All Comments on 'Luther's Wars'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 226 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 2 years ago

Outstanding story!

5

Ekim730Ekim730about 2 years ago

As always, love the story. Did MSgt Benavidez receive the Medal?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

A quick look into the past, people talked about with reverence, a flame that is still alive in special groups that is kept hidden from the masses. Few are honored and at that time all rejected by a nation of children that still feed off the nipple of mommy and daddy! Thank you for another great story.

AbovethecircleAbovethecircleabout 2 years ago

Damn, this is good!!! Makes my week every time I fire up a Todd172 tale! Double 5!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Haven't got the words to describe how I feel about this story. Felt like it took me back into a time long since passed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Wow. Just wow. Thank you, and The Missus. Another classic to go on the pile.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxabout 2 years ago

Fuck!! You yanked me back to memories I have tried to bury for 52 years. I hope I can sleep okay tonight. Fuck

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithabout 2 years ago

Wow that was great!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

You talk the talk very well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Another masterpiece, thank you for blessing us with your (you and the missus) talebt for writing such compelling stories.

texquilltexquillabout 2 years ago

Another outstanding work! After your almost 6-month hiatus, I was concerned that you and the missus had found another sandbox to play in! As always, thanks for sharing this more-than five-star effort..

wolftrapwolftrapabout 2 years ago

Thanks Todd and your missus. Your stories are captivating, informative and just plain great. Please keep sharing. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago
Awesome story (5 Stars)

I don't know why this was in LW.

However, I loved the story. It brought back memories of some stories my Navy/Marine friends told me while I was in service and you see it in their eyes. As they talked about their time there, the friends, the enemies and what it did to them. They served in country during the mid to late 60's and early 70's with Spec-Ops and Intel. I was told they never talked to many people about those times so people were shocked to here they talked with me about. They would always ask what they said. The only response I gave was, "Ask them, If they want it told they will let you know what they want to tell you."

I always wondered how much was BS until I met a retired Army Colonel who was work with Phoenix Program, while I was working in South Korea (2003 - 2005). We had some talks about his time there from 62 to 72 (yes 62 - 65 as an advisor 66 - 72 Spec Projects). He knew some of the same people I had known while I was in the Navy. No I had no military combat (it was cold war time for me I entered service 75). It was funny seeing some of this story. It made me think of the songs, "Robert Mitchum's The Ballad of Thunder Road, Charlie Daniels Still in Saigon, and Steve Earle's' Copperhead Road."

I gave it 5 stars because it made me smile remembering some great friends and mentors.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Love ya'll's stories, like finding a diamond in a coal mine. Question, most tours over there were 12 mths. I'm guessin spec forces not so much? Many thanks to you and the Missus, the shit ya'll put down doesn't suck and I've read it all. And you gotta LOVE a girl who's into creating this stuff. Here's to the meanest SOB in the valley. Till next time.

Frank66Frank66about 2 years ago

Don't mean to sound like a suck-up here, but I think Todd must be a modern day Louis L'Amour. Such a story teller. Lets us city folks enter into a world we'd never know about. I was going to add one word of criticism; that of there being no Thugbunny in this story, until I finally figured out that her cousin was there in the form of Mattie/Mae. Thanks much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Awesome as always. Thank you once again..

Lector77Lector77about 2 years ago

Fine storytelling. You and yours plot and write well. Makes it easy for me to be a happy reader.

Thanks.

CSD2CSD2about 2 years ago

Thank you for making me late for work. No way could wait until after work to read this.

Worth it!

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimabout 2 years ago

@Anonymous

Awesome story (5 Stars)

I don't know why this was in LW.

No hassle, just an explanation. Todd172 posted his first story in LW because it had an important element of that in it. And now he posts all of his work here because that's the first place most of his readers go first to look and see whether he has posted yet another classic. It makes them easier to spot, and very few people think that's a bad thing. He and the Missus come up with stunning stories that make another day just a little more liveable.

And it's always appreciated. 5*

SDN1955SDN1955about 2 years ago

Excellent story. Was very easy to get wrapped up in it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nothing this guy has ever written belongs in loving wives. Non-erotic has its own category.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Damn Todd. Another morning seriously compromised.

Saw you had posted another story and said 'what the hell'.

Thank you once again for a great read.

Doc

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Bravo! I’ve missed you

TK

Driven2ReadDriven2Readabout 2 years ago

Another great Todd172 story - best writer on the (hell who else has 80% of the top stories in LW top 10). This is another awesome one, you attention to detail is unmatched. Thank you again for making my day, it's always a good day when you see another Todd172 story is posted!

shaman43shaman43about 2 years ago

Your writing is like my coffee with sunshine streaming in the window. Makes the day special. Great prose. Wonderful research on technical stuff. The character development is exquisite. In this short story you develop character better than most authors do in a book. How you develop Luther and Mae while making the growth of their relationship is a lesson in writing for other authors. I read this on another site two days ago. A 10. Saw it here read it again. Enjoyed it again. Picked up some more of what you did from how you made events so that there was a great deal of subtlety while being unavailable in how Luther and Mae were together. Even picked up the second time the comment about Agent Cooper being in "deep shit." Only one more thing to say. A heartfelt thank you.

lukeshortlukeshortabout 2 years ago

Another story up to your usual standards and my high expectations. Took me a while to realize that this is a back story to TJ'S Luther. 5* all the way.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Not enough 5’vs for your stories. This one is great. Thank you for continuing to put these stories together.

AnyMooseAnyMooseabout 2 years ago

Another home run; fearing the day you leave us and start only writing commercially. This is better than 97% of the tripe published out there today. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

johsunjohsunabout 2 years ago

Thank you. Damn good read. Damn good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Thanks Todd, and your Missus, for another FINE tale. Been checking everyday for a month for this five star plus story.

mikeyjb51mikeyjb51about 2 years ago

Absolutely awesome tale of real life. Brother 1st Cav. then on to Nam in 69. 5 Big stars, just saying.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Great read.

Longhorn__07Longhorn__07about 2 years ago

Superb--that's the only word that fits.

LH

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I had an older brother, 20 years older, that had a service station in our hometown when I was in junior high. Every week a guy drove his car in to be put on the lift and take out the helper springs that were installed so the car was level when he transported a load of moonshine to his local buyer. When he came in the rear of car was jacked up about 10 inches, when he left it was level again.

As always greatly enjoy your stories. Would like to see one on Jenxie and if Hollowood got his woman. Keep em coming.

jflindersjflindersabout 2 years ago

I saw this highly rated story and figured it would be a btb or at least a story of a hard nosed guy refusing to have anything further to do with his cheating wife that I usually read on this site, the type that usually scores well whether well written or not.

It sure wasn't that but it is extremely well written and relative to what other stories get probably deserved more than the five stars I was able to give it. I hope you keep posting in LW, whether the stories fit the description of what is in this category or not. Thanks for the story.

SlithyToveSlithyToveabout 2 years ago

As usual, my only complaint about your writing is that you're not more prolific. I can't think of a single one of your stories I haven't enjoyed immensely, and I very much appreciate the craft and care put into them. Kudos to you both.

ArdieffArdieffabout 2 years ago

A great read. Thank you.

jocko_smithjocko_smithabout 2 years ago

Good story. There's just some people it doesn't pay to measure your dick against, because "that boy just ain't got no back-up in him" as an instructor once said.

Thanks for reminding me of a different set of Little People. Mine was a different time, and a different place, but my oldest brother was in the land of Green, so I'll raise a glass to Mad Dog and Klaus tonight.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 2 years ago

Another hall of fame story - I knew the bad guys were in deep shit when I read our “hero” was recondo. 5*

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 2 years ago

Too young for Nam but I did meet Benavidez. Each of my kids has a copy of the book with his story.

This should be a series on Netflix. Gave me goose bumps. This is make money from it if you wanted to good.

Thank you.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarabout 2 years ago

If y'all don't already know, take a few minutes and research "Master Sergeant Raul "Roy" Benavidez ". His Medal of Honor story is almost unbelievable. Great story and a good feel for hillbillies. 5* and wish it could be more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

As always, a superb story told by a master storyteller! I love how you draw the readers in to feel like they are standing as a bystander near by and actually seeing the story unfold before their eyes, as if in real life. I hope you have many years left to entertain me with more of your stories.

Thank you so much for sharing your gift!

BlakkdannBlakkdannabout 2 years ago

Just WOW, Todd. Loved every line.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I know you’re a great writer and I’ve loved your previous stories, but this one was so removed from my world that I couldn’t get beyond the third page. Sorry but it could have been in a foreign language that I didn’t understand. I didn’t give it a mark out of respect for your previous works. Sorry.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Great story. As soon as I see your name I know that I will be drawn into the tale that you and your wife spin.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nobody does Rambo like Todd. In fact, Todd's the only Rambo writer here I like.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

dammitdammitdammit

5 stars is nowhere _near_ enough

mac1729mac1729about 2 years ago

Another great tale, thank you for writing us unworthy readers

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Favorite writer! Saw it posted last night but sugar crashed before I could get to it. Woke up with a smile knowing it was waiting for me. Never disappointed. Thank you, and the Mrs. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

For my money Todd and the Mrs are way up high among the very best writers here. I've been waiting for Luther's stories sine we met him in the St Clair series. His war was exactly my war, and even at this great remove the sounds and smell depicted here are the same ones I live with in the nigh. As one old snake eater to another, noi bat

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

And once again, I was spellbound from the first word to the last. Keep 'em coming.

ChopinesqueChopinesqueabout 2 years ago

Superb. Publish this. Kindle, Ebook. Any way you can. Foot-stomping good. Obviously, given the postscript this work is based on life. Living or knowing people who've been there and/or were like that. Preparation, thought, planning, research all evident. Many thanks for this read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

As always, a fantastic story. Would give it a 50 if possible. Thanks so much.

Cringo31Cringo31about 2 years ago

Just awesome. I do not know how you do it but you and the misses are the very best writers on this site. I am so impressed with each and every story and have loved them all. This story has such detail and the language was spot on. A 5 every time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago
Top of the line

I have never been a great fan of prequels but this was a non-stop first read. Am scheduling the second for this evening.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Always brilliant, wonderful writing, fast paced, well structured and great characters.

Just another, typical Todd172 story, with the typical five star rating.

Every story is equally good.

This only complaint I could possibly have is that there are not more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Kept my attention. USMC 73-76, USA 76-97 11B, P, X Airborne

Omart57Omart57about 2 years ago

Damned good, Todd! Thanks!

Sxualchocol8Sxualchocol8about 2 years ago

A-may-zing! Great job, y'all!

FredHuckFredHuckabout 2 years ago

A Great Story and Excellent storytelling...

One of the best I read on here or anywhere else!

5 🌟s

Fred

drif10drif10about 2 years ago

I enjoyed that, thank you.

Bugs was a nice touch.

HenwynHenwynabout 2 years ago

Well, you were either there or have some good friends who were and are willing to talk about it. These are, of course, stories. Having relatives who took part in most of our wars going back to the revolution plus who knows what sort of shit the various families who fed into our line got up to before they got here, I've heard a lot of stories. I've also heard a few fragmentary attempts at "truth" which were hard to listen to and a lot harder for the narrator to express. People reading a story expect and want a story. Telling really good ones is something to take a bit of pride in and the effort and research you put into these shows. Good work. Hope life gives you a break and we'll see some more soon.

LaneBagginsLaneBagginsabout 2 years ago

Interesting story. I grew up about ten years prior to the time of this story in NW Arkansas along a series of dirt roads used by "Runners" heading to Oklahoma. In the Southern Ozarks stills were plentiful in those days and it was not unusual to run onto one while out hunting. The stills were not easy to spot but there were always signs if you knew what to look for. Smart hunters would always turn and head in another direction. Good story as it brings back lots of old memories of my youth. "All The Way!"

MicknTrixieMicknTrixieabout 2 years ago

5* Excellent story, well written.

LeFrog08LeFrog08about 2 years ago

Great story. It’s real nice to read your

latest. Thanks.

My regards to the both of you.

OldNewAuthorOldNewAuthorabout 2 years ago

Loved it, will read again and again!

johntcookseyjohntcookseyabout 2 years ago

Characters and setting right out of Daniel Woodrell’s Missouri Ozarks novels: ‘Give Us A Kiss’, ‘Tomato Red’, Winter’s Bone’, etc. What a profoundly rich culture. Luther and Mae - latter day Romeo and Juliet, but with a ‘happy ever after’. Thanks very much. That was a real treat.

Omegaman56Omegaman56about 2 years ago

When is the movie coming our

kirei8kirei8about 2 years ago

Still looking for your names in a movie credit! You could build a screenplay on almost any story you and the wife write. And it would be a blockbuster hit !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

You are a true artist… this would be an iconic movie akin to Apoc Now - an absolute masterpiece of a story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

After 50 years, the memories still return. Not so many of us to talk to anymore. You got the Slang, Jargon, and Attitudes dead on in the story. Good Read!!!

dmallorddmallordabout 2 years ago

You're writing hurt. I was warned at the beginning. I should have known better than to finish this. I even stopped at the second page at the mention of the Chiêu Hồi program - for two hours and was drawn back into reading again; like a moth to a flame. I could see flashbacks of those fucking leaflets scattered in the jungle after an air drop. Still, I read on to the end.

I felt the realistic moments. I lived those, too. Fifty-years plus, later, I still wake up long before dawn, sometimes, sweating like a pig.

What I have submitted to Lit in no way touches the depths of your work. I couldn't do that...even my light brush strokes of those days kept me up for weeks in writing them. I pray I sleep tonight.

I'm glad most of the story dealt with hillbillies or I would have been really fucked. [Well written, too!]

Your work is compelling, visceral, and well crafted. It would make a fine, damnable movie; but not Rambo shit.

Thank you. 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Todd, ya kinda make an old vet proud. Thanks for sharing your time and efforts. An old curmudgeon

waifwaifabout 2 years ago

I got home after a long day and opened Lit in hopes that something new and interesting would be posted. I smiled hugely when I saw Todd172's name attached to a new LW story..

I love all the Shack and Shack spin-off stories. This one was every bit as fun to read.

5* from me and a huge "Thank You" for the posting.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 2 years ago

I liked the story, but... At the beginning I found the flash backs to Viet Nam too frequent and distracting. Did Mae and Luther end up living in Hawaii, or just for their honeymoon? The abrupt ending kind of left me hanging. Did I miss something?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

One comment said that 5 stars isn't near enough and I agree. Then another Anonymous comment left on the 14th around 2 PM said the he had to stop reading by the third page because it seemed to be in a "foreign language".

Guess I could understand his comment but for me the story took me back 50 years to another time and world. A place I did my best to avoid without success. For those who have only read about that "conflict", this tale brought back some reality and memories of a place we will never be totally able to leave. The language was all too familiar for me, whether it was hillbilly/country jargon or the basic Vietnamese we learned from daily usage.

I was lucky because I served my time in hell at the launch point for many COVEY flights; Danang Air Base AKA Rocket City. I never had to go on patrol like my brother, a Marine and I spent a lot of time praying that the Army and Marine patrols would find the 122mm Bamboo launched rockets aimed at us before they launched. At Danang we just dropped into the nearest bunker, hole, or ditch after the first rocket hit and prayed that nothing got too close to us. The scene Todd172 painted about the mortar attack had me shaking for a few minutes.

As far as talking country it ain't so hard to understand as long as you don't act like an English teacher and try to grade the submitted essay. Anyway, to Anonymous and any others who were confused by the jargon or language all I say is Xin lỗi/ sorry.

PolyLvrPolyLvrabout 2 years ago

One thing I hate about Todd's stories is that they end.

Terrific tale, it drew me right in.

Larch50Larch50about 2 years ago

Can't belive I found this story the same day it was posted. As usual an excellent story. You and the Missus are national treasures.

AlberothAlberothabout 2 years ago

I thought there were 4 other agents with Cooper when Luther took care of business? Or did a couple of others come snooping around before the sheriff and the feds rocked up?

Either way, 5/5 like the rest of your stories.

AxelottoAxelottoabout 2 years ago
I wish I could give you TEN stars

Thanks for another ripping yarn!

Axelotto

flashdog666flashdog666about 2 years ago

Always a good day when Todd and the Missus release new material

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Another excellent story about a segment of our society that most know nothing about.

Joeyiluv69Joeyiluv69about 2 years ago

Riveting tale ol chap. Its a good read. I really enjoyed it.

maxx308maxx308about 2 years ago

One hellava story, gonna have to read your other works.

Thanks for sharing. 5***** and a favorite.

cloakndagger772cloakndagger772about 2 years ago

Holy shit. Yet again, you prove that you are one of the best storyteller on the entire planet.

Wow.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 2 years ago

Great story, and great characters. I half expected the feds to present a warrant, and eventually start digging through the outhouse.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Ok iguess.why is it loving wives? Or even on this site

BoxerR100BoxerR100about 2 years ago

Damm your good. !!

Please thank your team for all their hard work. And please keep writing!!

Ravey19Ravey19about 2 years ago

Was thinking that I hadn't seen another of your stories 2 days ago and then this popped up. Loved it from start to finish although some of the language had me foxed a little but that's jargon and local mannerisms for you. Please keep releasing more when you can.

P.S. A Perfect She-Devil is my favourite read for an entertaing pick-me-up.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I've read all ov your stories over, and over, and over again. As much as I love your Tales From The Shack, I honestly think this is your best yet. Thank you, and The Missus.

LwcbyLwcbyabout 2 years ago

Awesome as usual!!! Many thanks to you and the Missus... I’ve been wanting to make some of your stew, but I can’t remember which story has the recipe. Oh well I’ll just have to read them again until I find it.

BigMagnum44BigMagnum44about 2 years ago

I’m almost sad I found this story. It was so good that now I have to go and read all your other stories and I don’t know when I will find that kind of time. AWESOME STORY!! It was a joy to read and I honestly loved how the flashback/PTSD scenes traced from most current to his earliest experiences. Nice touch there.

andyinozandyinozabout 2 years ago

Absolutely. Brilliant.

jocko_smithjocko_smithabout 2 years ago

@Anonymous, during my time, I was indeed "attached" to a couple US Army-led teams. But I was also introduced by a Brit squadron commander has having been "seconded" to his folk as part of an exchange program. Work with enough furriners, and you don't even notice their terms after a while. Even today, I speak some strine on occasion, to the amusement of my quite American wife.

As Aussies worked with the US and others in the land of Green, and that MACV-SOG was a mishmash, I would not be surprised that Estrada picked up some foreign terms other than Viet, Korean, or Thai.

lc69hunterlc69hunterabout 2 years ago

Memories. Didn't see a lot of combat per se, but the fuckers would throw mortars at us at least once a week.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Ya done them hillbillies might proud , young fella , what with the feud twinxt them Parker’s and McCabes done come and gone with them young ‘uns serenadin and even ta fixin on raisin that dead fellers baby and all . Gollee aughta get gramps Hawkins bring his jug and the boys with the spoons and fiddles have us a right good ‘ol shindig !

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

SIMILAR Stories