She's The One

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the afternoon wore on, I took the boys aside and asked them to come to my office as I wanted to chat to them. I was a little nervous as Mick and Nige had been there through all of our music, and the band break up.

"So Jack, what's up? Why did you drag us into the 'Highly Zen' shrine?" Mick asked, laughing at his joke.

"Guys take a seat and have a listen to this and tell me what you think. Honestly." I said, heading to the computer and playing the first song.

Nige and Mick sat there and after the initial shock of hearing me singing a song, they listened intently. Nige was moving his head along with the beat, getting into it. Mick was absorbed, almost taking the music in. I was watching their faces, but they weren't giving anything away.

The song finished. "Well what do you think?" I asked, getting even more nervous as they hadn't said anything.

They looked at each other and Nige smiled. Mick just slightly nodded his head, smiling as well. Nige stood up and came over to me. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tight. I hugged back, surprised. Nigel let go and said quietly "Welcome back Jack."

Mick got up and hugged me too. "We have waited ... 25 years ... to hear you write again. We didn't think it would happen, but it has. That is so good Jack. Really good. Did you write the lyrics too?"

Slightly embarrassed by the attention I replied "Yes I did. Is it really 'good'?"

"Oh yes mate. It is a great song. It might need to be a little quicker in tempo, but it is great." Nige replied

"Yeah and the bass line could do with a little working over, but it is good Jack."

I sighed with relief as my oldest friends; my former band mates liked it. I went on and played the other tunes I had written. Again their enthusiasm for the tracks was infectious. The three of us in the little room, talking music, working on arrangements was just like old times. Mick had my bass and was playing along, adding his own touches like he always did. Nigel was tapping along, indicating flourishes and fills, suggesting tempo changes that always seemed to improve the songs.

Before we knew it Brooke and Cara were looking for their husbands and they came in and heard us working together. They dragged their reluctant husbands away as they did have to return to their homes for the working week to start the following day. As they were leaving the boys were excited to have a jam and play the songs I had written. So we teed up to have a play at school on Friday afternoon at 3:30pm for a couple of hours. We could play there and make some noise without disturbing too many people.

As they left I was as excited as I had been for a long time.

***********

The week at school was busy, and I had a lot on. After hours though I continued to write and I even made that staple of the metal industry, a power ballad. I didn't have the lyrics for that but I kept the song as a work in progress.

Friday afternoon arrived and Gemma joined me after school finished. Her high school was not far away and as she usually did on a Friday she came to my school to meet me so we could travel home together. Today though, she was tasked with running the computer to record our music as we played. Mick and Nige both arrived a little early, Mick carrying his trusty Fender Precision Bass that had played on all of our tracks. Nige was carrying his favourite snare drum and a few sets of sticks. Always the perfectionist he spent the next few minutes manoeuvring the school's drum kit to suit him, while Mick and I tuned up.

We started on the first of the new songs and after about an hour it was ready to get down. We ran through it a couple of times, mostly because of my vocals than anything else. After listening back to the results, feeling quite pleased with our efforts, we started to work on the second track. The great feeling of us all playing together was palpable. While we were more than a little rusty, the camaraderie we shared got us through.

We knew we had to wrap up by about 5:30, so we finished playing around with the new track. I said to the boys "Why don't we play an old one, just to finish off?" before breaking into the opening chords of 'She's the One'.

Nige played the drum intro with a huge smile on his face, Mick and I both chimed in and the song began to rock. We were all facing each other, rocking out. When it came time for the lyrics, Mick and I looked at each other, before I stepped to the mike and sang our most famous tune. It was a little different singing and playing the song, but Mick helped out, backing my vocals up automatically, so the vocals kept going even when I was soloing. We rocked out like it was 1993 again, playing like we were back at the Hammersmith Apollo, our very last gig.

As we brought the song to its conclusion Nige was standing up behind the kit, I was soloing out facing him and Mick had his foot up on the bass drum. As we finished together we could hear clapping from the back of the room. Gemma was clapping happily and standing next to her was Donna, her face beaming with her beautiful smile.

"That was brilliant Jack. I haven't heard that song in ages. You guys are good. Nearly as good as when I saw 'Highly Zen', when they played at the Hammersmith in '93'." Donna said with great excitement.

Hearing Donna say this Nige began playing a familiar drum beat and Mick played along. I spun around to face them and instinctively played along. It was the music we used when introducing ourselves individually to the audience.

Mick spoke into the mike, just like he always used to. "At the back, the engine room of the band and now very successful lawyer, Nigel Anderson."

Nigel then spoke "On the bass keeping us locked in together, the 'Rockingest' car dealer I know Mick Hazelton." He was now laughing at the introductions.

Mick laughed and spoke again "And on lead guitar and vocals now apparently, the music teacher extraordinaire, Jack Larson... And we are, or we used to be 'Highly Zen'".

The look on Donna's face was priceless.

"Really!... 'Highly Zen' here at my school. My music teacher the lead guitarist... I knew I recognised you, but I couldn't for the life of me work out from where."

I had put my guitar down and walked over to Donna. "Yes Donna we used to be 'Highly Zen' and today was the first time we have played together since ... when was it Mick?"

"October '93 Jack, in the studio." Mick said, with an ironic grin that said so much to me, but would have meant little to anyone else.

I took Donna and introduced her properly to Mick and Nigel. She had transformed over the space of a couple of minutes from 'mild mannered Principal' to 'gushing fan girl'.

"I saw you play that night at the Hammersmith and you guys were brilliant. I hadn't heard your music before but you blew me away. The songs were rocking, but catchy. 'She's the One' was the perfect finishing song... Wow! I can't believe it."

We were talking about that show when Donna's mobile phone rang. She looked at it and said "It's Mackenzie. I have to go and get her from the train station. Jack we will need to talk more about this. See you next week?" Donna reached out and ran her hand down my arm, our fingers lightly touching as she moved away.

"Yes Donna. We will definitely catch up."

"See you then. Bye Mick and Nigel. Nice to meet you too."

"Bye Donna." They both said.

As she headed out of the room she said goodbye to Gemma as well.

I watched Donna walk outside, past the windows in the music room when I noticed Mick and Nigel were laughing to themselves.

"What's so funny? I asked

Nigel shook his head and said "We play together one time and you already have a 'groupie'."

"Just like the old days. The girls always go for the lead guitarist." Mick said laughing.

I was about to respond when Gemma piped up. "That's a good thing. The guitarist is single and you guys are married."

We all laughed at Gemma's comment before packing everything up to leave. I told the guys I would mix the song a little and send them copies during the week. They liked that and we agreed to have another jam next Friday.

As Gemma and I headed home, she was talking enthusiastically about our music. She had never heard us play together and couldn't believe how good we were. I was listening to her speak, but my mind was on Donna.

"Gem, how long was Donna watching us play?" I asked.

"She came into the room just after you started playing 'She's the One'." Gemma replied she looked across at me and smiled what I can only describe as a knowing smile.

"Did she speak to you? What did she say?"

Gemma had a big grin on her face now. "Well Donna came into the room with a ... surprised look on her face. She saw me at the computer and said hello, saying how I must be your daughter and introduced herself. I introduced myself and Donna said how good you were playing. I said yes you were playing well. We listened along and you finished the song."

My daughter knew me so well. She could see that I was fishing for information about Donna and she was making it as difficult as possible.

"The look on Donna's face when Uncle Nige and Uncle Mick started to play your intro music and introduced themselves was hilarious. That was when she realised who you were Dad."

I looked at Gemma and smiled, continuing our drive home. We drove in silence for a while as I was deep in thought about Donna. After a short while Gemma spoke up. This time she sounded serious. "Dad you SHOULD ask her out."

"Really Gem? I... like Donna and I don't want to make a fool of myself." I confided.

"Dad, I think she likes you too." Gemma said putting her hand on my shoulder.

As we had stopped at some traffic lights, I turned my head. Gemma had a beautiful look on her face. She just knew that I was interested in Donna and she was doing her best to reassure me it was the right thing. I leant my face down and kissed Gemma's hand.

"Thank you sweetheart." I said. Gemma squeezed my shoulder and we continued our journey home.

************

The following week at work was strange. I was on edge wanting to ask Donna out, but waiting for the right opportunity. I couldn't just barge into her office and ask her. I also wanted to avoid scrutiny from our colleagues, because news of us going out, if she did want to go out with me, would spread like wild fire as gossip is like gold in workplaces like this. On Monday I was really busy and missed seeing her. On Tuesday and Wednesday Donna was away from the school at meetings with the two other schools in our region we worked really closely with, Lachlan Vale and the school where my ex-wife is the Principal, Roberts Park.

Thursday came and I only had 1 class after recess, so I headed to the offices and staff room to grab a coffee before heading back to my classroom to keep working on arrangements for the school musical. As I walked through the offices I noticed Donna's door was open. I looked inside and Donna was typing on her computer. She looked so good. She was wearing glasses which I hadn't seen her wear before, their red frames complementing her hair, and framing her face beautifully.

I knocked on the door and said "Hello Donna."

She looked up from her computer with a little surprise, but her smile spread wide across her face. "Oh Jack hi how are you?" she gushed. "Come in, close the door and sit down."

I did as she asked as Donna quickly finished typing.

"There... Done and sent. Wow Jack. How are you? I still can't get over having a rock star at the school."

"I'm good Donna. And you don't have a 'rock star' at the school. You have a music teacher who played in a band over 25 years ago."

Donna was reaching into her desk drawer and got something out. "When I got home on Friday afternoon I went looking and found this." She handed me a CD. It was our 'Highly Zen' album with the UK cover. Just looking at the picture of us we looked so different. I looked so young and the long hair we had back then was hilarious. As I looked I could see my reflection on the CD case. I could see the last 25 years of my life right before my eyes.

"I played it and it still sounds great... Last Friday I could hear you playing after school and I didn't recognise the song you were working on, but it sounded good. I went across to see you before I left and you started to play 'She's the One' and I couldn't believe it. I hadn't heard it in years... You all played it so well. I just didn't realise that you wrote it and played it originally.'

"Yes that was us. Guilty as charged... Did you really see us at the Hammersmith?"

"Oh yes. My boyfriend at the time wanted to see the headliners and he dragged me along. We were quite near the front. I remember seeing you play. You were so good that night... You could tell you were all playing ... with real energy, trying to make it. The headliners were a bit blasé, just another gig. Was it really your last show?"

"Yep. We broke up trying to record our second album and we hadn't played together till last Friday." I replied. Looking at Donna she looked so happy talking with me, so relaxed with me. Now was the time.

"Donna, how long have you lived here since coming from Sydney?"

"Jack it would only be...ummmm... 6 weeks. I moved down here the week before we came back to work. Why do you ask?"

"Have you had much of a chance to have a look around the area yet?"

"No not really. I'm still trying to get my house set up and get my head around the job here."

I took a deep breath. "Donna... Would you like to go out with me on Saturday? I could show you around the area, have lunch together, a nice day out."

Donna bit her bottom lip and broke out her beautiful smile. "Jack Larson are you asking me on a date?"

With all the bravado of the 'rock star' I used to be I said "Yes Donna Silk I am."

Donna was just beaming when she said "Oh Jack I'd love to. That sounds really good."

We briefly arranged for me to pick her up from her house at 10am on Saturday. I then said "I had better get your number from you." As I got my phone from my pocket. I set up to create a new contact when Donna took my phone.

"It will be quicker if I do it." She said with a smile. When she finished her mobile rang. "And now I have your number too, as 'you' just rang me." She said laughing.

Just then her office phone rang and Donna answered. She spoke briefly before excusing herself from the call. "Sorry Jack, but I have to take this... I can't wait to see you on Saturday."

"Neither can I. I'll talk to you before then... Bye Donna.

"Bye Jack."

As I left her office I was on cloud nine.

************

It was an overcast day with a cool wind blowing when I arrived at Donna's house that Saturday morning. I was wearing my jeans, nice shirt and boots, wanting to look casually good. Our houses were only about 5 minutes apart, so it was easy to get to her place. We had been texting each other a little over the previous couple of days, and I was well and truly excited about going out with her. On my way there I took a slight detour to a florist and picked up a bunch of daisies to give to Donna. I remembered seeing that she had a daisy charm on a necklace she wore and I thought she might like them.

I knocked on her door and Donna answered straight away. She looked amazing. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful smile on her face as she looked happy to see me. Her stunning red hair was out and around her shoulders. She was wearing a black jacket over a white shirt, with tight black jeans and black knee high boots.

"Hi Jack." Donna said, sounding both a little excited and nervous.

"Hi Donna. You look great." I said at my eloquent best.

She giggled and moved her hair with her right hand. "Thanks Jack. You look great too." She replied, seemingly a little embarrassed by my compliment.

I then pulled the flowers out from behind my back. "Oh these are for you. I hope you like them."

"Oh Jack they're gorgeous. Thank you so much. How did you know I liked daisies?"

"I remembered you had a necklace with a daisy charm on it, so I thought you must like them."

"I do Jack, they are my favourite. Come in while I put these in some water."

Going inside, Donna's house looked really nice. It was quite new, bright and airy. "Sorry about the mess. I'm still getting everything where I want it."

"It looks great Donna. I love the pictures."

"Mackenzie painted them. She is so artistic, not like me, or her father either for that matter... There the daisies are done. Thank you again Jack." She said as she put them in pride of place on the dining table.

We left her house and drove 20 minutes to a nice little beachside town. Our conversation in the car had been about work, nothing too deep. On arrival we found a little café and grabbed a couple of coffees. As we sat down I asked "Well Donna what brings a beautiful English woman out here to our little town?"

Donna blushed a little as I said this and laughed. I really liked that Donna is quick witted. She flicked her hair back with her hand and said "Hi I'm Donna. I'm 43, single and originally from Surrey." Playing along like we were on a 'speed date' or something. She laughed as she said this and I was laughing too.

Calming down a little she said "I came out to Australia because my husband was from Sydney. We met at the school where I was teaching in London. James had just graduated over here and wanted to work in England... We met, started going out, fell in love..." she smiled.

"We got married in 2002, and I had Mackenzie in 2005. When Mackenzie was 3, we decided to move out here permanently. I had been here visiting his family before and thought it would be a good move. And it was. We love it in Australia..." Donna's voice then changed a little.

"James and I wanted more children and we weren't having success. He was getting tired very easily and really bad migraines ... we had tests to find out why we weren't falling pregnant and found out that he had a brain tumour."

I reached out and held Donna's hand. "Oh Donna, that must have been terrible." I said, not really knowing what to say. She smiled at me and then continued on.

"James had chemo and radiation, and it took ages, but he finally got the all clear. He was off work for nearly 12 months as he needed time to recuperate. I was working and Mackenzie was now at school. He was well for nearly 2 years before the tumour came back... This time his fight was just for time. He passed away in October 2014..."

I was still holding Donna's hand and looking into her eyes. She was blinking a little more than usual, and a few tears were rolling down her cheeks. She let go of my hand, took a tissue from her handbag and dabbed her eyes dry.

Donna looked at me and sighed, a look of concern came across her face. "I struggled for a long while Jack... I knew he was going to 'go', but it was hard, really hard to keep it together, especially for Mackenzie... I looked after her and she looked after me... James' family were really good, as were all my friends who I taught with, so that helped me greatly... I actually thought about going back to England, but decided against it as being out here felt like home.

"I buried myself in my work and looking after Mackenzie. These things kept me going... I worked hard and made Vice Principal at Bradford. I enjoyed it, but I was feeling... 'Empty' at home. Mackenzie and I talked so many times about moving away from the city, away from our old house and all the sadness in its walls... The job came up here and I am so glad I applied for it. A completely new start for Mackenzie and me." Donna said, her face now back to its usual happy countenance.

"You have had so much happen Donna. How does Mackenzie feel about boarding school?" I asked.

"She actually wanted to stay at the school, as she has so many friends there. Her father went to the boy's school associated with Ravensfield and he wanted Mackenzie to go to that school. She knows he wants her to be there and I think that is another reason why she chose to stay there."