Just a Story Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bettina said "Dr. Romanov, these results are simply nothing like our exit polling data. What has happened here?"

"This needs to be investigated, Bettina." said Romanov. "There has to be fraud. There has to be hacking into the computers. The exit polling data has been consistent with our polling for weeks. We need to know why these numbers tonight are so different..."

Meanwhile, Diane Williams was talking to John Hardwood on a feed. "John, this is so shocking... our exit polling data all day pointed to a huge Lewis victory. Yet he's already conceding."

"Diane," said John Hardwood, "we really are going to have to question the veracity of the polling. Obviously people lied to the poll takers, both today and for the past several weeks."

"John," said Diane, "what are some of the reasons for these dolts... I mean voters... voting for Mr. Jared over Mr. Lewis?"

Hardwood replied "We're not sure that we can trust what we were told, Diane. But many people cited SBI NTF Director Ferrell throwing a paraplegic woman out of her wheelchair and then throwing the wheelchair on her legs as a big reason. They also believe there was corruption in the handling of that case, and trying to hide Agent Ferrell's actions behind the smoke screen of a 'security review' and 'ongoing investigations'. The People of the State were just tired of the SBI corruption, Diane."

Meanwhile, Bettina was talking to Tim Sioban, who said "Yes, Bettina, the exit polls were wrong, but the data we did get suggests that SBI corruption was the problem for Director Lewis. An overwhelming number of Jared voters cite SBI corruption as their most important factor in choosing their next Governor. And that same overwhelming percentage say the SBI needs to be reformed or totally dissolved..."

Part 11 - Aftermath and Forewarning

Like 'Reveille' following 'Taps' at Joe Smedley's funeral, one chapter closed as new ones opened...

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely MILF redhead from the front steps of City Hall at 7:00am, Thursday, November 10th. "The courts have denied Scott Peterson's lawsuit in his attempt to force a recount in his election loss to Loran T. Michaels for the open Council seat. Michaels's 52-45% win was higher than the half-percent threshold needed for a run-off."

Bettina went on: "However, there may be trouble brewing around that Council seat. Councilpersons Thomas P. Cook and Kelly Carnes are insisting that Michaels be sworn in immediately, while John Colby and Dagmar Schoen are stating that this election was for that seat in the coming years, not to replace Westboro now. They are saying that if Michaels is sworn in now, a separate election will be needed for the seat for next year."

"And in the aftermath of the Governor's race, the Democrats are calling for an investigation into the shocking win by Governor Val Jared over SBI Director Jack Lewis, citing the election results being so different from polling data, especially the exit polls. The Jared Campaign said that the the vote of the People is what counts, not the media-manipulated exit polls, and that the Democrats are trying to harm the credibility of the election process by saying the exit polls were correct when they obviously never were. For more on this, let's go to Amber Harris at the Decision Desk. Amber!"

"Thank you Bettina!" said Amber Harris, who definitely looked unhappy as she talked about Val Jared's win over the Democrat Lewis. "I have with me Dr. Romanov of the University Center for Politics, and Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling. Karl... what happened?"

"Amber, we're just going to have to admit that the polling data was wrong." said Frazier. "Obviously the Jared supporters did not answer our pollsters' questions, or else they flat out lied to our pollsters. I would also say that the pollsters sampled in accordance with the turnouts of the last election, and that differed from this year's turnout, which was much more favorable to Jared."

"Dr. Romanov," said Amber, "there's absolutely no evidence of election fraud or tampering, so does this mean that the voters have rejected the Democrats' platform of climate change, more regulation of businesses, and higher taxes?" Amber was obviously trying to add drama and angst with that question.

"Amber," said Dr. Romanov, "obviously we are going to have to go back and look at what happened here. There needs to be the political equivalent of a forensic examination of these results and this election. It is obviously a stunning result. My own studies over the last couple of days suggest that this was in no way an endorsement or mandate for Val Jared and the Republicans, but a rejection of Director Lewis and the actions of SBI Agents under him that have stained him despite his personal innocence in those incidents."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

He came to me.

Governor Val Jared came to my County, ostensibly to the University to address the professors of all the Schools in the State. I received a phone call, asking me to come to the University President's office. Considering it was my wife Laura that called, I couldn't say 'no'.

I was wearing my semi-formal uniform: white shirt, black tie, dark blue pants with double-light-blue stripes down the side, and dark blue Police jacket with ribbons. Everything was shined up and looking sharp... after all, I would be in my wife's presence and I wanted to impress her.

When I was ushered into the side room next to the President's office, three men rose to greet me: Governor Jared, University President Sidney P. Wellman, and Chief Griswold. After a moment of chit-chat and making sure we had adequate coffee or water, Dr. Wellman excused himself.

"First of all, Don," said the Governor, "I want to thank you for your contributions to my campaign, particularly your very sound advice on how to run it. I am not sure those mealy-mouth political hacks could've won a race for dog-catcher."

"If it meant defeating Jack Lewis, sir," I said, "then I am glad to have been helpful to you."

"So, I won't waste your time." said the Governor. "The Directorship of the SBI is yours if you want it."

"What is going to happen to the current Director of the SBI?" I asked. Chief Griswold's mustaches twitched just a bit in amusement. The Governor looked like he needed a 'Tums'.

"Yesterday," said the Governor, "Jack Lewis came to my office. It was not a public meeting, it was not in front of the cameras nor known to the Media. During that meeting, Lewis offered to resign as head of the SBI and go away quietly, but in exchange he wants all investigations of him dropped, which he says can be announced 'in a spirit of reconciliation'. He also wants the investigations of the SBI and Dick Ferrell to more quietly go away."

"Is Ferrell leaving the SBI?" I asked.

"That will be a condition of discontinuing the investigations of him." said the Governor. He immediately knew from my face that it had been the wrong thing to say.

"Governor," I said, "Richard Ferrell physically harmed Tanya Perlman. I would suggest he was trying to kill her, and may have done so if others had not arrived in time. Richard Ferrell was absolutely part of Leonard Sharples's attempt to murder me. Richard Ferrell is the dirtiest person in the employment of this State, and that includes Jack Lewis on the list. I cannot believe you would even consider not bringing the hammer down on Richard Ferrell with as much political power as the SBI, the State Department of Justice, and the Courts have to bring to bear upon him."

"Don, we've got to move forward." said the Governor. "The Democrats are threatening 'scorched earth', opposing and blocking anything and everything we want to do, and promising to waste untold amounts of money on specious but endless investigations into trumped-up allegations of anything they and their Media partners can gin up."

"So what?!" I thundered back. I sucked in my breath, catching myself before I exploded on this spineless dishrag of a man (and we're not talking Chief Griswold, here).

"Governor..." I said, "you were not elected because you are a Republican. You were not elected just because the SBI is dirty and Jack Lewis is dirty. You were elected because you set yourself apart, as an 'outsider', as not being an 'Establishment' Republican Elitist."

I continued: "This happens every time: the Republicans win, then they fuck it up as quickly as possible. You were elected, sir, to oppose the Democrats, not appease them. You're sitting here complaining about the Democrats going 'scorched earth' on you and the Republicans? Why don't you and the Republicans go 'scorched earth' on them?"

The Governor was not looking happy as I drove on: "The Media and the Democrats say you have to work with them. Their idea of 'working with them' is to do what they order you to do. They say you have to 'compromise'. Their definition of compromise is for you to do exactly what they tell you to do, and maybe they'll give you the crumbs of... well, never mind."

I was about to say "giving you a reach-around", but Chief Griswold would've ripped me a new one if I had said that.

"Governor," I said, "you may have to drag those mealy-mouthed, spineless dishrags like Wilson Hammonds and Sean Stockton along with you, but you frickin' WON. Now assume the pedestal and LEAD, sir!"

"All right, all right." said the Governor. "I hear you. But politics is not like policework, Commander. I can't go in swinging a crowbar around."

"Sir," I said, "first of all, swinging crowbars is not good police work, and I only use my crowbar when it's needed. Second, you actually CAN go in swinging a crowbar, politically speaking, much more readily and effectively than I can as a policeman. And the People want to see that, and they want to see the Republicans stand up to the Democrats... who seem to have NO problem standing up to the Republicans... and the People WILL support you if you do the right things."

Chief Griswold just looked at his longtime friend and said "He's right, you know."

"So," said the Governor, "can I start calling you 'SBI Director Troy' now?"

"I have better ideas for you, if you want to hear them..." I replied. This was the point where Chief Griswold began looking relieved...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thank you, Sheriff," said Commander Della Harlow, "but I am very happy where I am now, and would like to remain as Deputy Police Chief."

"I don't blame you a bit." said Sheriff Daniel Allgood. They were in the Main Conference Room at Police Headquarters. Also there were Police Chief Moynahan, Fire Chief Quinlin, and me, Your Iron Crowbar.

"So," asked the Sheriff, "any ideas from any of y'all about who I should put into the slot? It won't be Scott Peterson. Loran Michaels suggested his Assistant Public Health Officer, Beth Paige."

Della said "I'll suggest you consider Captain Susan Weston, Sheriff. She's a good administrator, ran the 3d Precinct very well, and is doing double-duty as Personnel & Records and Public Relations Officer right now."

"Chief, Commander," asked the Sheriff, "anything on that?" The Chief deferred to me.

I said "I concur with that, but will add the warning that Captain Weston can be prickly in her relations with others, And while she's okay at Public Relations, she doesn't like doing it. Give her paperwork and she's great; make her work with people, and 'little things' start popping up."

Fire Chief Quinlin said "Sheriff, Beth Paige is a fighter, and won't let anyone run her over. Maybe her as PHO and Weston as Assistant PHO?" We all murmured agreement with that idea.

"Okay, then." said the Sheriff. "I'll let you Commanders get back to minding the store. If you Chiefs will come to the Cop Bar with me, I'll buy lunch." We all got up to go.

Della and I got out of there first. I motioned for Della to come to my office. As we sat down, Della said "Looks like the Chief and the Sheriff are working out their problems."

"They're trying to." I said. "Which is all we can ask of them, I guess. So, who are you thinking about to replace Weston?"

Della said "Janice Holloway will handle Personnel & Records. Brevetted Lieutenant doing a Captain's job. Almost shameful the way we put people in these jobs without paying them properly."

"True." I said. "Cindy Ross was in that situation for a long time, too. What about Public Relations?"

"That's the one that's becoming a problem." Della said. "I thought about just handling it myself, but Chief Moynahan said he did not approve of that. He said that is a job to be delegated if ever there was one. By the way, I don't think he's really all that happy that you're not filling the MCD Lieutenant role, and letting Captain Ross be in direct control of that."

"Yes, I know." I said drily. "As to Press Relations, I do have one suggestion, and it's just an idea and I'll understand if you don't like it: since we're killing off a Precinct, Captain Briscoe needs a place to be."

"Isn't he retiring soon?" asked Della.

"If we make him a full Captain, he'll probably stay on one more year." I replied. "He can handle the Press pretty well, and he's good with the Public and will be a good liaison with the Council on the Chief's behalf."

"It makes sense." said Della. "I'll bring it up with the Chief, and ask Briscoe if he's interested.

Part 12 - Epilogue

The man looked up from his desk as he heard the click of her high heels as she approached. She looked damn fine in that clingy gray dress, solid back stockings, and gray high heel pumps, he thought to himself.

"Yes, Agent Huntress, what can I do for you?"

"I just have a question, Mr. C." she replied. "Why hasn't my sister, Scorpion, been allowed to retire yet?"

"We've approved her retirement papers," the man said, "but we're asking her to do one more mission in the field first. She's been working out with the women in your former gym to prepare."

"Ah." said Melina Allgood, whose CIA codename was 'Huntress'. "Thank you, sir. If I can help with her mission, I'd be glad to."

"If we find that need, you'll be the first I contact." he said. "And speaking of missions, what is going on with Wallace Bedford and his group?"

"They're laying the groundwork for their operations." said the Huntress. "But there may be problems. Someone tried to recruit Michael Burke's wife into their fold, and she was a poor choice to make that attempt. I'm getting word she has spoken to others about it... and one of others is one of my ex-husband's police officers."

"Oh, that won't do." said Mr. C. "Keep your eye on that, and inform me if any problems arise. If there's nothing else, have a good day."

"Have a good day, sir." she said. She turned and walked off, and he could not help but watch her magnificent ass in the tight dress as she departed.

He stood up. He was a tall man, and he always wore three-piece suits with a vest, and with a gold watch on a chain. He looked somewhat like the author and philosopher Napoleon Hill, whose teachings Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart and other self-help gurus had studied. Like the woman the Iron Crowbar had surmised was named 'Diana', this man's name was classified, and speaking it was a treasonable offense. Ergo, he was simply called 'Mr. C.'.

Ah, yes, the Iron Crowbar, he thought to himself. How that man had defeated 'Operation Apple Grove', he did not know. How that man had defeated Pastor Raymond Westboro, the most brilliant criminal mastermind of our age, he did not know.

And how that man had survived the torture that Casey B. Walker had inflicted upon him... he did not know. He remembered looking down at Commander Troy, very nearly dead on the last day of his ordeal. Now, Troy was not only still alive, he was still a tremendous threat... as was his wife.

The Huntress was a loyal Agent, the man thought to himself. The Scorpion was no longer considered to be. And there was too much at stake to let loose ends unravel...

Finis.