"What could be the harm in that?"

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In the weeks since the hours got cut at work, I was the target of a lot of hateful stares and barely audible comments from my coworkers. It was becoming unpleasant to be there, but it was my fault, I deserved it.

Kurt

Well, that meeting didn't go as I expected. At least I got to say my piece. It will probably lead to a prolonged series of counseling sessions. Oh well, at least I had gotten some satisfaction.

I drove to the apartment and sat there all alone. I would be alone until the divorce was final, then I pledged to do exactly what I said and find someone that would make me happy and that I could make happy in return.

As I sat, feeling sorry for myself, the phone rang. It was probably Sue calling to yell at me for what happened at the counseling session. I looked at the display, it was Glenn, I smiled at the unexpected call.

"Hey Glenn, how are you doing?"

"Hey Dad." He said in a deadpan voice.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"We're done, Dad. Janie and I have broken up."

"No, that can't be. You love her so much."

"We've been fighting since Thanksgiving. She thinks I'm stupid to expect her to promise not to do something she has no intention of doing, yet she won't promise. I can't go into marriage with that doubt in the back of my mind."

"Damn Sue!" I thought, "You not only destroyed our marriage, but a potential marriage of our son."

"I'm sorry, Son, I know you love her. It will take some time but you will meet someone that you can be committed to that will also be committed to you, - mind, body, and soul."

"Thanks Dad, I hope you find that someone too."

Sue

I was sitting, watching T.V. when I got a call. I thought about just letting it go to voicemail. I was curious though and looked at the display, it was Julia.

"Hey Julia, thanks for calling, how are you?"

"Okay Mom, how are you?"

"I've had better days." I said solemnly.

"Well, I hate to tell you this then, I don't want to make your day any worse."

"What is it, Julia, go ahead and tell me."

"Glenn broke up with Janie."

"What?! Why?"

"She called me a little bit ago and told me. He's all hung up on the cheating thing. He thinks she is going to cheat on him."

"Oh no," I thought to myself. "What have I done?"

"He even wanted her to promise and each would sign a pre-nup giving everything but the clothes on the cheaters back to the other party."

"Oh God," I said softly. Then I thought to myself, "He's his father's son. If Kurt and I were just starting out in todays day and age he'd do the same thing. Back then though it was hardly ever heard of." I guess I can be thankful for that.

"Well, they had a blowout and he broke it off with her. She called me crying, wondering why he's so stubborn. I didn't know what to say."

"Maybe he'll cool off and they can work things out." I said hopefully, but in reality, I knew my son, he would not change his mind on this.

"I give up." I said to myself, the next day I called my lawyer. I told him to ask for a 50/50 split rather than the 70/30 he was asking for and also to change the reason to irreconcilable differences. If Kurt agreed I'd sign the papers right away. I knew fighting was just prolonging the inevitable. I hoped that he would see this was a good compromise.

Kurt

My lawyer called me, we got an offer from Sue's lawyer. She offered to stop the counseling sessions and sign the divorce paperwork if we changed the split to 50/50 and the reason to irreconcilable differences.

I told my lawyer, "No way will I accept that offer. She can't hide her adultery by changing the reason. Remind her lawyer that we have a photo and the word of an officer of the court that she was in a B & B with a man other than her husband, naked on a bed. I will accept the 50/50 split if she accepts the other."

He said he'd talk to her lawyer and see what they could work out.

Sue

Kurt refused my offer. His lawyer reminded mine that they have an eye witness of a naked David on the bed. How could I forget that? He did agree to the 50/50 split however.

I told my lawyer to accept it. I had already all but decided that I would not be staying around this town once it was all done. St. Paul was nice when we lived there, maybe I'll move back there, or maybe I'll head to warmer climes. Either way I wouldn't have to have the people around this town shunning me anymore.

I thought back over the last year, how things had changed.

At work the next day a new salesman from Heartland Paper came in to try to get our business back. I asked him where David was. "In the hospital for at least another day or two." He said.

"Why?" I asked, not trying to seem too concerned.

"He got beat up pretty bad, he looked like he'd been hit with a baseball bat. They reassigned me to this territory and are moving him to Central South Dakota when he recovers enough to get back to work."

"Do they know who beat him up?"

"No, he said two guys jumped him from behind. He didn't get a good look at them."

Wow, I wondered if Kurt had something to do with that. Maybe it was one of the other husbands since Kurt had let them know. I should call David to check on him, but that might send the wrong message, I'm done with him.

Kurt

She accepted the offer. Now we just had to wait for our time before the judge. Since we both agreed on everything in advance it should go quickly.

I think about the years together and still get angry over what she did to us. Our whole family would be different now. I wonder if I'll ever get to a point where we can have a cordial conversation again.

Sue

The house was so empty, I was actually looking forward to selling it and splitting the proceeds. The empty house made me have to think too much. I would turn on the T.V. and watch some mindless shows, but I would always find my mind wandering.

When I accepted the invitation for lunch from David I had said to myself, "What could be the harm in that?" I guess now I know.

Somewhere in America a middle-aged married woman is right now accepting an invitation to lunch with a man that is not her husband. She is asking herself "What could be the harm in that?" If only she knew.