All Comments on 'Mr. Right'

by Just Plain Bob

Sort by:
  • 86 Comments
blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 5 years ago
Bob is back!! Yay!

Missed you. Hope to see a regular progression of hits from the band leader. Thanks for writing, Randi.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 5 years ago
Played him like a clavier from hell

But so what ? He loved, lost her , loved/lost others after this woman 👩 and he can't shed her memory . You might as well take the chance he did and try again. I wouldn't have bet a doughnut against a Hundy of it working , but longshots come in. You can't win the lotto unless you buy a ticket . Who knows better then JPB that one is the loneliest numbet .

Bottom Line : Good story behind cliche facade. .I thank the author for sharing.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Not damn

JOB is back! It's reconciliation, but I can deal with. Pretty dang good story.

chytownchytownover 5 years ago
A JPB Type Of Story****

Kind of deja vu all over again!! Thanks for sharing 🙄

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 5 years ago
Hmmm...

Tough tale. He has the best intentions but always seems to get fucked over. No need for another chapter but you wonder how things are really going with the two of them. Good read.

Gomez333Gomez333over 5 years ago
Long time no see

Good to have you back JPB!

DominantYetServile22DominantYetServile22over 5 years ago
rushed ending getting to be a theme in tonight's stories.

Can't end it like this, man. She has demonstrated habitual behavior of a certain extent, like he said, look at her two biggest relationships other than him. Married a junkie and stuck around way too long, had some kind of super attraction (and married) an abuser, and had to get her ass beat 3 times before getting the message. I guarantee hubby 1 was on drugs before she married him, and I guarantee hubby 2 didn't perfectly hide being an abuser, they always have certain mannerisms that are giveaways to most people but are like catnip for those predisposed to be attracted to assholes. She has a problem and needs some kind of support or help in figuring out why she's attracted to dirtbags like this or she's doomed to end up doing it all again before long. Thing is, the main character seems to understand this, so l would ASSUME he would have the wherewithal convince her to get some help and support her working this issue out before he becomes hubby numero 3. Think about that Bob, it would give you a great chance to come up with a backstory about how she's gotten into these situations before as well as learn to avoid doing so in the future. It'd be a win-win for author and reader. As it is I gotta dock you one for the rushed ending so *4 instead of a 5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
It was good.

It was good but the end was a little rushed but was still a 5 star. I loved the addition of the Tracy Lawrence lyrics.

Bebop3Bebop3over 5 years ago
Ximand

You gave the story a one because you didn’t like the motivations of one of the characters. Is that accurate?

You gave no consideration to plotting, character development, setting, editing, general writing skill, etc.? If that is an accurate assessment of your methods for story critiques, you may want to reconsider your methodology.

justwetwojustwetwoover 5 years ago
A departure

Normally JPB's protagonists have an internal confidence and sense of self without a swagger. Even when he gets shat on repeatedly. I didn't see that here.

A nice departure, especially with the lyrics/poem throughout. Though I miss XYZ industries, Nancy, and the rest of the characters.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years ago
I recognized this story

Oh, not the particular story, but what happened in the composition: JPB was writing well, and then got stuck when it came to the ending. I’ve got probably four stories like that on my flash drive, unfinished, because I couldn’t get the ending right.

JPB is a good writer, but this one isn’t up to his usual standards.

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
BOY O BOY WHAT IS IN THE WATER IN THAT WELL

to make folks miss it so they have to return and get their fill. TK U MLJ LV NV

swingerjoeswingerjoeover 5 years ago
Meh

The entire premise of this story is that our narrator can’t get this woman out of his mind — even after she betrays and abandons him for another man. For us to accept this premise, we have to understand why she has such a strong hold on him. But despite the first-person narrative we never quite get that.

He finds her very attractive. They have sex often (but no mention of the quality.) We’re never shown that Tanya actually loves or cares for him at any deep and meaningful level. She dates him until she finds someone better. He’s a stopgap between her ex-husband and “Mr. Right.”

Then, years later when she calls him, he immediately takes her back because he’s willing to be stepped on again if that’s what it takes to be with her.

How pathetic. What little self esteem the narrator must have. I suppose the story serves well as a cautionary tale of what can happen if you have such little self-respect that you’re willing to settle for someone you know is not trustworthy. But then the ending is completely incongruous with that premise. So I have no idea what the moral of this story is supposed to be.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years ago
Ximand wrote:

"I dislike the story because the only reason she looked him up was because no other guy in her life worked out for her and she remembered him as a safe choice. Any port in a storm I suppose. There is no glory in being the one they settle for and you just lay yourself out for them so they can gut you any time they like."

While the situations differ, isn't this a frequent basis for LW stories: the husband she settled for versus the guy she wants to fuck? We just have authors like Grendel who want to ratchet it up a notch and have the wimpy white husbands who'll support them versus the big black studs they want to fuck.

HikingThruHikingThruover 5 years ago
180 degrees?

Perhaps the lesson learned is 180 degrees can be the right thing at the time. For him, the tattooed bartender got him over the hurt, and for her, she finally learned that physical attractions and sparks don't mean anything if the guy is a douche bag.

SelqSelqover 5 years ago
@Bebop3

I must ask a question of you. Who made you the arbiter of how someone rates a story?

Ximand rated the story 1 star, because of how the story made them feel, and you in your arrogance are telling them they are wrong simply because they use a different rating system than you do.

Truly arrogant and egotistical, I must say. (And I say this with a full amount of arrogance and egotism coming from me)

Lately you you seem to have become extremely aggressive and dare I say snarky, sarcastic, and downright mean in comments towards commenters who ask questions or disagree with what you think about a story.

While Ximand commented only on the story, you only commented on Ximand's comments. You, Bebop3, are part of the problem within the comment section of LW. There was no reason for you to comment on Ximand's comments, only your arrogance in having to respond to someone who disagrees with your opinion. (And yes, I do understand the irony and hypocrisy of me responding to you, Bebop3. I also enjoy the humor of doing so.)

All that being said, 4 stars for this story. Nice read and always look forward to more from you JPB. You are the godfather of LW no doubt.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Thoughts

The first thing that comes to my mind, is that if she "knew instantly," then why the lies? Why not just say flat out that she had met someone else that she "knew" she was meant for?

"If she wasn't with Mr. Right anymore why was she calling me?" - Why not? She was with you until "Mr. Right" came along, if he's out of the picture why wouldn't she want you back. As for me, no matter how hung up on her I might be, I'd always be worried about Mr. Right or someone else might come along.

Mr. Right turned into Mr. Dead Wrong very quickly? Six months isn't that quick!

She and Mr. Right got married awfully fast!

She knows NOW? As he said, both of her exes were abusers, chances are most of her boyfriends had been "bad boys," and she didn't know the first time that he was special?

I'm torn. I'm glad for the happy ending, not sure if I could have trusted her.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@betrayedbylove

No need to wonder, JPB says it's been six years and two kids, do you want him to show them celebrating their 50th Anniversary?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Further Thoughts

Since we know that they have made it six years, we can assume that either she was able to get her own head on straight (it happens!) or DID get help.

I don't think it's "years." She was only with Mr. Right for six months, she had 90 days in jail, then a "couple" of relationships. I suppose two years is technically "years," but it's not like 5 or 6!

ValintValintover 5 years ago
Needs an ending

Feels like Tanya is presented as someone who's torn between the kind of guy she's *supposed* to want (emotionally and financially stable, who loves her) and the kind of guy she actually wants (a hot mess who treats her like shit).

She's decided to settle for Matt, and Matt has such low self-esteem that that's the best he thinks he can get.

To me, this needs an ending where Tanya actually comes to grips with and deals with whatever psychological issues cause her to want bad boys. If not, this was just a prologue to a "My wife's getting gangbanged on the side, and I'm too much of a wimp to do anything about it. Man, I really should have seen that coming, shouldn't I?" story.

kimi1990kimi1990over 5 years ago
That was fun.

Stories by Justplainbob usually are. I hope you write another soon.

@selq Who made you the arbiter of what other people can say in a comment?

ValintValintover 5 years ago
@sbrooks103x - Re: further thoughts

... or, she didn't get her head on straight or get help, and after popping out a few kids and making sure Matt couldn't go anywhere without losing everything, she started fucking around on him so she could get her safe guy at home *and* have the sparks with her lover.

I mean, this very easily could be a prologue to any number of JPB's "wimp husband puts up with oversexed wife fucking around because he's too much in love with her to leave" stories.

hindsight2020hindsight2020over 5 years ago
4*

6 years ago?

The avg length of a marriage that ends divorce is 8 years. Hmmmmm

chastenchastenover 5 years ago
Hmmm

As always, I enjoy your stories.

This one left me feeling that either a) the ending was way too rushed or b) another chapter is needed. Basically, you set up his dilemma pretty well but you forced the resolution into about one sentence. Since I like the happy ending, I'm going to believe that you just rushed the ending, and not that he's going to be suckered.

johnadpjohnadpover 5 years ago
Reality And What's Wrong With Him

The reality is that after Mr. Right turned really shitty, she would look back on her decisions and look back on her past relationship with Matt with rose colored glasses. Yes, maybe she felt a real connection with "Mr. Right" when they met, but if her relationship with Matt was enough she wouldn't have left him for "Mr. Right". After all they were still in their honeymoon period, and things hadn't gotten stale. So the most likely scenario the second time around would have been that she'd start dating Matt again and realize there was something missing eventually. But he played it right, dated her again without fully jumping back in, and just because the most likely scenario is her leaving again, it wasn't the only likely outcome.

As far as what's wrong with him, and this plays a bit into the above paragraph. This dude had a lot of women leave him. It seems all his longer term relationship not only left him, but left him abruptly and decisively without any hesitation or wavering. So either he was picking the wrong kind of women, as he accused Tanya of doing with men, or there was enough not right with him that eventually women felt there wasn't enough to want him long term. And it was bad enough that they were assured of that fact and left so decisively. So it begs the question did Tanya after having gone through bad relationships settle for Matt because he was stable and wouldn't fuck her over, or was it that she realized he was truly a catch because of his characteristics. It's coming to the same point, but from two different directions. One would lead her to be happy and settled with her decision, the other would make her happy for a short period of time and restless after a while.

But in the end he got what he wanted. So all's well that ends well. Although we don't get Tanya's perspective to know if she was truly happy and satisfied in the relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
The story is missing a few things

Like STD tests, paternity tests and one whopdinger of a prenup when they finally did marry. He’s still mad about her, she’s hot, and he knows he’s NOT her Mr Right. Why not take her back. Even indefinitely. But don’t marry her! At least until kids came into it but even then paternity tests and prenups. Hell she’s got a police record for DV. Sounds like she’s settling for safety and stability but it took her first choice knocking her around to come back to this schmuck. Sure take her back and treat her like a queen but don’t be stupid.

FD45FD45over 5 years ago
Sight Unseen and Unread

I say 'Yay!'

More comments, probably less positive, may or may not be forthcoming.

Glad to see you. Whenever I read an overly verbose author, I tell them to read you. You nick the bone at times, but you do write delightfully tight stories.

FD45FD45over 5 years ago
Ah!

Song lyrics.

Or as I call it 'filler'.

I can't say I have NEVER used song lyrics in a story. It was once and it was four lines and that was it.

And I am probably going to hell for it. I'll say hi when I meet you there, Bob.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
typical

Good and interesting but you have done better. Where is the unexpected or the more perverse?

T.T.

boatbummboatbummover 5 years ago
A New JPB Story! Hooray!

Another fine slice of a person's life - which like most has its ups and downs.

Personally, I'd rather take a chance on an amazing relationship with a woman I already know to be a "twelve" than miss out on a potentially extraordinary (long) ride with her.

And with a lot of LW stories (and real life of course), there are usually several/many good years before the train runs off the tracks. So enjoy the good years while you can, but be prepared for the Martian Slut Ray to zap her again.... ;-)

GrimmerGrimmerover 5 years ago
4.4

The lure of the ex can be at times a good pull. He took a chance and it worked out.

Nice tale :)

King_WillieKing_Willieover 5 years ago
SIX years going strong, uh?

Good to hear.

Closing in on year seven and you know what that means:

Lucky number seven, it's time for a new Mr. Right to make his entrance.

Let the sparks begin. :)

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Comments

After reading all the comments, some really insightful, I have my own thoughts. First, I read to fast, and I need to slow down and enjoy the story. Anyway, I think our hero is so smitten with his flighty love, that he is willing to take the chance that she will leave again. He has her now, he has children, and is willing to take his chances. If she.leaves, she will probably be back when the hot relationship implodes again. As a typical JPB hero, he will do anything for love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Overall this was great

No, really. honest. I don't like his 'captain save-a-hoe' attitude though.

"You're a woman and that's all I needed to know."

that's who he is, and it explains his shit luck with women. women don't respect men that cannot respect themselves. men are supposed to give women a free pass? treat them like endangered animals? at least you explained that at the end of it all, he's full of semen and desperate to mate. explains his door-mat attitude.

the woman was typical hypergamy. "i found better, so i'm leaving". Imagine how many MORE broken homes and hearts if men did the same thing. she is only faithful because she has some sort of wisdom that she can't do much better. that's not love, that's fear. he's an okay bloke, overall. but he has some pretty loathsome traits. i guess that makes for a better story. i guess i just wish his mind grew a little more emotionally at the end. a small nit-pick....but that's what you get in this genre....annoying nit-pickers....like me. cheers

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
After a lot of pain he got lucky,she keeped her word!

Good story .finally a break for him. He got a girl who finally committed to him.and two kids too. Both are happy. Sometimes it takes a lot of pain to get things right. This story works.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 5 years ago
@sbrooks103x

Not good enough. I'd like it better if he said "and they lived happily ever after." Fiftieth anniversary? How old are you?

SelqSelqover 5 years ago
@kimi1990

I'm confused kimi1990, where exactly was I trying to arbitrate what anyone says. I just pointed out arrogance, irony, and hypocrisy, including my own.

I don't want Bebop3 or you, kimi1990, to stop commenting. Just the opposite actually, I want to see more comments from both of you, with more sarcasm, snarkiness, and aggressive language targeted towards those you don't like. I want to see you continue to try to drive people away.

I'm actually the opposite of an arbiter, I want EVERYTHING out there. I want people to see what everyone really thinks. And God knows if I find something humorous in comments I will gleefully point it out.

(Oh God, I used the word gleefully, please don't take my man card)

Now, you are free to try to scare me off, but I'll just chuckle at you. You could try to accuse me of something, but I'm not a writer so I have nothing to lose, plus I'm too lazy to actually do anything that could get me in trouble.

So, in conclusion, kimi1990 not only should you continue to comment, you should continue to comment on whatever you want. You should be commenting more and getting how you really feel out there. And those of us who are just readers will continue to read your opinions and decide whether we agree or disagree.

Your most arrogant, snarky, ironic, and hypocritical one,

Selq

johnadpjohnadpover 5 years ago
One More Thing

It can't be too good for the ego to know first, the other guy in a couple of weeks was able to take your woman away from you when you're in the honeymoon period, engaged and living together. And then it takes the other guy beating your woman, closed fisted, 4 times before she decides to come back to you.

She said she started thinking about Matt after Mr. Right's fourth beating and she finally ended things. So Matt was still not Mr. Right, even after the third beating, but Mr. Right was Mr. Right from minute one compared to Matt's one year of dating, living together and engagement.

Her ex-husband while married I'm sure got several chances to fuck up and she didn't divorce him. And then after divorcing him she still gave him the opportunity to get her back, until she realized he was using again and wanted her only for money.

I can see Matt taking her back if in a few months if the other guy was a good guy and she called Matt up and said I made a big mistake. It was just physical attraction, but you're the one I've been thinking about and truly want. But no way on the terms where Mr. Right turns into a psychopath and she is forced to leave him or die. Mr. Right and Ex-Husband had to fuck up sooooo badly before she dumps them, but Matt gets dumped so easily. Yeah, not too good for the old ego.

One thing I luckily learned fairly young is to like and love what's good for me. That means I actually like food that is healthy for me. I abhor fried food, etc. I literally detest fatty food, even though growing up I loved it. I had to teach my mind to like what's good and detest what's bad. I'm good at playing tricks with my mind where this becomes natural. The same with surrounding myself with people that are good for me. I cannot understand how, not only he can deal with the fact that he wasn't Mr. Right even though he was there first and had homecourt advantage, but the other guy had to nearly kill her 4 times before she remembered him and would consider him again. I've been in love several times and after a break up I was able to grieve for a short period of time and completely move on. I have a great capacity for love, so it wasn't because I didn't love them that much. It's because of my ability to focus my mind on what's good for me. Hanging on to the dream of a woman leaving me for another dude would not be good for me.

Now I believe in people making mistakes and redemption. But for me redemption for Tanya would have been for her to finally figure things out and happiness with someone else. But if I were Matt I can't see how I can live with the fact that the other two major relationships I know she had, they had to fuck her over and over again before she left them, but she would leave me at the drop of a hat. Unless I guess he knows he's not the cat's meow with women, he's accepted that and is willing to compromise.

MightyHornyMightyHornyover 5 years ago
His usual

First off... glad to see you back, sir. As always.

Also glad we weren't subjected to a cuck story here - it's a way better read to follow the life of a man unlucky in love than one that dislike himself enough to willingly live with a slut. Which, regardless of what some would think, is not what happened here.

I understand Matt's dilemma here, and - for once! - the author bothered making his MC asked himself and Tanya the right questions about their relationship, so he could make a proper decision regarding their potential future together. Sure, what she did was fucked up, no doubt about it, and seeing her, crawling back to her ex, after going to hell, was highly questionable (seriously, if Mr Wonderful didn't turn out to be a wife-beater, would she ever think about the fiance she dumped to get it on with him? We all know the answer to that one...), but, based on the story, the girl genuinely didn't seems like she purposely try to hurt Matt with their breakup (gotta give her credits for just breaking up with him, and not drag the whole thing out til he catches them in his bed, as it is usually the case with JPB's cheaters), and was - as it sounds, anyway - actually remorseful for her actions.

The way Matt still felt about her made it very implausible that he wouldn't take her back (you can keep thinking the women you meant sucks compare to your ex, then sincerely think you're better off without her), but he did it the right way: by making her work damn hard for it. I'm not used to read a reconciliation story from JPB, but I'll welcome it, since it is earned, not a damn RACC one. Gotta say, the story was nice, but it was really the writing that I enjoy - Bob is truly the rarest of writers that you enjoy reading, even if his subject matter is highly deplorable!

Hopefully, this won't be his last offering for 2018; if it was, though... still a nice one. ★★★★

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

That's funny. Took her three marriages to find Mr. Right. (FOR NOW)

MaxiMilfMaxiMilfover 5 years ago
Great STORY as usual

Just the right length to enjoy and it actually had an ending, which so many LW authors continue to miss. Good job....Enjoyed it.

waifwaifover 5 years ago
A few issues...

...that I have with this story is that he took her back without getting any protection (in the form of a strict prenup) or any assurance that it won't happen again. He thought she was all-in before when she drops the bomb on him with no explanation. Even if she realizes that she gave up a better life for a loser, she still is telling him he is NOT her soulmate and never will be. She is telling him she no longer believes in soulmates. That is all well and good until someone convinces her otherwise.

At least with a strict prenup, he gets out of the next disaster with something beyond poverty.

KRD19254KRD19254over 5 years ago

Whoa, what a second. She divorced a druggie. She is ENGAGED/EXCLUSIVE to Matt, he goes on a 6wk work trip. While Matt is away working she decides that being engaged is not enough and seeks another cock to get her sexual sparks; then she guilelessly dumps Matt (she then marries Mr Sparks who eventually beats her).

Sorry but none of this sounds like she has her shit together and we are to believe she found her lost ways and is repentant? We are to believe her intent is now as pure as the virgin Mary? Sorry JPB but the alms of the last paragraph just doesn't cut it. 3*

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Did he ever find out who fathered the kids?

She left him and trashed their marriage, without so much as a face to face goodbye. All because she felt sparks for some other guy. She obviously didn't actually love him, and he's the same man as he was when she left. On the other hand, she stuck with her "true love" through multiple beatings. Yet this cuck takes her back, as a dog returneth to its vomit. There are other fish in the sea. A very sad tale.

Still, thanks for the story.

Cog

carvohicarvohiover 5 years ago
Yes.

Dad was right. Take that second chance. She had to grow up. Once she did well then...

Nice job.

Jedd Clampett

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitover 5 years ago

That was a great story... The fact is that a guy like that would take a chance on a woman like that even if he knew she might hurt him. That was real....and there is a high chance the she would hurt him again, but not always.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Okay

The story was okay. 3 or 4 Stars.

Give her a second shot? Yeah, okay.

Marry her? No, totally off the table. If she stays for the long haul then good. If she flakes out again, no paying lawyers, seeing judges nor losing 1/2 your stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Good for them to learn and get past her being a lying cheating cunt. Me perycould never

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 5 years ago
lol

ok story, the comments are better tho lol

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Different?

Still kicking I see, Just Plain Bob. That's good.

Read your story. Seemed like bait. Maybe it's just me.

JLRemora2

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
One point, and thanks for writing

I always find the plot device of the Mrs. finding Mr. Right interesting. Especially when the lady tries to come back afterwards. It should be obvious that if someone else is Mr. Right, then the one left behind is not, and nothing else will change that. In this story I have the feeling that she is settling for reliable and comfortable, despite desiring something else.

Good story though, thanks for writing.

FD45FD45over 5 years ago
johnadp

I try not to respond to other commenters because they lead to ugly flame wars instead of just simple disagreements. So take this as it is meant, and if you still disagree with me, that's fine. Maybe someone else will like the comment.

This woman (I don't remember her name) did not think Mr. Right was Mr. Right after the fourth beating...or the third beating, or even the second beating. She BEAT HIM after the second or third beating! She divorced him and got a restraining order.

But she thought she had burned her bridges with the protag (don't remember his name either). SHE COULD NOT GO BACK, and she had the self awareness and class to understand that.

But as indicated: she thought about him the entire time. Her post beating dating was like his: always comparing THIS guy to the protag.

You are correct to bring up the 'sparks' thing, but she is like you: she needed to be aware that those French fries were bad, that sparks WERE SUSPECT before she could adjust her mental processes accordingly. And she did, seemingly

Yes, it seemed a long bet, but hey, sometimes you need to go for a lucky 7!

I don't ding either one for that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
@justreading re:dna test

I’m certain if your mother had had one, your “dad” would have been long gone.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@FD45

No, she beat him after he beat her the FOURTH time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Another good story

Almost always happy to see a JPB story on the daily menu (sometimes you do go crazy). This was fairly simple, but still entertaining. Glad to see people win once in awhile. But the commentators crack me up! I swear that if a famous author (think King or Clancy) stuck a story in the LW section there would be at least 50% of the people complaining about it. I think that's because most of the commentators simply enjoy complaining. Weird but true. Thanks for the effort Bob. Keep them coming. And if you're in a really good mood? Write some 2nd chapters for some of your stories wherein you went crazy!

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 5 years ago
Yeah

he's begging for trouble.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@KRD19254

I don't think she sought out other cocks, she just happened to meet "Mr, Right."

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Okay

A simple little story that has been done many times before. However I really like JPB’s style of writing and will always read his offerings. DogFuzz.

The security code sucks for me....

bruce22bruce22over 5 years ago
Typical smooth JPB

Basically he bought a 100 to one chance and came out way ahead.

johnadpjohnadpover 5 years ago
@FD45

I admit I speed read through these stories, but if I remember correctly, she beat him up after her 4th beating, but more importantly I believe she states that months after the relationship with "Mr. Right" ended and she was sitting there she thought of Matt and decided to call him at the SPUR of the moment. At least, that was my take on it. I don't believe it states anywhere in the story she says she was thinking of Matt the whole time she was with Mr. Right, but she felt it wouldn't be right to call him back. I don't think there is even a hint that she thought of him longingly prior to that night. In fact, I believe she says the first 6 months with Mr. Right were "perfect". Now, in real life, you'd think she would tell Matt that as soon as she left with Mr. Right she started regretting her decision, but felt it wouldn't be fair to come back to him. While, according to this story, that would be a lie, that kind of lie in my book is acceptable. Even if they don't end up together, it would be a kind and generous offering to him to soothe his bruised ego. And if they ended up together, it could only help them in the long term.

While I can agree with you that after the first beating she likely did not think of him as Mr. Right, maybe Mr. Right Light at that point, but it still wasn't enough to leave him. But she left Matt much more easily. I've been into bdsm my whole adult life and I cannot imagine punching a woman close fisted. I can't understand how a woman can stay with him after that, and how any man with any decency can do that, and once he did it he doesn't shock him enough to never come around a woman ever again. I can understand a woman staying after her "perfect" boyfriend slaps her the first time or two to give him a chance (not condoning it, but can see how she may think it was a mistake). But a close fisted punch on a woman? He got 2 more chances after the first time. Matt didn't even get a face to face to plead his case.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying she is a slimebag for leaving Matt the way she did. People think they made a mistake and move on when they think they found someone better. She should have done it face to face with Matt, but whatever. The issue I have is with Matt taking her back knowing he was the fall back option and it took a lot for her to fall back on that option.

mordbrandmordbrandover 5 years ago
Hope he invested in a prenup

That is all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
People make mistakes

And people can change. These days, it seems like long odds of it happening without a traumtic personal awakening. Maybe she had one of those but what she did seemed a lot like a choice and a lot less like a mistake IMHO. There is a reason we still say "Once bitten, twice shy". And it's a damn good resaon. But hey, I suppose miracles can happen.

Another solid story, Bob. Cheers.

4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Just Plain Bullshit.

Fine, glad they are so happily married. When she starts feeling old and ugly, or maybe after the kids are gone, she'll meet Mr. Bad Boy Excitement and be gone again. Like the old African proverb says, "You knew I was a snake when you took me in. What did you expect?"

You can and have done much better. Thanks for the effort.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Tanya's Leaving

I know other's have said it, but what really sticks in my craw is that Tanya was the difference between her breakups.

I don't think it says, but I doubt that she divorced him at the first sign of his addiction. Then she's willing to at least consider giving him a second chance just because he SAYS that he went through rehab. The Mr. Right has to PUNCH her FOUR times before she beats him up and dumps him.

Then Matt gets dumped on a phone call because she felt "sparks" with Mr. Right?

TiredOldMan502TiredOldMan502over 5 years ago
A bit paint by numbers

Your characters move really fast in the beginnings of the relationship. Consistently.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
is the key broken?

I can only surmise from the complete lack of commas in this story, that your button must be broken. It sure would help the tempo for the reader as well as how things get viewed.

Other than that, what's with the "pound ME TOO" (aka # me too) symbolism in the story? Your female characters have a ongoing love affair with the fist. You must live in KC or Chicago... (just a guess)

OnethirdOnethirdover 5 years ago
A happier ending

Yes, it’s a JPB story, but I like them and don’t feel like disecting everything. People can eventually learn a lesson and mature, so let’s give the poor sod the benefit of the doubt. Hang onto her long enough, and guys won’t be “sparking” at her as much. And maybe her eyes won’t wander while he’s out of town to boot.

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyover 5 years ago
Just plan bob

Just plain good. As usually is the case great portrayal of the lifelike feelings within a breakup and a relationship. For the critics - criticize for inconsistencies that detract from the flow of a story not the decisions an author makes with the characters. That’s poetic license. If you don’t like it write your own dam stories

FD45FD45over 5 years ago
Contrary messages

This is 'no guts, no glory'.

And yet, in 'Cowboy Up', he got burned by that same attitude.

Having it both ways.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Stupid

As soon as you were gone she spread her legs, and you still take her back. No, not happening.

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
If he didn't take her back he would still be whining about comparing others to her

I know some people change and I accept her change just his whining got to me

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Nonsense.

What drivel.

QuintiusQuintiusover 3 years ago
Unsatisfying

The big problem I have with this story has always been that he seems like he's taking a chance on the best he's ever had while she seems like she's settling for the guy who treats her best. There's a big distinction there and JPB didn't bother to provide an example where in the future she was tempted again. Like others have mentioned, she seems to have a real taste for 'bad boy' assholes. Nowhere in there was it ever shown that she was at any time head over heels for Matt, just that she knew he was good to her. Sure, a lot of marriages have been very successful on just that kind of feeling but it doesn't exactly make for a good story, does it?

Bottom line, she dumped him like a sack of shit in the toilet for basically nothing. A little bit of chemistry between her and some abusive fuck who ignored the fact that she was wearing an engagement ring and ole Matt was out the door over the phone. She didn't even bother to dump him face to face. Can she have learned from her mistake and realized what an amazing person she'd given up? Sure. The readers are given no assurance that she won't decide dumping him is still easy somewhere else down the line when she feels "sparks" with some other asshole who doesn't respect people's marriages, though. Realistic, maybe, but hardly entertaining or fulfilling to read about.

A good extra half a page about how they got around his distrust or how she was tempted again later and made the right decision this time or even just how she eventually did show that she was NOW so head over heels for him she realized that MATT "is the man the Gods mean for (her) to be with," would have really wrapped this story up in a way that was satisfying. Sadly, this is a JPB story and he hates finishing anything. He's got some good stories in his vast body of work but I don't count this one among them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Can you say Plan B?

She was just her backup plan. She never really loved him. You don't fall in love with other person when you are in love with someone.

RePhilRePhilabout 3 years ago
If you have to ask who the sucker is

It’s probably you

whateverittakeswhateverittakesalmost 3 years ago

WTF. How does this guy get all of these insatiable twelves? I have got to hear his secret.

dark2donut2dark2donut2almost 3 years ago

Not too bad, more of a romance.

How does he get twelves? In his imagination.

But it is simple in reality, you just have to be good looking and not a complete loser. It is called genetics.

If you are not good looking you won't be getting much. This is what all BTB guys are, average and below average in the "looks" department so all they have going for themselves is pontification. The women have their "sparks" flying only for the good looking guys.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wow what a surprise. In most of your stories when the guy gives the whore multiple chances, they keep fucking him over but not here. Even though I didn't like the reconciliation and wished he told her to drop dead instead, atleast you gave a somewhat happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Why would you let a whore back in your life ?

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

She cheats, she leaves him, she divorces him, and then she wants to come back? That's a tough sell. The story was fun, but I think he'd need to be crazy to take her back.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A Vile woman

Hiram325Hiram325over 1 year ago

Good grief. What a glutton for punishment.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Ughhh! Terrible.

Cracker270Cracker2702 months ago

I actually enjoy reading the whining from the little insecure trolls. Good story. Thanks

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust Plain Bob@Just Plain Bob
Just a Dirty Old Man (of course I have been one since I was thirteen)who likes to write about the things that I've seen and been exposed to in my life. There is a little bit of me in almost all of my stories and in some of them there is quite a lot. I leave it to the reader ...

story TAGS