Woman in Love Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"They think they can get Ross to allow a DNA test of her daughter once Carrington is captured." Bettina said.

"Okay, then." said Katherine. "I didn't hear a word of this. I'll leave you ladies to your plans. By the way, the shit is about to hit the fan over McCombs's stop of that man in the Southwestern Ghetto. The TCPD is going to settle with the man, and while they won't claim liability, you Media guys can chant that up. And then maybe some riots happen here, which is good for us Democrats and bad for our Sheriff and Police Commander..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I'm tellin' ya, man!" said the pug-faced man known as Mr. Handsome. "Jesus Freak snitched!"

They were in the small pool hall called 'The Block House.' It was on MLK Jr. Drive west of the bridge over the River, and the railroad tracks that ran north-south were literally 30 feet further west. The whitewashed concrete-block building's entrance was on the north side, and the east side was painted with a big Coca-Cola logo and 'The Block House' painted above it.

The building was longer east-west than north-south, so the one pool table inside ran east-west, as well. On the west side was a small kitchen with an open window and countertop to the main room, from where hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza, and beer was sold.

It was also the 'headquarters' of Jacquez Wilson. He was a large, muscular black man, with one of the meanest faces anyone would not want to see in front of them. His ham fists were so large and powerful that it was legend they could kill a man with just one punch... but it wasn't a legend: Wilson had killed men with one punch, just as he'd choked men to death or snapped their necks with the raw power of his arms, hands, and fists. It was said that even the Rodrigo-san was frightened of Wilson's physical power.

Jacquez Wilson's other claim to 'fame' was his total, consuming hatred of Police. He was a rising 'star' in the drug trade in the area, and he had one hard-and-fast rule: anyone working for or with him or his people that cooperated with the Police would be subjected to violent death.

When he had heard that 'Ice Cube' Perry was actually an undercover Police Officer, he put out the word that he would reward the person that killed Perry $100,000 in cash. But when the Iron Crowbar had put out the word that Perry was under the protection of the Crowbar, no one had the temerity to attempt to claim the reward. Wilson was a mean man, everyone knew. But they did not know exactly how crazy the Iron Crowbar was, nor what he was truly capable of doing...

Toddler had brought Mr. Handsome to the Block House for an audience with Jacquez Wilson at Mr. Handsome's request. Mr. Handsome was hoping for a reward, a crumb, from Wilson and Toddler. Toddler just hoped his last moment on earth wasn't with Wilson's ham fists crushing his neck.

"Why you say that?" Wilson asked Mr. Handsome, about J.F. snitching.

"I heard J.F. talking to a Deputy, but I couldn't hear what they said." said Mr. Handsome. "Then they came and got him. He came back an hour later, and said they tried to interrogate him without a lawyer, but he wouldn't talk. And then we both got bailed out... by that woman that publishes the newspaper."

Jacquez Wilson's hard eyes glanced over at Toddler, then back to Mr. Handsome. "And they bailed you out, too."

"That's why I'm here." said Mr. Handsome. "I had no part of any of that, and I want to make sure you know I ain't snitchin' or working with the Pigs. I ain't in with J.F. on any of his shit."

Jacquez Wilson nodded, then said "All right. Glad you came correct, Mr. Handsome. Toddler, I want you to call a meeting of your crew. Somewhere quiet, where Pig cameras ain't around. When you hear cars coming up, you guys and Camo get out of the way, find someplace to be that ain't next to Jesus Freak. He's going to meet Jesus tonight."

Toddler said "The roller skating rink by the Quick Stop. I'll have J.F. there tonight."

The Quick Stop was the building where the murder occurred in the Domingo tranny murder case. (Author's note: 'A Day In The Life'.) The club next to the Quick Stop had gone defunct. Someone had tried to start up a roller skating rink there, but that business had failed within 18 months.

"Naw, make it the Quick Stop itself, around the back side of the building, away from the road." said Wilson...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After Katherine had left to go talk to Burt West, Amber said to Bettina "I'm not sure I like this new plan. Ross is the one they're supposed to capture."

Bettina said "I know, but they're the 'experts' in these kinds of things. They want to get Ross off your back to protect your son, who they and we know is Trent Ridge's son. And we have no choice but to let them play their game by their rules."

Amber nodded. "Okay, then. It's set." She got up and left the room.

Bettina checked the tape recorder she'd secretly had running of her conversation with Katherine Woodburn. To her shock, it was all static, as if the Slender Man had been in the room with them. And he might as well have been: Katherine had learned well from the Iron Crowbar years before (Author's note: 'Dark Side Of The Force', Ch. 01.), and her own bug-killing device had done its job to destroy Bettina's attempt to record her racist language...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30pm, Wednesday, May 20th. Cindy, Teresa, and I were enjoying a spread of Chinese takeout in the breakroom. We were all wearing our 'black' uniforms, with Teresa and I wearing pants and Cindy wearing trousers (being Canadian, dontcha know). And we were all wearing armored vests over our uniforms.

I had gone into Cindy's office that morning and filled her in on some information that I knew but no one else did. First, Mort Springer had told me on that airplane that the Rogue SEAL Team knew Trent Ridge was dead. (Author's note: 'Power of Love', Ch. 02-03.) Second, the remaining elements of the Rogue SEAL Team was believed to be in or near our Town & County. And we knew Trent Ridge's son was Amber's son, and his teammates would look after their comrade's child like my friends would look after my children.

I'd surmised they were coming to help Amber against Cindy's (more than) threats to frame Amber and send her to back to prison if anyone at KXTC kept talking about Betty Morelli's baby, who we knew to be Betsy Ross. And I'd surmised that Cindy's parole visit would end up being a trap set for her, especially after Amber so blatantly talked about the SRLC's actions to get a DNA sample from Betsy.

Oh, that... I'd also heard from SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell that SBI Chaplain Ikea had called her and totally denied his or the SRLC's involvement in getting adoption records for Betty Morelli's child, and he had no idea where Amber's story had come from...

"Okay, we've been watching all day." I said in present time as we ate our Chinese food. "We have hidden cameras set up to watch Amber's front yard and back yard, street cams, and Lisa Monroe and Joan Laurer are doing stakeout duty. I asked them to do it just in case The Teacher is not as familiar with them as with everyone else. We also have Bettina's house under surveillance. And we're going to do infrared scans after dark."

"Is that legal?" Cindy asked.

"According to the SCOTUS ruling that Police can scan without a warrant for hot lamps being used to grow weed, yes." I said.

"What about Amber's mother's house?" Teresa asked.

"Empty." I said. "We'll scan it with an IR drone again, but Amber's mom apparently is out of town this week. Conveeeenient, eh?"

Cindy said "Amber's Parole Officer is coming, and he'll have on armor. But we'll have Robert Kalsu and Daniel Patrick from the SWAT Team instead of the usual Parole Officer people, and Laurer and Monroe covering the back. If the perps's plan is to kidnap me, it will be one hell of a firefight, fer sure..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00pm. We moved out in an unmarked 'ubiquitous white van' with ladders on top to look like a painter's van. The Parole Officer, me, Cindy, Vice Detectives Lisa Monroe and Joan Laurer, both armored up, and SWAT's Daniel Patrick were in back. Teresa Croyle was riding shotgun, and SWAT's Robert Kalsu was driving.

"Commander, this is Terry Halston." said Terry Halston on Channel 5 Encrypted Police Radio. "We have no IR signatures in Harris's mother's home. House appears to be empty, and no appliances turned on. Wurtzburg's house has three signatures in an upstairs bedroom, and the TV downstairs is on. Harris's home has two signatures in the main room, the TV is on, and there are two signatures in the back left bedroom upstairs." I acknowledged the report.

"That bedroom would be perfect for an ambush of anyone coming up the stairs." Cindy said. "Someone coming up to the landing would have their back turned to that door."

"Good to know." I said.

"So who's downstairs?" Teresa asked. "It'd be stupid of Bettina and Amber to be there, and in the line of fire."

"I know." I said... then fell into a reverie.

"Something wrong, sir?" Teresa asked.

I said "I dunno... something's not quite right here..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jacquez Wilson got into the shotgun seat of the old Impala. One of his most trusted lieutenants was driving, and another man was in the back seat.

"Let's go twist this nigga's cap around." Wilson said as he worked the action of his powerful handgun, chambering one of the 9mmP rounds with cop-killer bullets. The driver pulled out and crossed the bridge, then turned north on Riverside Drive towards Jefferson Avenue and the Quick Stop...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"That's Bettina's car in the driveway of Amber's house." said Teresa as we passed by the house. "Terry said she gave Amber a ride home and they went inside about 6:00pm, and they have not exited the house by the front or back doors. I asked about the side door out of the garage, and Terry said the camera coverage there is distant, and the shadows of the trees behind it play tricks on the cameras."

"Who lives next to Amber on that side?" I asked. Teresa got on the computer mounted on the vehicle's dashboard.

"Martha Faulkner and her husband." the Iron Wolf said after a moment. "Martha is KXTC's newest reporterette, and she did the 6pm broadcast tonight."

"Terrific." I said. "Bettina and Amber could've gotten to her house, and then left. They may not even be inside Amber's house."

"Sir?" asked Cindy, "What about Amber's children? What happens if they're there?"

"Wait! That's it!" I exclaimed, realizing what had been bothering me. Everyone was staring at me as I grabbed my radio, turned it to Channel 5 Encrypted Radio, and hit the break button.

"Break! Break! Break!" I said. "Commander Troy to Terry Halston. Commander Troy to Halston!"

"Go for Halston." said Halston from the Intel Center.

"Halston!" I said into the radio. "Did your IR scans show small signatures, like small children in the house?"

"Negative, sir." said Halston. "The signatures are what we'd expect to see of adults. Ditto that for Bettina's house."

"What about the house next door?" I asked.

"It's empty, sir. No one is home." reported Halston.

"Roger that." I said. "Thanks, and keep me informed of any changes."

"Roger. Halston out." said Halston.

I looked at the others in the van. "It's good the babies aren't there." I said. "But that means that it's definitely a trap for us."

"What are we going to do?" Cindy asked.

"What do you think, when I'm here with you." I replied with a grin. "We're going to walk right into it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We drove right up into the driveway and parked behind Bettina's car. I took a second to put a tracker on Bettina's car, under the bumper. Then Lisa Monroe, Joan Laurer, and I went along the side of the house, staying pressed to the walls, and around back to the backdoor. Cindy, Kalsu, and and Patrick were with the Parole Officer, who was walking up to the front door with a key in his hand.

"In position." I heard on the wire-fed earpiece from my radio. It was Kalsu. I pointed at Lisa Monroe, who went to work picking the lock of the back door. As she worked, I was behind her when Joan Laurer wedged herself between us, in front of me.

When I looked at her, she whispered "Sir, both Commander Croyle and Captain Muscone were very explicit in their instructions that we were not allowed to let you go ahead of us."

"They are ruining all my fun." I said. "Okay, I'll push the door open, and you two clear the way." Monroe got the lock and I grabbed the handle and pushed the door open and said "Go!"

The alarm was going off as we went into the dark kitchen. Lisa and Joan went to the doorway into the rest of the house while I shut off the alarm with the manufacturer's code. Then I went up behind them.

"Breach. Breach. Breach." I said into the radio. A second later we heard the lock being activated, then the front door opened and the SWAT Officers came in. Joan was holding up her badge so that they would see us across the living room. Kalsu used hand signals to guide his and Patrick's movements, and headed to the den room behind the living room, and to the left of the kitchen as one looked from the front of the house.

Meanwhile, Cindy slowly went up the stairs. When she got far enough to point her weapon between the posts of the railing above, she did so, aiming at the room on the left side. Teresa and Laurer went on up the stairs and melded into the wall. I came up next to Cindy, then past her to the top of the landing, and waved Teresa back to me.

"Crawl to that door and open it, then pull back hard." I whispered into her ear. "It may be booby trapped." Teresa nodded, then I went back to Cindy and whispered "Do not fire unless you see actual human bodies, even if a gun goes off when she opens the door." Cindy nodded.

I signaled for Teresa to go. She reached across and turned the door handle, then Joan pulled her back as she pushed the door open.

*POW!* *POW!* *POW!**POW!*

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There was a fence between the properties of the Quick Stop at Jefferson Ave. and Riverside Drive, and the defunct skating rink building on Jefferson. Twining vines of ivy, honeysuckle, and weeds had used the fence to grow, and the back alley of the Quick Stop was shrouded in darkness as a result. There was a dumpster a third of the way down the alley, just before getting to the back door of the building.

The lights of the skating rink parking lot were mostly not working; only a couple of lights gave any illumination to the entire lot, and they were not near the fence that ran along the right side of the lot and the building.

'Jesus Freak' got out of his car and walked around the side of the Quick Stop and around the back corner. 'Toddler' and 'Camo' were waiting. After exchanging man-hugs, Toddler said "Where's Mr. Handsome?"

"He went in to buy cigarettes." said J.F.

"Those things'll kill him." muttered Camo, and perhaps more accurately than he realized.

"What's this meeting about?" J.F. asked.

"Jacquez Wilson has something for us." said Toddler. "A deal is going down behind the building next door in twenty minutes. Jacquez is bringing the cash------"

Just then, Mr. Handsome came around the corner, drinking a beer he'd just bought. "Damn, man!" said Toddler. "Jacquez don't need us stumblin' around sloppy drunk!"

"It's just one." said Mr. Handsome. "I'll go throw it in the dumpster." As they watched the older man walk over to the dumpster to throw the beer away, they didn't think to ask why he didn't just throw it on the pavement. And that lack of thought would cost them...

The old Impala gathered speed as it hurtled north on Riverside Drive, then suddenly turned into the Quick Stop parking lot. Two people all but dived out of the way as the car hurtled around the side of the building. The passenger-side windows were down and two powerful handguns were ready to fire...

*BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!*

To be continued.