All Comments on 'When the Rainmaker Came'

by MSTarot

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
patientleepatientleeabout 10 years ago
Sad but true

There will always be someone to take advantage of people when times are hard. Good story.

TimothyMTimothyMabout 10 years ago
Sometimes adults do know better

She should have listened to the old village people. Such gullible girls are sad and annoying, but unfortunately the whole concept of a man getting away with such trickery is quite believable.

The real tragedy was not her loss of virginity, but the loss of self she will suffer once she has to face how she was duped. The mental rape is a bigger crime than the physical act.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
So, Did the Rains Come?

Good story. Desperation, innocence, hocus-pocus and sex combine to make a interesting read. But, did the rains come? I'm guessing the rainmaker was long gone by morning sun!

jonthechaosmanjonthechaosmanabout 10 years ago
Good luck in the contest

I am trying to read all of the entries and vote to support the other contestants.

Well written. Very believable. I hated the subject matter but it was a tale well told.

I am sure the rains didn't come. Very sad.

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
TAROT CARDS AND THE YES YES BOARD

there were so many, some of them had to have worked, TK U MLJ LV NV

SecondCircleSecondCircleabout 10 years ago
Am... am I moved?

I come away with this feeling that is oddly befitting of Earth Day.

Lots of people will read this and take it at face value. Me? I've never been a very "literal" type of person. This story struck a deeper chord.

One thing I'm going to remember from this story? The dust. So much it was almost like snow. Powder. Right away I kinda knew how this tied to the earth day theme. That dust, leading to the desperation, to the madness of her deflowering to bring back the rain? At the hands of this vile opportunist? Well, thematically, that sounds like our own dying earth. I felt the symbolism without it being mentioned.

I came away with this dreadfully powerful feeling of remorse. In Cora, I could see the earth, used and taken advantage of with no gain of her own. In the rainmaker, I saw the opportunists I see everyday, taking and abusing whatever they want and caring nothing for our Cora, just satisfying their own wants. I saw the futility of trying desperately to save what may be lost already.

Well written, bleak, and ultimately powerful. I don't know if you intended each of the things I said above, but for me, this morbid tale captured those symbols nonetheless, and fit "Earth Day" in a unique and very intense way.

Sex was written very well, and was pretty vivid. Can't say it was "hot" but was erotic in a very twisted way. Didn't get any enjoyment from it, but it served a different purpose.

Great Job here. It will not be a favorite to most, but know that I walk away feeling strongly because of this piece.

SC

JagFarlaneJagFarlaneabout 10 years ago
liked it

All too often people give away something precious on only a promise.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Well-Written

I've never been so torn for voting. Beautifully written but also heartbreaking.

Zola meets the Dust Bowl meets erotica?

AMoveableBeastAMoveableBeastabout 10 years ago
Very Impressive

What a charming little piece of heart-grinding fiction.

It was wonderfully evocative and cleverly executed. Beyond that, it was touching, not in a cloyingly sentimental way, but in a manner that truly affected me. I don't know that it will fare well against more overtly sexual pieces in the contest, but it is a rare sliver of superior writing. This story will stick with me. I will look for your name because of it. I don't know how you judge good erotica, but, in my opinion, a moment of real emotion is worth a thousand hard-ons.

sheabluesheablueover 9 years ago
Visually compelling story

So rich in detail, so heartbreaking. I found to the end I was hoping that it was true, that her sacrifice would mean something. I was so drawn in to her character. Great use of dialogue and setting. This is a good one. Did someone call it erotic in a dark twisted way? I agree.

SjappoSjappoalmost 8 years ago
Undecided

This is horrible, horrible story. I salute your courage for writing it. Well done.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous