All Comments on 'The Long Black Veil'

by woodmanone

Sort by:
  • 23 Comments
MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 5 years ago
Spooky and great!

A modern American folk horror tale. Nicely done.

MordechaiJonesMordechaiJonesabout 5 years ago
Fitting tribute

A good story inspired by a great American murder ballad. Thanks for sharing.

Bebop3Bebop3about 5 years ago
Post Mortem Justice

Nice story about just desserts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Glaring error in procedure

One thing Travis could have told the state attorney was that key evidence hadn't been brought up in court - the ballistics results on the bullets. Every gun with a rifled barrel leaves unique markings on the bullets it fires, and at no point were the bullets proven to have been fired from that particular gun. Furthermore, they couldn't be positively identified as being from a .357 Magnum, since at least 3 other calibers of handgun use the same bullet diameter .38 Special, 9x19mm/9mm Parabellum/9mm NATO, and 9x17mm/.380 ACP (seemingly incompatible calibers are due to different ways bullets were measured when the various cartridges were introduced, such as "heeled" vs. non-heeled bullets). Since story mentions both a Glock and DVDs, it took place after ballistic evidence was in common use. At no point was it brought up whether the bullets pulled from the body were even the same type or weight as the unfired rounds in the gun.

Also, the prosecuting attorney failed to introduce gunshot residue tests. The suspect's gun had been fired, but the suspect's hands hadn't been checked for powder residue that would show if he had fired a gun recently.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 5 years ago
I enjoyed this old fashioned ghost story.

Thanks for the work of writing posting for us readers! It is appreciated.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarabout 5 years ago
One of my Favorite Songs

Good story. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
re: Glaring Error in Procedure

There's always a nutcase, guess who it is?

IainmoreIainmoreabout 5 years ago
False Witneses

It just seems to me that Travis is far from finished exacting his revenge in that those that bore false witness against him didn't meet a scary end eternal damnation as well. As for the Jury well. Well it should have been a busy month in hell.

Otherwise it was a good story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
What was missing?

Sympathy. The reader can sympathise with Travis' wrongful arrest, false prosecution and the miscarriage of justice but sadly we weren't given any particular reason to like him. The only noteworthy point about him speaks to his lack of character as a cheating scumbag and the reader's sympathy goes to the victim of the cheating. It's hard to get engaged in a character without any likeabilty.

3*

Freddog6601Freddog6601about 5 years ago
Good story, good song

Creative and entertaining. A step from your norm that turned out well.

teedeedubteedeedubabout 5 years ago
different

but very good as always. Looking forward to another 'western'. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Change the ending

I was just disappointed at the ending. It seemed too simple and quick a death for the two main characters that were killed. Rewrite the very last part. Rather than killing them, as gruesome as it was, use the blue spenster (ghost) over a longer period of time, repeatedly scaring them to death to the point where they end up committing suicide on their own, totally deranged in their minds maybe even to the point where they hang themselves. Also add something similar taking care of the members of the jury, creating a variety of weird endings for each of them. Take care of the two witnesses in a very different unique and weird way, somehow tying it into their drunkenness.

LwcbyLwcbyalmost 4 years ago
One of the very few of

Your stories that I absolutely hated, even though the bad guys die, they won. Just fucked up!!!!!!

Trailrider13Trailrider13almost 4 years ago

Excellent telling of the songs story. I hope the songwriter reads it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Very sorry you have mostly quit here.

Your converging stories of the old west were the best. Author, thank you and take care.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story, song was written in 1959 by Danny Dill and M. Wilkins, lefty Frezzell had a hit song. All three have been dead many many years.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Life Goes On ;-)

TWT

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955over 2 years ago

Sorry can't suspend my belief enough to make this farce believable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Based on a great song.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithover 1 year ago

Enjoyed your tale!!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 1 year ago

good I guess but not my "cup of tea" but I did read it all.

chytownchytownabout 1 year ago

*** Spooky story. Thanks for sharing.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 23 hours ago

A pretty good story, not as good as some of your others. My belief in ghost is questionable as I've never seen one. There are unexplained things happening at times but who knows. Houdini the famous magician spent his life trying to contact his dead mother but he proved every so called quack a farce when they claimed they could talk to the dead. So who knows, I guess we'll all find out in the end...................

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwoodmanone@woodmanone
I believe age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Being some what of an egomaniac I believe my stories are very interesting. Only the readers can verify or disprove that premise. Several of my stories are based on my own experience or most have a little ...