Just a Story Ch. 03

Story Info
Conclusion; pranks, elections, and intrigue.
9.8k words
4.82
10.9k
3

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 07/02/2023
Created 01/19/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas..

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 9 - How The Mighty Do Fall

On the morning of Wednesday, November 2d, I went into the locker room to get changed. There were a number of uniformed officers there, including Rudistan and Morton. Ranks notwithstanding, they gave me a good razzing.

"Have a good evening last night, Commander?" Rudistan asked.

"I gave my wife a car for her birthday." I replied with a grin. "What do you think?"

"I think you better be having a good week for that, Commander." said Rudistan, to chuckles from the other officers. "That was one hell of a ride you gave her... meaning the car, sir." I broke out laughing, as did the other officers.

"The car, and everything else, too." I said. "Now I need to find a place where all you cockblockers aren't patrolling." More laughter.

"Sir," said Sr. Patrolman Johnson, "why didn't you guys just go across the State Line and park in one of the farm fields? That's what the high school kids around here do."

"Yeah, I should've." I said. "But with my luck last night, I would've been arrested for transporting a woman across State lines for illicit purposes."

"Is there really a law like that, sir?" asked McGhillie.

"There used to be. Federal law." I said. "As far as I know, it's still on the books. Anyway, and all kidding aside, I'm going to have you guys patrolling around Point Hollow more often. I could've sworn I saw a light on inside the house as we were pulling out, but then it was turned back off when I turned to look more closely."

"Think it's pranksters, or drug dealers, sir?" asked Johnson.

"I dunno." I said. "But we're going to run more checks up there, and see if anyone is messing around... and I don't mean in the backseats of their cars..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the lovely redhead reporterette on Friday, November 4th at 7:00am, from in front of City Hall. "Channel Two News has learned that there could be a tectonic shift in the local elections today! Sheila Sorrells, who is running third in the race for the open Council seat vacated by the death of Pastor Raymond Westboro, has called a press conference for ten o'clock this morning!"

Bettina went on: "Sources tell Channel Two News that Ms. Sorrells may endorse one of the two leading candidates in the race, either Loran T. Michaels or Scott Peterson. Experts say that her endorsement could be enough to put either candidate over the top without a runoff, saving the County millions in taxpayer dollars!"

"And in the Governor's race," Bettina said, "experts say that SBI Director Jack Lewis is well on his way to victory. He leads in all the major polls by an average of 49-45%. Early voting is expected to strongly favor the Democrats, so Governor Val Jared will need numbers in the final days that experts say he simply will be unable to get. It increasingly looks like Jack Lewis will be the next Governor of the State."

I could see what Bettina and all the Media were doing. They'd been chanting that 'it looks like the winner will be Lewis' shit over and over and over, as if it were a fait accompli, and clearly the Media was trying to tell the Public how to vote. The Media would never admit it; they'd just say 'that is what the polls are telling us!', but they were making every effort to demoralize as well as demonize Jared supporters. I need not add that the name 'Dick Ferrell' had vanished from Media reports as thoroughly as the man himself had vanished from the public eye.

Bettina was still going: "And let's go to Nick Eastwood for Sports. Nick!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said handsome young Nick Eastwood, who was standing in front of the Bulldogs' Athletic Complex on Campus. "The Bulldogs will try to get over their stinging loss to the Wildcats by visiting Protestant this weekend. The Wildcats will have a second straight road game as they visit the Tigers, their opponent in the Conference Championship game last year..."

"GO TIGERS!" yelled a voice. It belonged to a platinum blonde wielding a green crowbar. Cindy came in and poured herself coffee, as I made no effort to pour any for her.

"That empty Lieutenant's office needs filling." I said. "I might just put a bad Captain in there." Joanne Warner and Theo Washington tried, and failed, to hide grins.

"Oh c'mon," Cindy said, "we need you to lose twice to get to the Conference title game. So yeah, I'm a big-time Tigers fan this weekend."

As to the offices, Classroom 'F' had been transformed into cubicle offices for the Mouseketeers and Detective Krueger in a miraculous time of two days, and Teresa had already moved into the renovated office next to Cindy. I dreaded the day Tanya Perlman would find out about that...

"So, Captain," I said, "my son, Ross, who coincidentally is your nephew, will be two years old tomorrow, and we'll have a party at The Cabin. You are coming, aren't you?"

"Wouldn't miss it." Cindy said. "And today is Todd's son Doug's birthday, so they and Teresa will be joining us."

"That's right, we will." said Captain Teresa Croyle, who had just come in wearing her uniform of light blue shirt with dark blue soft shoulderboards with silver Captain bars embroidered on them, and the silver-bordered white rectangle (Police Cross) and gold-bordered purple rectangle (multiple Purple Orders) over her right shirt pocket. She was also wearing dark blue pants with a thick light blue stripe on the sides.

Cindy was wearing the same uniform, except her rectangles were silver-bordered red (M.O.V.), silver-bordered blue (Distinguished Service Medal), and gold-bordered purple. My uniform was almost the same, except I was wearing soft shoulderboards with the embroidered silver Commander rank, and my red rectangle was gold-bordered (multiple M.O.V.s) while the new blue rectangle and old purple rectangle were silver bordered. I had two thin light blue 'piping' lines down the sides of my pants.

"Okay, ladies," I said, "my office at 8:00am for the 'Angels' meeting." I was now only meeting with Cindy and Teresa, though sometimes Lt. Curly Goodwin of Internal Affairs would join the meeting, and sometimes I invited Della Harlow in, as well. Ergo, it had essentially become the 'Crowbar Angels' meeting again...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 10:00am, everyone was crowded into MCD: Detectives, Uniformed Officers, Personnel & Records Officers, and their leadership, including the Chief, who was wearing a standard dark blue uniform with double thin line of light blue piping on the pants, and a thick strip on the long sleeves near the wrists, and silver metal eagles on the shoulder epaulets.

On a podium set up in Courthouse Square, Sheila Sorrells came up to the dias with Loran T. Michaels. "Thank you for coming." Sorrells said into the microphone. "Today I am announcing that I am suspending my campaign for the open Council seat, and I am endorsing Public Health Officer Loran Michaels for the post! Loran Michaels will do an excellent job on the Council, as he has done as Public Health Officer, and by electing him, we can save the County the trouble and expense of a runoff election..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy and I went to the Cop Bar for lunch. We sat at the 'Command' table near the back room. As she ate her steak salad and I ate a double cheeseburger and fries (very delicious), she said "Did you invite Melina and Daniel to the birthday party? Doug is her son, after all."

"Laura did invite them," I replied, "but Melina is going to be out of Town."

"Yes, she is." said a voice. We looked up to see Sheriff Daniel Allgood coming up to us. "Mind if I join you folks?"

"Sure." I said, after Cindy and I had exchanged glances. Daniel took the chair to my left and Cindy's right.

"Well," Daniel said, "Congratulations to all of you on your medals last Tuesday."

"We were wondering where you were." I said.

"The State Sheriff's Association held a meeting in Midtown on Tuesday." Daniel said. "Well, that's the story for the Public. What really happened was that we were all asked to attend a meeting to discuss the upcoming elections. Especially security for them. With the SBI Director running against the incumbent Governor, some members of the Legislature have asked that the various county sheriffs be on particular lookout for fraud, hacking, and possible violent demonstrations. The FBI also briefed us, and you'll probably get that briefing, too."

"We did. Yesterday." I said. "Was the SBI involved in the briefing to the Sheriffs?"

"Yes, they were." said Daniel. "And before you say it, the first thing that crossed my mind, also, was that the SBI will try to fuck with the results themselves then blame the Russians if they get caught, or something like that."

"Wouldn't shock me at all." I said. "I also asked the FBI to watch out for extra votes being 'found' in the trunks of cars, then activist judges allowing them to count. The FBI put out a memo to everyone, including the Court system and the various Election Boards. I can just hear the shredders at work now."

Daniel and Cindy both chuckled as Daniel's fish and chips basket arrived. We all finished eating, and then Daniel said "Okay, Don... let's play the game."

"Let's play." I said, having fully expected this. Cindy looked a bit confused, but I knew she would soon catch up.

"I won't even bother asking to talk to you alone." said Daniel. "Not even crowbars can separate the Crowbars."

"C'est vrai." I replied. Cindy was trying hard not to glare at Daniel, so I said "Last Saturday was the exception, of course. Don't mention the name 'Washington' to her." Now Cindy was not trying to hide her glare, and it was directed at Your Iron Wildcat.

Daniel looked a little queasy, as well. "Yes, that hurt. Worse than the 70-0 loss last year." He then got down to business, leaning forward and talking more quietly. "As you guys know, Sheila Sorrells endorsed Loran Michaels this morning. And I'm politician enough to know that that will pretty much kill Scott's campaign." Cindy and I both nodded, wondering where the Sheriff was leading us with this.

Allgood said "Scott's holding out hope for a runoff, but he's already talking to me about putting him in as Public Health Officer. Now Scott's my friend, but he's no real administrator. And he would technically outrank you, Don, and he would just love to lord it over you in that capacity."

"Harumph!" said Cindy. "Like the Iron Crowbar is going to let anyone lord over him..." It was my turn to look queasy; the Sheriff could easily take that as a remark directed at himself.

"Yeah, I know, I know." said Daniel, letting it pass. "Look, I can convince Scott to remain in the Sheriff's Department, but I want a couple of things from you."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Leave Scott alone about Priya Ajmani." said the Sheriff. "It's not like you and Bettina Wurtzburg haven't hooked up, and you and Priya, Captain. So can we just call a truce on all that, and let it flow by with the River's waters?"

Cindy glared at the mention of her sexual liaisons with Priya, but I just shrugged my shoulders. "Okay. What else?" I asked.

"Don, can you find a way to call off your Chief, get him off my back?" asked Daniel. "It really is a bad situation, and word is getting out and people are talking. I can't let him continue to disrespect me, just as you didn't let Scott get away with disrespecting you. Of course..."

"What?" I asked, playing the Game but feeling bored.

"If you want to be Police Chief yourself, now's your chance." Daniel said. Cindy tried to hide her shock at what she was hearing, probably not trusting her ears.

"I don't want to be Police Chief." I said. "Not now. I'm in exactly the right place now. I can still act to take down the criminals that dare to make mischief in my County, and I can lead others in the practice of busting those perps."

"So, what do you want to do?" asked Daniel.

"Let me ask this... who do you want to put into the Public Health Officer position?" I asked.

"I have no earthly idea." said Daniel. "I won't be surprised if Michaels suggests Sheila Sorrells."

"I think he'll maneuver to get her on the Board of Commissioners." I said. The Board of Commissioners were one of the County's remaining bastions of corruption. There were six of them, three voted from what coincidentally were the three Police precincts, and three 'at large' positions, but vacancies were appointed by the Mayor and Council... and there always seemed to be vacancies.

The Mayor and Board of Commissioners sat for almost anything needing a board. We had no real Board of Education... the Board of Commissioners was that. We had no Board of Elections... the Board of Commissioners was that. And so on, and so forth.

"Or maybe she and Jenna Stiles will throw in together and do something." I said, getting Cindy's attention at the mention of her former fiancée's name. "I was wondering about administrators from other Departments... Fire Marshal Singer, Personnel & Records Captain Weston, even Deputy Chief Harlow, if she wanted to consider the PHO job."

"Yes, some of those names have come to mind." Daniel said. "I can tell you that Zoe Singer has already shot me down when I brought it up. She is to the Fire Marshal job what you are to the Police Commander job, Don. Can't budge either of you."

"Smart Commanders, we are." I said.

Cindy could not help herself. "I think Captain Weston would be a perfect choice." she said. "She knows how to kiss ass politically in order to make political gains."

"Susan is a good administrator." I said. "But Cindy, do you really want her outranking us both? As to Della... well, maybe this can solve all our problems..."

"Say that again?" asked Cindy, still stunned. "What problems?"

"Oh, the Sheriff here will have to talk to Della about her desires for the PHO job." I said. "It might help things greatly if he does that by first asking the Chief if he can talk to Della. And he will respectfully say 'yes, you can talk to her'. And then y'all can start talking to each other..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Please to remember...

"Remember, remember the Fifth of November," I recited, wearing my 'Anonymous' mask, "the Gunpowder Treason and Plot; I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot.

"Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent, to blow up King and Parli'ment." I continued. "Three-score barrels of powder below, to prove old England's overthrow. By God's providence he was catch'd, with a dark lantern and burning match. Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring. Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!"

Everyone at the party at The Cabin applauded after I recited the poem, and Carole yelled out "Yay, Daddy!"... after I took off the 'Anonymous' mask. Then we had two cakes, one for little Doug Burke and one for Ross McAlister Troy. At the party were me, Laura, my mom Phyllis, Cindy, Teresa, Todd, Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart, Molly, and of course all the kids and their guardians, Buddy and Bowser.

Dr. Eckhart had delivered the upgraded Black Beauty to the Cabin by the expedient of driving it at an unreasonably high rate of speed. His daughter was in the car with him, which was the only thing that saved him from a traffic ticket when he was pulled over by Sergeant Rudistan and Sr. Patrolman Morton.

The University's Bulldogs had won the early game against Protestant, 38-6. The Wildcats game against the Tigers was the mid-afternoon game, and me, Todd, Dr. Eckhart, and Teresa settled down to watch it while Laura, Phyllis, Cindy and Molly talked and played with the kids. I need not say that Bowser was with Carole, while Buddy was in Teresa's lap or sitting beside her at all times...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

By the end of the game, Cindy was watching as avidly as anyone. I was listening to Wildcat Radio as the announcer said "... and the time is winding down. The Tigers have played a stellar game, and they're going to defeat the Wildcats today. It's 28-10, Tigers, and they kneel down, and that'll be it... the Tigers avenge their Conference Championship game loss, defeating a No. 1 team for the first time ever... and time expires, and the Wildcats have lost their first game in over two years. The once-beaten Tigers can expect to move into the Top 5 after this upset win..."

Your Iron Crowbar was most very unhappy.

Cindy came up from behind me and put her arms around me in a hug. "Ohhhh, how the mighty have fallen!" she whispered into my ear. I just shook my head sadly.

Then Carole came up to me, Bowser right behind her. "Daddy, why are you so sad?" my astute daughter asked. I picked her up and she stood on my legs.

"Because the Wildcats lost, Sweetpea." I said.

Carole gave me a hug and said "I'm sorry, Daddy."

"Don't be, sweetie." I said, hugging her back. "I'm happy when you hug me." Bowser barked at me, and I reached down to pet him, and said "And I'm happy when Bowser is here with us, too."

"Bowser is a good dog." said Carole, in the form of a quotation. Bowser wagged his tail, pure love in his canine eyes.

Cindy said "I needed a hug from Carole last week." Carole dutifully reached out for Cindy, who picked her up and got a hug as a reward.

"Y'all are still ahead in the Conference race." said Todd. "I don't think anyone else is going to beat you."

"That's true." I said. "But I think our national title hopes are gone. Too many undefeated teams ahead of us."

"Okay, everyone," announced my mother, "dinner is ready. And a few extra drinks for you, Son..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ah, young Donald." said Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart as he came up to me on the deck in the dark after dinner. "Please don't tell me you are really that despondent over your team's loss."

"How was Cindy last week?" I replied.

"Oh, she was despondent, too." said Eckhart with a small, sinister-sounding chuckle. "May I join you for a moment?"

"Certainly." I said. "And I'm not feeling that bad. We played badly, had a hangover from last week. Life goes on. Perps to catch. Babies to raise."

"Ah, good." said Eckhart, sitting down in the metal mesh chair to the left of the metal loveseat I was sitting in. "Ah, what a view! I just love this view from this height."

"Me, too." I said. "And more than the view, I like looking at my Town."

"Yes, indeed... and a very interesting hamlet it is. So small, yet so full of... humanity." said Eckhart, somewhat cryptically. Then he said "What I wanted to talk to you about, and preferably without my daughter hearing it, is that some strange things have been going on around 'The Vision' Headquarters."

"Oh, what's that?" I asked.

"As you know, I keep very good security there." said Dr. Eckhart. "We have observed people trying to watch the compound with field glasses from the outside. We called the Sheriff to ask those persons to move along, and they would always run as soon as they got wind of the Sheriff coming... well in advance."

"Then," continued Eckhart, "we had some attempts to penetrate the outer fences, mostly from the other side of the River. Of course we sent immediate security patrols, and whoever was probing us quickly left."