She's The One

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh... ok." Angela replied, content with my response.

Angela and I then chatted briefly about Mick and Nigel and their families. Even though we weren't together and there was still some animosity between us, we did share a lot of history, and we did try to be civil to each other.

I then asked Angela what she thought of Donna. "Jack she is very good. She is the breath of fresh air we needed around here. She's good to work with, flexible where needed, but firm in her ideas. A very smart woman."

"That's good to hear. The staff here all like her."

We then said our goodbyes as she headed back into the meeting.

That afternoon I was giving a music lesson after school for a student. As we wrapped up and the child left, Donna came into my classroom.

"Hello gorgeous. How has your day been?" I asked, feeling very happy to see her.

Donna didn't look as happy. She came over to me and said "You were married to Angela weren't you Jack?"

"Yes I was Donna." I replied. Donna looked a little sad as I said this. "How did you find out?"

"I saw you two talking in the staff room, and I asked Angela how she knew you and she said that you were married previously." Donna said, getting a bit more upset as she spoke.

I put my arm around Donna and she tensed up a little as I did this which was totally unlike her.

"What's wrong Honey?" I asked.

Donna began to sniffle. "Jack how can I compete against her. She's so attractive. Slim, tanned, dark hair..."

I turned and faced her. I couldn't believe Donna felt threatened by Angela. "Donna she cheated on me, with her current husband... I don't love her. I haven't loved her for years... You're the woman I love."

Donna's sniffling stopped and she looked at me. "What did you just say?"

I just smiled. I hadn't meant to say I loved her, but I did truly love her. Putting my arms around her I moved close to her.

"I love you Donna." I said smiling.

"Oh 'my' Jack, I love you too." Donna said, with more tears running down her face. We hugged tight and kissed. Moving our faces apart I ran my hand down her cheek, gently wiping her tears.

"I love you so much Donna. You are everything to me."

"I love you Jack, more than you can imagine."

We cuddled and kissed again. Holding her tight I looked around and it dawned on me we were still in my classroom. I began to giggle slightly.

"What is it Sweetheart?" Donna asked.

"Well I was kind of hoping we were in a bit more of a romantic setting when I told you I loved you."

Donna melted into me even more. "It doesn't matter where we are... I love you Jack..."

"I love you too."

***************

We headed towards the end of the term and Donna and I planned to get away together during the school holidays. We still hadn't told anyone at work we were in a relationship and thankfully for us no one had twigged that we were together.

It was funny at work as the teachers seemed to fall into three distinct groups. There were the young, inexperienced and generally single teachers starting out their careers. Then there were the more experienced teachers who were in relationships and had young families. Then finally there were the more experienced of us. As I was experienced, but single, I didn't seem to fit into any of the groups.

At lunch one day, I was talking to my good friend Chris. She was the 'senior' teacher at the school having been there the longest. She was in her last year of teaching before retiring, as she wanted to spend more time with her children and grandchildren. She had always taught the younger kids in Year 1 and 2, and had even taught Gemma when she was at the school.

The kids at school all loved Chris as she made learning fun. We had always had a good relationship, as she was a straight talker and didn't listen to gossip. As we chatted Chris mentioned that I seemed happier than I had been for a while. I told her I was in a good place at the moment.

Talking together over lunch I was in a great mood as we talked about her grandkids and our respective children. I was teaching Chris's class after lunch, and she and I were talking a little about what I was going to be doing with her pupils.

While we were talking I noticed that Donna had walked into the room and proceeded to chat with other colleagues and get her lunch from the fridge. I was still talking to Chris but I must admit I was a little distracted by Donna coming into the room.

As we finished lunch and were about to head over to Chris's classroom to get her class, Chris wrapped her arm into mine and just held me back a little, so we were the last to leave the staff room. We then walked out towards her class when she asked "Jack what is going on with you and Donna?"

"What... what do you mean?" I babbled in response.

"Come on Jack. I know you too well. I can see the way you look at her and the way she looks at you. Something is going on."

"Chris please promise me, promise me you won't tell anyone."

"I won't Jack. I'm right though aren't I? Something is going on isn't it?" she said now grinning.

I took a deep breath "We have been going out for 2 months now Chris." I replied a little relieved I had finally told someone.

"Jack that is great. She is really nice. Is it serious between you two?"

"Well I love her and she loves me so ... Yes it is serious."

"Oh Jack that's wonderful, you two would be... Actually are good together. Donna is smart, sweet, funny but serious when she has to be. And Jack you are just the sweetest man I know... I'm so happy for you, for you both."

Chris wrapped her arm around my waist and squeezed me. I had my arm around her shoulders and hugged her too.

"Don't tell anyone. Please Chris. You know what gossip like that would be like around 'here'."

Chris laughed. "Don't worry Jack. I wouldn't want some of the 'gossip vultures' to ruin what you two have... Just remember though, if you get married I want an invitation."

"You will be the first I invite."

************

On our holidays Donna, Mackenzie and I went up to the Gold Coast. While Mackenzie wasn't fully thrilled to be going away with her mother and her new boyfriend, she did have a good time. The best thing was that Donna and I were able to be out together as a couple without the fear of bumping into anyone we knew.

We enjoyed the sun and the surf, as well as a few theme parks Mackenzie wanted to visit. Mackenzie enjoyed going on some of the more 'extreme rides' with me, as her mother was a bit 'chicken'. As we walked around Surfers Paradise I pointed out a few clubs where the band had played back in our early touring days.

While on the Gold Coast we went and visited my parents so they could meet Donna. They had moved up there about 5 years earlier when the retired. They immediately loved Donna and Mackenzie, and both Mum and Dad took me aside during our visit to say how great Donna was, and that I should do everything to look after her.

One night when we were in bed, Donna cuddled into me, laying her head on my shoulder.

"Umm Jack... It might be a little late to ask now... But just how ... rrrrr... 'Wild' were you with the band? Was it really 'sex, drugs and rock and roll'?" she asked looking up at me, the curiosity written all over her face.

I shifted in the bed, out from under Donna and rolled onto my side so I could face her. "Yes we... I was a little wild, but probably not as bad as you might think."

"What was the craziest thing you did then?"

I thought briefly before answering. "I would say it was when I did 'lines' off a stripper's stomach."

Donna seemed taken aback. "What?... When was that?"

"That was after the Hammersmith gig, at the party the headliners threw. Nikki dragged me over and we both did this. ... About 10 minutes later I was violently ill." I laughed remembering Mick helping me.

Donna was looking at me curiously.

"We were so out of our depth at that party Honey... When we were touring we drank a bit and yes, had girls chasing us. In the beginning when we started touring as a band, our schedule was so jammed packed that we were either playing or travelling to the next gig. Our management organised it so that as we finished one gig, we left straight away for the next, travelling to the next town. So we didn't really have time for 'groupies'. We did drink a fair bit though.

"Drugs really only came on the scene when we were more successful and were playing festivals with other bands. I only ever dabbled a little with 'coke'. The others did a few different things... I don't think, actually I know Pat never stopped doing them...

"Anyway in terms of groupies, I was still shy around girls." I laughed. Donna laughed too, looking at me in such a loving way.

I continued "Yes I know that's not very 'rock star' like, but I never felt like a rock star, just me. I can only ever recall being with 2 girls, and one of these was a girl I knew from school who came to see us play. It was funny but at school she didn't want to know me, but as a musician... Well you know what I mean. The other was at a festival and was more of a ... Well a more typical 'groupie' experience. This lady showed her appreciation for my playing ... While she was 'down on her knees' so to speak. And that was that. I didn't have a real girlfriend until at Uni. I was shy and got tongue tied with girls until I became friends with them and got to know them."

Donna was smiling "So if I had come up to you after the show what would you have done?"

"Back then I would have thanked you for being a fan, signed an autograph and probably not a lot more." Donna was frowning at my answer. "And that would have been because I didn't know you... If I had of had the chance to get to know you, well look at us now. I'm with the woman I love more than anything in the world."

"And I love you more than anything."

We kissed a little before Donna asked "Well what was that party like, you know in London?"

I laughed and shook my head a little "I had never seen anything like it, and I doubt I ever will again. They had a whole club for themselves. Music was playing and the place was packed with so many girls, models, stunning looking women. No one paid any attention to 4 young Aussie guys there. I was only 20 at the time and I had never seen anything like it. The drinks were flowing and we all got stuck in.

"The place livened up when the headliners walked in. The girls flocked to them and they proceeded to have their own brand of fun. The night went on and I was... Ummm... 'Very merry' by the time Nikki found me at the bar. I thanked him for inviting us and he said he liked our playing. He then dragged me over to where the rest of his band was sitting, and they were ... It was a very hedonistic scene, models, strippers all there. Mick came with me, and their band all greeted us warmly. Nikki then got one of the strippers to lie down on the table and he put the coke on her stomach and he did some and insisted that I do some too. I did it and... Well what we had dabbled a little with was nothing like what I had then.

"We apparently all talked for a few minutes before Mick and I went to get another drink. It then all hit me all at once and I was so sick. I only just made it to the bathroom before being violently ill. Mick came and found me, and even though he was quite drunk, he managed to look after me, getting me out of there and back to our hotel. We were rooming together and he looked after me... Waking the next morning I swore I'd never do any drugs again and I haven't. And, to be honest, after the band broke up I haven't had much to drink either. ... In fact before I had a couple of beers with Andrew on his 18th, I had only had some champagne at my wedding since the band breakup."

"So all you didn't drink at all though Uni? That would have been tough knowing the parties we used to have back then?"

"Yes and no." I laughed saying "Drinking beers and cheap spirits at a Uni party didn't really compare with what I had experienced previously. So it wasn't too hard to say no."

Donna seemed happier now that all my 'sordid' past was out in the open. I then realised I had never seen Donna drink.

"You don't drink either do you Donna?"

She smiled a bit and said "No I don't. I ummm had a 'bad' experience in my last year of university."

"What happened?"

"I was out with my best friend Lily and we were clubbing in London and I had my drink spiked."

"That's terrible Donna."

"Yes thankfully Lily rescued me and got us back to our flat. I'm so glad she was there. I hate to think what might have happened if she hadn't been there."

Looking at Donna I could see even the thoughts of this were shaking her up. I reached out and held her close, cuddling her to comfort her.

**************

Donna and I were in love and getting closer every day. She met my friends and became great friends with Nigel and Mick's wives. We had travelled to Sydney a few times and I was introduced to her friends she worked with previously. They were very protective of Donna, but seemed to like me all the same. We finally got to catch up with my son Andrew and he liked Donna too.

I was still playing music with Nige and Mick. By the middle of the year we had recorded 18 tracks, mostly rockers, a couple of slower ones and the last one was an acoustic love song. The boys gave me a ribbing about this one when I brought it in and played it for the first time, but they liked it. It was the only track that they didn't want to change in any way.

"That song is perfect Jack. We will just accompany you." Mick said.

At our next gathering with all our families in attendance, we played them the recorded tracks, except the love song, as I was saving that for a more special moment. Donna, Mackenzie and Gemma loved the music, as did everyone else. Brooke asked us what we were going to do with the songs. The boys and I looked at each other. We had never really considered what would happen next; we just loved the process of playing together again.

A week or so later Nige arranged for Mick and me to meet him in his office after work. He had been looking at our original management and recording contracts and he said he had found something interesting. We had been signed to record 2 albums, but there was a clause in the contract that insisted that there were 3 members of the original signed contract to be in the band that recorded the albums. As Pat recorded by himself and didn't use the 'Highly Zen' name, we still 'needed' to record the second album. While we hadn't been paid any advances for the second album, we still legally had the opportunity to record this.

We sat around Nige's desk and talked about what we should do. We all had jobs we liked, and were relatively financially secure, but the buzz we felt when playing together was great. Mick chipped in wondering if anyone would still want to listen to us, or to buy our music. I said only one person could tell us if there was still going to be demand for 'Highly Zen' and that was our old manager. Nige got his secretary to contact him and arrange a meeting.

Our meeting with Mark Masterton was nearly a month later when we could finally get in to see him. He did indeed remember us, and even though we broke up very quickly after our success, he continued handling our music affairs for a few years after, especially with royalties and the like from our songs. The meeting was quite productive. After a catch up, Nigel presented our contracts and we played our demos for him. He took a copy of the demos and would get back in touch with us.

When he did get back in touch Mark was pleased with the response our demos had received. Not only were the record company happy to record them, but he had interest in us playing live again, on one of the summer tours that bands from the 90's were now doing. These shows were over about 6 weeks during summer and there were 6 to 8 other bands on the bill, playing in vineyards and the like to 'well-heeled' punters who were there when we played originally and wanted to relive the experience. It was arranged that we would record our album over a couple of weeks of the September school holidays, and if it was a good record, we might tour.

Hearing all this had me very excited, but also a little nervous. Donna and I were planning to move in together and I wasn't sure how she would react to me having a music career again.

Donna and I had been going out for about 8 months now. She had been renting her house and we were spending time at each other's house. One night at my house we were cuddling on the lounge when Donna mentioned how much she liked my house and how warm and 'cosy' it felt.

"Well why don't you move in with me?" I asked on the spur of the moment.

"Unm ahhh ... Really Jack? You want us to live together?"

"Of course Donna. I love you and would love to share my life fully with you."

Donna bit her lip, before breaking into her beautiful smile. "Yes Jack. Let's do that. I love you and want to spend all my time with you too."

So it was settled. We worked out the logistics, with Mackenzie having Andrew's old room as he didn't stay with me anymore, cancelled Donna's lease and told all our children. It was very exciting beginning the next chapter of our life together.

Strangely though, as the time to move in together got closer we started to argue. We seemed to disagree on lots of things, how I did something, why Donna did things her way. It was just nit picking, but it did bring a lot of tension to our relationship.

On the week of the move I couldn't see Donna as the band was recording our album. It was a hectic time in the studio, but as we had been playing the songs for the best part of 6 months they came together quickly. The producer was very experienced and as we were a more 'mature' band he didn't have any problems getting us to work hard and get our songs recorded. The songs sounded great and thankfully didn't require a lot of extra work.

The vocals took a while to record as I hadn't been the lead singer before, and the producer cleverly used Mick's backing vocals to fill the sound out, so the songs really worked. We also changed a few songs so that Mick would sing lead vocals on a couple of tracks, particularly on songs that had more complicated guitar parts. Listening to the mixes, we also decided to get Nige to sing a song on the album. His voice was a little more 'bluesier' then either I or Mick and one track really suited him.

After finishing at the studio, I managed to catch up with Donna the day before our move and she was strangely subdued. We talked and Donna just didn't seem herself. She insisted everything was alright, but I could tell something was wrong. I suggested that we take some boxes over to my house to get an early start and Donna went really quiet.

"Donna Honey, are you worried about moving in with me?"

As I asked this she burst into tears. I wrapped my arms around her and held Donna close. She looked at me with tear filled eyes and said "Jack... What happens if we ... Don't get along and break up? I'm scared Jack."

"Donna my love, I'm scared too. But I'm excited as well. You are the best thing that has happened to me and I want to share everything with you. Do you want 'us' to be together?"

"Yes Jack more than anything. I just hope we don't fight all the time?" Donna replied.

"I don't think we will. We will work out how to live together I just know it. We are both easy going people and love each other, so I know it will work out."

"Oh darling I love you."

The move went well over the weekend, with all the kids, including Andrew helping. The first night altogether in 'our house' we had Take-away for dinner as we were all too tired to cook. I was in the kitchen tidying up after dinner and I looked across into the lounge room. I could see all of my 'family' together. Gemma and Mackenzie were chatting away, and Donna was talking with Andrew. I had the biggest smile on my face, I couldn't have been happier.