HOA

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He's my best buddy, that's for sure," Ken said as Hank laid back down.

"I'll get that prescription for you then I should be able to leave in less than ten minutes, if that's okay. If not, I can meet you at the house."

"I can wait. Take your time. I'm done for the day myself, so I'm all yours until the job is done."

"Oh, gee. Lucky you, huh?" Valerie said in a slightly self-deprecating sort of way about her being 'all his' comment.

Ken laughed then told her he didn't think it would be all that bad.

"Well, the good news is you won't have to find out," Valerie told him, her happy smile back. "I'll be back in a jiffy, okay?"

When she walked out, she left the door open, and Ken leaned down and told Hank, "What do you think, buddy? She's nice and I'd say, downright pretty, huh?"

Ken had no idea the computer Valerie used to enter prescriptions was just a couple of feet out of sight. She, as well as Emma, both overhead.

Emma smiled and made 'goo-goo' eyes at Dr. Eimann who rolled hers and said, "Yeah, right. As if."

"He's really cute," her tech said very quietly.

"And he's also a patient," Valerie politely reminded her. "And...very young."

Unlike the girl out front who Valerie knew quite well to be a huge flirt, Emma was not, so the occasional comment from her was just fine. And this case, she happened to be right. Ken was even better looking in person than the old, blurry photo he was using on the site.

Valerie hit 'print' then picked up the prescription, signed it, and walked back into the room.

"Okay. This has five refills on it, so it'll hold you for several months."

She didn't need to mention 'if you need it that long', and Ken thanked her sincerely.

"Okay. I'm ready to go if you are," she said, knowing Ken was waiting on her.

"You bet. Let me help this guy stand up and..."

"Wait. Hold on," Valerie said. She was only out for a few seconds then came back into the room.

"How about this?" she said, showing him what looked like some kind of harness.

"If Hank will leave it on, you can grab this handle on top and help lift his rear end up whenever you see him trying to stand."

"Nifty," Ken said as he checked it out. "Yeah. Let's give this a try."

Valerie bent down to help him get the harness around the back end of Hank's body, and there was a brief moment when their hands touched.

"Sorry!" Valerie said immediately.

"No problem. I just hope this works."

Hank had to be rolled over, but they got it on him then gently cinched it up being careful to avoid the huge, floppy mass just in front of it.

"Okay. All set!" Valerie said as she stepped back.

"Come on, boy!" Ken said.

As Hank struggled to get his tired, old rear legs under his body, Ken grabbed the handle and gently lifted him up. Hank shifted his weight forward and just like that he was on on fours without any undue strain.

"I like it," Ken said. "How much is this?"

"I had an extra one laying around. If it helps, that's payment enough."

"Are you're sure?"

"I am," Valerie said with that same happy smile. "So...I go out the back. I'll drive around and wait for you. Again, if that's okay."

"Sure. I'll need some time to get the big guy in the truck so that sounds perfect."

"All right. I'll see you both out front then," she told him as she watched Ken grab one of the mats.

"On second thought, let me give you a hand," she said.

"No. I got it," he insisted, even though doing alone was anything but easy.

"It's no problem at all," she told him with that incredibly cute smile of hers.

Valerie grabbed the spare mat and laid it down in front of Hank then picked up the new rear mat and repeated the process until they got outside and off the tile floor.

Hank weighed nearly 90 pounds, and while Ken could easily pick him up, he readily accepted Valerie' offer to help get him up and in the cab. The harness helped out a lot, so with her to help out, Ken got the 'big bruiser' up there without much difficulty.

"Okay, now I'll head around back," she said with a laugh as Hank sat up and started looking out the side window.

Valerie led them to Jayden's school where aftercare was just closing. It was really a fancy name for babysitting, but at nine, kids didn't much care for that word. They stayed outside playing games when the weather permitted, so it wasn't just sitting in a classroom watching movies. And the price was definitely right and since it was on the way home it was very convenient to swing by and pick him up.

Valerie walked her son over to Ken's truck then introduced her son to Ken and why he was coming over.

"Hi, Jayden. I hope you don't hate me for being the bad guy, but..."

"No. It's okay. The HOA is always doing something to mess things up," Jayden told him, sounding more like a little man than a boy.

"I'm really sorry. I wish I didn't have to take it down at all."

By the time they got to Valerie's, Ken got out and said, "You know what? I played basketball in high school, and if you want to maybe play a little before we take it down, would that be okay?"

He was talking to Jayden but really asking his mom.

"That would be wonderful. If you have the time," she told him.

"I've got time," Ken told her with a smile.

"I'll go grab the ball!" Jayden said as he ran inside to get it.

"You just made his day," Valerie said. "Thank you for doing this. Well, both things."

"I'm glad to. I don't get to play much anymore, but I still love the game."

"I'm terrible at sports. I run, bicycle, and swim, but I don't play anything that requires a ball, and if you ever see me try, you'll know why."

Ken laughed and said he understood.

"I'm too busy working to do anything other than ride a stationary bike these days myself. I'm pretty good about getting on it every other day or so, but that's about it."

"Well, you're obviously in very good shape," Valerie said not wanting to admit she'd noticed more than once.

"The same goes for you. I can tell you take really good care of yourself."

Before she could reply, Jayden came back outside, and Ken said, "Hit me! I'm open."

Jayden passed him the ball, and Ken fired off a 12-foot jump shot.

"Nothing but net!" Jayden said when it swished. "Nice shot!"

"Pure luck," Ken said as he grabbed the ball then passed it to Jayden.

Ken watched him shoot then said, "Is it okay if I make a suggestion?"

"Sure," the boy told him.

Ken showed him how to hold the ball over his forehead and use his right hand to guide the ball rather than throwing it up with both hands.

"Like this," Ken said as he demonstrated in slow motion.

"Oh, okay. I can do that!" Jayden said.

The first time he tried it, the ball felt heavier than it did when he used both hands, and it fell woefully short.

"No problem! Jump shots take some practice. Don't let that bother you at all, okay?"

Jayden tried again, and this time he hit the rim then grabbed his own rebound and shot a third time. It also hit the rim, bounced up, then fell in.

"Yeah! Nice shot, dude!" Ken hollered with a smile as he offered the boy a high five.

Valerie couldn't stop smiling herself because her son hadn't stopped smiling, something she hadn't seen in a very long time.

"Can we play HORSE?" Jayden asked after a few minutes of shooting.

"Yeah, sure. Let's do it," Ken said.

"Mom! Come on. Play with us!"

"Oh, I don't know, honey. I'm such a klutz."

"No you're not! You beat me all the time," he reminded her.

"Yeah, Mom. Come on," Ken teased.

Valerie was trying not to notice, but Ken looked to around six feet tall and had very nice, very dark hair. He had a couple days growth of dark stubble on his face, a look she normally didn't care for, but it looked good on his already handsome face. Very good, in fact. She wondered if he might have also worn braces because his smile was as perfect as hers. Lastly, while he wasn't overly muscular like a bodybuilder, he was very fit and possibly even 'ripped' making her wonder if that was just from work or if he might also be a fitness nut like her in spite of his claims to the contrary.

"Well, okay," she said rather sheepishly.

"Ladies first, right?" Ken said as he handed the ball to Valerie.

"Right!" Jayden agreed. "Go ahead, Mom!"

She held the ball up like she was going to try a jump shot then realized there was no way the ball was going anywhere near the basket like that. So she turned around, looked over her head at the basket, then tossed the ball up and behind her. Unbelievably, it hit the backboard and banked in.

"See! I told you!" Jayden called out as his mom covered her mouth as she laughed.

"You didn't tell me you were a pro," Ken teased as he grabbed the ball.

"Pro. Ha!" she said with a happy smile.

"Okay, big man. Your shot."

Hank started barking so Ken asked if he could let him out.

"He may um...poop in your yard," he warned.

"That's what dogs do," she said. "And by 'do' I mean..."

Ken gave her a pained look then laughed.

"Don't quit your day job, okay, Doc?"

"No. I won't. I promise," she said with a laugh as Jayden wildly threw the ball up the air.

His shot went completely over the backboard and bounced around on the roof then rolled back down.

"No big deal! You'll get it next time," Ken said as he tried to imitate the shot.

He missed, too, but the ball did hit the rim before bouncing away.

"The guys are BEHIND!" Ken told Jayden as he walked over and let Hank out using the new harness to help soften the impact.

"We'll still win!" the nine-year old told him.

In the end, it was obvious why someone won, as Ken missed several easy shots so that Jayden would be the winner, but it was subtle enough that only his mom noticed.

When the game ended, Jayden was bummed out knowing the backboard had to come down.

Ken walked over to Valerie and quietly said, "I really enjoyed playing, and I wouldn't mind coming back and playing a few more times before the deadline."

She looked up at him—way up at him—then said, "You don't have to that, Ken. Thank you for offering, though."

"No, I'd really like to. If it's okay with you, of course."

"Really? You don't mind?" she asked, needing to be sure.

"Really. I had a lot of fun, and it's obvious Jayden did, too."

"That would be...incredible," she told him. "And I can't thank you enough."

Valerie wasn't a crier, but she was tearing up just thinking about her ex and how he'd never take the time to do that even if he still lived there. And here was a near-total stranger offering to spend his valuable time with her son doing something he very much enjoyed.

"No need. Just the chance to play some ball is thanks enough," he told her. "Oh. Would it be okay if I brought Hank with me? He comes along on my jobs and lays in the truck all day, and I hate leaving him home alone even for a couple of hours."

"Oh, that's absolutely okay. I don't just care for animals, I love them," she said with a smile.

"I thought that was the case, but I wanted to ask, because..."

He nodded toward Hank who was squatting down doing his business.

Valerie laughed as Ken said, "I carry plastic bags for that very reason."

He grabbed one out of his truck then went over and took care of the 'tracks' his dog had laid in the yard. He tied the bag off and tossed it in the back of his truck.

"I guess I should get going," he said after walking back over to where Valerie was standing.

She saw the disappointment on her son's face when Ken said, "Hey. How about this? I can come back tomorrow and do this again if you want."

Jayden's eyes opened wide as he said, "Seriously?"

"Yeah. Sure. If you want me to, of course."

"Heck, yeah!" the boy said.

"Great. Then I'll see you...both...tomorrow."

Valerie walked over to the truck with him and helped him get Hank-the-Tank back in the truck.

"Thank you again," she told him again sincerely.

"My pleasure," Ken assured her. "And thank you for this harness. This thing is really great."

"Oh, sure. I'm just glad it's working for him," she replied.

"Same time tomorrow?" Ken asked.

"Um...maybe fifteen minutes later?" Valerie suggested.

"I'll be here," he told her, still smiling.

"I'm looking forward to it," she said sweetly.

As Ken backed out of the driveway, Valerie waved to him, and he couldn't help but think of her as a doll. A very cute, very attractive doll. He'd gone out with a girl a couple of times who was just over five-feet tall and remembered it being a very pleasant experience in spite of being a little awkward to kiss her. At least when he was standing up, anyway.

He waved back, hollered out, "See ya later!", then drove off.

As he headed down the road, he realized he was still smiling and said to himself, "That girl is...beautiful."

When Valerie turned around after Ken disappeared from sight, Jayden was right there and startled her.

"Don't do that!" she said as she clutched her chest.

"I do that a lot, huh, Mom?" he said with a smile.

Valerie put her arm around him then said, "Let's go get something to eat. What do you say?"

"I say...yes!" Jayden told her.

"Did you have fun?"

"Mom. That was the BEST!" he told her.

"Yeah. That was fun, huh?"

"I can't wait until he comes back again tomorrow."

"Yeah, that will be nice, won't it?" his mom agreed.

When Valerie left work the following evening, she let her hair down and brushed it out before leaving.

"You got a date or something?" Emma asked with a smile.

"It's the 'or something' thing," Valerie told her.

"Oh. Okay. Is the 'or something' close to a date?"

"No. I don't think so."

"Sounds like you might not mind if it was though," her tech told her.

"Hmmm. You know, I suppose it's at least possible you're right," Valerie admitted without explanation.

Having said it out loud, she now asked herself if perhaps that was the reason she let her hair down, as though she didn't already know for sure why she had. After all, that was something she'd never done before, and the only thing that was different was that she'd be seeing Ken in a few minutes.

On the way home, Jayden talked non-stop about his new best friend who wasn't a boy at school.

"Will Ken be there when we get home? Do you think he'll want to play HORSE again? Hey, maybe we could play 21 instead. Or both!"

His mom never answered a single question because her son didn't give her the time to do so. So while she didn't speak, Valerie did smile—a lot.

Both of them were surprised, but for very different reasons, when they saw his truck pulled up next to the curb in front of their house.

"Mom! Look!" Jayden said, well after she'd already spotted it.

"Oh, right. Looks like he's early or we're late," she replied as she checked the digital clock on the dashboard.

The car barely stopped before Jayden threw off his seat belt and bolted for Ken's truck.

Ken was getting out as Jayden ran up. He stopped short but never stopped smiling.

"Come here, dude!" Ken said as he reached out for a hug.

Jayden didn't hesitate for a second. He accepted the hug and gave one back just as his mother walked up.

"Hi, there," Valerie said. She was already smiling from watching 'the hug', and Ken noticed that she noticed.

"Hi," Ken said back.

His smile broadened as he said, "Your hair is down. It looks nice."

"Oh. Right. I...forgot all about that," she said, wondering why she wasn't fessing up and telling the truth.

"Can you give me a hand with Big Hank?" he asked, suddenly changing the subject.

"Oh, sure. I'd be happy to."

Ken could get Hank down by himself, but Valerie didn't mind standing next to him in the least, 'just in case'. Ken reached up and grabbed the handle on the harness, then put one arm underneath his front legs and lowered his best friend to the ground.

His limp looked better, and Valerie said it looked like the pain medication was helping.

"You know, I think you're right," Ken said as Hank romped around the yard.

"It should. Tramadol is mild, synthetic opioid used to treat moderate pain in humans, and its very effective in dogs. It looks like he's in a lot less pain."

"I agree," Ken said. "Thanks again."

"Oh, sure. That's the thing I love the most about being a vet," Valerie told him.

Jayden was just coming out with the basketball, but the adults were still by the truck when Ken said, "I'm impressed. You're not only a beautiful woman, Valerie, you're kind and caring, too."

She was looking up at Ken when he said it, and before she could reply, he smiled then moved to the side and hollered, "Take the shot!" to Jayden.

He was about six feet from the basket when he fired off his best jump shot. For the first time since he learned to shoot a jumper, the ball swished through the net.

"Ah, yes! Nothing but net, my man!" Ken yelled as he ran for the ball.

Jayden got there at the same time, but Ken grabbed it then dribbled away.

"Show me what you got on defense," he said as Jayden tried to check him.

Ken hitched then head faked, and Jayden fell for it completely as the older man easily went around him and laid it in.

"Nice move!" Jayden said.

"Mind if I give you some more pointers?"

Ken showed Jayden how to set his feet and move laterally without crossing one foot over the other.

"As soon as you cross your feet, the guy with the ball is gone," Ken explained.

"So I shuffle? Like this?" Jayden said, trying to imitate what his new mentor had just shown him.

"Not bad, but try this," Ken said as he showed the difference. "And keep your hands out away from your side for better balance. Also, you'll be more ready to swat the ball away if you get the chance."

Just those small tips improved Jayden's games quite a bit. He was way, way too short to defend against Ken, who was still a pretty decent player for a guy his age. But all that mattered was helping this young man and spending some time with him, so Ken never poured it on nor did he ever block any of Jayden's shots.

Valerie pulled a lawn chair out of the garage and was content to sit and watch and secretly happy no one asked her to play. As she sat there she thought about high school and knew she could have been a cheerleader if she'd wanted to. But even back then she thought the whole thing was silly and little more than a popularity contest. Instead, she'd chosen to focus on her grades, and in the long run, it had paid off for her, and even now she didn't regret not doing the 'rah, rah, sis boom, bah!' thing.

"Nice shot, Jay-Bird!" she called out after her son made a shot, drawing an immediate rebuke from him.

"Mom? What the hay?"

"Oops. Sorry! That is not something I've called you since you were a ba...little boy," she called back, expecting another complaint, because she'd called him that all his life.

"Whatever!" her son said without judgment as he passed the ball to Ken who made a 15-foot shot.

About 30 minutes later, Ken suggested it might be time for his new best friend, and his mother, to go inside and eat.

"Ahh! Can't we play just five more minutes?" he begged.

Ken glanced at his mother who shrugged and smiled.

"Okay. Five more minutes it is," Ken agreed.

The time flew by and Jayden was still disappointed.

"Sorry, buddy. You gotta eat, and I'm gettin' a little hungry myself. Plus, Hank's gotta chow down, too."

"Okay," the boy said with a hangdog look.

"Ken?" Valerie said.

"Uh-huh?"

He could tell she wanted him to walk over to her so he handed the ball to Jayden then ambled her way.

"You'd be welcome to have dinner with us. I mean, if you wouldn't mind. You might be tired of us by..."

"Sure. I'd like that. Just let me go home and shower and change clothes, okay?"

Pleasantly surprised, Valerie told him, "And of course you can bring Hank with you. He's more than welcome to come inside."