All Comments on 'WOW!'

by Sir_Erotica

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
Epiphany_JonesEpiphany_Jonesover 9 years ago
Having lived in Germany for almost 4 years, I think you overdid the "poor English" aspect.

Yes, their syntax is their own, but most Germans, if you asked them "How well do you speak English?", would say "I speak a little..." and then demonstrate better grammar than the typical American.

My point is this: With vocabulary they also learn grammar. As a general rule, as their vocabulary grows, their grammar improves. And so, if "Volly" was capable of conversational English, her grammar would have (should have) been better. She wouldn't have sounded quite so much like a Deutsch Yoda.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
The news of the verb demotion ...

to the end of the clause are a bit overstated (with many thanks to Mark Twain).

In a main clause, the word order is nearly the same as in english. Only participles added to an auxiliary verb, or the preposition used to build a compound verb (zu-stimmen, to agree(with) ) are placed at the end of the clause.

[ In einem Hauptsatz ist die Wortreihenfolge nahezu dieselbe wie auf Englisch. Nur Partizipe zu einem Hilfsverb oder Pràpositionen eines zusammengesetztes Verbs werden ans Ende des (Haupt-)Satzews gestellt. ]

In a subordinate clause, however, it is true that the verb is placed at the end of that clause.

[ Es ist hingegen wahr, dass in einem Nebensatz das Verb an das Ende desselben gestellt wird. ] Note the word order : participle, verb.

IANAL, but only a guy born in a french speaking area of Switzerland and having lived about 50 years in the german speaking areas of that country, so my german may not be 100% proof, since we tend to speak local dialects. Not to say anything of my english ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever the grammatical canons, if was funny to parse the dialogs according to these strange rules. But why weren't the Nouns capitalized in Volly's mouth ? We always do so here ...

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Uggh

You wrote Volly's English skills to be so crappy as to make the story unreadable. Please rewrite the story with her speaking something at least close to understandable English.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous