Heroism - the Oggbashan Memorial Event - Coming Soon

Story Info
An open story challenge centered on heroes, both near and far.
740 words
9.3k
5

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 07/14/2023
Created 07/05/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Literotica
Literotica
2,156 Followers

One of Literotica's longest-standing authors Oggbashan (also affectionately and familiarly known as "Ogg") has passed away after a long, hard-fought battle with cancer.

Over his two decades at Literotica, Ogg was not only a prolific writer of tales, but also a mentor, friend, and role model. To celebrate his life and his impact on those around him – and also to recognize the impact of heroes in all of our lives - we've created the Heroism - the Oggbashan Memorial Event.

Here's more on the event from organizer TarnishedPenny:


David Harris, onetime husband of Joan Baez, said that there are two types of public figures - idols and heroes. Idols, he said, show us our limitations. Few of us can realistically aspire to be a supermodel, an A-List actor or an Olympic athlete. Such people exist in a sense almost as a negation of the rest of us.

On the other hand, Harris said, there are heroes, “something that teaches people what they can be… an available model that doesn't exist as something that’s impossible to reach, but really exists as the embodiment of what everybody could be.”

Some types of heroism are easy to recognize - the kind of white-hot bravery, for instance, that sends a perfect stranger running into a burning house to save another’s children. There’s the selfless devotion demonstrated by medical staff and first responders during the scariest height of the pandemic. There’s the moral and physical courage of a 5’ 3” woman refusing to support an unjust society by sitting in the back of an Alabama bus. ’Thank you’ just doesn’t cut it in such cases.

There’s also a more subtle type of heroism, a quiet, stubborn refusal to bow to ill fate or to surrender in the face of fearful odds, be it a poor widow fighting to keep her children fed or, in our case, a good man stubbornly refusing to do the expected, to simply give up and let cancer overwhelm him. For those who didn't know, Ogg died quietly in his bed on 30 May. He specifically requested that this event be postponed until after his death.

With his example in mind, I have been specifically requested to entitle this the ‘Heroism - the Oggbashan Memorial Event’, an annual tribute to a man too damned stubborn to bow to life’s bitter sentences, too proud to stay silent and too full of life to simply fade away. Thank you, Ogg. We miss you.

This event is open to all. Stories and essays may be of any length over 750 words and may be on any theme, erotic or non-erotic. As well as descriptions of heroic acts, discussions and insights about the meaning and importance of heroism in today's world are encouraged.


This event is an Open Challenge. It is not a contest or competition, but an opportunity to create and share tales of both exceptional human beings and the strength of everyday human beings in exceptional situations. All authors are welcome - new and established, all categories of stories welcome.

Please read all the rules and guidelines to make sure your work is included in this special challenge.

Heroism - the Oggbashan Memorial Event

Open to all authors provided they read and understand the concept.
organizer: TarnishedPenny
submission your story: before July 13th, 2023
challenge date: July 14th, 2023

Rules & Guidelines

• Your essay or fictional story should be about heroes or heroism and what the terms can mean.
• All the usual Literotica Publishing Guidelines and Content Guidelines apply.
• You must include the phrase "OGGBASHAN MEMORIAL EVENT 2023" in the "Notes to Admin" field so that Lit can find the stories and add them to the challenge.

Please visit the Heroism - the Oggbashan Memorial Event Support Thread if you have questions, need clarification, or just want to discuss the event with the participating authors.

If you've got an idea for a themed writing challenge, feel free to contact us anytime.

If you're looking for a fun way to stretch your skills, check out our list of current author-organized challenges.

A special thank-you to TarnishedPenny for creating and organizing this fun event, and to all the authors and readers of Literotica who make up this very special community.

Literotica
Literotica
2,156 Followers
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
5 Comments
Lovecraft_LoreLovecraft_Lore9 months ago

RIP Ogg, you will be missed.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago
Thank you for the celebration of Ogg

Years ago the television and internet went out for a prolongued period in bad weather in the remote-ish area I lived. I went into town to download e-books from the internet at my local library. In my quest for light romantic stories the search engine brought me Halloween Viking. I had never read a short story so funny and so complete. And I was hooked as reader here. I'm sure Ogg is often misunderstood, to me he is the master of the funny, sometimes lightly sarcastic, romantic, short-to the point story creators. I find myself going back to his stories so often. There are quite a few great writers here and I feel privileged that I am allowed to read their creations. But Ogg got me here. Thank you Ogg; R.I.P. Thank you TarnishedPenny for this event!

Smiffy69Smiffy6910 months ago

Sad to hear about Ogg. Always enjoyed his stories.

LIDiverLIDiver10 months ago

Very thoughtful, well done.

FifthEstateFifthEstate10 months ago

Great gesture TP and LitE!

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Lie To Me: An Author-Organized Challenge Read tales of star-crossed lovers whose lives are complicated by a lie.in Loving Wives
Wicked Games: The Stories Read the tales of falling in love with someone you shouldn't.in Loving Wives
Who is the Real Luke Davis? A babysitter, a single dad, fantasies, and secrets.in Mature
Return to Anzio The reunion brought Mike back to Anzio and to love.in Mature
Take It on the Run: An Author Challenge Invitational Do it, and just be prepared for the ride, wherever it takes you.in Loving Wives
More Stories