All Comments on 'Easy for You to Say'

by Just Plain Bob

Sort by:
  • 63 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Yawn

Not your best.

Bebop3Bebop3over 4 years ago
Touching Story, Bob

Ignore the trolls that are only interested in betrayals and btb.

PowersworderPowersworderover 4 years ago

Got to agree with anon, that was pretty dull.

Connie dating those guys when she already decided she wanted to marry Danton made her look like a fickle slut. He should have just fucked her when she offered and moved on.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Love your stuff, Bob....w

but that would have been a 68 yard field goal from the other teams 49 yard line.

About 38 yards longer than they were able to kick in the early 50's. I was there!

5*

The Style GuyThe Style Guyover 4 years ago
Just like the old days...

...with two great JPB stories in one day. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
didn't like it

I don't know. Would that guy really hang around all that time while she ws with Brad and others? Then, when in war getting shot at she thinks it is OK to date? So I am not saying she had sex etc but where is her head? He doesn't need that crap on his mind over seas. So now he marries her. What other weird ideas on fidelity does she have? He is set up for a future of emotional stress and pain.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Thoughts

I realize that this is set back in the 50's, and 27 cents a gallon was a lot of money, but their parents are "extremely" wealthy, to the point that they can give BOTH of their kids their own cars. I don't think the price of gas is going to be much of a factor!

I don't think the draft used numbers during the Korean War.

Nitpick I know, but there's only one 50-yard line, not ours or theirs.

Another nitpick, but even back then, when I believe the goal posts were on the goal line, with the ball on THEIR 49-yard line, it would be a FIFTY-SIX yard attempt! Even the pros wouldn't try that unless down by three or less with no time left. Given the final score, Parker was ahead by four, they'd be punting, not kicking a FG!

"she didn't know what to do" - Maybe stop dating other guys?

Nice HEA.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I liked it.

Even if a bit dull, I liked it and would normally give it 3*. But since it was in LW, and not a cuck story, I gave it 4*.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
@ annon

It would not have been a 68 year field goal. Look back at the video footage from games in that time frame. The goal posts were at the goal line not the back of the endzone. They did move back until the early 60's.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Another good JPB story

I fucked up when I read your first story late last night. But like that story, it took you too long to set the time frame (Korean War) for this story. You needed a prelogue to both stories setting the time frame and indicate that you're in a "Special Event". I didn't realize there was a special event happening. Like your other story, this story belonged in Romance since they aren't married until the last sentence. Still an entertaining read. But even back then nobody would have tried a field goal that long. Hell the Pros today wouldn't try a kick that long. Thanks for the effort but I look forward to your next loving wives story where things go really wrong.

4 stars

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caover 4 years ago
5

Omg... a feel good romance and the good guy gets the babe!!! But... where is Pauline French ... i luv that woman!!😍

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Liked the story

U.S. Army doesn't issue second Purple heart. Second time you are wounded you get Oak Leaf Clusters. The bottom of a soldier's tombstone would read PH & OLC.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Nice story, Bob....

....but, Ford didn't make 283's: GM did..Ford made 289's. 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
why are these in loving wives?

there is no sex, no marriage, no cheating, no husband or wife

4 star romance story

2 star vote for wrong ctegorey

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 4 years ago
Sick nasty story, Bob.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Maybe the nit-pickers outta get a life. "The city limit sign in Podunk in 1945 said 1450, not 1449. What the hell is wrong with you?" Yeah, who gives a fuck? Full marks, Randi.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Its amazing how JPB can write a story where not much happens, with plots he has written about a hundred times, extend it for three pages and still keep my attention.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
LOVING WIVES????????

FILLED WITH SUPERFLUOUS BULLSHIT! BETTER SUITED IN ROMANCE!

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 4 years ago
One of your best.

Good plot, engaging characters and well written. I usually don't nit pic but there was one outstanding mistake that bothered me. The 283 was a Chevy engine, not a Ford and it wasn't available in 49. Sorry I own a Chevelle with that engine.

Good story, happy to see you posting again.

Thank you.

Woodmanone

steeltiger01steeltiger01over 4 years ago

A true rarity: a feel-good, happy ending romance from JPB. I always enjoy our stories, but this one is above and beyond.

Thank you for sharing your talents!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Nice story

Even with the goal posts on the goal line, it would have been 56 yards. Very unlikely for a high school kicker, especially in that era.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Another

Another great JPB story , and two in one day. Enjoyed another military based story about good people. Football and the army have pretty much been my life. I never served in Korea , thank God, but I did visit Seoul and the DMV. It was just too damn cold, and I could only imagine fighting through that. Great story Bob.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Partially Correct about Purple Heart

Anony is correct that the second and subsequent awarding of the Purple Heart decoration is worn as an Oak Leaf Cluster (OLC). However, the (OLC) is a representation of the decoration itself. The paper work and certificate for the decoration is the same whether it be the first, second, or umpteenth time. So for all intents and purposes the member 'receives' the decoration, but not necessarily an additional medal. The main purpose of the OLC is basically reduce repetition of medals/ribbons on the uniform it makes it easier to account for the awards and decs especially on a DD 214.

How decorations are presented is up to the issuing unit. Per service policy, a decoration set is given to the member on first issuance. Additional decoration presentations may be with a medal which is retrieved afterwards while the member still receives the certificate and decoration order (sometimes printed on the certificate). That being said, it's not unusual for additional decoration sets to be given to the member whether it be by error or for some units because they prefer to.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Korea

There were no draft numbers till midway through Vietnam. I know, I was drafted in 1969.

KayaknhKayaknhover 4 years ago
Good story.

Not normally a fan of PJB's protagonists. But these two historical stories were a good read. And with men who understood honor and acted like men. I gave it a 5

And yes there was a Korean War draft. From PBS website:

"1950 - The Korean War draft calls up men between the ages of eighteen-and-a-half and 35 for terms of duty averaging two years. Men who served in World War II do not have to sign up. 1951 - The Universal Military Training and Service Act is passed, requiring males between 18 and 26 to register."

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Comments

@Anonymous Re: "@ annon" - 58 yards/68 yards, either way a high school kicker isn't going to try that kick with a 4-point lead! The winning TD made it 24-21, so Parker was ahead 21-17, no way they try that FG!

@Anonymous Re: Nice story - Yep, no way that FG is tried.

@Anonymous Re: Korea - Yep, that's what I thought.

ForensicFossilForensicFossilover 4 years ago
Like the Korean War Setting

I think the Korean War doesn't get enough attention and media notice as it, and those who fought there, deserve. I was born 5 days before the Inman Gun invaded below the Parallel, and a measure of how things have changed is that my mother was still in the hospital. Then a week was the usual stay for a routine birth. Nowadays she would have been out after 24 hours!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
...

What shit-ass twatwaffle left ? as �, needs a good swift kick.

enderlocke27enderlocke27over 4 years ago
hmm

them 2 stories would have been cool if they were personally linked in some way lol ty for the read

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Well well...

It's me Jedd Clampett (carvohi); out of town and on somebody else's computer. I've got some comments!

One, this IS a Loving Wives story. His girl may have had a minor slip, but she was steadfast when it mattered. She became a true loving wife.

Two, draft numbers or not I knew JPB was a real man. Like his dad in the story said, "You've got to do your duty." I did my duty!

Third, I dropped out of high school so the whole football thing was just so much bullshit. The competition with Brad could have been over a chess competition as far as I'm concerned.

Last, like other comment writers have said, most of the complaints were just trite. Don't like the story? Write one of your own. Come on, this story was damned expensive, cost me hundreds of dollars.

And an extra last. I remember coming home in 1965, being discharged at Fort Holabird. Gas was still twenty--seven cents a gallon, and it was a much higher octane.

Oh and an extra last thing. The car to have in the 1950's into the 1960's was the 1955-1956 Chevy. They took them all on.

Thanks Bob. You're the G.O.A.T.

Jedd Clampett (carvohi)

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110over 4 years ago
Bob has done it again!

It looks like an even split of negative and positive reviews. That means that you hit the spot. Great story! Don't you just love young love.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 4 years ago
Sweet story Bob.

Thanks!

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyover 4 years ago
Well done as usual!

Interesting two stories along same timeline. Is there a invitational contest going on I am not aware. Either way well written and a pleasure to read. Definitely goes along with what I have heard stories of soldiers been there and read about the Korean War.

Please do keep writing and I will keep reading.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 4 years ago
Aww that was sweet

I was sure that this was going to be a story of regrets, especially when he was thought to be dead for three weeks, but Bob pulled it around.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
usual crap

>A week's worth of dates with Connie? I'd never even had one. I must have asked her at least a hundred times and was turned down every time.

That's your problem, dude. I didn't get past this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
"Sweet"

But somewhat disappointing. I would have liked it better if when he got home Connie had assured him the dating hadn't gone far, and he married her, then discovered she was no longer a virgin on their honeymoon. Eventually he finds out she is still cheating with some guy and he divorces her. It certainly would have been a more traditional JPB story, and, I believe, a more interesting and rewarding story for the readers. But thanks for posting.

jerrys1jerrys1over 4 years ago
Cool

Not at all what I expected. Not disappointing at all. Just shows the care and compassion of the generation. Something that it appears some readers never had. Thanks Bob from a Vet.

FirstBorn374FirstBorn374about 4 years ago
Bang!

Wonderful story. Maybe not exactly a loving wives tale, but who cares.

Jedd Clampett (carvohi)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Not This Guys Best Story

Once Connie started Dating other Guys I would have kicked her to the Curb .. So Much for being Faithful ..I would have gotten that ring back als

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Uh!

He was going to university so why would he be drafted?

KRD19254KRD19254over 3 years ago

Whoa, wait one darn second. Denton's father and future father-in-law stopped their virtual elopement due to he might not come back from war. But his future father-in-law did not give a shit Connie was dating while engaged to a soldier nor gave Connie holy-hell for dating; what is Denton marrying into a family of spoiled hypocrites??? [Only combat Vet L readers will understand what having a girl/fiancee/wife/kids waiting for you at home means to Vets under fire. Our primary goal is to get home - alive.] Alice sure was not watching her brothers back very good or smartly. I wonder if Connie dated Brad, again, while Denton was being shot? Denton was love blind but should have kicked Connie and her family into the rear view mirror.

/

Wonder what type of remorse Connie will have seeing Denton's scars and dual Purple Hearts? I've seen guys walk into enemy fire to commit suicide after getting a quasi-dear-john.

/

My uncle went to Korea and survived in the front line of the Christmas Chink blitz, barely. I never understood why he hated Koreans and my WWII father-in-law hated Japs until I went to Vietnam - now I see the reasons and respect their attitudes. When you can never trust indigenous civilians it adds another layer of continuous fear.

/

3* due to the serious fiancee miss, Hooyah, salute.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

May be I am mistaken. 30s jeep 50 on Duce an a half. LOVE. Slap hapy papy #9

WillowghbyWillowghbyabout 3 years ago
Ahem!

Fellow commenters, when correcting the author on his technical nits, it would be prudent to double check YOUR facts. Yes, 283 is a GM engine size and 289 is a Ford engine size. However, neither was available in the story's time frame. Stock Ford engines at the time were 226 CID (3.7 L) L-head I-6 or 239 CID (3.9 L) Flathead V-8 100 HP. I currently own one of the latter in my 1951 Lincoln Sportster and I can assure you it is not miserly on gasoline consumption, even at $3.50 a gallon.

Meanwhile, a nice Romance story.

Keep 'em comin'.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I went to a Party and saw My Cousins wife Kissing another guy . He was in desert Storm serving our country and she was serving some guy at a Party . I waited until He got home then I told him what I had seen at the Party . She was catholic and guess what 3 months pregnant . My cousin dodged a bullet on that one

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I had the same experience in a way. I went to Vietnam, got wounded after almost a year was sent back to the states where my high school girlfriend came to the hospital I was at, she kept saying we had to get married. I told her we had to wait and see what the Army was going to do, either let me finish my recovery or medically discharge me.. She stated we couldn't wait, she was 5 months pregnant, I then told her there,is alot of things you can do thru the mail, but getting pregnant was Not one of them "Goodbye bitch".

dark2donut2dark2donut2almost 3 years ago

Uplifting story but it is in wrong category. JPB, every now and then, post really good stories. Nothing special, just real life thing from the bygone times. Very nostalgic.

jimjam69jimjam69over 2 years ago

Kind of an atypical war story with a plus ending. Many were not so wonderful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

NOBODY goes for a field goal from the 49 yard line. And after he finished his tour in Korea, took 30 days of leave, why wasn't he "out"? Why was this in Loving Wives? And why wasn't he expelled and kicked off the team for fighting?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story simply told. Enjoyed it but was expecting a sting in the tail! Good work

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A really great well written throughly enjoyable story that touched all of our senses and our hearts.

Thank you.

A story that is complete and has a beautiful forever and ever ending.

Thank you again.

SW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Very nice story and well told. You have talent that I don't. Thanks for a good read.

TheGreyWolf81TheGreyWolf81almost 2 years ago

Truly, a good and well-written tale!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I mean she's a slut .

He married her .

He knows what's in his future .

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The first question I have, is she still a virgin before the wedding?

JH4FunJH4Funover 1 year ago
Good Read ⭐⭐⭐

As I read this I could feel for those who served in Korean War. I spent a couple of years as a government civilian (DOD Civilian) working in Seoul, Republic of Korea (South Korea). It was a great government tour of duty. I also was blessed to meet several Korean War veterans both ROK military and United Nations Troops. To meet these men was an honor. Seeing the photos from the time sets your mental state back a few years when you see there is limited to no foliage (trees or overgrowth). Because during WWII the Japanese stripped the land of all the trees to be sent to Japan for building materials. This made the conditions of the nation a military person’s nightmare. There was limit cover for those transiting with supplies from the port of Pusan/Busan (Americans never called Korean city by the correct name until the early 2000’s).

With all that being said, this story was well written. It completed the flow from being a High School to soldier, with descriptions of war just like those who served in Korea told. No blood and guts, just the minimum amount of information keeping everything inside. Both WWII and Korean War veterans keep their burden of war inside. The fact that she took it so hard to closed up with her emotions and shock. Most people would not know how to deal with the notification of death. This was realistic depiction.

Inadvertent were facts of life during the war many families received the telegrams from Western Union saying their loved ones had died. It wasn’t until the Vietnam war that the Military sent personnel to homes for notification, instead of a telegram from Western Union delivered by a Western Union employee.

I really enjoyed the ending. But you are going to hear this a lot. “FTDS,” you started it and left it hanging. To me it was good read. Thank you for writing it.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

He should not have reunited with Connie when he returned from Korea. She was running around on him and based on how Connie treated him in school and her statement to Alice that Rob would have to remove the ring from her finger himself instead of returning it to his family, she clearly does not respect Rob. After leaving the Army, Rob would be better off attending college out of state, dating other women, and giving them an open and honest chance at a relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A story of young love. Not really a LW story, but pretty good.

rn2711rn2711about 1 year ago

I think the story belongs to Romance.

DuncanitaDuncanitaabout 1 year ago

Hotdangit i liked this one! Romance is good!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Real slice of life. And life is seldom logical. It just happens.

RuttweilerRuttweiler11 months ago
Not bad.

Shows more originality in plot.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Read about half the first page and bailed. Sorry, JPB, probably another one of your great stories but I just can’t do stories about high school kids. Yeah, they may be eighteen but if they’re still in high school then they’re still kids to me. I’ll try to catch the next one.

No vote

TexMan1970TexMan19703 months ago

JPB I want you to know I like most of your stories. I have learned to accept that you don't always "finish" the stories you write and I pretty much follow your suggestion to finish the story with the results that I would prefer. Thanks for your hard work!

MartyMartiniMartyMartini1 day ago

He should have checked any sign of a baby bump first.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust Plain Bob@Just Plain Bob
Just a Dirty Old Man (of course I have been one since I was thirteen)who likes to write about the things that I've seen and been exposed to in my life. There is a little bit of me in almost all of my stories and in some of them there is quite a lot. I leave it to the reader ...

SIMILAR Stories