Witness for the Prosecution Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Priya: "Despite not having been convicted of anything at the State or Federal level, Ms. Isadora was placed in the general prison population with convicted criminals doing hard time. She was attacked by two or possibly three other inmates, and stabbed multiple times. Help was slow in arriving, and Ms. Isadora bled out and died by the time any guards or other prison staff came to the scene."

Catrina: "U.S. Senator Bill Nunn of our State has demanded that U.S. Attorney General Derrick B. Harland and the Director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons testify before Congress to explain the series of failures that led to the murder of Ms. Isadora, and also give his Office as well as the Town & County Police and Courts the locations of the other gang members taken by the Feds. A.G. Derrick B. Harland has stated that he will not cooperate with Senator Nunn's inquiries."

Priya: "Sources tell Fox Eight News that the U.S. DEA was behind taking the twelve Toyota Gang members into Federal custody, which was carried out by DEA Supervisory Special Agent Dwight Stevens, acting on orders from his superiors. Both Senator Nunn and Governor Sharon Marshall are demanding the DEA make Agent Stevens available for questioning regarding his role in these events..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hmmm, I wonder who those sources are." said Teresa Croyle after my Angels and I watched the broadcast. "I wonnnn-derrr who they could beeee."

"I'll tell you right up front: it was me." I replied. "I told Catrina and Priya. And I'm the one that called Senator Nunn and Governor Marshall about it, and I called Wes Masters of the SBI, as well. And Catrina and Priya quoted me very accurately when I said that Dwight Stevens was acting (air quotes) 'on orders'."

Cindy said "I'm glad you didn't throw Lorena Rose under the bus. I feel sorry for her. I think she's a good person and a good cop, and now she's caught up in all this... filth."

"Let not your heart be troubled." I replied. When my Angels looked at me, I just said "We'll say no more about that for the time being. Soooo, Green Crowbar, anything to report from the Sheriff's Department side of the Force?"

Cindy said "Just that Louis Bailey took all his personal effects out of his office, presumably to his home. But he's still there in his office, so he's not fired nor suspended. And when you re-wrote the Charter, Don, you created a position of Warden of the County Jail. Bailey has been doing that role as well as whatever the Senior Deputy does, but the Sheriff said he's going to promote Olin B. Craig to be the Warden."

"What is the Warden's rank in the grand scheme of things?" Teresa asked.

"Same as yours, and same as Bailey's." I replied. "Silver oak leaf cluster, but his title is 'Warden'. And just as the Fire Department has Superintendents in that rank, which are installation commanders, the Warden is the Installation Commander of one particular installation, that being County Jail. And the Feds being able to get the Toyota Gang perps out of County Jail because our guys were not trained to see the red flags... that's going to fall on Louis Bailey, too. So it probably is good that he's cleaning out his office..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6:30pm, Thursday, November 18th. The Council Members took their seats in the private Council Chamber on the second floor of City Hall. City Attorney Dennis Garland and Sergeant-At-Arms Harrison J. Pierce were the only other attendees.

Mayor Daniel A. Allgood gaveled the session into order. "The purpose of this special session of the Council is to form a Committee to study the lawsuit filed by Anthony Wilson, et al., and to determine what to instruct the City Attorney to do, either to fight it in Court or negotiate a settlement. Do we have a motion on the floor?"

"I so move, to create a Committee of the Whole to study the lawsuit." said John 'Jack' Colby, his baritone voice coming out of his slender body always faintly shocking.

"I second." said Dagmar Schoen.

"Shall we proceed to the vote?" Mayor Allgood asked.

"Hold on!" Kelly Carnes all but shouted. "My God! you Republicans are such assholes!" There were immediately five objections to Kelly Carnes's potty mouth language. "And you can blow it out your asses!" she retorted. "You Republicans are always trying to ram your White Nationalist agenda through without even a debate!"

Ian McGhillie said "It's a simple enough motion, Carnes. What the hell do you want?"

Carnes: "I want someone to tell me why a Committee is even needed! Why can't we debate and vote on it in open, public session?"

"First, because it's a personnel issue." said Edward R. Steele. "So at the very least, the debate will be in Executive Session."

Kelly Carnes said angrily "So you're trying to hide from the Public that you support Donald Troy's Police brutality and excessive use of force. Figures."

"That's a lie!" yelled Ian McGhillie. "That is actionable slander! I am getting sick and tired of you God damned Democrats saying any lie you want and thinking you can get away with it!"

"BRING IT ON, YOU FUCKING SON OF A BITCH!" yelled Kelly Carnes, standing up to hurl the words at McGhillie. "I am READY for that fight!"

*tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap*

"Sit down, Carnes, or I will have you removed." ordered Mayor Allgood. "The point of the Committee is to discuss the lawsuit, to air our opinions in a private and informal manner, and hopefully a more civil one than we're having right now."

"Again, why?" Kelly Carnes asked, more calmly. "This is a waste of time. What is there to discuss?"

"Well, Lord have mercy!" Edward R. Steele exclaimed with Rudistan-'ish' joviality. "Jupiter is rising today! I actually agree with Mrs. Carnes about something!" Then he looked at Daniel Allgood with reptilian eyes and said flatly "Yes, this is a total waste of time."

"Maybe not." said J.P. Goldman. "We need to make sure of the wording of the resolution, if nothing else. We have to make sure it positively states that we are contesting the lawsuit in Court, fighting it to the last ditch, and that we will not force Commander Troy to either drop the lawsuit or have his indemnity revoked."

"Orrrr..." said Sheila Sorrells, "we could make sure the resolution positively states we're going to settle the lawsuit in Court, that we are dropping any charges against the peaceful protester Anthony Wilson, and that we oppose Commander Troy's countersuit---"

"So!" said Mayor Allgood, interrupting. "Do we have our Committee of the Whole?"

The vote was, you guessed it, 5-5. "My God." Daniel Allgood muttered. "You people can't even agree on one simple resolution to form a Committee. Bu-ut, I get to vote to break the tie, and I do so in favor of the resolution. Do I hear a motion to adjourn this Council meeting, and go into a session of the Committee of the Whole?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:30pm. Edward R. Steele came to the Mountain Nest to pick up his daughter Marie. Before he left, he gave me an update.

"Well, we got the motion we wanted, that you recommended, though I don't understand why." he said. "The motion is to instruct the City Attorney's Office to negotiate a settlement. Susan Weston and Sheila Sorrells tacked on an amendment that requires any settlement state the Town & County and the Mayor & Council neither admit nor accept blame. And Carnes and Silas attached an amendment that requires you to drop your countersuit and initiate no further legal action, and if you refuse your indemnity will be stripped."

Edward: "Also, Dennis Garland had been allowed to speak, and he was all but having a nervous breakdown as he begged us to let him negotiate a settlement that won't get us and him called 'White Nationalist' racists. Soooo, after he left, I introduced an amendment or codicil to the motion that we ask for Garland to resign, and if he doesn't, to flat-out fire him and have someone else negotiate in good faith. To my surprise, we had 8 votes in favor of the amendment... all except Carnes and Silas. So we may be able to pass the resolution next Tuesday."

I said "Don't count on it. Having that amendment puts Garland on notice, but it will really embitter him. You made the resolution with the very real and very correct intention of getting rid of him. The Dems that voted with you did so believing your resolution will be defeated, but an embittered Dennis Garland will be so disgusted that he intentionally will not fight in Court, and the lawsuit will be lost."

Edward said "Well, I expect the motion to fail, either 5-5 or 5-6... ohhhh..."

"Yep." I said, seeing that he was seeing it. "You're now realizing that you cannot count on Daniel Allgood to do the right thing. And that is why I had you have the resolution the way it is. The other way... Allgood can just not vote and let it fail, and he won't be on record as having voted. But the way it actually is, he will have to vote in the affirmative in order to capitulate on the lawsuit... a vote he does not want on his record."

"I see, said the blind man." Edward said thoughtfully.

"He's been trying to pivot to the middle in preparation for the next Mayor's race." I said. "And we have to save him from himself. But more... if he wants to take me down, he will have to be on record voting to do so."

Edward said "But he can just not vote. And then what? Without a clear instruction, Garland can do what he wants. And like you just said, he may sabotage our case."

"And that's why you're going to see some interesting horse trading over the weekend and into next week..."

Part 9 - Seeing Green

Friday, November 19th. The day had been quiet, a little too quiet. The University was playing an away game this weekend, which meant not only no influx of alumni and fans, but a draining of them and students out of Town. Fewer drunk driving arrests? Happier Teresa Croyle, and therefore happier Iron Crowbar.

The Council 'Committee of the Whole' was going to meet the next day, Saturday, to hash out what they were going to do about the Anthony Wilson lawsuit. His family's attorneys had contacted my attorney, Mike G. Todd of the Madison & Ives Law Firm, to open negotiations for a settlement of the portion of it against me. Mike had toned down the response I'd told him to give, and only told those legal beagles to 'pound sand'."

So I got a lot of paperwork done. And I waited.

Just after 5:00pm, the wait ended. Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross called and said she was coming to my office. When she got there five minutes later, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, and I were waiting for her. Yes, this was a Crowbar Angels meeting.

"I just got a call from Tim Jenkins in Southport." Cindy said as she sat down at my hand-gesture invitation. "When he told me why he had called, I told him I'd call him back from your office." She suited her deed to the word, and speed-dialed Tim's number. When he answered, she said "Tim, this is Cindy. I've got you on speaker with Don, Tanya, and Teresa."

"Hi guys." said the FBI Special Agent and father of Cindy's son Benjamin. "Listen, we've got a situation down here. A black man washed up on the shore of the State Line River just north of the red light district. Fingerprints and facial rec identified him as Dwayne Heywood, a.k.a. 'Heywood J', who was one of the Toyota Gang's Black Team."

As Teresa and I exchanged glances at each other, Tanya said "How was he killed?"

"Shot in the back of the head." said Tim. "Small caliber, probably a.22 Long Rifle or.22 Magnum. Looks like a Mob-style execution. But here's why I'm calling you guys. He was wearing blue jeans, a red pullover shirt and a denim jacket. Inside the inner pocket of the denim jacket were several photographs... of Carole and Tasha at school, and Jim and Ross playing soccer for their League team."

"Ho-lee crap." I said.

Tim said "There's also a key to a motel room in the Red Light District. The Southport PD and we are going to raid it just as soon as we can get the warrants. Don, we're hoping you and Teresa can come down and take a look at the body, the pictures, and whatever else we find."

"Uh, yeah." I said. "We'll come down right away. It may be Cindy with me, though... Teresa will stay up here and protect Todd and our families."

"Good enough." said Tim. "And Cindy... y'all better drive down here. There are storm clouds gathering over the State Line River, and they may not let you land any small aircraft."

"Roger that." Cindy said. "See you soon." As she disconnected the call, it was impossible not to notice the look of shock and horror on her face... and I felt the vibe from her like a punch in the stomach.

"What is it?" I asked, turning on my bug-killer.

Cindy said "Similar to you and Laura, Tim and I worked out a few codes in case one of us is compromised and is being used to get at the other. The phrase 'storm clouds gathering' means that what he was saying was being said either under duress or in the presence of others, and he can't deviate from what he was saying. The 'over the State Line River' reference means he's not in physical danger like being held hostage; he would've said 'over the Big River' if that were the case. Ergo, someone was monitoring what he was saying."

"Okay, then, let's get down there." I said.

"It could be a trap." Tanya said.

"And I am famous for walking into those." I replied as I got up...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the sun set to the west and darkness began to envelop the land, two Federal Agents were sitting on the bench at the overlook at the River on the west side of the Fairgrounds, where Marlena and Callie filmed their scene for the soap opera 'Days of Promise' with the redoubtable Bowser (Author's note: 'Soap Opera', Ch. 04.). They were using binoculars to watch the employees parking lot of Police Headquarters.

"There they go." said one of them, seeing Cindy Ross coming out, wearing armor over her civilian clothes. She got into the drivers seat of the Black Beauty, the O65 Imperial Crown with all its wonderful toys. She was followed by the large, broad-shouldered man, whose Tilley Hat did not completely conceal the reddish-blonde hair of the back of his head, and who was obviously wearing armor under his trenchcoat. He got into the shotgun seat, and an instant later the vehicle exited the lot and drove south on Riverside Drive.

The vehicle was burning its embedded blue LED lights as it got onto the Midtown-University Highway south of Town. The Federal Agents in the parking lot of the Sunrise Hotel observed the car as it sped by. "Looks like him, and Ross is with him." said Federal Agent Lindsey Black. "But where's Croyle? She wasn't in the backseat, nearest I could tell."

Federal Agent Karl Coleman sent a text, and got a reply within seconds. "She didn't go with them. She drove straight to Troy's house on the hill. All their families are there, and so is the Sheriff. With Troy out of Town, they're holing up in that A-frame fortress."

"Don't complain." said Lindsey Black. "It makes them easier to watch. Unfortunately, that green contraption they just left in is hard as hell to trace; it doesn't put out any signatures like every car in America with a 'THEFT' light does."

Coleman sent another text and got a reply. "Our people in the Federal Building here and the one in Hamilton County say its Police radio is operating, and Ross and Troy's Police cellphones are pinging. If that holds up, they can be traced all the way to Southport. And if they go dark or turn around, we'll know it immediately."

"Good." Black said. "Okay, it's all set. Let's get this overwith..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:30pm, Friday, November 19th. A large, long, black SUV limousine with Federal Government license plates drove up the alley and parked behind the Smith-Morra Pharmacy and Jewelry Store. FBI Special Agent Cabe Andrews was riding shotgun. The driver was Federal Marshal Herman Toobin.

In the next row was Karl Coleman, seated next to Roger Earnest of the Toyota Gang's Black Team, whose hands were cuffed behind him, and an eyeless hood over his head. In the last row of seats sat Lindsey Black with Danielle 'Dee' Stubbs, who was also handcuffed and hooded.

When they stopped, Coleman roughly pulled the hood off of Earnest's head, and Black did the same to Dee Stubbs. "You know the deal, Earnest." Lindsey Black said. "Get in there and get the thing, bring it back out and give it to me, and we'll let you and your sister here go. Cabe, go with him."

Yes, Roger Earnest and Dee Stubbs were blood brother and sister, separated when she was adopted by the Stubbs family many years before. They were both highly intelligent, and Dee had long since figured it out.

"Don't do it, 'Rahj'." Dee Stubbs said levelly, even dispassionately. "They're going to kill us anyway."

"Shut up, bitch!" Lindsey Black hissed, and made a move as if she were going to hit Dee. Dee did not flinch, nor move. Lindsey turned and said "We told you we'd let you go, once we have the rock, and we will. You'll be on your own, but with your accounting skills, the Mob could probably use you. So what's it going to be, 'Rahj'?" she finished sarcastically.

"Don't do it, Rahj!" Dee said again. Lindsey Black put her service weapon in Dee's earhole.

"All right, all right." Roger said, knowing his only hope was to get away from these perps and find something inside the building that might help him get out of this mess.

He was uncuffed, and Cabe Andrews got out of the front seat and opened the back door. Roger clambered out. He expertly picked the lock, then deactivated the alarm after stepping inside. Then he turned on the lights, illuminating the cluttered back room of the pharmacy.

"Come on, let's go." said Andrews, not quite in a whisper but keeping his voice low. Roger Earnest led him into the pharmacy and through the opening between the buildings, into the jewelry store. Most of the displays were empty; their trays of jewelry were in the safes behind the counters.

"Back here." said Earnest, leading Andrews into the back area of the jewelry store. There were a couple of rooms, one being an office and the other a breakroom, and a large warehouse space. The breakroom light was on, giving dim illumination to the warehouse. Along the back wall was a doorway, bolted high and low, which opened to the same back alley they'd used to drive up behind the pharmacy.

Andrews stopped Roger, and said "Listen, Earnest. You're sister was right; Black and Coleman are going to kill both of you once you hand over the stone. Your dead bodies will be found in here, and the narrative will be that you escaped Federal custody like Heywood J did---"

"What?" Roger said, startled. "Heywood escaped?"

"Not really." said Andrews. "They shot him in the back of the head and put his body on the Big River shoreline, to get the Iron Crowbar out of Town. And that's what they're going to do to you, too, unless you let me help you."

"How?" Roger Earnest asked skeptically.

"Toobin, the Marshal, is in on this with me. We stay in here until Black and Coleman come in. I'll let you run out that door..." Andrews said as he jerked his thumb towards the back door. "I'll tell them you hit me on the head. Meanwhile, Toobin is going to let your sister run. Y'all can find a way to get back together and go hide somewhere. Even if your sister doesn't get away, they won't kill her as long as they don't have the rock."

"All right." Earnest said, knowing he had little choice.

"Go unbolt that door and unlock it." said Cabe Andrews. Earnest did so, taking the bolts out of the hooks embedded in the wall, then unlocking the deadbolts. He felt like running through the door, but knew they had to get Black and Coleman inside the building first.