The Extra

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So sorry, Walker, a long and happy marriage is a blessing."

"Yeah, I thought so. Once my marriage broke up I took it badly. All my old haunts were ruined for me as I kept rememberin' the times we spent there as a couple. Remember, we had been together since we was kids, so everywhere I'd ever been, held memories of us rather than just my memories. And I kept seein' her around town with her new man all the time, so I got out and went over to the States to work."

"And now you're back, to stay this time, or are you hankering to get back?"

"Dunno, really Bill, I am living with my Mum, I'm 49 and I fully expected to have got a lot more out of life than it looks like I'll have by the time I'm 50. I only came back to the UK for Mum couple of years ago when she fell ill. Now she seems fit as a fiddle and set to go on for another ten or fifteen years at least. I have more than enough savings to buy my own place and settle back down here, but I'm not that eager to live alone."

Bill nodded and smiled but didn't comment.

"I'll keep on doing this contract until you get back to work, Bill, then maybe go back to the States and see if I can pick up where I left off, maybe swallow my pride and work for my second ex-wife."

"So, really nothing keeping you over here?"

"I guess not." Walker paused, "Doreen not visiting?"

"She was here at lunchtime, I didn't want her just hanging around all day. My Shirley picked her up before she did the school run to collect the grandkids."

"And Abi's still away in LA, I guess?"

"She's due back tomorrow night and be back in work Wednesday, I think. She's a really nice girl, isn't she?"

"She does seem nice, though I only met her the twice. I thought, well that she was a relative of yours or Doreen's rather than someone in the make-up department on the show."

"Oh, we've known her for years, Walker. Abi used to lodge with us on and off for a couple of years after her parents had to tour abroad because of their work. They take repertoire theatre to out of the way places around the world. Now she's got her own place, but she pops in and sees me on set whenever she can."

"How long she had her own place?"

"I think she moved about four years ago now, something like that."

"She only looks about 18?"

"True, she looks young but she's actually in her mid-twenties."

"Oh, still very young and presumably not settled down if she's jetting around on jobs abroad."

"No, she's not settled, yet. She's a very sensible girl and extremely picky who she goes out with, is our Abigail. I thought she was quite taken with you on first meeting, though."

"Ha! Get away!" he laughed, "I was quite taken with her too, but I'm twice her age, and I've hardly got much in the way of prospects."

"I don't know, Walker, you're good with your hands and smart, you'll always find work, and Abi is always in demand, too. Between you, I'm sure you'd do all right."

"Well, we'll have to see." He looked up at Bill's eyes and added, "Nothing wrong with having dreams, whether they come true or not."

Chapter 5. Dating

ABI CAME TO visit with him in the workshop early on the Wednesday, her first day back in work. Walker had only been in for half an hour or so and was working on inlays for the big dining table while the Studio was still quiet, before the expected bustle once the director and actors turned up with the rest of the support staff.

"Hi Walker," she said cheerily, "How're you doing?"

"Oh, hi Abi, I'm fine, wha'bout you?" he replied, "What was your trip like?"

"I'm fine, and the trip was OK I suppose, but I'm so glad to be home again, really. Is it all right if I sit here and watch you work for a while?" indicating one of the Sheraton dining room chairs by the wall, now finished and upholstered. "I used to watch Bill all the time."

"Yes, of course. Feel free ."

She picked it up. "Wow, this is so light and delicate, you sure it's ok to sit on?"

"Sure, those chairs were designed to give perfect service for several hundred years seating well-fed and wealthy diners indulging in dinners with multiple courses, so it'll have no problem with your neat frame."

She settled herself, her light print frock exposing her lovely knees, drawing Walker's eyes to them before he hastily looked elsewhere, anywhere but her knees.

"I thought it might be a prop one, like you see in fights in old westerns, where they smash a chair across some cowboy's shoulders and it smashes to smithereens." Oh dear, she thought to herself, I am so nervous I am talking way too fast!

"No, there are some others back in the store, ones that Bill made, probably spare ones that were not used in a shoot. They are clearly marked up as dummy chairs not for sitting in, though," he said, looking up at her lovely face, a little guiltily that his eyes may have overstayed a tad too long at her knees again. "It seems the workshop is being more and more incorporated into the show as contrast to a new mega furniture store just opening on the outside of town. The director wants to show how some of the pressure of unequal commercial competition was getting to one of the main characters, who is in the midst of taking over the traditional furniture makers from his father and has this big order for bespoke furniture for the Mayor of the town."

"That's interesting," she said.

"I suppose. ... I er wondered when you'd be back from your trip."

"I got back yesterday afternoon," she smiled sweetly, those dimples almost knocking him out again. Perhaps staring at her knees was actually the safer option after all, he thought. "Why, Walker, did you miss me?" she added coyly.

"Er ... yeah, sure I did," he replied, surprising himself at how easily he could answer any question of him she asked, "With Bill off, you're the only friend I've got down here at the Studios."

"That's nice, that we're friends already. Bill and Doreen told me you were a friendly guy."

Walker shifted his attention back on the job in hand and focused hard, seeing every grain in the piece he was working on, every ring a whole year in the life of the living wood, now being given a chance to live on as a thing of beauty for many more years to come. He shook his head and continued his work gluing in the inlays.

She watched him quietly, trying not to distract him as he worked on the table. To Abi, it seemed like the alternate black and white inlays were too tiny for a full grown man's hand to even hold, let alone manipulate so steadily and smoothly into position. She thought it was mesmerising watching the smooth unhurried method of his work. The table was beautiful, yes, but what he was doing to create that lovely object was a thing of beauty in itself. He seemed totally at one with the delicate materials.

She couldn't help wondering how those hands would feel on her body, unhurried, steady, sure and confident, determined, strong but gently, oh so gently, turning and manipulating, stroking each piece lovingly and with utter reverence for the material under his fingertips and the final result, a thing of beauty, which would be pleasing to the eye and smooth as glass to a fingertip touch for centuries to come. Walker's movements became an act of worship on what he was touching, that was as deep and erotic as anything she could possibly imagine.

Walker was using a small brush to apply the minimum layer of hot smelly glue to each tiny piece, dwarfed in his capable hands, then he pressed the pieces into the small rebates in the table and immediately wiped off any residue which oozed out with a clean rag. He worked steadily and quickly, moving with grace, completely at ease with his sure-fingered motions, the resulting joins appearing flush and seamless.

"Walker, wow, that is so beautiful," she said almost breathlessly when he had finished the section he was on and straightened up his back with a stretch that was also poetry in motion to Abi's admiring eye.

Walker looked at her as she sat there leaning forward on that beautiful elegant chair. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, he thought, and she was the most gorgeous thing he'd ever seen. She returned his look, equally enthralled, neither of them had anything to say for a moment. Walker broke his gaze first.

"I, er, must get on with the next section," Walker said, as he started setting out the inlays ready for gluing and insetting.

"And, er, I better get back to work," Abi said.

"I don't know, er, I wonder, would you er ..." Walker started nervously.

She smiled sweetly at his hesitation, "I should be finished about six-ish, Walker, if you'd like to go for a drink, say tea or coffee or something stronger?" she finished, assuming, hoping, that was what he was going to ask, "Just to wind down, of course, er ... this is my first day back, so a chance to relax in pleasant company would be nice."

He smiled back at her in relief. "Yes, of course, it would be good to relax and have a chat. I can finish whatever I am doing, and be ready whenever you are ready, shall I come along to Make-up?"

"No.... No need for that. Why don't I meet you here?" Abi suggested with her dimpled smile. "I'm not sure exactly when I can get away. And I could always sit and watch you while you finish whatever you're doing. I find it ..." she wanted to say 'erotic', but safely added, "... restful."

"Perfect, see you then."

He couldn't help himself. He followed her with his eyes all the way to the door, and returned her gesture as she turned and waved before disappearing.

'Bugger!' he thought, 'I've really got this so bad. I'm definitely headin' for a world of hurt just around the corner.'

Abi only seemed able to breath out once she had turned the corner, completely out of Walker's eye-line. She wobbled, even though she was wearing flat shoes, putting out an arm on the wall to steady herself.

'Bugger, he's really a dish made in heaven,' she thought, 'Being away from him for just a few days has made me desire him even more than before. I really will have to be careful not to frighten him off before he gets used to having me integrated into his life.'

***

Walker cleaned up his work and tools early, around twenty past five, and had a quick shower in the Studio's excellent facilities. He tended to work in coveralls over his underwear, with several clothing changes stored in a spare locker in the workshop. So he was reduced to finding himself idly wiping surfaces down that he had already wiped down at least twice, simply to fill in the time while he waited for Abi to show up. It seemed like hours had elapsed when Abi softly called that she was ready from the doorway, but a glance at his watch showed she was actually ten minutes early.

Abi knew a nice tea shop in a nearby village that would be open until seven. Walker followed just behind her little roadster sports car. Walker favoured an old Land-Rover, it was about thirty years old and extremely utilitarian. He parked next to her shiny car. She jumped out of her smartly gleaming machine, washed and polished during the day by someone the Studios provided, and looked his vehicle over. It was clean, she noticed, but a dull green colour and looked like it could easily blend into the hedgerows on a country track.

"It's a Land-Rover series 3, 1983," he explained proudly, holding a door open so she could see inside, "just the front hubs are new, the rest is completely original. Beautiful, ain't she?"

She smiled, deploying those irresistibly lovely dimples again, "Even the ugliest baby looks like an angel in a mother's eyes, Walker. I prefer the comfortable upholstery and timeless elegance of that Sheraton chair, but I do concede that this Jeep looks ruggedly good for its age."

"It's a Land-Rover, not a Jeep, but while it may be plain and functional, it'll go anywhere that I want it to go, knowin' that it won't ever let me down."

"And good, honest, reliability certainly counts for a lot, I've found, Walker," she tucked her slim arm into the crook of his arm as he nodded his agreement, "Come on, I'm parched and could murder a pot of tea for two and a sticky bun each." She led him into the tea shop.

Abi ordered the tea, sandwiches and selection of cakes, after Walker admitted, "I'll pretty well eat just about anything you care to order from this menu."

"I need to confess something to you, Walker." She smiled sweetly, again with those adorable dimples that seemed to catch his breath, immediately after the waitress left with their order.

"Oh, yeah?" Damn,Walker thought, this is where she tells me she is married or engaged or in an ongoing relationship and that toying with his emotions was just a little bit of diverting fun for her.

"I might have mislead you that I worked in the make-up department."

"So, you're an actress?"

"Yes, my on-screen father is the Mayor, that's John, who plays my character's father in the show. He's the one you're making the furniture for." Abi bit her lip, when she realised he knew she was an actor, "Hey, I thought you said that you didn't watch the show."

"I don't, but when you said you were not in the beauty business, I was left with acting being the most likely alternative to you being relegated to hiding somewhere in the back office."

"Ooh, does that mean you finds little ol' me a 'booty' then, kind sir?" Abi spoke in a West Country accent and fluttered her eyelids, coyly.

"I must confess, me dear, I does." Walker echoed her accent, thinking complete honesty was the best policy in the circumstances. He was unsure where exactly the conversation was going to go. He returned to his normal voice, "You have a natural beauty that don't need no make-up."

"I am wearing lipstick," she admitted. "You know, as an actress I have been told time and time again, for at least the last decade, that I am beautiful, so the compliment doesn't mean all that much to me any more. After all, it involves little effort on my part, as it is mainly down to genes, nature and careful living. Whatever happens, I will look just like every other ordinary middle aged woman in another decade or two, so this concept of 'beauty' is unreal and all very temporary."

"I think you will probably always look beautiful, Abi."

"I am very flattered that you think so, and I think that you don't ever need to wear any make up to be one of the most handsome men I have ever met, and on top of that, a really nice guy, too."

"Wow, I wasn't expecting that ... Abi, not at all. Look, honey, you have to know that I am plenty old enough to be your father."

"Does that mean I'm not allowed to tell you that I like you a lot, or admit that I think you are attractive enough for a girl of any age to regard as desirable?"

"No, of course not. Everyone needs an ego boost now and then, I guess, even an old cast-off like me. I really like you too, Abi, so there's no reason why we can't be good friends who enjoy each other's company."

"No reason at all," she smiled. Then she looked up to smile and nod at the waitress as she brought their pot of tea and food to the table. As the waitress left, she returned her gaze to Walker's eyes and spoke again, "So, tell me Walker, my dear new friend, when are you going to up the ante and invite me out on a few dates?"

Walker's eyebrows raised, his mind whirring. He'd been propositioned by attractive women several times in his barren years since his last marriage ended, and he had declined every single one of them; once burned, no, make that twice burned, meant he was thrice shy. The reason he didn't take up any offers before was that he simply hadn't been interested in any other woman, until now. But Abi was more a girl than a woman, an impossible girlfriend for an old twice-divorced man, still living at home with his old Mum. The thought of them even dating was crazy, an impossible fantasy. What was she playing at? 'Should I just treat this as light and simple as I can and see what happens?' he thought.

Abi took the opportunity to pour the tea while Walker was considering her question. 'Poor man, she thought, he looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I need to keep calm, and not pressurise him into automatic refusal and rejection. Just breathe, smile and treat this as light and simple as possible and get through the initial difficulties.'

"Are you seeing anyone at the moment?" he asked.

She hadn't expected that, but then she thought she should have. She liked the idea that he was so direct. Honesty and frankness was good for long term relationships. She smiled warmly as she handed him his cup of tea.

"No, Walker, I haven't been out on a proper date for over eighteen months, and that was when I needed a straight escort to a function, with no strings attached. And I ended my last relationship with a relatively long term boyfriend nearly two years ago. I have not wanted a date with anyone since then, until now. What about you?"

"What about me?" Walker was still working out what she was leading to.

"How long since you dated?"

"Over five years. Not had a date since my last divorce," Walker, replied slowly, "I've been a little gun-shy of datin', to be honest, the last date I had as a single man was over twenty-two years ago, probably before you were born."

"Just how old do you think I am, Walker? And that is not a trick question. There's a clue in the fact that I am an actress who is presently playing a 19-year-old and I've been a full-time actress since leaving the academy and playing this character since she was 11."

"So you're in your mid-20s?"

"Twenty-six last birthday. When's your birthday, Walker?"

"On May 16, I was 49, Abi," he smiled in reply, "so you are in your mid-20s and I am, maybe only just, but I'm in my 50th year. You still want to ask me about going out on dates?"

Abi smiled broadly, resting her hand on his. "So, where exactly do we stand? I think it's cards on the table time. You now know that I have not dated for a while and my question to you about dates implies that I might be looking to start dating again, if the right person was to ask. And you are saying that you have been free to date without doing so for quite some time. So, on that basis, taking age and all other things out of consideration for the time being, are you willing to ask me out on our first date together?"

"Yes, Abi," he laughed, putting his other hand on top of hers, "tell me, please, my dear new friend, are you free to come out with me for dinner followed by dancing on Friday evening?"

"In fact," Abi told him, "l happen to be free Friday and all weekend."

"Unfortunately," Walker said, "I have to start my night shifts again on Saturday night through to Thursday. I also have to go into the studios on Saturday morning to make some dummy legs for the actor, Gavin, to have something to spokeshave on the shoot on Monday."

Abi nodded, "It is good you're taking your new responsibilities seriously. If you have to work the morning and the night, does that mean you have to have a sleep Saturday afternoon?"

"Yes. Usually two hours is enough to recharge me at the start of a shift cycle."

"I could come to the Studios with you on Saturday, be company for you, then, maybe fetch and carry materials and make the tea. We could have a light lunch together, getting to know each other better. You could always sleep at my place for a couple of hours before you go off to work and I could make dinner for you for when you wake up. I can even pack you a lunch to take with you for halfway through the night. I can promise you that I will try to be good and resist peeking at you in your sleep. You could even lock the door if you feel ... unsafe around me."

He laughed. "Yes, we could do all that. I live with my Mum, and she would definitely regard you as a positive influence on my life."

"And how do you regard me, Walker?"

"I think you are lovely, Abigail."