All Comments on 'When You Know Ch. 03'

by laf199

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Great!

Magnificent chapter.

This story is beginning to resemble my own life, but the other way around. My parents took 3 years to tolerate my wife (until our son was born). After this, they spent many years without seeing us, only occasional phone calls. It was when my son was 15 years old that we went to visit them (my parents and brothers lived about 700 miles in another city) and it was then my mother completely accepted my marriage and my son. My father remained cold and distant. But my wife and I were able to overcome this situation, and now, when my parents are gone, it's my wife who tells me that my mother cares about me ... I'm not so sure.

5 * for you.

I apologize for my English (yet), is not my native language.

arrowglassarrowglassover 7 years ago
Sorry...meant to give a 5!

This story hits too close to home and I like how you are handling it. I come from a somewhat similar situation...scion of an extremely wealthy family...very old money. We have been described as aristocracy and with my father's death, I inherited his title and all that goes along with it. My younger brother rebelled early...just out of high school...and was "cut off." Much to my parents chagrin, he enlisted in the military and got an education. He ended up doing very well, though it took many years to be on speaking terms with the parents again and they were never the same because of things that happened and were said in the interim. He and his wife never had children and that was another sore spot. He would not touch his trust fund or get involved with family interests in any way. I got crosswise with them when I decided to get married while still in college (we are still married) and was also threatened with being disinherited. Told them fine...but if they weren't interested in my happiness or being around my wife (supposedly she was not good enough,) then do not expect to make amends later. That would also include my children who would later turn out to be their only grandchildren. The down side of our relationship continuing was I had to "give in some" also and go into the "family business" which after five centuries (I told you old money) meant it was now asset management. My father managed to convince me I had a responsibility to our history...our name...and all the people dependent on a successful work environment in all the companies we controlled. For the next four decades, I have been a good steward and increased our worth while having the power to support and reward the people who made things work!. I spent a lot of time in Europe and other parts of the world and never did practice medicine like I had always wanted. It is interesting to be able to talk about all this here where I can be anonymous.

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
Living your life according to the plans of someone else

is a guarantee of unhappiness and failure.

It took me 20 years to break away.

I am looking forward to reading about the fireworks, while hoping for acceptance and harmony when the 4 of them meet.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous