until she was out of sight, then took a seat in the corner and wept like I haven't wept since I was a child. It felt like a piece of my soul had just been lost.

The following week was hectic, made worse by the fact that I was only mentally half there. Diane returned, which helped to bring back normal routines. She kept asking me if I was feeling okay and commented more than once that I seemed different. I assured her all was well.

It was almost the end of a day and I was staring out my office window at the setting sun. In Tokyo, Mei Lin's morning would only be starting. I felt a vacant space in my heart that I wondered if I could ever fill. My eyes went to my monitor and then to a small plaque I have in a frame at the edge of my desk. I've read that plaque a million times before, but at that moment, it was like the first time I really registered the words . . .

What would you give to get what you really want?

Whatwould I give? More important, whatdid really want? I picked up the phone and dialed the number for Human Resources. After a few rings, the head of the department answered. "Human Resources, this is Nancy, how can I help you?"

"Nancy . . . Jack Handee."

"Hey, Jack . . . what's up?"

"Question for you . . ."

"Sure thing."

"That work exchange program the company is using these days for sharing positions over seas?"

"Yeah . . . I know, it didn't work out so well for your secretary."

If she only knew the half of it, I thought.

"That's not why I'm calling. Are Senior Management roles included in the program?"

"Yeah . . . why, you looking to bring somebody over?"

"Actually . . . I'm thinking about myself. I'm thinking I might like to live abroad for a bit, see more of the world."

"Well . . . let me take a look." I heard her typing and then she returned to the phone. "You're in luck. There's a lateral position with your title available in the United Kingdom."

"Hmmmm . . . that's it?"

She was quiet. "Yeah, I'm afraid so. Unless you want to take a step down, there's something in Tokyo, but I don't think you'd be interested in that."

I smiled. "Actually . . . Tokyo this time of year sounds like exactly what I'm looking for."